USB hangs up on Dimension 8300

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running Win XP SP2. When I tried to install a
Maxtor external HDD on USB it suddenly locked the USB ports. The USB ports
still appear on the system, but they simply don't work anymore. When I plug
a USB key nothing happens, and some devices just get the result "USB device
not recognized". I've tried unistalling all the USB devices, they get
reinstalled but with the same result.

The Dell support told me to restart all over, formatting the HDD and
reinstalling everything.

Does someone know if there are other things to try before going for that
highly time consuming task (whether in the registry or somewhere else). TNX

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Are you showing support for USB 2.0 devices in device manager? Under USB
controllers, you should show some type of Enhanced or USB2 or something like
that for a controller. If you don't, look at the properties of the standard
controller and update the driver. Probably use the "I know where it is
located" route. When you get the window with the devices listed, see if
there is a USB 2.0 Enhanced controller.

Clark

"Klaus Brolliot" <petrer@hitmail.con> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running Win XP SP2. When I tried to install a
> Maxtor external HDD on USB it suddenly locked the USB ports. The USB ports
> still appear on the system, but they simply don't work anymore. When I
> plug
> a USB key nothing happens, and some devices just get the result "USB
> device
> not recognized". I've tried unistalling all the USB devices, they get
> reinstalled but with the same result.
>
> The Dell support told me to restart all over, formatting the HDD and
> reinstalling everything.
>
> Does someone know if there are other things to try before going for that
> highly time consuming task (whether in the registry or somewhere else).
> TNX

"Klaus Brolliot" <petrer@hitmail.con> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running Win XP SP2. When I tried to install a
> Maxtor external HDD on USB it suddenly locked the USB ports. The USB ports
> still appear on the system, but they simply don't work anymore. When I
> plug
> a USB key nothing happens, and some devices just get the result "USB
> device
> not recognized". I've tried unistalling all the USB devices, they get
> reinstalled but with the same result.
>
> The Dell support told me to restart all over, formatting the HDD and
> reinstalling everything.
>
> Does someone know if there are other things to try before going for that
> highly time consuming task (whether in the registry or somewhere else).
> TNX

How about the highly convenient system restore back to a date before the
problem started....

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
k%sIe.11564$jq.1780@bignews3.bellsouth.net...

> How about the highly convenient system restore back to a date before the
> problem started....

Thank you. That was the first thing I've tried... unsuccessfully.

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> k%sIe.11564$jq.1780@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>>
>> How about the highly convenient system restore back to a date before the
>> problem started....
>
> Thank you. That was the first thing I've tried... unsuccessfully.

Try restoring the BIOS to the factory defaults? Perhaps some drive or USB
settings there flaked out.

Enter BIOS

ALT+F to restore defaults (system beeps)

ESC to exit saving changes.

Stew
(gots an 8300 here myself....)

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
VMrIe.3374$iT2.1102@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...
> Are you showing support for USB 2.0 devices in device manager? Under USB
> controllers, you should show some type of Enhanced or USB2 or something
> like that for a controller. If you don't, look at the properties of the
> standard controller and update the driver. Probably use the "I know where
> it is located" route. When you get the window with the devices listed, see
> if there is a USB 2.0 Enhanced controller.

It shows, I've tried to update the driver, it already looks like the latest
version is in.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
5ryIe.5159$%X1.4478@bignews1.bellsouth.net...

> Try restoring the BIOS to the factory defaults? Perhaps some drive or USB
> settings there flaked out.
>
> Enter BIOS
>
> ALT+F to restore defaults (system beeps)
>
> ESC to exit saving changes.

Still doesn't work...

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 5ryIe.5159$%X1.4478@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>>
>> Try restoring the BIOS to the factory defaults? Perhaps some drive or
>> USB settings there flaked out.
>>
>> Enter BIOS
>>
>> ALT+F to restore defaults (system beeps)
>>
>> ESC to exit saving changes.
>
> Still doesn't work...

With the drive unplugged -

Default the BIOS settings again (alt +F)

Then try clearing the NVRAM (caps/scroll/num lock enabled, then ALT+E)

ESC to exit.

Post back...

Stew