Safe Passage SSH VPN for securing wireless connections?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 21, 2004 3:25:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.unix,comp.security.misc (More info?)

I'm currently using Safe Passage (see http://www.vastrange.com) for
both my VPN from home to work (and work to home). It uses SSH to
tunnel my traffic through my SSH server at work (and I'm running open
SSH at home so I can get stuff off of my desktop at home).

Seems like SSH would be a great way to secure wireless connections
too. Does this kind of thing solve the supposed wireless security
problem? Or is it something else?

--Scoots
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 22, 2004 10:31:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.unix,comp.security.misc (More info?)

scotty@cm.math.uiuc.edu (joe briggs) wrote in message news:<e95a3792.0406211025.7058432e@posting.google.com>...

Some people have asked me about this client. There is no need for a
proxy with this app. It tunnels all traffic as well as DNS.

> I'm currently using Safe Passage (see http://www.vastrange.com) for
> both my VPN from home to work (and work to home). It uses SSH to
> tunnel my traffic through my SSH server at work (and I'm running open
> SSH at home so I can get stuff off of my desktop at home).
>
> Seems like SSH would be a great way to secure wireless connections
> too. Does this kind of thing solve the supposed wireless security
> problem? Or is it something else?
>
> --Scoots
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 23, 2004 1:25:14 PM

joe briggs wrote:

> I'm currently using Safe Passage (see http://www.vastrange.com) for
> both my VPN from home to work (and work to home). It uses SSH to
> tunnel my traffic through my SSH server at work (and I'm running open
> SSH at home so I can get stuff off of my desktop at home).
>
> Seems like SSH would be a great way to secure wireless connections
> too. Does this kind of thing solve the supposed wireless security
> problem? Or is it something else?
>
> --Scoots

Any proper VPN solves the problems of wireless security, except for the
obvious one: denial of service.

You have to make sure that the attacker can't get control of the client,
i.e. at least you need a firewall to protect it against attacks that
arrive below the VPN layer.

-- Lassi
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 23, 2004 2:38:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.unix,comp.security.misc (More info?)

scotty@cm.math.uiuc.edu (joe briggs) wrote in

> Seems like SSH would be a great way to secure wireless connections
> too. Does this kind of thing solve the supposed wireless security
> problem? Or is it something else?

Nothing new, a lot of corporate wireless networks are secured via some form
of VPN.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)