Geforce 4200 and 2x AGP

Dr_Schnull

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Hi there just got myself a Gainward 4200 Golden Sample with 128 Mb ram (Proud Proud). My qestion does 2x AGP really so much worse in performance than a 4 X AGP port?
Cheers
Dr Schnull

valmojado

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
I'm also interested in any replies.

I'm thinking about buying a similar card (64mb version) and have an old mobo (GA-6VXE7) that according to the spec. supports AGP 2x only. Searching for my particular board and "AGP" tends to give links to pages in Russian and Chinese :(

My previous searches on the 2x/4x issue have given the impression that there is not a massive perf. diff. between the two. Other posters have suggested that it's more of a marketing gimic than anything...

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Both of you should be fine with AGP 2x.

<font color=red>I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I´m all out of bubblegum...</font color=red>

Goaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
I'm looking at buying this exact same card from KustomPC's.

My scenario is slightly different though. I have to make sure that the card can run at AGP4x. Excuse me if i'm being a numpty but are you asking this because the Gainwood card only runs at AGP 2x or does it run 4x also.

If you buy a card that says it is AGP 2x/4x in the spec does that mean that is is an AGP 4x but will also run in a 2x slot, or is it capable of both via jumpers?

How this defined on the Gainwood board you brought?

-= LtZ GoAtFaCe =-

AKA - "Goaty" because there's another Goatface :-(