Fire wall effectivity in hell?

Hi,

I wonder if fire wall can kill things in hell. It seems that max fire
wall + max fire mastery with a few +skills results in at most 3000-4000
damage per second. (Please correct me if this is wrong).

Most monsters in hell have plenty of hitpoints. I'm afraid it will takes
ages to kill them with fire walls, particularly since they insist to
move out of the walls. What's your experience? Is fire wall feasible as
offensive spell for a sorceress in hell?

--
c.u. Hajo

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if fire wall can kill things in hell. It seems that max fire
> wall + max fire mastery with a few +skills results in at most 3000-4000
> damage per second. (Please correct me if this is wrong).
>
> Most monsters in hell have plenty of hitpoints. I'm afraid it will takes
> ages to kill them with fire walls, particularly since they insist to
> move out of the walls. What's your experience? Is fire wall feasible as
> offensive spell for a sorceress in hell?
>
> --
> c.u. Hajo

Most fire sorc's seem to go for Meteor & Fireball.
I have a few 5/5 fire facets lying around though if your on
Europe-LoD-SC-Ladder and want one or two :)

Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if fire wall can kill things in hell. It seems that max fire
> wall + max fire mastery with a few +skills results in at most 3000-4000
> damage per second. (Please correct me if this is wrong).

Actually, max firewall + 1 hard point in FM + 12 skill points from gear on
my sorc result in 5276-5326 FW dmg/sec (3,6 seconds duration). <-- Not too
shabby ;)

> Most monsters in hell have plenty of hitpoints. I'm afraid it will takes
> ages to kill them with fire walls, particularly since they insist to
> move out of the walls. What's your experience? Is fire wall feasible as
> offensive spell for a sorceress in hell?

In my experience, the key factor for efficient use of firewall is a good
mercenary. Basically, you drag monsters to your merc (so they'll focus on
him and stay in one place), and then hit them with the firewall. In most
cases you won't have to cast it more than 2-3 times. HF merc (NM defensive)
would probably be the best choice for this.

Still, I wouldn't recommend using it as your main skill, cause aiming (and
missing) FW can be pretty darn tedious. As a backup skill it should do just
fine.

--
Duergar

Trammel wrote::
> "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message

>>I wonder if fire wall can kill things in hell.

[...]

> Most fire sorc's seem to go for Meteor & Fireball.

Yes, meteor is synergized with other fire spells, probably has higher
total damage against single targets and is easier to aim.

I like to try the unusual. I just want to be sure that I have a chance
to get through the whole game. I don't mind if the character is only
second or third best build, as long as it's fun to play.

> I have a few 5/5 fire facets lying around though if your on
> Europe-LoD-SC-Ladder and want one or two :)

Hey, we met yesterday in the game, although IIRC you only met my
assassin in person :)

You helped me so much already, and seriously I couldn't use the fire
facets right away. Even if the offer is very tempting. Maybe you can
make someone else happy with them. I'd feel bad taking them, after
getting so much help from you and without being able to return at least
a little bit of it.

--
c.u. Hajo

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
[snip]
> You helped me so much already, and seriously I couldn't use the fire
> facets right away. Even if the offer is very tempting. Maybe you can
> make someone else happy with them. I'd feel bad taking them, after
> getting so much help from you and without being able to return at least
> a little bit of it.
[snip]

*checks other thread*

Oh yeah... my bad :¬/
Sorry, my short-term memory is REALLY bad ;¬(

The offer still stands though if you want them later... just leave a msg on
the newsgroup for me and I'll see what I can do :¬)

Duergar wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I wonder if fire wall can kill things in hell.

[...]

> Actually, max firewall + 1 hard point in FM + 12 skill points from gear on
> my sorc result in 5276-5326 FW dmg/sec (3,6 seconds duration). <-- Not too
> shabby ;)

Thank you for the numbers :) I didn't know how it scales, so I just made
a wild guess based on my current fire wall skills.

Yes, 5200+ looks good. It is about double the damage my fire wall does
now, so I know there is some space for improvement. Also you say you
have one point in fire mastery, which means I can put more in there and
pump it up further if I want to.

+12 skills is impressive. I think I rather base my calculation on so
much +skills for my own character, I might not get the items needed.

>>Most monsters in hell have plenty of hitpoints. I'm afraid it will takes
>>ages to kill them with fire walls

[...]

> In my experience, the key factor for efficient use of firewall is a good
> mercenary. Basically, you drag monsters to your merc (so they'll focus on
> him and stay in one place), and then hit them with the firewall.

Yes. Fire wall also works very well for parties where some members like
to fight monsters on close range, like most barbarians.

Fire wall works very badly if you suddenly loose support (merc died, and
no party members there to help). 'Faster walk/run' items are your friend
then :)

> In most
> cases you won't have to cast it more than 2-3 times. HF merc (NM defensive)
> would probably be the best choice for this.

Got one :)
Yes he's a really good choice.

> Still, I wouldn't recommend using it as your main skill, cause aiming (and
> missing) FW can be pretty darn tedious.

I'm practising. And I like it :) Fire walls can basically be aimed in a
lot of directions. I assume it's mostly a matter of taste if you like
the fiddling or not. So far I'm very pleased with my aiming skills and
I'm getting better each gaming session.

> As a backup skill it should do just fine.

We'll see. The cold spells are tempting, yet I want to play this
character with fire wall as main weapon, and the other spells are just
support or emergency backup in case of fire immunes.

Speaking of fire immunes. I heard fire actually heals them? Is that
true? I thought, it just doesn't hurt them.

I'm asking because at some point I'll have to fight mixed groups, e.g.
lightning and fire immune monsters in mixed crowds, and I don't want to
heal some of them while trying to kill the others. Fire walls will
always hit a lot of monsters simultaneously if cast into a crowd.

--
c.u. Hajo

Trammel wrote::

> "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> [snip]
>
>>You helped me so much already, and seriously I couldn't use the fire
>>facets right away. Even if the offer is very tempting. Maybe you can
>>make someone else happy with them. I'd feel bad taking them, after
>>getting so much help from you and without being able to return at least
>>a little bit of it.
>
> [snip]
>
> *checks other thread*
>
> Oh yeah... my bad :¬/
> Sorry, my short-term memory is REALLY bad ;¬(

No worries. I'll remind you if neccesary :eek:)

> The offer still stands though if you want them later... just leave a msg on
> the newsgroup for me and I'll see what I can do :¬)

:)

--
c.u. Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Duergar wrote::
>
>> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> +12 skills is impressive. I think I rather base my calculation on so
> much +skills for my own character, I might not get the items needed.

It's OK, but hardly impressive. Anyways, 8-9 +skills should be easily
achievable (rare orb, amulet and helm should get you at least +4-5;
"Spirit" shield +2; throw in Vipermagi armor & magefist gloves ... et
voila! - cheap +8 skills).

>> In my experience, the key factor for efficient use of firewall is a good
>> mercenary. Basically, you drag monsters to your merc (so they'll focus on
>> him and stay in one place), and then hit them with the firewall.
>
> Yes. Fire wall also works very well for parties where some members like
> to fight monsters on close range, like most barbarians.
>
> Fire wall works very badly if you suddenly loose support (merc died, and
> no party members there to help). 'Faster walk/run' items are your friend
> then :)

He-he, for sure. Teleport is even better ;)

>> Still, I wouldn't recommend using it as your main skill, cause aiming (and
>> missing) FW can be pretty darn tedious.
>
> I'm practising. And I like it :) Fire walls can basically be aimed in a
> lot of directions. I assume it's mostly a matter of taste if you like
> the fiddling or not. So far I'm very pleased with my aiming skills and
> I'm getting better each gaming session.
>
>> As a backup skill it should do just fine.
>
> We'll see. The cold spells are tempting, yet I want to play this
> character with fire wall as main weapon, and the other spells are just
> support or emergency backup in case of fire immunes.

Kewl then! Diversity is always welcome.

> Speaking of fire immunes. I heard fire actually heals them? Is that
> true? I thought, it just doesn't hurt them.
>
> I'm asking because at some point I'll have to fight mixed groups, e.g.
> lightning and fire immune monsters in mixed crowds, and I don't want to
> heal some of them while trying to kill the others. Fire walls will
> always hit a lot of monsters simultaneously if cast into a crowd.

Sorry, I can't confirm this, but wouldn't worry about it either. Even if
it's true, it's not like you'll be giving them rejuvenation potions...

--
Duergar

"Duergar" <duergar@gmail.com> wrote in message
[snip]
> > Speaking of fire immunes. I heard fire actually heals them? Is that
> > true? I thought, it just doesn't hurt them.
> >
> > I'm asking because at some point I'll have to fight mixed groups, e.g.
> > lightning and fire immune monsters in mixed crowds, and I don't want to
> > heal some of them while trying to kill the others. Fire walls will
> > always hit a lot of monsters simultaneously if cast into a crowd.
[snip]

I've noticed problems with Lighting & Fire based attacks healing monsters
that are immune to those elements but never with Cold for some strange
reason.

Not sure if its actually the attacks that are healing them or some weird
coincidence though

..

I think the effect also levels-off as your elemental damage gets higher...
but yet again this was noticed just in passing and I've not bothered to
research it any further so could be due to circumstantial reasons :¬s

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> Duergar wrote::
> > Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wonder if fire wall can kill things in hell.
>
> [...]
>
> > Actually, max firewall + 1 hard point in FM + 12 skill points from
> > gear on my sorc result in 5276-5326 FW dmg/sec (3,6 seconds
> > duration). <-- Not too shabby ;)
>
> Thank you for the numbers :) I didn't know how it scales, so I just
> made a wild guess based on my current fire wall skills.

You could try with one of these skill planners:
http://diablo2.ingame.de/spiel/skills/calc/
http://d2items.com/skills.php

--
AGD2 FAQ: http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php

Gundemarie Scholz wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>Duergar wrote::

>>[...]
>>
>>>Actually, max firewall + 1 hard point in FM + 12 skill points from
>>>gear on my sorc result in 5276-5326 FW dmg/sec (3,6 seconds
>>>duration). <-- Not too shabby ;)
>>
>>Thank you for the numbers :) I didn't know how it scales, so I just
>>made a wild guess based on my current fire wall skills.
>
> You could try with one of these skill planners:
> http://diablo2.ingame.de/spiel/skills/calc/
> http://d2items.com/skills.php

Thank you for the links!

It seems that I have a resasonable chance to get the firewall up to
4500-5000 damage/second (given my expectations on what equipment I can
get, and how my skills points will be distributed).

Probably this is good enough to survive somewhat comfortably.

--
c.u. Hajo

Duergar wrote::
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Duergar wrote::
>>
>>>Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>+12 skills is impressive. I think I rather base my calculation on so
>>much +skills for my own character, I might not get the items needed.
>
> It's OK, but hardly impressive. Anyways, 8-9 +skills should be easily
> achievable (rare orb, amulet and helm should get you at least +4-5;
> "Spirit" shield +2; throw in Vipermagi armor & magefist gloves ... et
> voila! - cheap +8 skills).

Cheap :)

Sometimes I think I have inbuilt -100MF. I've got some very nice items
for my sorc as gifts from other players, yet no luck in finding such
things by myself.

Found no orb/staff with more than +1 skills, no +skill amu at all, let
alone the unique items. But my most advanced character just reached act
5 hell, yet is actually too weak to be comfortable with more than act 3.

Probably it's just a matter of time and how far I get my most advanced
characters forward. The longer I play the more things I find and my
mules stashes fill up with a lot of nice stuff.

A spirit shield seems doable.

>>Fire wall works very badly if you suddenly loose support (merc died, and
>>no party members there to help). 'Faster walk/run' items are your friend
>>then :)
>
> He-he, for sure. Teleport is even better ;)

I don't know why I forget this all the time. All my sorceresses can
teleport, but I almost never use it. Maybe this is because I switch my
characters too often and noone else has a comparable ability.

>>Speaking of fire immunes. I heard fire actually heals them? Is that
>>true? I thought, it just doesn't hurt them.
>
> Sorry, I can't confirm this, but wouldn't worry about it either. Even if
> it's true, it's not like you'll be giving them rejuvenation potions...

I've just been asking because I was adviced by a party member not to use
fire on fire immunes.

Thank you for your advice! It sure will help :)

--
c.u. Hajo

TRENDING THREADS