Static field at slvl 1 useful?

Hi,

I'm a bit scarse on skill points, yet trying to power up my sorc a bit.

(Clvl 73 now, needing 16 more points to finish my planned build, still
can do hell Radament and Izual, so I could finish the build at clvl 86,
but I look for alternatives because I doubt to get the skills points
soon and need to power up now).

So I'm pondering about putting one single point into static field.
(Depening on my weapon switch and equipment I can get +3 or +5 to the
skill.)

Static field seems to be a god option to weaken the big baddies before
attacking them with my usual offensive spells.

Static field at slvl 1 (+3 = 4) has a pretty small radius, so I must get
very close to the oppenents. I have a blurry idea of teleporting to the
target, static field it a few times in the hope to survive long enough,
and then teleport away again, switch to the ranged attack spells and
start the real fight.

I'm not sure if this strategy is more like a try to commit suicide or if
it is a promising trick to make use of the one skill point that I could
spend on static field?

If I can survive the teleport trick, it will be a great powerup. If the
teleport trick is more like instant death, I'd rather spend the point on
one of my attack spells.

My sorc has about 400 health ATM and 130 saved attribute points. I can
spend a few on vitality, yet I want to save some if I need more STR to
wear better gear later on. (Base STR is 48 currently, some items give me
+12 for a total of 60).

--
c.u. Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit scarse on skill points, yet trying to power up my sorc a
> bit.

I always took it as a given that any sorcerer is well advised to spend a
point on static field.
--
chainbreaker

In article <d4l4hg$e9c$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm a bit scarse on skill points, yet trying to power up my sorc a bit.
>
>(Clvl 73 now, needing 16 more points to finish my planned build, still
>can do hell Radament and Izual, so I could finish the build at clvl 86,
>but I look for alternatives because I doubt to get the skills points
>soon and need to power up now).

Which sorc of yours is this?

>So I'm pondering about putting one single point into static field.
>(Depening on my weapon switch and equipment I can get +3 or +5 to the
>skill.)
>
>Static field seems to be a god option to weaken the big baddies before
>attacking them with my usual offensive spells.

It's often referred to as a 1-point wonder, but that assumes you have
quite some +skills gear. Looking at your numbers above (+3/+5) it looks
like you don't have that many +skills, and therefore Static Field radius,
as you observed, remains rather low, and probably only of interest for the
end-of-act bosses.

>Static field at slvl 1 (+3 = 4) has a pretty small radius, so I must get
>very close to the oppenents. I have a blurry idea of teleporting to the
>target, static field it a few times in the hope to survive long enough,
>and then teleport away again, switch to the ranged attack spells and
>start the real fight.

I think it's an option, but this also assumes you have a durable sorc
(i.e., a lot of life, or a potent Energy Shield, or maxed block, or a
combination thereof).

>I'm not sure if this strategy is more like a try to commit suicide or if
>it is a promising trick to make use of the one skill point that I could
>spend on static field?
>
>If I can survive the teleport trick, it will be a great powerup. If the
>teleport trick is more like instant death, I'd rather spend the point on
>one of my attack spells.
>
>My sorc has about 400 health ATM and 130 saved attribute points. I can
>spend a few on vitality, yet I want to save some if I need more STR to
>wear better gear later on. (Base STR is 48 currently, some items give me
>+12 for a total of 60).

Where have all your points been put? If you only have 400 Health, but are
already in Hell, you indeed have a _very_ fragile sorc. I'd aim more
towards at least 800-900, and even that is possibly on the low side. (Of
course, pure ES sorcs put no points in vit, but all in energy, using their
mana+ES as a buffer).

Unless you're going for maxed block, pump some points into vit ASAP. And
you need some better gear I think. What's your sorc currently wearing?

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d4l4hg$e9c$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm a bit scarse on skill points, yet trying to power up my sorc a bit.
>>
>>(Clvl 73 now, needing 16 more points to finish my planned build, still
>>can do hell Radament and Izual, so I could finish the build at clvl 86,
>>but I look for alternatives because I doubt to get the skills points
>>soon and need to power up now).
>
> Which sorc of yours is this?

The firewall/frozen orb build. Including the mistake of 9 points in
charged bolt, until I changed my mind. So for sure I'll be 9 points
'weaker' than any clean build of that type.

I have 10 points saved

9 in charged bolt
20 in fire wall
9 in fire mastery
15 in frozen orb
1 in cold mastery
1 telekinesis
1 teleport
----------
66+10 = 76

=> my memory isn't so good, some of the values must be wrong. (One gets
4 extra skill points for the quests in each difficulty, right?)

The 16 points that I need are meant to max fire mastery and frozen orb.
I decided to max fire mastery first, then the rest goes into frozen orb.

(If I spend all my saved points, and do not got to hell, I could finish
the plan at clvl 79)

>>So I'm pondering about putting one single point into static field.
>>(Depening on my weapon switch and equipment I can get +3 or +5 to the
>>skill.)
>>
>>Static field seems to be a god option to weaken the big baddies before
>>attacking them with my usual offensive spells.
>
> It's often referred to as a 1-point wonder, but that assumes you have
> quite some +skills gear. Looking at your numbers above (+3/+5) it looks
> like you don't have that many +skills,

I missed one point. It's a total of 6. Occulus +3, Vipermagi +1, Amulett +2.

> and therefore Static Field radius,
> as you observed, remains rather low, and probably only of interest for the
> end-of-act bosses.

Lately I'm often helping new characters to beat the act bosses (and
Izual), so that's been my main concern. I also hope it will help me once
I face the bosses in hell again for my own quests.

>>Static field at slvl 1 (+3 = 4) has a pretty small radius, so I must get
>>very close to the oppenents. I have a blurry idea of teleporting to the
>>target, static field it a few times in the hope to survive long enough,
>>and then teleport away again, switch to the ranged attack spells and
>>start the real fight.
>
> I think it's an option, but this also assumes you have a durable sorc
> (i.e., a lot of life, or a potent Energy Shield, or maxed block, or a
> combination thereof).

I have none of that, just maxed resists which helps against the
elemental attacks. Yet I don't want to stay in Diablos lightning breath
for too long. Nightmare Diablo almost got me twice yesterday (Which
means I had to quaff a red potion. My merc needed two, too. I want to
beat Diablo without needing any potions).

>>My sorc has about 400 health ATM and 130 saved attribute points. I can
>>spend a few on vitality, yet I want to save some if I need more STR to
>>wear better gear later on. (Base STR is 48 currently, some items give me
>>+12 for a total of 60).
>
> Where have all your points been put?

The static field thing was a very spontaneous idea that I got this
morning. I gave all numbers from memory. Some are outdated for sure. I
didn't check them since a while, I did a lot of Baal runs, and my
character did well, so nothing needed to be powered up, except the
spells. I'm sure to have underestimated all numbers, yet I often don't
know how much.

From memory I can't give the exact figures. I'm somewhat sure that I
have more than 400 life, I think it was 470 when I last checked, but I
don't remember how many levels ago this happened. OTOH the 70 points
don't matter, since you suggest 800+ which is way more than I have. I
see, even if I put all my saved pints in vitality I can get only 260
more health. So for sure, health is not the strong side of this sorc.

In general the idea was to get STR to 60 (plate belt, magefist gloves),
leave DEX at min, and focus on vitality.

I broke the common rule by also putting points in energy.

I'll look up the exact numbers this evening and post them tomorrow for a
better reference.

> If you only have 400 Health, but are
> already in Hell, you indeed have a _very_ fragile sorc.

I didn't dare to go to hell yet. Nightmare is currently really fun to
play, even the act bosses are no real threat. I plan to stay in
nightmare up to my late 70s, basically until I can't get any experience
in nightmare anymore.

I hate stygian dolls! Really, deeply and very thoroughly! These are
almost the only thing I have to fear. They are easily overlooked, fast
and usually instant death for me if I discover them too late.

> I'd aim more
> towards at least 800-900, and even that is possibly on the low side.

Let me calculate. At level 73 I've got 365 attribute points from
levelling. A sorc gets 2 life for 1 vitality, 1 life per level and
starts with 40 life.

40 + 73 + 2*365 = 845

So it's possible at clvl 73, but means almost no points on anything else.

I can correct the mistake somewhat, I've got some spare points, but I'll
lack quite a lot of life compared to your suggestion.

> Unless you're going for maxed block, pump some points into vit ASAP.

Will do.

> And
> you need some better gear I think. What's your sorc currently wearing?

From memory:

Occulus
Skin of the vipermagi
+2 skills amulet
2 rare rings with +10% FCR each and nice resists
Rare sallet (forgot the mods)
Steelclash shield
Rare gauntlets (forgot the mods)
String of ears
Treads of Cthon (not sure, I have too much footgear to choose from)

A wild mix of great, good and average stuff.

--
c.u. Hajo

chainbreaker wrote::
> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm a bit scarse on skill points, yet trying to power up my sorc a
>>bit.
>
> I always took it as a given that any sorcerer is well advised to spend a
> point on static field.

I've read a few guides on how to build a sorc now, and quite some
suggest 1 (and only 1) point in static field. So I think I'll do it.

Maybe I should test the teleport trick during a Diablo run, before
spending the point, just to see if I can do it successfully.

Yesterday I managed to kill my lvl 80 assassin twice during a nightmare
Diablo run. So I want to be sure that the trick also works if I have a
bad day, being slow and tired.

I got a slight hint from my fellow players that a level 80 character may
not die that way. Sorry, I've just been way too tired, and if it takes a
full second to realize a danger and make a decision instead of a tenth
of a second, it's usually too late for any character ...

--
c.u. Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

/snip
> So I'm pondering about putting one single point into static field.
> (Depening on my weapon switch and equipment I can get +3 or +5 to the
> skill.)

Ponder no more! ;) One point is all you need, cause you'll surely get more
+skills equipment later, and then you'll regret wasting points in static.

> Static field at slvl 1 (+3 = 4) has a pretty small radius, so I must get
> very close to the oppenents. I have a blurry idea of teleporting to the
> target, static field it a few times in the hope to survive long enough,
> and then teleport away again, switch to the ranged attack spells and
> start the real fight.

Once again, having a half-decent merc is a must. Let the poor ah heck take
all the heat. Teleport in front of the monster, *step* (or two) back (or to
the side), and then cast static. _Stepping_ away is crucial, because that
way your merc will keep fighting, and the monster will stay focused on him.
If you teleport away, you'll drag your merc with you. Stay back, fire your
spells, keep your merc alive, and you're safe.

--
Duergar

Duergar wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>>Static field at slvl 1 (+3 = 4) has a pretty small radius, so I must get
>>very close to the oppenents. I have a blurry idea of teleporting to the
>>target, static field it a few times in the hope to survive long enough,
>>and then teleport away again, switch to the ranged attack spells and
>>start the real fight.
>
> Once again, having a half-decent merc is a must.

At least one thing that I did right :)
The sorc has a holy freeze act2 merc, with the best equipment of all of
my characters mercs. If one of them is strong, it's this one. (Ok, by
far not comparable with the suggestions that other palyers post, I just
can't afford the runewords and stuff. But for my level of playing, this
merc is good.)

> Let the poor ah heck take
> all the heat. Teleport in front of the monster, *step* (or two) back (or to
> the side), and then cast static. _Stepping_ away is crucial, because that
> way your merc will keep fighting, and the monster will stay focused on him.
> If you teleport away, you'll drag your merc with you. Stay back, fire your
> spells, keep your merc alive, and you're safe.

Thank you for your advice! This will save me from some mistakes that I'd
have made otherwise.

If we are on that topic: if I teleport with my merc, where does he
reappear? (Sorry for th stupid question, I have never really used
teleport so far, and have no D2 at hand right now to try it).

--
c.u. Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>

>> Which sorc of yours is this?
>
> The firewall/frozen orb build. Including the mistake of 9 points in
> charged bolt, until I changed my mind. So for sure I'll be 9 points
> 'weaker' than any clean build of that type.

That was not a mistake, it was an OMEN. :)
You were *chosen* to create a _TRI-ELEMENTAL-MAGE_!

> I have 10 points saved
>
> 9 in charged bolt
> 20 in fire wall
> 9 in fire mastery
> 15 in frozen orb
> 1 in cold mastery
> 1 telekinesis
> 1 teleport
> ----------
> 66+10 = 76

I don't know how far you were planning to take this build, but if I were
you, I'd max FO, leave Fire Mastery at 10, max Charged Bolt, 1 point into
Lightning Mastery, and remaining points into Lightning (synergy for CB).

This way you would have a useful FO (348-365 dmg/shard with +6 skills), a
useful Firewall (4406-4461 dmg/sec), and a decent Charged Bolt (24 bolts,
76-83dmg/bolt, with 10pts in Lightning) to play with.
With couple more points, even Lightning could do some damage (10points
result in 5-1108 dmg). You'll need 90 points for this, which is quite
achievable if you do all the quests.

Not the most powerful build, but certainly a unique one.
_Behold the great "Hajo-mage"!_ ;)

--
Duergar
Oh, and a point in warmth is pretty useful for any sorc build...

Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> If we are on that topic: if I teleport with my merc, where does he
> reappear? (Sorry for th stupid question, I have never really used
> teleport so far, and have no D2 at hand right now to try it).

Right beside you, or one step behind you. But, if you teleport close enough
to a monster, merc will go right after it. And you should stay right where
you are, and fire your spells from a safe distance.

--
Duergar

In article <jxvjgtqisz42$.bejlegfnx5pf$.dlg@40tude.net>,
Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>> The firewall/frozen orb build. Including the mistake of 9 points in
>> charged bolt, until I changed my mind. So for sure I'll be 9 points
>> 'weaker' than any clean build of that type.
>
>That was not a mistake, it was an OMEN. :)
>You were *chosen* to create a _TRI-ELEMENTAL-MAGE_!

*haha* Well, Tri Elemental is certainly a daring project. This was,
apparently (never tried it) quite doable in 1.09, but 1.10, they are
usually considered too weak.

>I don't know how far you were planning to take this build, but if I were
>you, I'd max FO, leave Fire Mastery at 10, max Charged Bolt, 1 point into
>Lightning Mastery, and remaining points into Lightning (synergy for CB).
>
>This way you would have a useful FO (348-365 dmg/shard with +6 skills), a
>useful Firewall (4406-4461 dmg/sec), and a decent Charged Bolt (24 bolts,
>76-83dmg/bolt, with 10pts in Lightning) to play with.
>With couple more points, even Lightning could do some damage (10points
>result in 5-1108 dmg). You'll need 90 points for this, which is quite
>achievable if you do all the quests.
>
>Not the most powerful build, but certainly a unique one.
>_Behold the great "Hajo-mage"!_ ;)

Definately different. What you could also do, and something I have in the
back of my mind since I read about it here, or the other diablo newsgroup,
is build a sorc that maximum maximum use of the 'synergy-bug' of 1.10. I
can't take credit for it, but I found it a very novel idea.

Unfortunately, there are no items which have really high-level charges of
some sorc spells (like Marrowalks with their very high level Bone Prison
charges), but there are some funny uniques which have charges. For
instance, there's a unique mace weapon with Meteor charges. These
apparently synergize quite nicely with the other fire spells.

And there are bound to be more. This will be a very strange build, using
some very strange, and very specific gear, but it sounded quite fun.

However, I still have plenty of the 'standard' builds to try out, so I'm
not starting this anytime soon, but I might do this sometime in the
future.

Just browse through the unique/runeword list on Arreat summit, and see
which items have sorc spell charges on them, check what they synergize,
and try to distill something workable from that. :)

>Oh, and a point in warmth is pretty useful for any sorc build...

Agreed. Another one of those 1-point skills, though I wouldn't call it a
wonder. But it certainly helps, especially when boosted by enough +skills
gear.

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
> In article <jxvjgtqisz42$.bejlegfnx5pf$.dlg@40tude.net>,
> Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>That was not a mistake, it was an OMEN. :)
>>You were *chosen* to create a _TRI-ELEMENTAL-MAGE_!
>
> *haha* Well, Tri Elemental is certainly a daring project. This was,
> apparently (never tried it) quite doable in 1.09, but 1.10, they are
> usually considered too weak.
>
>>I don't know how far you were planning to take this build, but if I were
>>you, I'd max FO, leave Fire Mastery at 10, max Charged Bolt, 1 point into
>>Lightning Mastery, and remaining points into Lightning (synergy for CB).
>>
>>This way you would have a useful FO (348-365 dmg/shard with +6 skills), a
>>useful Firewall (4406-4461 dmg/sec), and a decent Charged Bolt (24 bolts,
>>76-83dmg/bolt, with 10pts in Lightning) to play with.
>>With couple more points, even Lightning could do some damage (10points
>>result in 5-1108 dmg). You'll need 90 points for this, which is quite
>>achievable if you do all the quests.
>>
>>Not the most powerful build, but certainly a unique one.
>>_Behold the great "Hajo-mage"!_ ;)
>
> Definately different. What you could also do, and something I have in the
> back of my mind since I read about it here, or the other diablo newsgroup,
> is build a sorc that maximum maximum use of the 'synergy-bug' of 1.10. I
> can't take credit for it, but I found it a very novel idea.

Yeah, I babbled about archmagi, and Babe Bridou came up with the idea.
Whole story can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/85prv

> Unfortunately, there are no items which have really high-level charges of
> some sorc spells (like Marrowalks with their very high level Bone Prison
> charges), but there are some funny uniques which have charges. For
> instance, there's a unique mace weapon with Meteor charges. These
> apparently synergize quite nicely with the other fire spells.

And I actually made one Archbugger (HC), but she died during a nightmare
Baal run, and took the necessery items to the grave with her, so I still
don't know just how viable build "Glitchmage" really is.

--
Duergar

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
> In article <jxvjgtqisz42$.bejlegfnx5pf$.dlg@40tude.net>,
> Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>

>>>The firewall/frozen orb build.

[...]

>>Oh, and a point in warmth is pretty useful for any sorc build...
>
> Agreed. Another one of those 1-point skills, though I wouldn't call it a
> wonder. But it certainly helps, especially when boosted by enough +skills
> gear.

Yes, indeed. I forgot to list it, becuase that was one of the first
points, and the skill remained unchanged since then :)

--
c.u. Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> But sometimes I think it doesn't work right. Monsters that usually go
> down quickly stay in the fire and remain undamaged. They are not listed
> as fire immune so it's kind of confusing. I'm not sure if it's a aiming
> problem or something else.

The thing is, besides immunities (which are listed under monsters name)
different monsters can have different level of resistances to a specific
attack (which isn't listed under their names). You can find more on
specific monster statistic here:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/

--
Duergar

Static Field can work ok at lvl1 if you have a tank.
(Or really good def/blocking.)
At lvl 9-12 you hit enemies at the edge of your screen (or just
beyond). Tank no longer required as enemies die before they reach you
;-)

Anything more is just showing off <g>

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:18:23 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d4l4hg$e9c$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

[...]

> Where have all your points been put? If you only have 400 Health, but are
> already in Hell, you indeed have a _very_ fragile sorc. I'd aim more
> towards at least 800-900, and even that is possibly on the low side.

As primised here more exact stats (Gained a level yesterday, so she's
now lvl 74). The number in parantheses are what the charcter whindows
displays, I tried to calculate the base numbers by subtracting the
bunuses that I get from equipment.

STR: 45 (66)
DEX: 28 (41)
VIT: 141 (141) -> Life: 404 (474)
ENE: 111 (132) -> Mana: 375 (470)

150 spare points

> Which sorc of yours is this?

She started as charged bolt/FO build, but later I changed to fire
wall/FO, so it's a bit screwed:

Lightning skills:

Charged bolt: 10
Lightning mastery: 1
Static field: 1
Telekinesis: 1
Teleport: 1

Frost skills:

Prerequisites: 6
Frozen orb: 15
Cold mastery: 1

Fire skills:

Warmth: 3
Inferno: 1
Blaze: 1
Fire Wall: 20
Fire Mastery: 9

Spare points: 11

+6/+4 to all skills (depending on weapon switch)

The points spent on charged bolt are wasted IMO. I don't thinkl I'll use
the skills anymore, unless I'll run into a fire+cold immune (actually I
never saw that combination).

Hope #1: The 11 spare points can max out fire mastery, and the firewall
becomes quite powerful then. Currently it does 3800 dam/sec which is not
too bad.

Hope #2: Frozen orb is a great support spell. Reaching level 80 should
be possible, and then FO will be maxed, too. Cold mastery effect is
"lower resists", I'll not have much of that (-45 % it says). But sine I
don't plan this to be the primary attack spell, I assume I can live with it.

>>So I'm pondering about putting one single point into static field.

Done, as you see from the stats above.

>>Static field seems to be a god option to weaken the big baddies before
>>attacking them with my usual offensive spells.
>
> It's often referred to as a 1-point wonder, but that assumes you have
> quite some +skills gear. Looking at your numbers above (+3/+5) it
> looks
> like you don't have that many +skills, and therefore Static Field
> radius,
> as you observed, remains rather low, and probably only of interest
> for the end-of-act bosses.

I've tested the static field idea yesterday evening with nightmare Diablo.

Findings:

1) I can't hotkey teleport and static field to the left and right mouse
buttons as I had hoped. I have to switch, and this needs a little time.

2) It worked. Due to the keybinding problem, I decided to run to Diablo,
static field him and then retreat and toast him with fire walls. Static
field is great, it got him down to 50% in no time. Running away and
casting fire wall until he died wes really easy.

So the point is well spent (considering the many points wasted on
charged bolt), and will most likely help a lot against the boss monsters.

--
c.u. Hajo

Duergar wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>

>>But sometimes I think it doesn't work right. Monsters that usually go
>>down quickly stay in the fire and remain undamaged. They are not listed
>>as fire immune so it's kind of confusing. I'm not sure if it's a aiming
>>problem or something else.
>
> The thing is, besides immunities (which are listed under monsters name)
> different monsters can have different level of resistances to a specific
> attack (which isn't listed under their names). You can find more on
> specific monster statistic here:
>
> http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/

Thanks, I've studied that page, but it's just too much to learn and
remeber all resistances of all monsters :)

Yet I wanted to adress a slightly different fact. Sometimes the same
type of monster dies very quickly from the firewall other times they don't.

There are three types of "Mega demon" listed. They have fire resistances
of 80, 80 and 80 in nightmare. Nevertheless usually a fire wall brings
them down in a second or two. But sometimes they stand in the wall, and
appear completely unaffected. (Surprise: so far I thought they are among
the monstrs that usually burn pretty well, I'm surprised to see that
they have a fire resistance of 80).

Another yet similar problem:

Listor and his pack in nightmare baal runs. My fire trapper always has
slight problems with them, yet she can usually handle them well.

But once, after having killed the nightmare ancients for someone we went
for a baal run afterwards. But this time, Listor was a real disaster. He
didn't spawn as fire or lightning immune, nor did any of his company.
But they were almost impossible to hurt, neither fire traps nor
lightning traps. Even attacking them physically was almost instant death
in that game (in other games I could attack the whole pack without much
risk). We had to flee, separate the pack into singles, beat them down
and died many times in between.

Other times Listor and pack just appear in my trap field, and soon go
down in a sea of flames and corpse explosions ...

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d4nfn2$v6o$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> Where have all your points been put? If you only have 400 Health, but are
>> already in Hell, you indeed have a _very_ fragile sorc. I'd aim more
>> towards at least 800-900, and even that is possibly on the low side.
>
>As primised here more exact stats (Gained a level yesterday, so she's
>now lvl 74).

Congrats! As you probably saw yesteryday, I was online, but had due to
other things, little time to play D2. I did manage do some socketing and
trading. I managed to trade for an ethereal 5 socket Thresher (for 2
Puls), and am also bidding for a 5 socket ethereal Cryptic Axe (offering 2
Puls again, should be accepted soon, I hope). Now all I need are some more
of those pesky low/mid runes to make Obedience with, and decide in which
polearm I'm going to make it first...?

I also acquired an Amn (someone gave me one for free, nice), and made
Spirit in a Monarch. It turned out rather mediocre: 30% FCR (range 25-35),
about 105 mana (range 89-112) and only 3 magic absorb (range 3-8). I then
pumped a lot of Str into my sorc, en equipped her with it.

It seemed to boost her offensive power quite a bit, and she has very nice
resists in Hell, except for Fire Res. Since Spirit doesn't provide that, I
need to get that somewhere else. However, due to Spirit, I could
remove/swap out some other type of resist charms, so I have some extra
space which I can use for that. Or I equip some boots which have
respectable fire resists. I've browsed the Arreat Summit for unique/set
boots, but there are not many boots with interesting mods for sorcs.

>The number in parantheses are what the charcter whindows
>displays, I tried to calculate the base numbers by subtracting the
>bunuses that I get from equipment.
>
>STR: 45 (66)
>DEX: 28 (41)
>VIT: 141 (141) -> Life: 404 (474)
>ENE: 111 (132) -> Mana: 375 (470)

This is a _lot_ of points in Energy which could better have been put
somewhere else. :(

>150 spare points

Vit's your friend! :)

> > Which sorc of yours is this?
>
>She started as charged bolt/FO build, but later I changed to fire
>wall/FO, so it's a bit screwed:

[skills snipped]

>Spare points: 11
>
>+6/+4 to all skills (depending on weapon switch)
>
>The points spent on charged bolt are wasted IMO. I don't thinkl I'll use
>the skills anymore, unless I'll run into a fire+cold immune (actually I
>never saw that combination).

Yeah, those points could much better have been put somewhere else. It's
usually best to stick to a plan, and not switch around half-way. :)

>Hope #1: The 11 spare points can max out fire mastery, and the firewall
>becomes quite powerful then. Currently it does 3800 dam/sec which is not
>too bad.

Sounds good.

>Hope #2: Frozen orb is a great support spell. Reaching level 80 should
>be possible, and then FO will be maxed, too. Cold mastery effect is
>"lower resists", I'll not have much of that (-45 % it says). But sine I
>don't plan this to be the primary attack spell, I assume I can live with it.

It's a nice touch to Cold Mastery, that it works this way. This also means
even monsters with a lot of Cold Resists (but which are not immune to it)
are damaged greatly by the cold spells. Also, keep in mind adding points
in CM does not add anything to the mana requirements of FO itself, but
does increase the damage it does...

Anyhow, as long as FO is useful as a backup/support spell for you, leave
it alone. If you feel it's too weak, put some points in there.

[snip]

>So the point is well spent (considering the many points wasted on
>charged bolt), and will most likely help a lot against the boss monsters.

That's precisely what a lot of people use it for. Or tough/big groups...

Patrick.

Duergar wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

[...]

> That was not a mistake, it was an OMEN. :)
> You were *chosen* to create a _TRI-ELEMENTAL-MAGE_!

>>Lightning skills:

>>Charged bolt: 10
>>Lightning mastery: 1
>>Static field: 1
>>Telekinesis: 1
>>Teleport: 1

>>Frost skills:

>>Prerequisites: 6
>>Frozen orb: 15
>>Cold mastery: 1

>>Fire skills:

>>Warmth: 3
>>Inferno: 1
>>Blaze: 1
>>Fire Wall: 20
>>Fire Mastery: 9

>>Spare points: 11

> I don't know how far you were planning to take this build,

As far as my feet will carry me :)
I'll at least try to get through hell.

> but if I were
> you, I'd max FO, leave Fire Mastery at 10, max Charged Bolt, 1 point into
> Lightning Mastery, and remaining points into Lightning (synergy for CB).

I agree to max FO, yet I like fire wall way too much and will max fire
mastery to get the most possible punch into fire wall. In my former
message I forgot that there is already one point in lightning mastery.

This is damn close to a tri-elemtal sorc, indeed.

> This way you would have a useful FO (348-365 dmg/shard with +6 skills), a
> useful Firewall (4406-4461 dmg/sec), and a decent Charged Bolt (24 bolts,
> 76-83dmg/bolt, with 10pts in Lightning) to play with.
>
> With couple more points, even Lightning could do some damage (10points
> result in 5-1108 dmg). You'll need 90 points for this, which is quite
> achievable if you do all the quests.

The skill giving quests are usually quite doable, even in hell. Anya
also. The hardest is Lam Esens tome in act3 IMO there always is a pack
of corrupted rogues in there with nasty modifiers. Maybe teleport will
help my sorc to get through. My assassin definitely had big troubles there.

> Not the most powerful build, but certainly a unique one.
> _Behold the great "Hajo-mage"!_ ;)

I like to try unusual things, but this time I'd rather call it a mistake
than than plan.

In this case I started to like the character, and don't want to give up
because of a few misplaced skill points.

--
c.u. Hajo

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d4nfn2$v6o$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>>

>>>Where have all your points been put?

[...]

>>As primised here more exact stats (Gained a level yesterday, so she's
>>now lvl 74).
>
> Congrats!

Thanks :)

But actually that was just a matter of a few Baal runs. Formerly I
played with friends in earlier areas of the game, without gaining much
experience.

> As you probably saw yesteryday, I was online, but had due to
> other things, little time to play D2.

A friend asked me for a rush through normal, so was a bit busy, too.

> I did manage do some socketing and
> trading. I managed to trade for an ethereal 5 socket Thresher (for 2
> Puls), and am also bidding for a 5 socket ethereal Cryptic Axe (offering 2
> Puls again, should be accepted soon, I hope). Now all I need are some more
> of those pesky low/mid runes to make Obedience with, and decide in which
> polearm I'm going to make it first...?

I want to have your problems :)

If you can't decide, toss a coin. If it falls on the wrong side, but
noone saw it, you can still go the other way ;)

> I also acquired an Amn (someone gave me one for free, nice), and made
> Spirit in a Monarch. It turned out rather mediocre: 30% FCR (range 25-35),
> about 105 mana (range 89-112) and only 3 magic absorb (range 3-8).

Don't be sad. The shield will be a great help, even with this modifiers.

> I then
> pumped a lot of Str into my sorc, en equipped her with it.
> It seemed to boost her offensive power quite a bit, and she has very nice
> resists in Hell, except for Fire Res. Since Spirit doesn't provide that, I
> need to get that somewhere else. However, due to Spirit, I could
> remove/swap out some other type of resist charms, so I have some extra
> space which I can use for that. Or I equip some boots which have
> respectable fire resists. I've browsed the Arreat Summit for unique/set
> boots, but there are not many boots with interesting mods for sorcs.

Infernostrides can cover fire resistance if want to save inventory space.

Magic/rare boots aslo don't seems to have any modifiers that are
particularly helpful for a sorceress. You could just look for helpful
things in general, high defense, high resists, faster walk, +light
radius. I find the latter interesting, because you can target monsters
farther away and react better if you see a danger earlier.

OTOH there are players who use -light radius items and live well with them.

>>The number in parantheses are what the charcter whindows
>>displays, I tried to calculate the base numbers by subtracting the
>>bonuses that I get from equipment.
>>
>>STR: 45 (66)
>>DEX: 28 (41)
>>VIT: 141 (141) -> Life: 404 (474)
>>ENE: 111 (132) -> Mana: 375 (470)
>
> This is a _lot_ of points in Energy which could better have been put
> somewhere else. :(

Yes, but I always wondered how people can live with less. Now that I
learned about the items that have +X% to mana, I understand the issue
better.

I'd still like more mana. So I'm not seriously worried about the points
that I've spent, but knowing that items can help means that I can stop
increasing energy without any sorrows.

>>150 spare points
>
> Vit's your friend! :)

I'm not sure if I should put 50 of those immediately into vitality?
I think I'll start with 20, and wait for your anwer.

>>The points spent on charged bolt are wasted IMO. I don't thinkl I'll use
>>the skills anymore, unless I'll run into a fire+cold immune (actually I
>>never saw that combination).
>
> Yeah, those points could much better have been put somewhere else. It's
> usually best to stick to a plan, and not switch around half-way. :)

Right. When I noticed the problem with the charged bolt/firewall combo,
I faced the decision to start a third sorceress ot try to go on. I
decided to try it.

I assume I'll end up with a similar result as with my assassin. A
character that plays well and easy in nightmare but is challenging in hell.

>>Hope #1: The 11 spare points can max out fire mastery, and the firewall
>>becomes quite powerful then. Currently it does 3800 dam/sec which is not
>>too bad.
>
> Sounds good.

5200 dmg/sec sounds better and it's doable :)

Yet it means that I have to toast almost all hell bosses for many
seconds. And almost all of them have good fire resistances. Once more
I'll play hide and seek with them. A interesting effect is that firewall
can be cast around corners, by targeting a spot you can see, and the
wall then runs into the are rectangular to the line between you and the
clicked spot. This way fire walls can be cast through doors (piercing
forward through the door into the room) and around the bends in the
maggots lair.

The only problem is that you need some space and time to position
yourself right.

>>Hope #2: Frozen orb is a great support spell. Reaching level 80 should
>>be possible, and then FO will be maxed, too. Cold mastery effect is
>>"lower resists", I'll not have much of that (-45 % it says). But sine I
>>don't plan this to be the primary attack spell, I assume I can live with it.
>
> It's a nice touch to Cold Mastery, that it works this way. This also means
> even monsters with a lot of Cold Resists (but which are not immune to it)
> are damaged greatly by the cold spells. Also, keep in mind adding points
> in CM does not add anything to the mana requirements of FO itself, but
> does increase the damage it does...
>
> Anyhow, as long as FO is useful as a backup/support spell for you, leave
> it alone. If you feel it's too weak, put some points in there.

I want to max it, but I'll not be able to put a lot of points into cold
mastery. The first point in cold mastery means -30% resistance already,
so I have hope that it will suffice.

I can have fire wall, fire mastery and FO maxed at lvl 86 if I made not
mistake in my calculation.

I'm not quite sure if I should try to max fire mastery first, opr put
points into fire mastery and frozen orb alternating, building up both in
parallel.

> [snip]
>
>>So the point is well spent (considering the many points wasted on
>>charged bolt), and will most likely help a lot against the boss monsters.
>
> That's precisely what a lot of people use it for. Or tough/big groups...

I have it on my weapon switch. So I can switch between FO/FW and
FO/Static quickly. I'd prefer FO/FW and teleport/static but neither
teleport nor static can be mapped to the left mouse button.

--
c.u. Hajo

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:08:30 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner
<hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>>>STR: 45 (66)
>>>DEX: 28 (41)
>>>VIT: 141 (141) -> Life: 404 (474)
>>>ENE: 111 (132) -> Mana: 375 (470)
>>
>> This is a _lot_ of points in Energy which could better have been put
>> somewhere else. :(
>
>Yes, but I always wondered how people can live with less. Now that I
>learned about the items that have +X% to mana, I understand the issue
>better.

My daughter has an ice-fire wytch with the points in energy cranked
up, and this character is a blast to play. Fire ice and fireballs at
will and the mana ball never even dips down. She's in Hell difficulty
and having no problems at all.

Conversely, I built two soceresses and did not invest the points into
energy like her, and I'm constantly having to drink blues or purples,
usually right in the heat of battle. Its a pain in the ass.

I'm sure theres a trade off, but, hers is more fun to play, than mine.

In article <d4o9te$mo$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>But actually that was just a matter of a few Baal runs. Formerly I
>played with friends in earlier areas of the game, without gaining much
>experience.

If you're in a hurry, Baal runs, public ones at that, are your friend. I
did a few when I just wanted my IK Barb to get to the level where he could
wear the full set. It worked, but it wasn't much fun, people were much too
selfish, and I must admit I took over that behaviour (not that there's
much more you can do...)

>> As you probably saw yesteryday, I was online, but had due to
>> other things, little time to play D2.
>
>A friend asked me for a rush through normal, so was a bit busy, too.

No problem, retry this evening. :)

>I want to have your problems :)

:) The game was also fun for me when I was in your position... So don't
worry, the game will adapt to your own 'level' of 'advance' in it. :)

>If you can't decide, toss a coin. If it falls on the wrong side, but
>noone saw it, you can still go the other way ;)

*haha* I'll keep that in mind! :)

>> I also acquired an Amn (someone gave me one for free, nice), and made
>> Spirit in a Monarch. It turned out rather mediocre: 30% FCR (range 25-35),
>> about 105 mana (range 89-112) and only 3 magic absorb (range 3-8).
>
>Don't be sad. The shield will be a great help, even with this modifiers.

I know, I know. I also know I'm going to make another 4 socket Monarch,
acquire the runes for spirit again, and make another. The wordt of the two
I have then, I'm probably going to clear with the cube recipe, or try to
trade for more 'ingredients' for another one.

>> need to get that somewhere else. However, due to Spirit, I could
>> remove/swap out some other type of resist charms, so I have some extra
>> space which I can use for that. Or I equip some boots which have
>> respectable fire resists. I've browsed the Arreat Summit for unique/set
>> boots, but there are not many boots with interesting mods for sorcs.
>
>Infernostrides can cover fire resistance if want to save inventory space.

Yes, I saw those. And I have plenty of those (every character I have seems
to find a pair of them, or two, in Act 5 Normal :). For some reason I also
have Aldur's Boots in my head, but I'm not sure why. If these also have a
lot of Fire Resist, I like them probably because of their added life.

Will look more closely this evening...

>Magic/rare boots aslo don't seems to have any modifiers that are
>particularly helpful for a sorceress. You could just look for helpful
>things in general, high defense, high resists, faster walk, +light
>radius. I find the latter interesting, because you can target monsters
>farther away and react better if you see a danger earlier.

Actually, rare boots _can_ be very valuable, so I also pick all of them up
too. They can f.i. spawn with 3 seperate resistances, and if that's
combined with some other nice mods (FRW, life, etc) they can be quite
valuable.

I've also looked at the crafting recipes, but even Crafted Caster boots
don't look too promising...

>OTOH there are players who use -light radius items and live well with them.

+light also indicates to the monsters you're there, so sometimes -light
helps you to stay more 'stealthy'... :)

>> This is a _lot_ of points in Energy which could better have been put
>> somewhere else. :(
>
>Yes, but I always wondered how people can live with less. Now that I
>learned about the items that have +X% to mana, I understand the issue
>better.
>
>I'd still like more mana. So I'm not seriously worried about the points
>that I've spent, but knowing that items can help means that I can stop
>increasing energy without any sorrows.

Most casters, especially certain sorc builds, can use all the mana they
can get. Which why a pure ES build is also quite popular, because there
you _do_ put all points in ENE, because your mana is your life, so to
say...

>>>150 spare points
>>
>> Vit's your friend! :)
>
>I'm not sure if I should put 50 of those immediately into vitality?
>I think I'll start with 20, and wait for your anwer.

I can't really answer that for you. Try to determine for yourself which
item(s) you would really like to equip, in the future. F.i., if you are
planning a Spirit Monarch (the one with the lowest Str req of all 4
socket shields) you should keep enough points to be able to reach 156 Str.
Or start stocking up on +str charms, etc. :)

But I think 20 now, would be no problem at all..

>I assume I'll end up with a similar result as with my assassin. A
>character that plays well and easy in nightmare but is challenging in hell.

Well, next project: a character that goes through hell like a knife
through butter! :)

>Yet it means that I have to toast almost all hell bosses for many
>seconds. And almost all of them have good fire resistances. Once more
>I'll play hide and seek with them. A interesting effect is that firewall
>can be cast around corners, by targeting a spot you can see, and the
>wall then runs into the are rectangular to the line between you and the
>clicked spot. This way fire walls can be cast through doors (piercing
>forward through the door into the room) and around the bends in the
>maggots lair.
>
>The only problem is that you need some space and time to position
>yourself right.

You might want to look into acquiring one of the polearm/spear weapons
which have the mod "Slows enemy by xx%". F.i. Kelpie Snare is very wanted
for that, because when the merc hits something, it's slowed down a lot.
And therefore stays in your firewalls longer...

>> Anyhow, as long as FO is useful as a backup/support spell for you, leave
>> it alone. If you feel it's too weak, put some points in there.
>
>I want to max it, but I'll not be able to put a lot of points into cold
>mastery. The first point in cold mastery means -30% resistance already,
>so I have hope that it will suffice.

I haven't done the math, but it might be worth to do the math and see what
increases the damage more: 1 point in FO or 1 point in CM...

>I can have fire wall, fire mastery and FO maxed at lvl 86 if I made not
>mistake in my calculation.
>
>I'm not quite sure if I should try to max fire mastery first, opr put
>points into fire mastery and frozen orb alternating, building up both in
>parallel.

If mana is a problem, keep in mind adding points to Fire Mastery increases
the damage done, without increasing your mana needs...

Can't help you with the priority setting; maybe it will guide itself due
to your perceived effectiveness of both attacks, and which one needs the
points the most...?

>> That's precisely what a lot of people use it for. Or tough/big groups...
>
>I have it on my weapon switch. So I can switch between FO/FW and
>FO/Static quickly. I'd prefer FO/FW and teleport/static but neither
>teleport nor static can be mapped to the left mouse button.

Nice trick. Unfortunately, I still have the wand with lvl 2 Lower Resist
charges on switch. Static Field is somewhere in the range F1-F8, where I
put my other skills, but I can't remember where it is now. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d4o9te$mo$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>

>>But actually that was just a matter of a few Baal runs. Formerly I
>>played with friends in earlier areas of the game, without gaining much
>>experience.
>
> If you're in a hurry, Baal runs, public ones at that, are your friend.

Sometimes. I think it was the day before yesterday, when I really had
bad luck. You know, I'm bad at the teleport thingy.

In the first Baal run that I joined, I was the highest level sorc, and
so they asked me to teleport. I tried, but as usual I died ... how can I
explain the party that I can't do that well, and they send me on a
suicide mission? I couldn't erecover my body, so my exp was lost.

I tried three more Baal runs, but no luck. People put the portals right
into mobs of monsters, so that the whole party died when going through
the portal. It was really frustrating. In all those runs I couldn't
recover my Body, and lost a lost about half an level of exp :(

Then I did one Baal run alone. Walking, not teleporting, clearing all
the WSK levels. It worked, got an easy variant of Listor and pack. After
that, things turned to the better, and the further baal runs that I
joined were rather successful, I got my lost exp back quickly and made
lvl 74.

> did a few when I just wanted my IK Barb to get to the level where he could
> wear the full set. It worked, but it wasn't much fun, people were much too
> selfish, and I must admit I took over that behaviour (not that there's
> much more you can do...)

Hmm, what do you mean with selfish? I got accustomed to getting no loot
in a public Baal run, but that's just the way it is. I can do my own
boss or Baal runs if I want, or play with friends. Usually the parties
team up well in the throne of Baal, but thats easy becuase each type of
character has a mostly fixed task and position.

>>>As you probably saw yesteryday, I was online, but had due to
>>>other things, little time to play D2.
>>
>>A friend asked me for a rush through normal, so was a bit busy, too.
>
> No problem, retry this evening. :)

And this time we got it right :)

[Decisions on high level stuff that Hajo never saw before]

>>I want to have your problems :)
>
> :) The game was also fun for me when I was in your position... So don't
> worry, the game will adapt to your own 'level' of 'advance' in it. :)

Overall I found that D2 has a great game balance. It scales perfectly
from the start to the very end, it is challenging but also rewarding on
all levels.

I never saw a game before that provided such a good game balance
throughout such a long path of character development.

>>>I also acquired an Amn (someone gave me one for free, nice), and made
>>>Spirit in a Monarch. It turned out rather mediocre: 30% FCR (range 25-35),
>>>about 105 mana (range 89-112) and only 3 magic absorb (range 3-8).
>>
>>Don't be sad. The shield will be a great help, even with this modifiers.
>
> I know, I know. I also know I'm going to make another 4 socket Monarch,
> acquire the runes for spirit again, and make another. The wordt of the two
> I have then, I'm probably going to clear with the cube recipe, or try to
> trade for more 'ingredients' for another one.

The hunt for the perfect gear. Just take care, some day Diablo will be
so easy for your characters, that it gets boring :)

>>Magic/rare boots aslo don't seems to have any modifiers that are
>>particularly helpful for a sorceress. You could just look for helpful
>>things in general, high defense, high resists, faster walk, +light
>>radius. I find the latter interesting, because you can target monsters
>>farther away and react better if you see a danger earlier.
>
> Actually, rare boots _can_ be very valuable, so I also pick all of them up
> too. They can f.i. spawn with 3 seperate resistances, and if that's
> combined with some other nice mods (FRW, life, etc) they can be quite
> valuable.

Yes, somewhere I have two nice pairs of rare boots stored (I gambled
both, long ago, when I was short on good boots. Then all of a sudden I
got some unique and set boots and now I have more boots than characters
to make use of them. But lately boots became rare drops again, but I get
lots of gems ... funny world).

I guess I seriously should check if they are better than what my sorc is
currently wearing.

> I've also looked at the crafting recipes, but even Crafted Caster boots
> don't look too promising...

I never tried crafting items so far. The recipes are expensive, and from
the descriptions, the results didn't really look promising.

I heard that some people are very happy with their crafted items, so I
might be wrong, but I also don't know how often they had to try before
getting something useful.

> +light also indicates to the monsters you're there, so sometimes -light
> helps you to stay more 'stealthy'... :)

Interesting. I didn't know that :)

Yet, at least with my style of playing +light helps. That's why all
otherwise useful -light gear goes to my merc, he doesn't care so much :)

>>>This is a _lot_ of points in Energy which could better have been put
>>>somewhere else. :(
>>
>>Yes, but I always wondered how people can live with less. Now that I
>>learned about the items that have +X% to mana, I understand the issue
>>better.
>>
>>I'd still like more mana. So I'm not seriously worried about the points
>>that I've spent, but knowing that items can help means that I can stop
>>increasing energy without any sorrows.
>
> Most casters, especially certain sorc builds, can use all the mana they
> can get.

Lately it's getting better. Fire Wall is maxed, fire mastery just adds
damage at no additional mana cost. Frozen Orb is a fairly cheap spell.

I still get a little mana bonus each level, so I guess it'll be ok to
leave energy at the current level.

> Which why a pure ES build is also quite popular, because there
> you _do_ put all points in ENE, because your mana is your life, so to
> say...

I see a lot of ES sorceresses lately. Yet I don't feel like trying one.

>>>Vit's your friend! :)
>>
>>I'm not sure if I should put 50 of those immediately into vitality?
>>I think I'll start with 20, and wait for your anwer.
>
> I can't really answer that for you. Try to determine for yourself which
> item(s) you would really like to equip, in the future. F.i., if you are
> planning a Spirit Monarch (the one with the lowest Str req of all 4
> socket shields) you should keep enough points to be able to reach 156 Str.
> Or start stocking up on +str charms, etc. :)

I still try to get along with 60 str. The Spirit Monarch is definitely
too heavy for my plans, although very nice. The +2 skills are thempting,
but I asssume I need the points to boost my health.

I'm not quite sure what gear I'll find, but I don't want to boost str
that much.

> But I think 20 now, would be no problem at all..

I've put 10 in vit yesterday (before we played) and will do another 10
today. In hell I need the health badly.

>>I assume I'll end up with a similar result as with my assassin. A
>>character that plays well and easy in nightmare but is challenging in hell.
>
> Well, next project: a character that goes through hell like a knife
> through butter! :)

I'll need a second account. Sometimes I'd like to rebuild both, my
assassin and my sorceress. And then, I'd like not to. Somehow I like
them as they are. With some flaws and weaknesses. It gives them a
'human', at least an individual touch.

[Aiming firewalls]

>>The only problem is that you need some space and time to position
>>yourself right.

Findings from yesterday test run: The more one wants to 'show off' the
worse the aiming gets. Fire walls definitely force a slower pace on the
game. Aiming a fire wall is kind of precision work.

> You might want to look into acquiring one of the polearm/spear weapons
> which have the mod "Slows enemy by xx%". F.i. Kelpie Snare is very wanted
> for that, because when the merc hits something, it's slowed down a lot.
> And therefore stays in your firewalls longer...

Usually if the merc fights with a monster, they don't move much anymore.
OTOH there are some monsters that run/jump all the time. Using Firewalls
is hopeless case against them, unless I ignite a whole area, and this is
hard with 1.4 seconds casting delay (What does 60% FCR exactly mean?
Will it reduce the casting delay to 1.4s - (1.4s * 0.6) = 0.56s? A
fireall stays for 3.6 seconds. In that case I could have at least 6 of
them constantly burning. I could get 60% FCR without too much troubles.)

My merc currently has a Grim's Burning Dead grim scythe. (Your Hone
Sundan is waiting for the proper runes, and reserved for my assassins
merc).

>>>Anyhow, as long as FO is useful as a backup/support spell for you, leave
>>>it alone. If you feel it's too weak, put some points in there.
>>
>>I want to max it, but I'll not be able to put a lot of points into cold
>>mastery. The first point in cold mastery means -30% resistance already,
>>so I have hope that it will suffice.
>
> I haven't done the math, but it might be worth to do the math and see what
> increases the damage more: 1 point in FO or 1 point in CM...

Math never has been my strong side, but let's try. (Please correct me if
my calculations are wrong!)

Since CM only affects the monster resists and not the damege it's hard
to tell. I'll try a few example calculations:

Boost by one more point in frozen orb (slvl 15 -> 16)

FO at slvl 15 does 196 damage in average
FO at slvl 16 does 208 damage in average
= + 12 damege

Boost by cold mastery - from slvl 5 (-40%) to 6 (-45%)

I don't exactly know what D2 means by "lowers monster resistance by
40%". It could mean

1) res_eff = (res_base * (1-0.4))
2) res_eff = res_base - 40

I'll assume the first case.

In case of a monster with 0% cold resistance
= 0 difference in damage

In case of a monster with 50% cold resistance
= (196 * (0.5 * (1-0.4)) - (196 * (0.5 * (1-0.45))
= 58.8 - 53.9
= + 4.9 damage

In case of a monster with 100% cold resistance
= (196 * (1.0 * (1-0.4)) - (196 * (1.0 * (1-0.45))
= 117.6 - 107.8
= + 9.8 damage

If my calculations are correct, then boosting FO is more effective than
boosting CM, even if monsters have fairly high cold resistences.

If my assumption was wrong, and the second formula is used to calculate
the effects of CM, the situation seems to change, and CM is more
effective. Particularly the damage gain becomes a constant, while in my
calculation it was dependand on the monsters base resistance.

= (196 * 0.45) - (196 * 0.4)
= 196 * 0.05
= + 9.8 damage

*scratched head*

That's still less than the effect of one more point in frozen orb?!

Please, can someone with better math skills and better D2 knowledge help
and check this!

>>I'm not quite sure if I should try to max fire mastery first, opr put
>>points into fire mastery and frozen orb alternating, building up both in
>>parallel.
>
> If mana is a problem, keep in mind adding points to Fire Mastery increases
> the damage done, without increasing your mana needs...
>
> Can't help you with the priority setting; maybe it will guide itself due
> to your perceived effectiveness of both attacks, and which one needs the
> points the most...?

Now that I'm in hell, the priorities became rather clear (12 spare
points right now):

Frozen Orb + 5 -> 20
Fire Mastery + 3 -> 12

This will leave 4 spare points. The magefists already boost the firewall
by one level

>>>That's precisely what a lot of people use it for. Or tough/big groups...
>>
>>I have it on my weapon switch. So I can switch between FO/FW and
>>FO/Static quickly. I'd prefer FO/FW and teleport/static but neither
>>teleport nor static can be mapped to the left mouse button.
>
> Nice trick. Unfortunately, I still have the wand with lvl 2 Lower Resist
> charges on switch. Static Field is somewhere in the range F1-F8, where I
> put my other skills, but I can't remember where it is now. :)

Let me see:

Left mouse button is hardwired to frozen orb, and never changes.
Right mouse button is hotkeyed:

F1 - town portal
F2 - static field
F4 - frozen orb
F5 - fire wall
F8 - teleport

In case of my assassin:

Left mouse button is hardwired to standard attack
F1 - town portal
F2 - fade
F3 - burst of speed
F4 - venom
F5 - wake of fire
F6 - shadow warrior
F7 - death sentry

--
c.u. Hajo

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:49:37 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Since CM only affects the monster resists and not the damege it's hard to
> tell. I'll try a few example calculations:
>
> Boost by one more point in frozen orb (slvl 15 -> 16)
>
> FO at slvl 15 does 196 damage in average FO at slvl 16 does 208 damage in
> average = + 12 damege
>

> Boost by cold mastery - from slvl 5 (-40%) to 6 (-45%)
>
> I don't exactly know what D2 means by "lowers monster resistance by 40%".
> It could mean
>
> 1) res_eff = (res_base * (1-0.4))
> 2) res_eff = res_base - 40
>
> I'll assume the first case.

That is correct!

> In case of a monster with 0% cold resistance = 0 difference in damage

Not entirely correct.
If a monster has 0% cold red and you have -40% cold res then the monsters
will have -40% cold res and you will therefor do extra damage.

> In case of a monster with 50% cold resistance = (196 * (0.5 * (1-0.4)) -
> (196 * (0.5 * (1-0.45)) = 58.8 - 53.9
> = + 4.9 damage

iirc it's something like this.
final damage = cold damage - (cold damage * ((cold res - lower resist)/100)))
final damage = 196 - (196 * ((50 - 45)/100)))
final damage = 196 - (196 * 0.05)
final damage = 186

> In case of a monster with 100% cold resistance = (196 * (1.0 * (1-0.4)) -
> (196 * (1.0 * (1-0.45)) = 117.6 - 107.8
> = + 9.8 damage

And here final damage would be 88
and if the monster has 0% cold res final damage would be 284

> If my calculations are correct, then boosting FO is more effective than
> boosting CM, even if monsters have fairly high cold resistences.

The increase in - cold res wears of with higher levels.
Normally i put 5 hardpoints in CM and lets +skill gear take care of the
rest.
And iirc cm can't break natural cold immunes, and id they are cold immune
due to high cold res. I think only necro's lower res spell and paladins
convcition aura can do that.

> If my assumption was wrong, and the second formula is used to calculate
> the effects of CM, the situation seems to change, and CM is more
> effective. Particularly the damage gain becomes a constant, while in my
> calculation it was dependand on the monsters base resistance.
>
> = (196 * 0.45) - (196 * 0.4)
> = 196 * 0.05
> = + 9.8 damage
>
> *scratched head*

I think that was wrong :)

--
Sonni

In article <pan.2005.04.28.10.19.25.536581@sonni.org>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:49:37 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Since CM only affects the monster resists and not the damege it's hard to
>> tell. I'll try a few example calculations:
>>
>> Boost by one more point in frozen orb (slvl 15 -> 16)
>>
>> FO at slvl 15 does 196 damage in average FO at slvl 16 does 208 damage in
>> average = + 12 damege
>>
>> Boost by cold mastery - from slvl 5 (-40%) to 6 (-45%)
>>
>> I don't exactly know what D2 means by "lowers monster resistance by 40%".
>> It could mean
>>
>> 1) res_eff = (res_base * (1-0.4))
>> 2) res_eff = res_base - 40
>>
>> I'll assume the first case.
>
>That is correct!

Are you sure? I though it was the second. Example:

A monster has standard coldres of 70%
You have -50 coldres due to CM
Monsters cold-res becomes 20% when hit by one of your cold spells.

So, damage done without CM, with a cold spell that does 100 dmg is:

100 - (100 *0.7) = 30.

With CM:

100 - (100*0.2) = 80.

Quite a boost!

Or am I totally wrong?

>> In case of a monster with 0% cold resistance = 0 difference in damage
>
>Not entirely correct.
>If a monster has 0% cold red and you have -40% cold res then the monsters
>will have -40% cold res and you will therefor do extra damage.

Yes. Standard damage, with numbers from above: 100 - (100 * 0.0) = 100.

Damage with -40% cold-res: 100 - (100*-0.4) = 140 dmg.

Wrong? It seems I'm doing my calculation incorrectly/too simple?

Unfortunately, the guide which described the Frozen Orb sorc I'm more or
less using, and which included the math to support it, seems to have gone.
:(

>> If my calculations are correct, then boosting FO is more effective than
>> boosting CM, even if monsters have fairly high cold resistences.
>
>The increase in - cold res wears of with higher levels.
>Normally i put 5 hardpoints in CM and lets +skill gear take care of the
>rest.

I've put about 10 hard point in CM, but it is still a _very_ efficient
killer in Hell, even in the two-player game I played with Hans-joerg
yesterday-evening... Impressive.

>And iirc cm can't break natural cold immunes, and id they are cold immune
>due to high cold res. I think only necro's lower res spell and paladins
>convcition aura can do that.

Yep, which is why I have a wand with lvl2 Lower Resist charges on switch,
and wouldn't mind getting my grubby hands on a nice polearm with the
Infinity runeword in it. :)

>> That's still less than the effect of one more point in frozen orb?!
>>
>> [snip]

[Also snipped a lot of the math... ;)]

Patrick.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:51:08 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.04.28.10.19.25.536581@sonni.org>, Sonni Skammelsen
> <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:49:37 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Since CM only affects the monster resists and not the damege it's hard
>>> to tell. I'll try a few example calculations:
>>>
>>> Boost by one more point in frozen orb (slvl 15 -> 16)
>>>
>>> FO at slvl 15 does 196 damage in average FO at slvl 16 does 208 damage
>>> in average = + 12 damege
>>>
>>> Boost by cold mastery - from slvl 5 (-40%) to 6 (-45%)
>>>
>>> I don't exactly know what D2 means by "lowers monster resistance by
>>> 40%". It could mean
>>>
>>> 1) res_eff = (res_base * (1-0.4))
>>> 2) res_eff = res_base - 40
>>>
>>> I'll assume the first case.
>>
>>That is correct!
>
> Are you sure? I though it was the second. Example:

that's totally depends on how you do calculation.
if you tranfer your res_eff as % nr. 2 is correct, you you use it as a
decimal number nr. 1 is correct and he was using it further on as a
decimal number.

it will give, with a 1005 res monster, either 60 or 0.6 :)

> A monster has standard coldres of 70% You have -50 coldres due to CM
> Monsters cold-res becomes 20% when hit by one of your cold spells.
>
> So, damage done without CM, with a cold spell that does 100 dmg is:
>
> 100 - (100 *0.7) = 30.
>
> With CM:
>
> 100 - (100*0.2) = 80.
>
> Quite a boost!
>
> Or am I totally wrong?

No you are right and yes it's a nice boost, that more or less why CM is
just as important as FM for firespells and LM for lightning spells:)

>>> In case of a monster with 0% cold resistance = 0 difference in damage
>>
>>Not entirely correct.
>>If a monster has 0% cold red and you have -40% cold res then the monsters
>>will have -40% cold res and you will therefor do extra damage.
>
> Yes. Standard damage, with numbers from above: 100 - (100 * 0.0) = 100.
>
> Damage with -40% cold-res: 100 - (100*-0.4) = 140 dmg.
>
> Wrong? It seems I'm doing my calculation incorrectly/too simple?

No that is right, you just choose to use the res_eff directly in the
formula.
And just as you as a player with negative res a monster with negative res
will take more damage then the damage listed.
Thats why a frozen orb with ~ 270 damage still is very effective on
monsters with +5k life.
My late FO/CL sorc did extremely well with her level 29 FO and level 14
CM, which was only around 410 cold damage but with -85% cold res to
monsters.

> Unfortunately, the guide which described the Frozen Orb sorc I'm more or
> less using, and which included the math to support it, seems to have gone.
> :(

You can try look here
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/orbdmg110.php
in german, but still shows a little :)

>>> If my calculations are correct, then boosting FO is more effective than
>>> boosting CM, even if monsters have fairly high cold resistences.
>>
>>The increase in - cold res wears of with higher levels. Normally i put 5
>>hardpoints in CM and lets +skill gear take care of the rest.
>
> I've put about 10 hard point in CM, but it is still a _very_ efficient
> killer in Hell, even in the two-player game I played with Hans-joerg
> yesterday-evening... Impressive.

Yep, as long you stay clear of CI then nothing beats it :)

>>And iirc cm can't break natural cold immunes, and id they are cold immune
>>due to high cold res. I think only necro's lower res spell and paladins
>>convcition aura can do that.
>
> Yep, which is why I have a wand with lvl2 Lower Resist charges on switch,
> and wouldn't mind getting my grubby hands on a nice polearm with the
> Infinity runeword in it. :)

:)
Who wouldn't.

>>> That's still less than the effect of one more point in frozen orb?!
>>>
>>> [snip]
>
> [Also snipped a lot of the math... ;)]

Snipper, but not sniper? :)

--