Upgade Dimension 2400 from 2.4g Celeron?

Well,

I did a couple searches and found that the Dimension 2400 that ships
with the lowly 2.4ghz Celeron is suppose to support up to 3Ghz P4 at 533
FSB and PC2700 RAM.

I ordered a P4/2.8ghz/533 and 512MB of PC2700 from my local supplier.

I removed the Dell Celron and 512MB and installed the new - when I
turned on the power I get all LED's illuminated on the front and nothing
for video/sounds - the Fan runs, the unit appears to have power, but
nothing.

Suspecting that the new P4 CPU was bad, even though it was a New Retail
CPU, I installed it in another computer (not a Dell Dimension, an ASUS
motherboard) and it detected the CPU and RAM correctly.

So, I suspected that the DELL PSU was not powerful enough to run the new
P4 CPU - replaced the Dell PSU with an ANTEC 480W PSU and tried the P4
again in the Dell - same thing, NADA, nothing, don't work. In order to
validate the new Antec PSU I reinstalled the old Celeron and RAM and it
worked fine. So, I tried the P4 and the old RAM, nada.....

I called Dell support in Panama and was told that the machine does
indeed support P4/3ghz/533 and PC2700 RAM......

Anyone upgrade one of these with a faster CPU and get it working?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Why didn't you just buy a new system? You've spent the money to do so.
Just curious.

> Well,
>
> I did a couple searches and found that the Dimension 2400 that ships
> with the lowly 2.4ghz Celeron is suppose to support up to 3Ghz P4 at 533
> FSB and PC2700 RAM.
>
> I ordered a P4/2.8ghz/533 and 512MB of PC2700 from my local supplier.
>
> I removed the Dell Celron and 512MB and installed the new - when I
> turned on the power I get all LED's illuminated on the front and nothing
> for video/sounds - the Fan runs, the unit appears to have power, but
> nothing.
>
> Suspecting that the new P4 CPU was bad, even though it was a New Retail
> CPU, I installed it in another computer (not a Dell Dimension, an ASUS
> motherboard) and it detected the CPU and RAM correctly.
>
> So, I suspected that the DELL PSU was not powerful enough to run the new
> P4 CPU - replaced the Dell PSU with an ANTEC 480W PSU and tried the P4
> again in the Dell - same thing, NADA, nothing, don't work. In order to
> validate the new Antec PSU I reinstalled the old Celeron and RAM and it
> worked fine. So, I tried the P4 and the old RAM, nada.....
>
> I called Dell support in Panama and was told that the machine does
> indeed support P4/3ghz/533 and PC2700 RAM......
>
> Anyone upgrade one of these with a faster CPU and get it working?
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

> Well,
>
> I did a couple searches and found that the Dimension 2400 that ships
> with the lowly 2.4ghz Celeron is suppose to support up to 3Ghz P4 at 533
> FSB and PC2700 RAM.
>
> I ordered a P4/2.8ghz/533 and 512MB of PC2700 from my local supplier.
>
> I removed the Dell Celron and 512MB and installed the new - when I
> turned on the power I get all LED's illuminated on the front and nothing
> for video/sounds - the Fan runs, the unit appears to have power, but
> nothing.
>
> Suspecting that the new P4 CPU was bad, even though it was a New Retail
> CPU, I installed it in another computer (not a Dell Dimension, an ASUS
> motherboard) and it detected the CPU and RAM correctly.
>
> So, I suspected that the DELL PSU was not powerful enough to run the new
> P4 CPU - replaced the Dell PSU with an ANTEC 480W PSU and tried the P4
> again in the Dell - same thing, NADA, nothing, don't work. In order to
> validate the new Antec PSU I reinstalled the old Celeron and RAM and it
> worked fine. So, I tried the P4 and the old RAM, nada.....
>
> I called Dell support in Panama and was told that the machine does
> indeed support P4/3ghz/533 and PC2700 RAM......
>
> Anyone upgrade one of these with a faster CPU and get it working?
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Not sure what you went down the power supply route. My 2400 came with a
P4-2.8/533, so the power supply is more than adequate.

Did you upgrade to the latest BIOS? Often that is the problem. Also,
you're sure it is a 533? I'm doing this from memory, but thought the 3.0
was 800 and the 3.06 was 533.

Tom

Check the CPU you bought. The 2400 will support 400 and 533 CPUs, but
only Northwood (512K) and earlier.

If you bought a Prescott CPU (1M cache), that's why it doesn't work.

The 2.8/533/512K will work - the fastest one that will is the
3.06/533/512K. None of the P4s with over-512K caches will work.

In article <rPbIe.48492$t43.40343@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > Well,
> >
> > I did a couple searches and found that the Dimension 2400 that ships
> > with the lowly 2.4ghz Celeron is suppose to support up to 3Ghz P4 at 533
> > FSB and PC2700 RAM.
> >
> > I ordered a P4/2.8ghz/533 and 512MB of PC2700 from my local supplier.
> >
> > I removed the Dell Celron and 512MB and installed the new - when I
> > turned on the power I get all LED's illuminated on the front and nothing
> > for video/sounds - the Fan runs, the unit appears to have power, but
> > nothing.
> >
> > Suspecting that the new P4 CPU was bad, even though it was a New Retail
> > CPU, I installed it in another computer (not a Dell Dimension, an ASUS
> > motherboard) and it detected the CPU and RAM correctly.
> >
> > So, I suspected that the DELL PSU was not powerful enough to run the new
> > P4 CPU - replaced the Dell PSU with an ANTEC 480W PSU and tried the P4
> > again in the Dell - same thing, NADA, nothing, don't work. In order to
> > validate the new Antec PSU I reinstalled the old Celeron and RAM and it
> > worked fine. So, I tried the P4 and the old RAM, nada.....
> >
> > I called Dell support in Panama and was told that the machine does
> > indeed support P4/3ghz/533 and PC2700 RAM......
> >
> > Anyone upgrade one of these with a faster CPU and get it working?
> >

> Not sure what you went down the power supply route. My 2400 came with a
> P4-2.8/533, so the power supply is more than adequate.
>
> Did you upgrade to the latest BIOS? Often that is the problem. Also,
> you're sure it is a 533? I'm doing this from memory, but thought the 3.0
> was 800 and the 3.06 was 533.

I bought a 2.8Ghz Retail 533fsb processor - it shows 533 on the box.

I did the PSU because there was no clear markings on the one in the box
to indicate what wattage it is - and I try all things that would make
sense.

The BIOS is A05 and that shows as the latest on the Dimension 2400
support page.

--

In article <tWbIe.1388$9U3.730@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net>, ejn63
@netscape.net says...
> Check the CPU you bought. The 2400 will support 400 and 533 CPUs, but
> only Northwood (512K) and earlier.
>
> If you bought a Prescott CPU (1M cache), that's why it doesn't work.
>
> The 2.8/533/512K will work - the fastest one that will is the
> 3.06/533/512K. None of the P4s with over-512K caches will work.

That's it then, the one I bought is a 1M cache. I'll see if they have
any 512K caches where I ordered the last one.

Thanks!

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

In article <tWbIe.1388$9U3.730@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net>, ejn63
@netscape.net says...
> Check the CPU you bought. The 2400 will support 400 and 533 CPUs, but
> only Northwood (512K) and earlier.
>
> If you bought a Prescott CPU (1M cache), that's why it doesn't work.
>
> The 2.8/533/512K will work - the fastest one that will is the
> 3.06/533/512K. None of the P4s with over-512K caches will work.

Thanks for the update - I hate to say it, but this really blows. On the
good side, I didn't purchase more than one as a test, so I guess I can
use it in another machine.

I sure hope the P4/2.8/512/533 is a significant increase in power over
the stock 2.4g Celeron CPU that it shipped with - if not, we're going to
have to get replacement systems.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

computergeeks.com has a used p4/2.8ghz/512k/533fsb for $138. they are an
honest retailor.

> In article <tWbIe.1388$9U3.730@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net>, ejn63
> @netscape.net says...
>> Check the CPU you bought. The 2400 will support 400 and 533 CPUs, but
>> only Northwood (512K) and earlier.
>>
>> If you bought a Prescott CPU (1M cache), that's why it doesn't work.
>>
>> The 2.8/533/512K will work - the fastest one that will is the
>> 3.06/533/512K. None of the P4s with over-512K caches will work.
>
> Thanks for the update - I hate to say it, but this really blows. On the
> good side, I didn't purchase more than one as a test, so I guess I can
> use it in another machine.
>
> I sure hope the P4/2.8/512/533 is a significant increase in power over
> the stock 2.4g Celeron CPU that it shipped with - if not, we're going to
> have to get replacement systems.
>

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

and newegg.com has it for $152 with $1 shipping... item number
N82E16819116215R

In article <xrdIe.5996$%a2.3199@trndny03>, muto@worldnet.att.net says...
> computergeeks.com has a used p4/2.8ghz/512k/533fsb for $138. they are an
> honest retailor.

I don't buy used CPU's or OEM ones, I like the retail ones since they
include a longer warranty (and I've actually used it several times) and
that it comes with a great heat-sink and fan.

My local vendor should be able to get them for me - thanks for looking
though.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

In article <UReIe.112$qQ5.23658@news.uswest.net>, webman6@hotmail.com
says...
> Why didn't you just buy a new system? You've spent the money to do so.
> Just curious.

A new P4 system, would cost about $800 with XP Prof (since you can't
move OEM software between computers due to licensing). We got the
2.8g/1m/533 and 512MB PC2700 for under $300 (all new and retail).

The intent was to spend under $300 for each of these upgrades to boost
the performance to something acceptable - since another IT company
spec'd and furnished them, we didn't have any say in the initial
purchase. Upgrading them also saved TIME (which is money) as it would
not require any software purchase or setup time, just about 15 minutes
per machine to upgrade them and put them back in service.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Good point. A lot of people do not understand the time vs. money tradeoffs in
dealing with computer systems, until it is their time or their money.

.... Ben Myers

Leythos wrote:

> In article <xrdIe.5996$%a2.3199@trndny03>, muto@worldnet.att.net says...
>
>>computergeeks.com has a used p4/2.8ghz/512k/533fsb for $138. they are an
>>honest retailor.
>

> I don't buy used CPU's or OEM ones, I like the retail ones since they
> include a longer warranty (and I've actually used it several times) and
> that it comes with a great heat-sink and fan.

Out of curiousity, what's the frequency that you've had to replace CPU's
under warranty? I don't beleived I've ever had a pentium (or celeron)
based CPU go bad (at least by the time I retire the computer, and note
that I still carry a Dell LS w/ a PIII-400).

> Good point. A lot of people do not understand the time vs. money
> tradeoffs in
> dealing with computer systems, until it is their time or their money.
>
> ... Ben Myers

Especially *multiple* systems in a live business environment. No kidding.

Stew

> In article <tWbIe.1388$9U3.730@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net>, ejn63
> @netscape.net says...
>> Check the CPU you bought. The 2400 will support 400 and 533 CPUs, but
>> only Northwood (512K) and earlier.
>>
>> If you bought a Prescott CPU (1M cache), that's why it doesn't work.
>>
>> The 2.8/533/512K will work - the fastest one that will is the
>> 3.06/533/512K. None of the P4s with over-512K caches will work.
>
> That's it then, the one I bought is a 1M cache. I'll see if they have
> any 512K caches where I ordered the last one.
>
> Thanks!

And thanks to everyone in the thread. I had myself had forgotten to
consider the Northwood/Prescott angle as a possibility.

Stew

In article <UhhIe.1297$C11.815@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, SDNick484
@nospam.yahoo.com says...
> Leythos wrote:
>
> > In article <xrdIe.5996$%a2.3199@trndny03>, muto@worldnet.att.net says...
> >
> >>computergeeks.com has a used p4/2.8ghz/512k/533fsb for $138. they are an
> >>honest retailor.
> >

> > I don't buy used CPU's or OEM ones, I like the retail ones since they
> > include a longer warranty (and I've actually used it several times) and
> > that it comes with a great heat-sink and fan.
> >
> Out of curiousity, what's the frequency that you've had to replace CPU's
> under warranty? I don't beleived I've ever had a pentium (or celeron)
> based CPU go bad (at least by the time I retire the computer, and note
> that I still carry a Dell LS w/ a PIII-400).

I had to replace one Xeon and one P4 last year. I had to go through
Intel directly, was a PITA, but it was free.

I've also replaced two P3 series CPU's, but we deal with a LOT of
computers in a lot of different environments.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Interesting. Bummer that you couldn't have had some input into the initial
purchase. Good luck!

> In article <UReIe.112$qQ5.23658@news.uswest.net>, webman6@hotmail.com
> says...
>> Why didn't you just buy a new system? You've spent the money to do so.
>> Just curious.
>
> A new P4 system, would cost about $800 with XP Prof (since you can't
> move OEM software between computers due to licensing). We got the
> 2.8g/1m/533 and 512MB PC2700 for under $300 (all new and retail).
>
> The intent was to spend under $300 for each of these upgrades to boost
> the performance to something acceptable - since another IT company
> spec'd and furnished them, we didn't have any say in the initial
> purchase. Upgrading them also saved TIME (which is money) as it would
> not require any software purchase or setup time, just about 15 minutes
> per machine to upgrade them and put them back in service.
>

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

From a tax perspective, upgrading makes more sense than buying new.
The expense of "keeping the existing value of an asset through
maintenance" (eg oil changes & maintenance for a car, upgrades to a
computer, etc.) is tax deductible, whereas new asset purchases are
not. Since computers depeciate so quickly in value, upgrading can
make sense.

In fact, to make the argument of buying a new system even worse, many
states (New Jersey being one) require individuals and businesses to
pay a "use tax" for items purchased out-of-state. A "use tax" is
basically a sales-tax for out-of-state purchases (businesses and
individuals, if audited, face a very large penalty if use tax on
out-of-state purchases isn't reported). Off the record, very few
people pay the use tax, but it's still something the state-tax-man can
hit you with if you're ever audited.

A couple years ago (1996) I started working for the power company in
Virginia. The department was never allocated money for new computers,
but they were all techno-savy, and had a near-unlimited maintenance
budget. Rather than buying new computers, they upgraded them every
other year.

Imagine my suprise (and near heart-attack) when I sat down in 1996 and
saw an original IBM XT case sitting on my desk. They quickly assured
me that it was a Pentium-60 (90?) with cd-rom, vga monitor, etc.

Dan

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 02:51:56 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <UReIe.112$qQ5.23658@news.uswest.net>, webman6@hotmail.com
>says...
>> Why didn't you just buy a new system? You've spent the money to do so.
>> Just curious.
>
>A new P4 system, would cost about $800 with XP Prof (since you can't
>move OEM software between computers due to licensing). We got the
>2.8g/1m/533 and 512MB PC2700 for under $300 (all new and retail).
>
>The intent was to spend under $300 for each of these upgrades to boost
>the performance to something acceptable - since another IT company
>spec'd and furnished them, we didn't have any say in the initial
>purchase. Upgrading them also saved TIME (which is money) as it would
>not require any software purchase or setup time, just about 15 minutes
>per machine to upgrade them and put them back in service.

TRENDING THREADS