Best HC Char for Hell Maggot?

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

I would like to survey the group about their thinking for the best hardcore
character to handle Hell Maggot Lair. I current have one level 93
Skellimancer that has soloed the entire game, and have 9 other characters
that are stuck in Act 2.

I've tried a number of SP characters without conclusive results. The basic
problem is the narrow passageways, which is problematic for any non-melee
characters...my necro took well over 2 hours to do the Maggot Lair, slowly
inching forward, then back, the let the minions engage the enemies, and
casting Attract to send them against one another. But I don't want to risk
him on this for the other characters, and would like to find something that
will work.

Also interested in what equipment would be best to support Maggot Lair runs.
I have a level 77 zealot that I can put shaft, Tgods, Lightsaber and Gore
Riders on, then thinking of Lava Gout or Laying of Hands for the gloves, and
some nice rings to bump up resists. Alternate armor is Guardian Angel.
Thoughts?

Other candidates for this include a FO/Meteor sorc, trappasin, concentrate
SS Barb, full Mavinas bowazon and hammerdin. They are spongeworthy, and I
can swap equipment where necessary.

Thanks!

What everyone else said (esp. about Necro with CE) +

How about a CL/FO sorc? (with a Holy Freeze Merc)

Everything is chilled as Holy Freeze will affect Cold Immunes.

CL takes out the maggots and insect swarms. FO takes the scarabs.

You can shoot down long corridors with either skill and also lob them
into rooms from outside the doorway.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

doodles wrote:
> I would like to survey the group about their thinking for the best
hardcore
> character to handle Hell Maggot Lair. I current have one level 93
> Skellimancer that has soloed the entire game, and have 9 other
characters
> that are stuck in Act 2.

Hydra sorc. Mine used to rule the maggot lair.

-Jason

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

I was thinking along the same lines with an FO/Meteor sorc. She's currently
wearing full Tals, which I would hate to lose, so maybe I can swap out some
of the pieces and put in some others for Lightning absorb. Thanks.

In article <v1O9e.858$iB1.608@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I would like to survey the group about their thinking for the best hardcore
>character to handle Hell Maggot Lair. I current have one level 93
>Skellimancer that has soloed the entire game, and have 9 other characters
>that are stuck in Act 2.
>
>I've tried a number of SP characters without conclusive results. The basic
>problem is the narrow passageways, which is problematic for any non-melee
>characters...my necro took well over 2 hours to do the Maggot Lair, slowly
>inching forward, then back, the let the minions engage the enemies, and
>casting Attract to send them against one another. But I don't want to risk
>him on this for the other characters, and would like to find something that
>will work.

What kind of necro build is this? It looks like you have plenty of items,
so you should be able to acquire a pair of Marrowalks for the necro: with
a synergized bone spear/spirit from that, my necro went through the maggot
lair without much problems.

Also, CE helped there, and if you don't have that.... You're in a bit of
trouble.

>Also interested in what equipment would be best to support Maggot Lair runs.
>I have a level 77 zealot that I can put shaft, Tgods, Lightsaber and Gore
>Riders on, then thinking of Lava Gout or Laying of Hands for the gloves, and
>some nice rings to bump up resists. Alternate armor is Guardian Angel.
>Thoughts?

If you can equip the GA, and max the resists of the paladin (i.e., get all
of them at +90, or what was it, GA added?), he should have little troubles
there.

My Hammerdin uses a Wizspike, HoZ, GA, Harlequin's Crest, and some other
stuff, and he got through the Maggot Lair fine...

>Other candidates for this include a FO/Meteor sorc, trappasin, concentrate
>SS Barb, full Mavinas bowazon and hammerdin. They are spongeworthy, and I
>can swap equipment where necessary.

A got a lightning trapper through there too with little trouble. Ditto for
an IK Barb: like a knife through butter. Hammerdin should be doable too,
once you get the hang of how the Hammers curve, you can even aim them,
more or less, in the cramped tunnels of the Maggot's Lair...

Regards,

Patrick.

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

My necro has Marrowalks and CE...it's not that they weren't helpful, but he
still had to walk in front of all his minions first in order to draw the
monsters to him. Once I turned a corner just as an egg hatched a bunch of
maggots that surrounded me and damn near killed me before I killed the one
that allowed me to escape. And my minions were no damn good, only one can
hit at a time in the cramped corridors.

I don't have bone spear or spirit, and only one unallocated skill point. In
any case, I'd like to try it with another character, rather than risk my
main MFer.

I can max my resists on both my paldins (hammerdin and zealot), and will
give them each a go in NM before taking on Hell. Thanks for the advice.

No IK-worthy barb in the making. I have one SS concentrate barb that uses
Lightsaber, and a Thrower...the second is not able to handle the Maggot Lair
ay-tall.

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:864c0$4267af3f$82a1d3bf$9748@news2.tudelft.nl...

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My necro has Marrowalks and CE...it's not that they weren't helpful, but
he
> still had to walk in front of all his minions first in order to draw the
> monsters to him. Once I turned a corner just as an egg hatched a bunch of
> maggots that surrounded me and damn near killed me before I killed the one
> that allowed me to escape. And my minions were no damn good, only one can
> hit at a time in the cramped corridors.
>
> I don't have bone spear or spirit, and only one unallocated skill point.
In
> any case, I'd like to try it with another character, rather than risk my
> main MFer.
>
> I can max my resists on both my paldins (hammerdin and zealot), and will
> give them each a go in NM before taking on Hell. Thanks for the advice.

IMO a Hammerdin is risky unless he has a really beefed up Merc, just because
if you don't position him just right the hammers are just hitting the walls.

A Fireball/FO Sorc works wonders down there, those tunnels pin everything in
for Mass Destruction.

> No IK-worthy barb in the making. I have one SS concentrate barb that uses
> Lightsaber, and a Thrower...the second is not able to handle the Maggot
Lair
> ay-tall.

Either one of the barbs should be ok, actually. I'd feel more comfortable
with the thrower myself, but it all depends on what you're throwing though
:)

short

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:02:27 +0000, doodles wrote:

> My necro has Marrowalks and CE...it's not that they weren't helpful, but
> he still had to walk in front of all his minions first in order to draw
> the monsters to him. Once I turned a corner just as an egg hatched a
> bunch of maggots that surrounded me and damn near killed me before I
> killed the one that allowed me to escape. And my minions were no damn
> good, only one can hit at a time in the cramped corridors.

I have a minion called ....golem that can be recasted at will in any
position, he can get the monsters to you in stead you to monsters.

> I don't have bone spear or spirit, and only one unallocated skill point.
> In any case, I'd like to try it with another character, rather than risk
> my main MFer.
>
> I can max my resists on both my paldins (hammerdin and zealot), and will
> give them each a go in NM before taking on Hell. Thanks for the advice.

My zealot was a little scared going down there, maybe he has 90 or higher
resists and 75% block, but he still has low life compared to a barb.

> No IK-worthy barb in the making. I have one SS concentrate barb that uses
> Lightsaber, and a Thrower...the second is not able to handle the Maggot
> Lair ay-tall.

Myself i always use my IK barb with concentrate when i have to rescue
people in the lair, but my berserker with sword and ss still went through
without much trouble using concentrate as a 1 point wonder.

And my late thrower haven't been in places he could not handle while
concentrating on the game, don't underestimate a thrower, but don't play
him when watching TV and playing with a cigaret, that he can't always
handle :)

--
Sonni

> I would like to survey the group about their thinking for the best
hardcore
> character to handle Hell Maggot Lair. I current have one level 93
> Skellimancer that has soloed the entire game, and have 9 other characters
> that are stuck in Act 2.

The two easiest chars I have had to get thru there were a BF assassin, and
strafezon. Both were able to solo it, something my other chars try to avoid.
The assassin had maxed shadow master, the zon had maxed valk, both of who
were there to block the passageway and keep my char alive while they fired
away.

What about a Hydra Sorc? Mine worked pretty well in the maggot lair.
basically cast one before you make the turn, 9 times out of 10, theres
something waiting for you round the corner and the hydra starts spewing
death right after cast. Has dual benefit, one it takes out some of the
bad dudes and second you know there was something there and probably is
more bad dudes waiting for you so you cast another. :p

This works spcially well against them beetle things, the ones that give
out electric charges when hit, since you are round the corner from
them, you dont get hit. Also a hydra cant be hit so its immune to their
charges. The critters dont see you [being round the corner as you are]
and hence dont bypass the hydra to chase after you. If you cast a golem
[as a necro] near a corner, it will just walk back to you and maybe
lead the whole draned pack of critters to you...that would be scary.

Jason wrote:
> doodles wrote:
>
>>I would like to survey the group about their thinking for the best
>>character to handle Hell Maggot Lair. I current have one level 93
>>Skellimancer that has soloed the entire game, and have 9 other
>
> Hydra sorc. Mine used to rule the maggot lair.

Last season I had a pure fire sorc (Meteor/Fireball) who owned
the Maggot Lair. 1-2 Fireballs killed anything there. One
Meteor eliminated any crowd.

Only occasional random bosses could spawn FI there. She had a
+3 Blizzard orb on switch (one natural point in CM), and
together with her merc, these rare random guys weren't a problem.

Bing

doodles schrieb:
> I would like to survey the group about their thinking for the best hardcore
> character to handle Hell Maggot Lair. I current have one level 93
> Skellimancer that has soloed the entire game, and have 9 other characters
> that are stuck in Act 2.
>
> I've tried a number of SP characters without conclusive results. The basic
> problem is the narrow passageways, which is problematic for any non-melee
> characters...my necro took well over 2 hours to do the Maggot Lair, slowly
> inching forward, then back, the let the minions engage the enemies, and
> casting Attract to send them against one another. But I don't want to risk
> him on this for the other characters, and would like to find something that
> will work.

My Javazon with max LF, Plague/Poison Javelin and a good amount of
Pierce performed quite well in Maggot's Lair. Supported by Valk and
merc of course. Note that the poison cloud of Plague Javelin (not the
jav itself) does not trigger the lightning sparks of the beetles, which
is good to remember when you face one of those nasty fire enchanted boss
packs.

A Lightning Sentry/Fire Blast/Death Sentry trapper works quite well too,
but requires some training to find the right spot to place LS, because
they tend to shoot against the walls. As with the zon, a castable minion
is very helpfull in tricky situations.

---
Hannes