Sign in with
Your question

Fav to win 2011World Series?

Last response: in Sports & Wellness
December 14, 2010 8:48:44 PM

With todays signing of Texas Rangers ace Cliff Lee the Philidelphia Phillies probably have the best staff in MLB. He was the best pitcher the Rangers had since Nolan Ryan and I was hoping that he would resign with Texas. I'd say the Phillies are now the pre season favorites. Opinions?
Thanks,
Dave
December 15, 2010 12:10:58 PM

Have you taken a look at the red sox roster? The redsox worst pitcher is Jon lackey or Dice K, pretty good 4 and 5's. Five or six of the starting nine will be capable of hitting 300 or close, half with power.

I know I'm a homer, but the Sox are pretty stacked this year. Remember they won 89 games last year with a hurt Josh Beckett, Kevin Youkilis, Justin pedroia, Jackob Ellsbury,Mike Cameron, and a bunch more that were in and out of the line up.

At one point the sox only had 4 starters on the field, the rest were call ups/rookies.

If they actually manage to stay healthy, I expect the sox to win 96-98 games.
December 16, 2010 3:32:35 AM

On paper the Phillies probably have the best staff in the league, no doubt. But as usual, it remains to be seen if they can all make it through the season injury free. I suspect Halladay and Lee will be just fine, as they have two of the best work ethics around in regard to staying in shape. Save for health, the only thing that the Phillies have to worry about is the offense staying on track and the bullpen. If all those elements fall into line, I suspect they'll take the NL pennant.

The Red Sox are stacked as well, but I just don't know if they have enough to go all the way.

I'd like the Cubs to win it all, of course, but they haven't done enough thus far in the off season. If they can stay healthy, they may have a shot at the division, but who knows how that will turn out. I wish that they would have brought in a first baseman who didn't bat .196 last year, yet, Pena could turn it around somewhat and hit for some serious power (I'm not holding my breath).
Related resources
December 16, 2010 2:20:49 PM

Going to have to say the Red Sox are tops this year provided they stay healthy, would have been nice to see them keep Victor Martinez but I'll take Gonzalez and Crawford any day. Let's hope their arrival will make J.D & David Ortiz better by association...
December 17, 2010 12:20:21 AM

Jd Drew and Ortiz are the key, if they play well, the lineup will be sick.
December 17, 2010 8:17:15 PM

I'm curious to see if Ortiz can have another year like he did this year. It seems that every May, everyone freaks out because he isn't hitting homers and such, yet he turns it around and ends up with 30+ at the end of the year.
December 17, 2010 10:59:25 PM

Yes Ortiz loves to drive us Boston fans crazy by doing that. His latest trend is to get off to a month or three slow streak, then hit 330 for the remainder of the season. I'll settle for a more consistent 280-290 BA all year.
December 20, 2010 11:34:59 AM

buwish said:
I'm curious to see if Ortiz can have another year like he did this year. It seems that every May, everyone freaks out because he isn't hitting homers and such, yet he turns it around and ends up with 30+ at the end of the year.

agreed, since 2004 people's expectations of him have been held very high. I'll take 30 bombs from him or 20 even, so long as he's playing well...
December 20, 2010 1:40:50 PM

That's it, I think he's at an age/point in his career where he might need to shorten his swing a little. He won't hit 30 or 40 HR, but his average will be back around 300 where it belongs. He's really a 25-30 HR 100 RBI player now. No more 35+ HR and 135+ RBI, those days are behind him.
December 21, 2010 3:30:30 AM

Unless he roids up Barry Bonds style. ;) 
December 21, 2010 11:15:54 AM

Roids FTW literally
December 22, 2010 11:51:30 PM

Speaking of which, I really hope Barry goes to jail for awhile. He's always been popular in San Fran, but outside of it, everyone hates him, including me. I'm also hoping that Clemens joins him. :p 
December 23, 2010 2:22:26 AM

Clemens gets no love from me for not wearing a Redsox hat in the hall of Fame. And he's dumb for lying to a grand jury.
December 23, 2010 3:15:42 AM

I don't think he'll be wearing any hat in the hall, as he probably won't get in now.
!