Easy upload for d2 pictures

As several providers like Geocities offer free webspace, but limit the
views per hour or day I wondered if it is a viable solution to create
my very own upload service for the newsgroup.

The following requirements are necessary to prevent abuse of this
service.

Registration process
- Register with your own valid mail address as you will get
an email with a validation link.
- Passwords are encrypted before storage in the database, so
you can't recover them, I will build in a feature for
generating new passwords if it is needed.
- The IP address you used to register from is stored in the
database.

Uploads
- Only image files, GIF and JPG format
- Size limit 200k per file
- Uploaded files will be deleted after one week

I would be pleased if you try it out and give me some feedback (well,
if you find an exploit that is seriously harmful better not publicly
though (-; ):
http://test.internet-webmaster.de/register.php

--
AGD2 FAQ: http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php
17 answers Last reply

    > Uploads
    > - Only image files, GIF and JPG format

    Why not png too? Jpg is OKAY, but as far as lossless picture compressions go
    png is better, because it can have 24 bit color, as opposed to gif's 8 bit
    color.

    --
    Vladimir Niksic
    vniksic@inet.h

    Vladimir Niksic wrote:
    > > Uploads
    > > - Only image files, GIF and JPG format
    >
    > Why not png too? Jpg is OKAY, but as far as lossless picture
    > compressions go png is better, because it can have 24 bit color, as
    > opposed to gif's 8 bit color.

    Because I have yet to see a D2 screenshot that has been converted to
    PNG before upload.

    Hi,

    "Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in news:3btdkfF6jccgqU1
    @individual.net:

    > Uploads
    > - Only image files, GIF and JPG format
    > - Size limit 200k per file
    > - Uploaded files will be deleted after one week
    >
    > I would be pleased if you try it out and give me some feedback (well,
    > if you find an exploit that is seriously harmful better not publicly
    > though (-; ):
    > http://test.internet-webmaster.de/register.php

    well, I just registered as I've always wanted a place to put one or the
    other screenshot.

    But looking at the shots in my D2 directory, they all are more than 400K in
    size. And even if I convert them to GIF format, they are about 205K+..

    Any idea how I get them down in size?

    Thanks for the great idea,

    Oliver

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:46:55 +0200, Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de>
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > "Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in news:3btdkfF6jccgqU1
    > @individual.net:
    >
    >> Uploads
    >> - Only image files, GIF and JPG format
    >> - Size limit 200k per file
    >> - Uploaded files will be deleted after one week
    >>
    >> I would be pleased if you try it out and give me some feedback (well,
    >> if you find an exploit that is seriously harmful better not publicly
    >> though (-; ):
    >> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/register.php
    >
    > well, I just registered as I've always wanted a place to put one or the
    > other screenshot.
    >
    > But looking at the shots in my D2 directory, they all are more than 400K
    > in
    > size. And even if I convert them to GIF format, they are about 205K+..
    >
    > Any idea how I get them down in size?

    If you're using XP, you can just right-click jpegs and click Resize
    Picture. The large size will still be under 100kb.

    --
    freemont

    Oliver Wenzel wrote:
    > But looking at the shots in my D2 directory, they all are more than
    > 400K in size. And even if I convert them to GIF format, they are
    > about 205K+..
    >
    > Any idea how I get them down in size?

    You could try IrfanView: http://www.irfanview.com/

    Gundemarie Scholz <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote:

    /snip
    > I would be pleased if you try it out and give me some feedback (well,
    > if you find an exploit that is seriously harmful better not publicly
    > though (-; ):
    > http://test.internet-webmaster.de/register.php

    Everything worked like a charm. Registered, logged in and uploaded a file
    without any trouble, counter displayed correctly: "You have 1 file
    uploaded".

    Is there a way we could add a comment to an uploaded screenshot?

    --
    Duergar
    Great idea! Dyakuyu! <-- I really like that word :)

    "Duergar" <duergar@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Gundemarie Scholz <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote:
    >
    > /snip
    >> I would be pleased if you try it out and give me some feedback (well,
    >> if you find an exploit that is seriously harmful better not publicly
    >> though (-; ):
    >> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/register.php
    >
    > Everything worked like a charm. Registered, logged in and uploaded a file
    > without any trouble, counter displayed correctly: "You have 1 file
    > uploaded".
    >
    > Is there a way we could add a comment to an uploaded screenshot?

    Why not just edit the pic and add you comment across the top or bottom?

    --
    In a World Full of Insanity
    Here I Stand.

    Duergar wrote:
    > Is there a way we could add a comment to an uploaded screenshot?

    There is of course a way, but I don't want to do it as it would
    involve building a page around the picture rather than just linking to
    it when you are describing it here in the newsgroup. And don't forget
    that files get deleted after a week anyway. I might extend that range,
    but I don't know yet how interesting this service is for you, and I
    only have a limited amount of webspace and transfer per month, so I
    want to start it slowly.

    Freemont <yabba@dabba.doo> wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:46:55 +0200, Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Any idea how I get them down in size?
    >
    > If you're using XP, you can just right-click jpegs and click Resize
    > Picture. The large size will still be under 100kb.

    Are you sure this is WinXP built-in feature? Could it be that some
    application integrated it into the right click menu?

    --
    Duergar

    Gundemarie Scholz <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote:
    > Duergar wrote:
    >> Is there a way we could add a comment to an uploaded screenshot?
    >
    > There is of course a way, but I don't want to do it as it would
    > involve building a page around the picture rather than just linking to
    > it when you are describing it here in the newsgroup. And don't forget
    > that files get deleted after a week anyway. I might extend that range,
    > but I don't know yet how interesting this service is for you, and I
    > only have a limited amount of webspace and transfer per month, so I
    > want to start it slowly.

    Yeah, you're right. All valid points. And, as Sliver mentioned, typing a
    comment directly into the picture should do the trick much less painfully.

    --
    Duergar

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:55:25 +0200, Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Freemont <yabba@dabba.doo> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:46:55 +0200, Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Any idea how I get them down in size?
    >>
    >> If you're using XP, you can just right-click jpegs and click Resize
    >> Picture. The large size will still be under 100kb.
    >
    > Are you sure this is WinXP built-in feature? Could it be that some
    > application integrated it into the right click menu?

    Heh, I've been using MandrakeLinux exclusively for the past several
    months, so my Windows chops are a tad rusty.
    In fact the Picture Resize I spoke of is part of XP PowerToys, a small
    free download from Microsoft that I recommend. I always install this on
    fresh installs of XP.

    http://tinyurl.com/2meyw

    Sry for any confusion.

    ps You got an Um you can spare on East, sc, nl?? :-D

    --
    freemont

    Freemont <yabba@dabba.doo> wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:55:25 +0200, Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> Are you sure this is WinXP built-in feature? Could it be that some
    >> application integrated it into the right click menu?
    >
    > Heh, I've been using MandrakeLinux exclusively for the past several
    > months, so my Windows chops are a tad rusty.
    > In fact the Picture Resize I spoke of is part of XP PowerToys, a small
    > free download from Microsoft that I recommend. I always install this on
    > fresh installs of XP.

    A-ha, so that was it! I only use Tweak UI from the Powertoys package.

    > http://tinyurl.com/2meyw
    >
    > Sry for any confusion.
    >
    > ps You got an Um you can spare on East, sc, nl?? :-D

    Nope, but I've got an Um I can't spare in SP. Will that do? >:)

    --
    Duergar

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:59:12 +0200, Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Freemont <yabba@dabba.doo> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:55:25 +0200, Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>> Are you sure this is WinXP built-in feature? Could it be that some
    >>> application integrated it into the right click menu?
    >>
    >> Heh, I've been using MandrakeLinux exclusively for the past several
    >> months, so my Windows chops are a tad rusty.
    >> In fact the Picture Resize I spoke of is part of XP PowerToys, a small
    >> free download from Microsoft that I recommend. I always install this on
    >> fresh installs of XP.
    >
    > A-ha, so that was it! I only use Tweak UI from the Powertoys package.
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2meyw
    >>
    >> Sry for any confusion.
    >>
    >> ps You got an Um you can spare on East, sc, nl?? :-D
    >
    > Nope, but I've got an Um I can't spare in SP. Will that do? >:)

    Sure, just fax it right over! ;-)

    I'm never going to find that stupid rune. :'-(

    --
    freemont

    Oliver Wenzel wrote:
    > well, I just registered as I've always wanted a place to put one or
    > the other screenshot.

    Apologies, due to a script running wild your registration that was
    still pending due to missing validation was deleted. )-:

    > But looking at the shots in my D2 directory, they all are more than
    > 400K in size. And even if I convert them to GIF format, they are
    > about 205K+..
    >
    > Any idea how I get them down in size?

    Have you tried one of the possibilities already for making the
    pictures smaller?

    "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > "Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in news:3btdkfF6jccgqU1
    > @individual.net:
    >
    >> Uploads
    >> - Only image files, GIF and JPG format
    >> - Size limit 200k per file
    >> - Uploaded files will be deleted after one week
    >>
    >> I would be pleased if you try it out and give me some feedback (well,
    >> if you find an exploit that is seriously harmful better not publicly
    >> though (-; ):
    >> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/register.php
    >
    > well, I just registered as I've always wanted a place to put one or the
    > other screenshot.
    >
    > But looking at the shots in my D2 directory, they all are more than 400K
    > in
    > size. And even if I convert them to GIF format, they are about 205K+..
    >
    > Any idea how I get them down in size?
    >
    > Thanks for the great idea,
    >
    > Oliver

    If they're in JPEG format use mspaint.exe -> Save As...
    That will compress them considerably.

    > As several providers like Geocities offer free webspace, but limit
    > the views per hour or day I wondered if it is a viable solution to
    > create my very own upload service for the newsgroup.
    [...]
    > http://test.internet-webmaster.de/register.php

    As I want to be able to make thumbnails not only for jpg but also for
    gif files my hosting provider moves all my domains to a new server
    where a certain necessary command is available. I might move the tool
    to a different domain with a shorter name at some point, but
    transferring files and database is not a problem.

    So far my little programming work has resulted in the following
    features:
    - confirmed opt-in registration
    - file upload of jpg and gif files up to 200k
    - user can access a list of files he has uploaded
    - file list contains upload date, size and thumbnail
    - files can be deleted individually (good in case I want
    to build in a quota at some point)

    Enjoy!

    --

    Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
    > As I want to be able to make thumbnails not only for jpg but also
    > for gif files my hosting provider moves all my domains to a new
    > server where a certain necessary command is available.

    .... which involves the site being offline for several hours tonight,
    should be up and running tomorrow morning (ie in eight hours or so).

Video Games