+X% Enhanced Defense

Hi,

I've a question about the

"+X% Enhanced Defense"

item attribute. Does it affect only the items own defence value (e.g. a
shield with 50 defence and +20% enhanced defence will be 60 defence), or
does it affect the overall defence of the character?

--
c.u. Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> I've a question about the
>
> "+X% Enhanced Defense"
>
> item attribute. Does it affect only the items own defence value (e.g.
> a shield with 50 defence and +20% enhanced defence will be 60
> defence), or does it affect the overall defence of the character?

It applies to the defence of the particular item.

--
AGD2 FAQ: http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php

Gundemarie Scholz wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>I've a question about the
>>
>>"+X% Enhanced Defense"
>>
>>item attribute. Does it affect only the items own defence value (e.g.
>>a shield with 50 defence and +20% enhanced defence will be 60
>>defence), or does it affect the overall defence of the character?
>
> It applies to the defence of the particular item.

Thank you. Now this answer leaves me puzzled, I just found this on the
arreat summit pages:

-------------------------------
Unique lance "Spire of Honour":

Two-Hand Damage: (87-101) To (325-382) (206-241.5 Avg)
Required Level: 39
Required Strength: 110
Required Dexterity: 88
Durability: 25
Base Weapon Speed: [20]
+150-200% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 20-40 Damage
+ (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 % Damage To Demons (Based On Character
Level)
20% Faster Hit Recovery
Replenish Life +20
+25% Bonus To Attack Rating
+25% Enhanced Defense
+3 To Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+3 To Light Radius
-------------------------------

It has +25% enhanced defence, but no base defence value. 0+(0*0.25) = 0
So the modifier is worthless on that item?

It would make sense if it applies to the total defence of the character.

--
c.u. Hajo

~misfit~ wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>Gundemarie Scholz wrote::

[...]

> In instances where the item itself has none of the trait that the modifier
> applies to then it applies to the characters total pool of that trait.
>
> This also applies to certain armours, shields jewels etc that have enhanced
> damage. They don't do any damage of their own but modify the total damage of
> the character. It's only when the item has the trait that the modifier
> applies to that the modifier is only applied to that item.
>
> Confused yet?

No, thanks, this clarified a lot. The system even makes sense and is
easy to remember once you know.

Still one more question. I found a shield, with modifiers like this

32 Defense
+15% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
[some more]

Does that calculate as (32+10)*(1.15)=48.3 or (32*1.15)+(10)=46.7 ?

Not that it matter much in this example, but if the modifiers are big,
it makes a difference.

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d4kqih$k14$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> ~misfit~ wrote::

<snip>

> Still one more question. I found a shield, with modifiers like this
>
> 32 Defense
> +15% Enhanced Defense
> +10 Defense
> [some more]
>
> Does that calculate as (32+10)*(1.15)=48.3 or (32*1.15)+(10)=46.7 ?
>
> Not that it matter much in this example, but if the modifiers are big,
> it makes a difference.

Listed DEF already has mods added into it. So the example above looks
something like this:

32 Defense = (Base Item Defense +15%) + 10

Using this formula and info on the Arreat Summit on base items, you can
decide whether or not its worth upgrading items.