I give up...........

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 3, 2005 8:58:37 PM

This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system

is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.

I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good

Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to

buy a new PC it won't be DELL.

Thanks for you help

More about : give

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:02:28 PM

"Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
> This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>
> is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>
> I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>
> Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>
> buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>
> Thanks for you help

You're welcome. As a last resort you could've merely unplugged the SATA2
drive and just installed on the remaining hard disk by booting from the CD.

Sorry you didn't get a solution here that worked for you.

Stew
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:16:39 AM

Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially an old
throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason, and that
reason was not to make you tear out your hair.

Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer tech,
getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a challenge, no
matter what brand it is... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:58:37 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:

>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>
>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>
>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>
>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>
>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>
>Thanks for you help
August 4, 2005 2:16:40 AM

Ben Myers wrote:
> Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially an old
> throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason, and that
> reason was not to make you tear out your hair.
>
> Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer tech,
> getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a challenge, no
> matter what brand it is... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:58:37 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>
>>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>
>>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>
>>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>
>>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>
>>Thanks for you help

DellBot ALERT!!!
August 4, 2005 2:54:42 AM

Ben Myers wrote:
> Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially an old
> throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason, and that
> reason was not to make you tear out your hair.
>
> Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer tech,
> getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a challenge, no
> matter what brand it is... Ben Myers

That may be true but I've done this a number of time before with no
problems.
August 4, 2005 2:55:57 AM

S.Lewis wrote:

> "Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
>
>>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>
>>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>
>>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>
>>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>
>>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>
>>Thanks for you help
>

> You're welcome. As a last resort you could've merely unplugged the SATA2
> drive and just installed on the remaining hard disk by booting from the CD.
>
> Sorry you didn't get a solution here that worked for you.
>

> Stew

WHAT SATA2 drive?

This is an old system with only IDE disk(s)
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:25:03 AM

done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received in
your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment really
belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited information
that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise answer... if you
care to detail what you have done, what drives are in the system, what size
they are, what controller they are connected to, what type of ide cable was
used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if you are booting the new os
from the floppy or cd, what the results of running dell diagnostics were,
etc... then perhaps we can provide some meaningful pointers. if it wasn't
the ram, the my next guess would be that you are using a relatively new hard
drive with a relatively old ide cable.

ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.

"Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
> This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>
> is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>
> I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>
> Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>
> buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>
> Thanks for you help
August 4, 2005 4:25:04 AM

Christopher Muto wrote:

> done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received in
> your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment really
> belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited information
> that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise answer... if you
> care to detail what you have done, what drives are in the system, what size
> they are, what controller they are connected to, what type of ide cable was
> used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if you are booting the new os
> from the floppy or cd, what the results of running dell diagnostics were,
> etc... then perhaps we can provide some meaningful pointers. if it wasn't
> the ram, the my next guess would be that you are using a relatively new hard
> drive with a relatively old ide cable.
>
> ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
> discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>
> "Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
>
>>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>
>>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>
>>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>
>>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>
>>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>
>>Thanks for you help

WHEW!

The problem looked more like a software one.

i.e. when I try to used the WIN98 3 1/2 it ask if I want to used the CD
or not, I reply #1, get two messages and then she dies.

When I try to use MADBOOT with the full 98SE CD, it saids it can't find
the SETUP file, then when I used the 98 upgrade today it got as far as
asking for the product key and then told me I had no right to use same
asking for the full version.

As I stated in my first posting this is not my first time, re-loading an
OP system.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:40:06 AM

Actually, I answered the question and explained how to do it. He never
responded to whether that worked.

The underlying problem is he's trying to use old technology IDE drives in a
new technology SATA based system. It would work the way I suggested, but
I'd bet $10 he never actually tried it.

It will work.

Period.

Tom
> done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received
> in your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment
> really belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited
> information that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise
> answer... if you care to detail what you have done, what drives are in
> the system, what size they are, what controller they are connected to,
> what type of ide cable was used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if
> you are booting the new os from the floppy or cd, what the results of
> running dell diagnostics were, etc... then perhaps we can provide some
> meaningful pointers. if it wasn't the ram, the my next guess would be
> that you are using a relatively new hard drive with a relatively old ide
> cable.
>
> ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
> discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>
> "Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>
>> is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>
>> I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>
>> Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>
>> buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>
>> Thanks for you help

August 4, 2005 5:40:07 AM

Tom Scales wrote:

> Actually, I answered the question and explained how to do it. He never
> responded to whether that worked.
>
> The underlying problem is he's trying to use old technology IDE drives in a
> new technology SATA based system. It would work the way I suggested, but
> I'd bet $10 he never actually tried it.
>
> It will work.
>
> Period.
>
> Tom
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received
>>in your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment
>>really belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited
>>information that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise
>>answer... if you care to detail what you have done, what drives are in
>>the system, what size they are, what controller they are connected to,
>>what type of ide cable was used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if
>>you are booting the new os from the floppy or cd, what the results of
>>running dell diagnostics were, etc... then perhaps we can provide some
>>meaningful pointers. if it wasn't the ram, the my next guess would be
>>that you are using a relatively new hard drive with a relatively old ide
>>cable.
>>
>>ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
>>discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>
>>"Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>>
>>>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>>
>>>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>>
>>>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>>
>>>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>>
>>>Thanks for you help

HELLO friend this is an old system, with no SATA drive cables.

Unless I'm missing something.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:41:02 AM

Excuse me? Ben is absolutely right, particularly since in the 'real
thread', I answered the question and my solution would work if he tried it.

Too lazy perhaps? Now he's just whining and started a new thread in hopes
we would all forget the problem was SOLVED with the right answer.

Tom
"administrator" <quemandd@msn.com> wrote in message
> Ben Myers wrote:
>> Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially
>> an old
>> throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason,
>> and that
>> reason was not to make you tear out your hair.
>>
>> Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer
>> tech,
>> getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a
>> challenge, no
>> matter what brand it is... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:58:37 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>>
>>>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>>
>>>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>>
>>>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>>
>>>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>>
>>>Thanks for you help
>>

> DellBot ALERT!!!
August 4, 2005 5:41:03 AM

Tom Scales wrote:

> Excuse me? Ben is absolutely right, particularly since in the 'real
> thread', I answered the question and my solution would work if he tried it.
>
> Too lazy perhaps? Now he's just whining and started a new thread in hopes
> we would all forget the problem was SOLVED with the right answer.
>
> Tom
> "administrator" <quemandd@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>>>Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially
>>>an old
>>>throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason,
>>>and that
>>>reason was not to make you tear out your hair.
>>>
>>>Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer
>>>tech,
>>>getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a
>>>challenge, no
>>>matter what brand it is... Ben Myers

>>DellBot ALERT!!!

Well I guess I loss track of your other answer, I didn't start a new
thread hoping you would forget my other posting.
No need to put a person down. Lazy? far from it!
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:00:12 AM

Stuff it! ... Ben

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:08:36 -0400, administrator <quemandd@msn.com> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially an old
>> throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason, and that
>> reason was not to make you tear out your hair.
>>
>> Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer tech,
>> getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a challenge, no
>> matter what brand it is... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:58:37 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>>
>>>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>>
>>>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>>
>>>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>>
>>>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>>
>>>Thanks for you help
>>

>DellBot ALERT!!!
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:53:48 AM

Hmm, not sure about that. Vince's original posting referred to an XPS 266 or
something similar. A little old to have built-in SATA. Maybe he tried an
add-in SATA card? I dunno. I am just as muddled about what he was trying to
do, because his postings were hard to comprehend... Ben Myers

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:40:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Actually, I answered the question and explained how to do it. He never
>responded to whether that worked.
>
>The underlying problem is he's trying to use old technology IDE drives in a
>new technology SATA based system. It would work the way I suggested, but
>I'd bet $10 he never actually tried it.
>
>It will work.
>
>Period.
>
>Tom
>"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received
>> in your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment
>> really belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited
>> information that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise
>> answer... if you care to detail what you have done, what drives are in
>> the system, what size they are, what controller they are connected to,
>> what type of ide cable was used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if
>> you are booting the new os from the floppy or cd, what the results of
>> running dell diagnostics were, etc... then perhaps we can provide some
>> meaningful pointers. if it wasn't the ram, the my next guess would be
>> that you are using a relatively new hard drive with a relatively old ide
>> cable.
>>
>> ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
>> discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>
>> "Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>>
>>> is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>>
>>> I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>>
>>> Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>>
>>> buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>>
>>> Thanks for you help

August 4, 2005 6:53:49 AM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Hmm, not sure about that. Vince's original posting referred to an XPS 266 or
> something similar. A little old to have built-in SATA. Maybe he tried an
> add-in SATA card? I dunno. I am just as muddled about what he was trying to
> do, because his postings were hard to comprehend... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:40:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>

>>Actually, I answered the question and explained how to do it. He never
>>responded to whether that worked.
>>
>>The underlying problem is he's trying to use old technology IDE drives in a
>>new technology SATA based system. It would work the way I suggested, but
>>I'd bet $10 he never actually tried it.
>>
>>It will work.
>>
>>Period.
>>
>>Tom
>>"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received
>>>in your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment
>>>really belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited
>>>information that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise
>>>answer... if you care to detail what you have done, what drives are in
>>>the system, what size they are, what controller they are connected to,
>>>what type of ide cable was used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if
>>>you are booting the new os from the floppy or cd, what the results of
>>>running dell diagnostics were, etc... then perhaps we can provide some
>>>meaningful pointers. if it wasn't the ram, the my next guess would be
>>>that you are using a relatively new hard drive with a relatively old ide
>>>cable.
>>>
>>>ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
>>>discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>>
>>>"Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message

No I didn't try an addd-in SATA card.

What I'm trying to do is reload the WIN98SE OP system to
the hard drive, OK?
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:48:08 AM

Well, maybe it's best to reconcile yourself to the fact that you ended up with a
lemon from the dumpster THIS time... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:54:42 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially an old
>> throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason, and that
>> reason was not to make you tear out your hair.
>>
>> Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer tech,
>> getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a challenge, no
>> matter what brand it is... Ben Myers
>>

>That may be true but I've done this a number of time before with no
>problems.
August 4, 2005 7:48:09 AM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Well, maybe it's best to reconcile yourself to the fact that you ended up with a
> lemon from the dumpster THIS time... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:54:42 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>>>Don't base your opinion on the troubles you encountered with essentially an old
>>>throwaway computer. It came into your possession for some good reason, and that
>>>reason was not to make you tear out your hair.
>>>
>>>Unless you are downright lucky or unless you are an experienced computer tech,
>>>getting an older surplus computer up and running smoothly can be a challenge, no
>>>matter what brand it is... Ben Myers
>>>

>>That may be true but I've done this a number of time before with no
>>problems.

Yeah I guess so, tell you what anyone on this NG who also lives in
Brooklyn NY like to give it a try?
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:54:05 AM

Good. That's what I thought after reading your several posts. But I still do
not understand the exact configuration(s) that you are dealing with. How much
main memory? Which graphics card? Capacities of hard drives, since you've
tried several? Brands of hard drives tried? Make and model of CD-ROM drive?
What sort of IDE cables does the system have? There are two types, one which
requires CS (cable select) jumpering on the IDE devices, the other which
requires master and slave jumper settings. Did you go to the Dell web site and
download the user's manual for the beast, and print out motherboard diagrams and
jumper settings? Have you checked the motherboard jumper or switch settings for
correctness vs. the assumed 266MHz processor speed?

I can ask probably another dozen very specific questions, but I would far rather
respond to some very exact and factual statements about the computer, how it is
set up, what you have tried, and what the symptoms of failure are... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:11:05 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Hmm, not sure about that. Vince's original posting referred to an XPS 266 or
>> something similar. A little old to have built-in SATA. Maybe he tried an
>> add-in SATA card? I dunno. I am just as muddled about what he was trying to
>> do, because his postings were hard to comprehend... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:40:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Actually, I answered the question and explained how to do it. He never
>>>responded to whether that worked.
>>>
>>>The underlying problem is he's trying to use old technology IDE drives in a
>>>new technology SATA based system. It would work the way I suggested, but
>>>I'd bet $10 he never actually tried it.
>>>
>>>It will work.
>>>
>>>Period.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>No I didn't try an addd-in SATA card.
>
>What I'm trying to do is reload the WIN98SE OP system to
>the hard drive, OK?
August 4, 2005 7:54:06 AM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Good. That's what I thought after reading your several posts. But I still do
> not understand the exact configuration(s) that you are dealing with. How much
> main memory? Which graphics card? Capacities of hard drives, since you've
> tried several? Brands of hard drives tried? Make and model of CD-ROM drive?
> What sort of IDE cables does the system have? There are two types, one which
> requires CS (cable select) jumpering on the IDE devices, the other which
> requires master and slave jumper settings. Did you go to the Dell web site and
> download the user's manual for the beast, and print out motherboard diagrams and
> jumper settings? Have you checked the motherboard jumper or switch settings for
> correctness vs. the assumed 266MHz processor speed?
>
> I can ask probably another dozen very specific questions, but I would far rather
> respond to some very exact and factual statements about the computer, how it is
> set up, what you have tried, and what the symptoms of failure are... Ben Myers

It had 128MB to start, someone said maybe the RAM is NG so I switched to
two 16MB SIMMs (Besides WIN98 only needs 16MB), Graphics card no idea
but it has two terminals. One CD was Toshiba, the rest are generics.
HDs 12GB, 20GB, 1GB. IDE the later. I'll have to look at the the DELL
site again.

Looks like a lot seeing as other systems didn't have these problems.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:57:38 AM

Fine. Maybe we're getting somewhere. IIRC, the XPS 266 system is not able to
boot from CD-ROM. So go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file 98BOT10A.EXE.
Use it to create a Windows 98 boot floppy. Insert floppy in drive. Insert Win
98 CD in CD-ROM drive. Boot the system from floppy, switch to the R: drive, and
enter the SETUP command at the DOS prompt. That will start up the Windows 98
install. If it does not, the Windows 98 CD may be defective.

And PLEASE! Tell us the exact hardware configuration you are dealing with!!!

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:04:10 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:

>Christopher Muto wrote:
>
>> done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received in
>> your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment really
>> belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited information
>> that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise answer... if you
>> care to detail what you have done, what drives are in the system, what size
>> they are, what controller they are connected to, what type of ide cable was
>> used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if you are booting the new os
>> from the floppy or cd, what the results of running dell diagnostics were,
>> etc... then perhaps we can provide some meaningful pointers. if it wasn't
>> the ram, the my next guess would be that you are using a relatively new hard
>> drive with a relatively old ide cable.
>>
>> ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
>> discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>
>> "Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>This DELL XPS where I've been trying to re-load the OP system
>>>
>>>is a nightmare, no matter what I try it just won't go.
>>>
>>>I've done everything you good folks advised and its just no good
>>>
>>>Lastly after what I read on this NG be sure when it comes time to
>>>
>>>buy a new PC it won't be DELL.
>>>
>>>Thanks for you help
>>

>WHEW!
>
>The problem looked more like a software one.
>
>i.e. when I try to used the WIN98 3 1/2 it ask if I want to used the CD
>or not, I reply #1, get two messages and then she dies.
>
>When I try to use MADBOOT with the full 98SE CD, it saids it can't find
>the SETUP file, then when I used the 98 upgrade today it got as far as
>asking for the product key and then told me I had no right to use same
>asking for the full version.
>
>As I stated in my first posting this is not my first time, re-loading an
>OP system.
August 4, 2005 7:57:39 AM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Fine. Maybe we're getting somewhere. IIRC, the XPS 266 system is not able to
> boot from CD-ROM. So go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file 98BOT10A.EXE.
> Use it to create a Windows 98 boot floppy. Insert floppy in drive. Insert Win
> 98 CD in CD-ROM drive. Boot the system from floppy, switch to the R: drive, and
> enter the SETUP command at the DOS prompt. That will start up the Windows 98
> install. If it does not, the Windows 98 CD may be defective.
>
> And PLEASE! Tell us the exact hardware configuration you are dealing with!!!
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:04:10 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Christopher Muto wrote:
>>

>>>done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received in
>>>your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment really
>>>belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited information
>>>that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise answer... if you
>>>care to detail what you have done, what drives are in the system, what size
>>>they are, what controller they are connected to, what type of ide cable was
>>>used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if you are booting the new os
>>>from the floppy or cd, what the results of running dell diagnostics were,
>>>etc... then perhaps we can provide some meaningful pointers. if it wasn't
>>>the ram, the my next guess would be that you are using a relatively new hard
>>>drive with a relatively old ide cable.
>>>
>>>ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
>>>discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>>
>>>"Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message

>>WHEW!
>>
>>The problem looked more like a software one.
>>
>>i.e. when I try to used the WIN98 3 1/2 it ask if I want to used the CD
>>or not, I reply #1, get two messages and then she dies.
>>
>>When I try to use MADBOOT with the full 98SE CD, it saids it can't find
>>the SETUP file, then when I used the 98 upgrade today it got as far as
>>asking for the product key and then told me I had no right to use same
>>asking for the full version.
>>
>>As I stated in my first posting this is not my first time, re-loading an
>>OP system.

Thanks
See my other posting
August 4, 2005 7:57:39 AM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Fine. Maybe we're getting somewhere. IIRC, the XPS 266 system is not able to
> boot from CD-ROM. So go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file 98BOT10A.EXE.
> Use it to create a Windows 98 boot floppy. Insert floppy in drive. Insert Win
> 98 CD in CD-ROM drive. Boot the system from floppy, switch to the R: drive, and
> enter the SETUP command at the DOS prompt. That will start up the Windows 98
> install. If it does not, the Windows 98 CD may be defective.
>
> And PLEASE! Tell us the exact hardware configuration you are dealing with!!!
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:04:10 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Christopher Muto wrote:
>>

>>>done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received in
>>>your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment really
>>>belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited information
>>>that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise answer... if you
>>>care to detail what you have done, what drives are in the system, what size
>>>they are, what controller they are connected to, what type of ide cable was
>>>used for the hard disk, what bios revisions, if you are booting the new os
>>>from the floppy or cd, what the results of running dell diagnostics were,
>>>etc... then perhaps we can provide some meaningful pointers. if it wasn't
>>>the ram, the my next guess would be that you are using a relatively new hard
>>>drive with a relatively old ide cable.
>>>
>>>ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
>>>discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>>
>>>"Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message

>>WHEW!
>>
>>The problem looked more like a software one.
>>
>>i.e. when I try to used the WIN98 3 1/2 it ask if I want to used the CD
>>or not, I reply #1, get two messages and then she dies.
>>
>>When I try to use MADBOOT with the full 98SE CD, it saids it can't find
>>the SETUP file, then when I used the 98 upgrade today it got as far as
>>asking for the product key and then told me I had no right to use same
>>asking for the full version.
>>
>>As I stated in my first posting this is not my first time, re-loading an
>>OP system.

Just downloaded the above to tell the truth it acts the same as MADBOOT
August 4, 2005 7:57:39 AM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Fine. Maybe we're getting somewhere. IIRC, the XPS 266 system is not able to
> boot from CD-ROM. So go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file 98BOT10A.EXE.
> Use it to create a Windows 98 boot floppy. Insert floppy in drive. Insert Win
> 98 CD in CD-ROM drive. Boot the system from floppy, switch to the R: drive, and
> enter the SETUP command at the DOS prompt. That will start up the Windows 98
> install. If it does not, the Windows 98 CD may be defective.
>
> And PLEASE! Tell us the exact hardware configuration you are dealing with!!!
>
> ... Ben Myers

Ben I just downloaded the above all it does is create the same WIN98SE
floppy as Control Panel's add/delete programs does which hangs the
system when I try to use it.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:35:39 AM

if it is worth it to you to take the time to both deliver it, and later to
return to pick it up from an office in lower manhattan then email me
privately.

> Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Well, maybe it's best to reconcile yourself to the fact that you ended up
>> with a
>> lemon from the dumpster THIS time... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:54:42 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net>
>> wrote:

>>>That may be true but I've done this a number of time before with no
>>>problems.
>>

> Yeah I guess so, tell you what anyone on this NG who also lives in
> Brooklyn NY like to give it a try?
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 11:04:11 AM

> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> Actually, I answered the question and explained how to do it. He never
>> responded to whether that worked.
>>
>> The underlying problem is he's trying to use old technology IDE drives in
>> a new technology SATA based system. It would work the way I suggested,
>> but I'd bet $10 he never actually tried it.
>>
>> It will work.
>>
>> Period.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received
>>>in your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment
>>>really belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited
>>>information that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise
>>>answer... if you care to detail what you have done, what drives are in
>>>the system, what size they are, what controller they are connected to,
>>>what type of ide cable was used for the hard disk, what bios revisions,
>>>if you are booting the new os from the floppy or cd, what the results of
>>>running dell diagnostics were, etc... then perhaps we can provide some
>>>meaningful pointers. if it wasn't the ram, the my next guess would be
>>>that you are using a relatively new hard drive with a relatively old ide
>>>cable.
>>>
>>>ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you more
>>>discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>>
>>>"Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message

> HELLO friend this is an old system, with no SATA drive cables.
>
> Unless I'm missing something.

Sorry, Vince. Looks like a few of us got this crossed up with another thread
(about a NEW XPS Gen5 where the OS couldn't be loaded) versus your XPS H.

I'm beginning to thing you might have a faulty mainboard with all of the
components you've swapped.....

Stew
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:50:44 PM

Perhaps I have my posts confused. I realized that it possible after I
posted.

Late night.
> Hmm, not sure about that. Vince's original posting referred to an XPS 266
> or
> something similar. A little old to have built-in SATA. Maybe he tried an
> add-in SATA card? I dunno. I am just as muddled about what he was trying
> do, because his postings were hard to comprehend... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:40:06 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Actually, I answered the question and explained how to do it. He never
>>responded to whether that worked.
>>
>>The underlying problem is he's trying to use old technology IDE drives in
>>new technology SATA based system. It would work the way I suggested, but
>>I'd bet $10 he never actually tried it.
>>
>>It will work.
>>
>>Period.
>>
>>Tom
>>"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> done everything but tell us the details... the suggestions you received
>>> in your previous thread (called "ready to go nuts," where this comment
>>> really belongs since we are not mind readers) were based on the limited
>>> information that you provided. ask a precise question get a precise
>>> answer... if you care to detail what you have done, what drives are in
>>> the system, what size they are, what controller they are connected to,
>>> what type of ide cable was used for the hard disk, what bios revisions,
>>> if
>>> you are booting the new os from the floppy or cd, what the results of
>>> running dell diagnostics were, etc... then perhaps we can provide some
>>> meaningful pointers. if it wasn't the ram, the my next guess would be
>>> that you are using a relatively new hard drive with a relatively old ide
>>> cable.
>>>
>>> ps. i find it very amusing that this experience is going to make you
>>> more
>>> discerning regarding the next computer that you pick out of the trash.
>>>
>>> "Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:17:56 PM

A system hang is a symptom of some sort of hardware problem. I cannot be more
explicit without a more exacting description of when, where and how the system
hangs. You've checked and double-checked all the BIOS settings for consistency
and correctness? ... Ben

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:51:20 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Fine. Maybe we're getting somewhere. IIRC, the XPS 266 system is not able to
>> boot from CD-ROM. So go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file 98BOT10A.EXE.
>> Use it to create a Windows 98 boot floppy. Insert floppy in drive. Insert Win
>> 98 CD in CD-ROM drive. Boot the system from floppy, switch to the R: drive, and
>> enter the SETUP command at the DOS prompt. That will start up the Windows 98
>> install. If it does not, the Windows 98 CD may be defective.
>>
>> And PLEASE! Tell us the exact hardware configuration you are dealing with!!!
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>

>Ben I just downloaded the above all it does is create the same WIN98SE
>floppy as Control Panel's add/delete programs does which hangs the
>system when I try to use it.
August 4, 2005 5:17:57 PM

Ben Myers wrote:
> A system hang is a symptom of some sort of hardware problem. I cannot be more
> explicit without a more exacting description of when, where and how the system
> hangs. You've checked and double-checked all the BIOS settings for consistency
> and correctness? ... Ben
>
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:51:20 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Ben Myers wrote:
>>

>>>Fine. Maybe we're getting somewhere. IIRC, the XPS 266 system is not able to
>>>boot from CD-ROM. So go to www.bootdisk.com and download the file 98BOT10A.EXE.
>>>Use it to create a Windows 98 boot floppy. Insert floppy in drive. Insert Win
>>>98 CD in CD-ROM drive. Boot the system from floppy, switch to the R: drive, and
>>>enter the SETUP command at the DOS prompt. That will start up the Windows 98
>>>install. If it does not, the Windows 98 CD may be defective.
>>>
>>>And PLEASE! Tell us the exact hardware configuration you are dealing with!!!
>>>
>>>... Ben Myers
>>>

>>Ben I just downloaded the above all it does is create the same WIN98SE
>>floppy as Control Panel's add/delete programs does which hangs the
>>system when I try to use it.

Yes unless I still missed something
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:26:44 PM

I would never in all my darkest dreams attempt to install ANY version of Windows
with as little as 32MB of memory. I don't care what the Microsoft hype says
about the minimum memory requirements of Windows. Anyway, I would run hardware
diagnostics on both memory (MEMTEST-86) and hard drive (manufacturer's
diagnostics, or use Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test, which works with all brands),
before attempting to install Windows again. Rule of thumb is that you need to
have some reasonable assurance that the hardware is working right before
installing software. Otherwise if something goes wrong, you won't know why.

There is some possibility that the BIOS in the Dell XPS 266 motherboard is
limited to seeing a hard drive no more than 8.4GB in capacity. This would be
consistent with most Pentium, Pentium-MMX, and early Pentium II systems, no
matter what brand they are.

May I suggest trying again with the 1GB hard drive and 128MB of memory? The
10GB and 20GB drives simply may not work without additional hardware (an add-in
IDE controller card) or special and awful software like Western Digital's
EZ-Drive. Obviously, a 1GB drive is almost useless, but at you know for sure it
will work in the XPS 266. Unless it is defective, of course.

Toshiba CD-ROM drives are generic, too.

At this point, it would also be a good idea to identify the graphics card. Does
it have a Dell part number? Any other obvious markings, either on the graphics
chip, etched on the card, or stickers?

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:19:43 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Good. That's what I thought after reading your several posts. But I still do
>> not understand the exact configuration(s) that you are dealing with. How much
>> main memory? Which graphics card? Capacities of hard drives, since you've
>> tried several? Brands of hard drives tried? Make and model of CD-ROM drive?
>> What sort of IDE cables does the system have? There are two types, one which
>> requires CS (cable select) jumpering on the IDE devices, the other which
>> requires master and slave jumper settings. Did you go to the Dell web site and
>> download the user's manual for the beast, and print out motherboard diagrams and
>> jumper settings? Have you checked the motherboard jumper or switch settings for
>> correctness vs. the assumed 266MHz processor speed?
>>
>> I can ask probably another dozen very specific questions, but I would far rather
>> respond to some very exact and factual statements about the computer, how it is
>> set up, what you have tried, and what the symptoms of failure are... Ben Myers
>>

>It had 128MB to start, someone said maybe the RAM is NG so I switched to
>two 16MB SIMMs (Besides WIN98 only needs 16MB), Graphics card no idea
>but it has two terminals. One CD was Toshiba, the rest are generics.
>HDs 12GB, 20GB, 1GB. IDE the later. I'll have to look at the the DELL
>site again.
>
>Looks like a lot seeing as other systems didn't have these problems.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 11:30:29 PM

I appologize if I mention something that you may have already tried, but i'm
coming into this thread quite late in the game....

It's easy to give erronious advice based on the fact that a person says he
has a Dell XPS. Need to be a bit clearer sometimes to make sure we don't get
confused between the old XPS systems and the current XPS gen x systems.

That said, If I may, here is the way I normally install Win98 on a system.

Start with some sort of Win98 boot floppy, and add the format.exe file to
it.

Boot to the floppy choosing CD-Rom support, fdisk the drive if needed, then
format /s the HD.

Put the Win98 CD in the CD-Rom drive.

Go to the C: drive and create a directory (i usually name it 'win98cd') to
copy the setup files to.

Change to the CD-Rom drive, typically E:

Change to the 'win98' directory and take a directory listing to make sure
you're in the right place.

Copy the contents of the E:\win98 directory to the C:\win98cd directory. no
need to worry about sub-directories, they're not needed.

If you were able to copy the contents to the C: drive, you have just proved
that the CD is readable.

Re-boot the system and boot fronm the HD.

change to the c:\win98cd directory and run setup.exe from there.

Installation should now procede normally. If it hangs somewhere during the
install, it would again point to a hardware problem.

Over many years, I've discovered that by copying the files to the HD and
running the setup from there accomplishes several things.

Once you get the system ready, setup runs much faster than from the CD.

Because you have copied the files to the HD , any time in the future you add
or modify the system or it's components and it asks for the CD, just
re-direct it to the C:\win98cd directory. No more searching for the CD.

Because you ran the original setup from the C:\win98cd directory, Win98
should by default look in that directory the next time it needs files from
the CD.

Again I appologize if I'm suggesting something you've already tried.

BTW, should I assume that the Dell diagnostic lights on the back show all as
green?

Good luck.

> Ben Myers wrote:
>> A system hang is a symptom of some sort of hardware problem. I cannot be
>> more
>> explicit without a more exacting description of when, where and how the
>> system
>> hangs. You've checked and double-checked all the BIOS settings for
>> consistency
>> and correctness? ... Ben
>>
>> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:51:20 -0400, Vince <holvbphoto@optonline.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Ben I just downloaded the above all it does is create the same WIN98SE
>>>floppy as Control Panel's add/delete programs does which hangs the system
>>>when I try to use it.
>>

> Yes unless I still missed something
August 5, 2005 2:56:23 AM

Timothy Drouillard wrote:
> I appologize if I mention something that you may have already tried, but i'm
> coming into this thread quite late in the game....
>
> It's easy to give erronious advice based on the fact that a person says he
> has a Dell XPS. Need to be a bit clearer sometimes to make sure we don't get
> confused between the old XPS systems and the current XPS gen x systems.
>
> That said, If I may, here is the way I normally install Win98 on a system.
>
> Start with some sort of Win98 boot floppy, and add the format.exe file to
> it.
>
> Boot to the floppy choosing CD-Rom support, fdisk the drive if needed, then
> format /s the HD.
>
> Put the Win98 CD in the CD-Rom drive.
>
> Go to the C: drive and create a directory (i usually name it 'win98cd') to
> copy the setup files to.
>
> Change to the CD-Rom drive, typically E:
>
> Change to the 'win98' directory and take a directory listing to make sure
> you're in the right place.
>
> Copy the contents of the E:\win98 directory to the C:\win98cd directory. no
> need to worry about sub-directories, they're not needed.
>
> If you were able to copy the contents to the C: drive, you have just proved
> that the CD is readable.
>
> Re-boot the system and boot fronm the HD.
>
> change to the c:\win98cd directory and run setup.exe from there.
>
> Installation should now procede normally. If it hangs somewhere during the
> install, it would again point to a hardware problem.
>
> Over many years, I've discovered that by copying the files to the HD and
> running the setup from there accomplishes several things.
>
> Once you get the system ready, setup runs much faster than from the CD.
>
> Because you have copied the files to the HD , any time in the future you add
> or modify the system or it's components and it asks for the CD, just
> re-direct it to the C:\win98cd directory. No more searching for the CD.
>
> Because you ran the original setup from the C:\win98cd directory, Win98
> should by default look in that directory the next time it needs files from
> the CD.
>

> Again I appologize if I'm suggesting something you've already tried.
>
> BTW, should I assume that the Dell diagnostic lights on the back show all as
> green?
>
> Good luck.
>
> "Vince" <holvbphoto@optonline.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>>>A system hang is a symptom of some sort of hardware problem. I cannot be
>>>more
>>>explicit without a more exacting description of when, where and how the
>>>system
>>>hangs. You've checked and double-checked all the BIOS settings for
>>>consistency
>>>and correctness? ... Ben

>>Yes unless I still missed something

Thanks but there no point as the kids took the system back
and besides when I did the WIN98SE floppy it hung anyhow.
This is my last posting as I'm leaving the NG now
Thanks again friends
August 7, 2005 2:53:03 AM

Make sure to get one with an Enter key that's not sticking

!