denx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002
My new PC content are as follow:

P4 2.26GHz
Gigabyte GA-8IGX
IBM 80GB hd
512MB Samsung

I use my computer for movie editing (just a beginner), some 3d games, watch DVD, and photo editing...

so can someone pls give me some suggestion????
budget...$400 - 1000, can give a little bit more but of course, if not nessary for my use...dont want to send too much on display card.

Thanks

PS> my friend told me to get Ge3Ti if I am going to get Ge4Mx
Also which one is better for my use??? r8500 or ti4200???
and shall I get 64MB ones or 128MB ones?
I dont need DVI

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You might want the Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder.

It's got the 3D power for most games, and the video inputs to help you with movie making apps. The DVD playback quality is supurb as well.

If ignorance is bliss, then why is everyone so miserable?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
If your budget is that high, I'd suggest waiting for a R9700 AIW. That'll seriously kick butt.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
If you want quality video editing capabilities, go to www.pinnaclesys.com

Forget the flakey Radeons. They may be able to play games, but if you want to do serious video editing, go with a professional card. Ever hear the expression: "You get what you pay for?"

You can get the DV500 for less than 500 bucks.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, he <i>could</i> do that, but he said he was just an ameteur and he watches DVDs, and games. That pinnacle would be great in the video editing, and then he'd have to get another card. I'm sure the R9700 AIW will actually be quite good, with some new MPEG features. Not sure what they are, cause I'm not into video editing/video capture stuff.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
Well, if he wants to play DVDs with 5.1 Dolby audio, let's just hope the 9700AIW has a better DVD player than the p.o.s. 7500AIW.

With Pinnacle, you know you have a good card. If you want to capture something, it WILL capture it, using the decoder you specify. My Radeon likes to change "capture as" options on the fly...But I'm sure ATI is working day and night to fix their dogsh!t drivers (yeah, right).

But maybe the 9700 will be the "cure" and will be the first ATI product to work perfectly. After all, there is a first time for everything.

If you want to record the Three Stooges in B & W, with a low resolution, the ATI will probably work for at least an hour before the PC freezes and requires a power-off reboot. But if you want to capture REAL, full-motion, high-resolution video, I recommend that you RUN from ATI as if the devil was chasing you!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hmm.... sounds like you had a nasty run with an ATi product. I've not heard many of the issues that you mention, so I'm not sure what to say. Well, we'll take a look at the R9700 AIW and see how it does. BTW, I've heard that ATi's DVD quality was quite good, wonder why the R7500AIW crapped out so much.

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
The Radeon's picture quality is excellent. In fact, I'm using only the TV-out and not even using a monitor. Unlike most video cards that "adjust" the image to fit on a TV screen, the ATI's output is IMHO as good as possible on a TV.

But my issues were the little things most people on these boards could care less about...Dolby audio going out of sync with the video, able to capture with "ATIplayer" but not able to capture to mpeg2, RemoteWonder's mouse erratic operation, TV channel changing problems.

I tried video stuff with this card and for novelty, low-end "let's see if this works" purposes, it works. But for quality and reliability, it just doesn't cut it.

Maybe I'm just too damn pickey, but I just happen to prefer stability. If I want to use my remote wonder to go from chan 22 to chan 77, I should be able to press 7-7, and expect to go there, right? But Nooooo, i have to go channel up (or down) to "wake up" the remote, then the numbers work. And just try to use that remote wonder mouse to click on something across the screen...just visualize using a joystick while wearing a boxing glove...similar effect.

archfeld

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
If you are doing serious video editing STAY AWAY from an AGP card. You NEED a PCI card, the AGP bus has horrible synchronous throughput....It feeds the CPU well but has terrible flow the other way. I can't remember the location of the article but it explained the AGP bus has been optimized to display lots of pretty colors but not to actually work with :) What you need is a PCI card with about 1GB of memory to go with the 1.5GB in the machine and the 10k scsi drive....

archfeld

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I've got a 9700 and the answer IT isn't. The catalyst drivers are still buggy as all hell. When it isn't crashing it IS faster than my MSI ti-4600, but that card is ROCK solid and Nvidia's drivers are expontentialy better than ATI's.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
nvidias drivers are very good compared to ATi's, but not exponetially better. Plus its not like ati is gonna be stuck with the same drivers forever...they are workin hard to get good drivers and i believe soon they will release them.
btw im not sure what u are talkin about. who sells pci cards anymore? why buy a pci card with such a small bandwith that pci offers?? i dont get it? u think professinal video editors (not to mention that our friend is just an amateur) use old pci cards?? lol... show me where u got that information...

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: