Belkin equipment

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

"Romaguera" <konagecko@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
news:kNNBc.9489$fd.2264@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Is this a good product?
> What do you suggest?

I used it for about a year and a half, when I bought it the 54Mb version was
released a few months later however I stuck with the 11Mb version. Note that
if you are copying large files (over 100MB+) over the WiFi LAN you might get
impatient with it cause it is slow.
I found the 128 bit encryption did effect performance, so I decided to drop
it a notch to 64bit enable MAC filtering and disable DHCP and that was
enough for me in terms of security. Once I set it up and hooked it with my
cable modem, I never needed to do any more work to it.
As I said it is pretty basic, easy to configure and for the home user it is
more than adequate, however if you are looking for advance firewall
functionality and log reporting this is not the hardware to do it.

Jamie

Great, thanks.
I was surprised to see it in Home Depot!

"Jamie" <jamie@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Romaguera" <konagecko@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Is this a good product?
> > What do you suggest?
>

> I used it for about a year and a half, when I bought it the 54Mb version
was
> released a few months later however I stuck with the 11Mb version. Note
that
> if you are copying large files (over 100MB+) over the WiFi LAN you might
get
> impatient with it cause it is slow.
> I found the 128 bit encryption did effect performance, so I decided to
drop
> it a notch to 64bit enable MAC filtering and disable DHCP and that was
> enough for me in terms of security. Once I set it up and hooked it with my
> cable modem, I never needed to do any more work to it.
> As I said it is pretty basic, easy to configure and for the home user it
is
> more than adequate, however if you are looking for advance firewall
> functionality and log reporting this is not the hardware to do it.
>
> Jamie

I can't say enough about the Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless G router. I
love it. Currently I'm using it as an access point. In my notebook,
I have a Netgear WG511T card and it works flawlessly with the Belkin.
The speed is great and I have WPA-PSK (AES) encryption enabled. I'm
very satisified with the Belkin.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:34:40 GMT, "Romaguera"
<konagecko@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>Is this a good product?
>What do you suggest?

I Agree Doug, I have the F5D7230-4 connected to a Motorola
5100 cable modem sharing internet access between 2 wired
desktops with 3Com PCI ethernet adapters, 2 laptops with
cheapy Xterasys wireless adapters, one laptop with wired
3com PCMCIA adapter and an ethernet wired USB print server.
They all work well and some are over 60' from the router
with 4 walls in between. Not bad for $30 including shipping
on e-bay.
....Terry in the Ozarks