Lose ability to get on/off line (via dial up) using wirele..

My wife and I have a Linksys wireless network set up. Unfortunately, we
share a lowly dial-up connection. My wife's PC is the one connected to the
phone line, but I can also control the dial-up session through an Internet
Conncection Sharing icon.

When I go to Starbucks to use the T-Mobile network, I have to (obviously)
change network configuration--and then change it back when I come back home.
However, when I come back home and re-configure the network, I lose the
ability to start and stop a dial-up session. This has happened before, but
the ability eventulaly comes back. It's been 3 days now, and I still don't
have the ability to turn on/off a dial-up session. Can anyone help?

WinXP sp1, Linksys 801.11b

-------------------------------
remove "smooth" from my yahoo.com address.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:27:05 -0500, hmc wrote:

> My wife and I have a Linksys wireless network set up. Unfortunately, we
> share a lowly dial-up connection. My wife's PC is the one connected to the
> phone line, but I can also control the dial-up session through an Internet
> Conncection Sharing icon.
>
> When I go to Starbucks to use the T-Mobile network, I have to (obviously)
> change network configuration--and then change it back when I come back home.
> However, when I come back home and re-configure the network, I lose the
> ability to start and stop a dial-up session. This has happened before, but
> the ability eventulaly comes back. It's been 3 days now, and I still don't
> have the ability to turn on/off a dial-up session. Can anyone help?
>
> WinXP sp1, Linksys 801.11b
>
> -------------------------------
> remove "smooth" from my yahoo.com address.

It may have to do with the way a Microsoft lan chooses a master name server
among the computers in the network. If Your laptop has a newer operating
system than the other machine, it may be making itself the master, in which
case it doesn't recognize the change in network when you change location.
If you can use the other machine's IP address instead of it's name, I'll
bet you can get through.

--
Barry

Thanks Barry, but the problem isn't inability to get through. I can get to
my wife's files and I can get on the Internet when SHE gets online. The
problem is that I used to be able to connect and disconnect from MY pc using
the modem on her pc.

--