GX110 - trying to add a CD-ROM drive - getting "Unrecogniz..

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 5, 2005 4:13:03 AM

I bought a used GX110 in the small desktop chasis. It didn't come with a CD
drive so I am trying to cable in a 5.25" drive temporarily just to get XP
loaded. The problem I am having is that I can't get the BIOS to recognize
this drive.

I remember from working on a couple of other GX machines last year that you
had to jumper the drives a certain way to get the BIOS to recognize the
drives. I can't find that info now and I could not find it on dell.com. I
remember something about keeping the main drive jumpered as Cable Select/CS.
That is the way it came to me.

I tried every combo I can think of on the jumpers for the CD drive but I
can't get the BIOS to recognize it. It keeps coming back with "Unknown
Device" in the BIOS.

Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
Keith
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:13:04 AM

"news.columbus.rr.com" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
>I bought a used GX110 in the small desktop chasis. It didn't come with a
>CD drive so I am trying to cable in a 5.25" drive temporarily just to get
>XP loaded. The problem I am having is that I can't get the BIOS to
>recognize this drive.
>
> I remember from working on a couple of other GX machines last year that
> you had to jumper the drives a certain way to get the BIOS to recognize
> the drives. I can't find that info now and I could not find it on
> dell.com. I remember something about keeping the main drive jumpered as
> Cable Select/CS. That is the way it came to me.
>
> I tried every combo I can think of on the jumpers for the CD drive but I
> can't get the BIOS to recognize it. It keeps coming back with "Unknown
> Device" in the BIOS.
>
> Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
> Keith

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/e...

Hmm. Provided there are no bent pins in the drive itself, provided the
data/IDE ribbon cable isn't damaged or bad, and provided the power connect
from the power supply is good, that leaves only the jumpering (which you've
done /CS ) and setting the BIOS to "auto" for the secondary IDE....

Stew
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:53:24 AM

what stew said plus these thoughts...
i am suspicious as to why the cd drive was missing in the first place. i
mean if it did not have a blank panel in the slot perhaps it was removed for
testing and the problem lies in the secondary ide controller on the
motherboard that the cd was once connect to. i suggest replacing the
primary ide cable with one that supports two devices and connecting both the
hard disk and the cd drive to that cables (use cs, and make the hard dish
the primary device by connecting it to the connector at the end of the
cable). this is not an ideal set up from both a performance perspective and
because of the case you have (you will not be able to reassemble the case
with this cabling configuration). but this will allow you to load the os
and help isolate the problem as being related to the secondary controller or
not.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "news.columbus.rr.com" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I bought a used GX110 in the small desktop chasis. It didn't come with a
>>CD drive so I am trying to cable in a 5.25" drive temporarily just to get
>>XP loaded. The problem I am having is that I can't get the BIOS to
>>recognize this drive.
>>
>> I remember from working on a couple of other GX machines last year that
>> you had to jumper the drives a certain way to get the BIOS to recognize
>> the drives. I can't find that info now and I could not find it on
>> dell.com. I remember something about keeping the main drive jumpered as
>> Cable Select/CS. That is the way it came to me.
>>
>> I tried every combo I can think of on the jumpers for the CD drive but I
>> can't get the BIOS to recognize it. It keeps coming back with "Unknown
>> Device" in the BIOS.
>>
>> Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
>> Keith
>>

> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/e...
>
> Hmm. Provided there are no bent pins in the drive itself, provided the
> data/IDE ribbon cable isn't damaged or bad, and provided the power connect
> from the power supply is good, that leaves only the jumpering (which
> you've done /CS ) and setting the BIOS to "auto" for the secondary IDE....
>

> Stew

August 5, 2005 6:00:48 AM

I got it to work. I tried putting the CD on the end of the ribbon on the
secondary IDE with both set to CS and that did the trick.

I forgot about that part about using the end of the ribbon cable. I had it
on the middle connector.

This system never had the CD drive in it. (Faceplate in in place.) I am
setting this up for my young kids to play with, so I will probably just use
an external USB CD drive once I load XP.

Question: Is this a proprietary CD ROM drive? Naturally a 5.25" drive
won't work, but what kind will? I have a spare laptop drive from one of my
ThinkPads, but I don't have the correct IDE cable to fit on drive end. Is
that the kind of drive these machines use?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Keith

> what stew said plus these thoughts...
> i am suspicious as to why the cd drive was missing in the first place. i
> mean if it did not have a blank panel in the slot perhaps it was removed
> for testing and the problem lies in the secondary ide controller on the
> motherboard that the cd was once connect to. i suggest replacing the
> primary ide cable with one that supports two devices and connecting both
> the hard disk and the cd drive to that cables (use cs, and make the hard
> dish the primary device by connecting it to the connector at the end of
> the cable). this is not an ideal set up from both a performance
> perspective and because of the case you have (you will not be able to
> reassemble the case with this cabling configuration). but this will allow
> you to load the os and help isolate the problem as being related to the
> secondary controller or not.
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "news.columbus.rr.com" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
>>>I bought a used GX110 in the small desktop chasis. It didn't come with a
>>>CD drive so I am trying to cable in a 5.25" drive temporarily just to get
>>>XP loaded. The problem I am having is that I can't get the BIOS to
>>>recognize this drive.
>>>
>>> I remember from working on a couple of other GX machines last year that
>>> you had to jumper the drives a certain way to get the BIOS to recognize
>>> the drives. I can't find that info now and I could not find it on
>>> dell.com. I remember something about keeping the main drive jumpered as
>>> Cable Select/CS. That is the way it came to me.
>>>
>>> I tried every combo I can think of on the jumpers for the CD drive but I
>>> can't get the BIOS to recognize it. It keeps coming back with "Unknown
>>> Device" in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
>>> Keith
>>>

>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/e...
>>
>> Hmm. Provided there are no bent pins in the drive itself, provided the
>> data/IDE ribbon cable isn't damaged or bad, and provided the power
>> connect from the power supply is good, that leaves only the jumpering
>> (which you've done /CS ) and setting the BIOS to "auto" for the secondary
>> IDE....
>>

>> Stew

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:11:40 AM

there is nothing proprietary about the cd rom drive. why not just pick up a
cheap drive to put in there. and forgo the external one and related issues
(external power supply, cables, desk space). a combo dvd (player) / cdrw
(recorder) can be had for $30 at newegg.com (toshiba combo dvd/cdrw inbeige
to match the optiples for $25 + $4 shipping part number N82E16827130028).
and this week circuit city has a lite on dvd-r on sale for $40 after rebate
(over kill, but a good value). this way the kids can play their movies on
it too...

>I got it to work. I tried putting the CD on the end of the ribbon on the
>secondary IDE with both set to CS and that did the trick.
>
> I forgot about that part about using the end of the ribbon cable. I had
> it on the middle connector.
>
> This system never had the CD drive in it. (Faceplate in in place.) I am
> setting this up for my young kids to play with, so I will probably just
> use an external USB CD drive once I load XP.
>
> Question: Is this a proprietary CD ROM drive? Naturally a 5.25" drive
> won't work, but what kind will? I have a spare laptop drive from one of
> my ThinkPads, but I don't have the correct IDE cable to fit on drive end.
> Is that the kind of drive these machines use?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
> Keith
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> what stew said plus these thoughts...
>> i am suspicious as to why the cd drive was missing in the first place. i
>> mean if it did not have a blank panel in the slot perhaps it was removed
>> for testing and the problem lies in the secondary ide controller on the
>> motherboard that the cd was once connect to. i suggest replacing the
>> primary ide cable with one that supports two devices and connecting both
>> the hard disk and the cd drive to that cables (use cs, and make the hard
>> dish the primary device by connecting it to the connector at the end of
>> the cable). this is not an ideal set up from both a performance
>> perspective and because of the case you have (you will not be able to
>> reassemble the case with this cabling configuration). but this will
>> allow you to load the os and help isolate the problem as being related to
>> the secondary controller or not.
>>
>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "news.columbus.rr.com" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message

>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/e...
>>>
>>> Hmm. Provided there are no bent pins in the drive itself, provided the
>>> data/IDE ribbon cable isn't damaged or bad, and provided the power
>>> connect from the power supply is good, that leaves only the jumpering
>>> (which you've done /CS ) and setting the BIOS to "auto" for the
>>> secondary IDE....
>>>

>>> Stew

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:08:28 PM

You've already found this out, but I tried getting a second HDD recognised
and could only make it work by putting it on the CDROM channel, contrary to
all the usual advice, where it worked fine.
> there is nothing proprietary about the cd rom drive. why not just pick up
> cheap drive to put in there. and forgo the external one and related
issues
> (external power supply, cables, desk space). a combo dvd (player) / cdrw
> (recorder) can be had for $30 at newegg.com (toshiba combo dvd/cdrw
inbeige
> to match the optiples for $25 + $4 shipping part number N82E16827130028).
> and this week circuit city has a lite on dvd-r on sale for $40 after
rebate
> (over kill, but a good value). this way the kids can play their movies on
> it too...
>
> "news.columbus.rr.com" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
> >I got it to work. I tried putting the CD on the end of the ribbon on the
> >secondary IDE with both set to CS and that did the trick.
> >
> > I forgot about that part about using the end of the ribbon cable. I had
> > it on the middle connector.
> >
> > This system never had the CD drive in it. (Faceplate in in place.) I
am
> > setting this up for my young kids to play with, so I will probably just
> > use an external USB CD drive once I load XP.
> >
> > Question: Is this a proprietary CD ROM drive? Naturally a 5.25" drive
> > won't work, but what kind will? I have a spare laptop drive from one of
> > my ThinkPads, but I don't have the correct IDE cable to fit on drive
end.
> > Is that the kind of drive these machines use?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help!
> > Keith
> >
> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >> what stew said plus these thoughts...
> >> i am suspicious as to why the cd drive was missing in the first place.
> >> mean if it did not have a blank panel in the slot perhaps it was
removed
> >> for testing and the problem lies in the secondary ide controller on the
> >> motherboard that the cd was once connect to. i suggest replacing the
> >> primary ide cable with one that supports two devices and connecting
both
> >> the hard disk and the cd drive to that cables (use cs, and make the
hard
> >> dish the primary device by connecting it to the connector at the end of
> >> the cable). this is not an ideal set up from both a performance
> >> perspective and because of the case you have (you will not be able to
> >> reassemble the case with this cabling configuration). but this will
> >> allow you to load the os and help isolate the problem as being related
> >> the secondary controller or not.
> >>
> >> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/e...

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 6:08:45 AM

It looks like with the small chasis you can't simply install a standard
5.25" drive. This is not the tower system with the standard bays. Rather
it is the small form factor chasis. In the pictures I have seen, it always
looked like these machines with the small form factor chasis used a drive
more like a latptop drive rather than a standard 5.25" drive. I will look
at it more closely in case I am mistaken, but I think that is the case.

I agree with your points. It would be easier and I have several spare
CD/DVD burners I could use - if they will fit.

Thanks, Keith

!