Direct X 9 and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

doncarriere

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Hi
I am installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with an ATI 5970 video card. Now I know the ATI drivers will give me DirectX 11 but do I still hae to manually install Direct X9c for older games that use it?

Solution
Sorry to now give conflicting advice to the others, but yes, download and run the latest DirectX Runtimes to get a fully up to date and complete library, or you may experience graphical issues/crashes in some games.

xNoXiOuS

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Nope, if you have DX11 you're good to go. However, with older games you might run into some compatibility issues. A similar question has already been brought up here. I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 4890, granted it's a DX10 card, I'm still able to play older games no problem like AoE2 and Rise of Nations. I even run Starcraft on it (with minor issues) but usually if theres a compatibility issue 9 times out of 10 someone has conjured up a fix for it.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
That said, I have encountered a few issues with DX9 games on Win7 that were solved by installing the latest DX9 End-User runtime files from the MS website. It certainly won't hurt...
Not sure if the original DX9 dll's were corrupted or what, but the DX9 update helped me!