-act 5 problems

Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2005 12:42:32 AM

Using the -act5 trick, I find the quest log doesn't seem to work and
neither do the waypoints. Is this the price I pay for jumping into
the game in this way?
-
Peter James
Remove AT to reply

More about : act problems

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 12:42:33 AM

Peter James wrote:
> Using the -act5 trick, I find the quest log doesn't seem to work and
> neither do the waypoints. Is this the price I pay for jumping into
> the game in this way?
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
The -act5 trick will only start you out in act 5 with all skill points
to be assigned as well as the stat points. No quests or waypoints will
be gained. You will still have to go back to act 1 and do the quests.
This is mainly useful to try different builds. I personally found that
it takes away from the fun of the game.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:59:59 AM

Peter James wrote:
> Using the -act5 trick, I find the quest log doesn't seem to work and
> neither do the waypoints. Is this the price I pay for jumping into
> the game in this way?

Yes.
May 1, 2005 3:10:45 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:42:32 +0100, Peter James <pfjames@clara.co.uk>
wrote:

>Using the -act5 trick, I find the quest log doesn't seem to work and
>neither do the waypoints. Is this the price I pay for jumping into
>the game in this way?

I use the hero editor to bring my characters up to speed, hehe
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:46:18 AM

Hi,

Peter James <pfjames@clara.co.uk> wrote in

> Using the -act5 trick, I find the quest log doesn't seem to work and
> neither do the waypoints. Is this the price I pay for jumping into
> the game in this way?

if you start a TCP/IP game with -act5, a rusher can take your new-born
level 33 char through to nightmare. Just don't touch a waypoint, as that
will put you back to Act1.

I always start my new chars with -act5 and just recently found out that you
can get to nightmare in less than 10 minutes this way.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:15:13 PM

Peter James wrote:
> Using the -act5 trick, I find the quest log doesn't seem to work and
> neither do the waypoints. Is this the price I pay for jumping into
> the game in this way?

WPs don't work. Quests take place but the log is hosed. This all lasts
until you exit act5, either by going forward (to Nightmare) or back.

A fun challenge, despite the act5 cheat, is to finish act5 and move on
to nightmare, with only the gear you acquire along the way.

Doing a documented character build is good this way -- you generally
don't need uber-gear to get through act5, since the build is viable --
you can apply the skill points and attribute points from the build guide
(see the web for various guides) in the correct order.

The toughest quest is the first one, where you're essentially naked and
broke. Depending on the build and the character, this can be easy (sorc)
or hard (barb, pally or melee char).

I've recently done this for an amazon (magic arrow build) with no probs.
If you want to be sure your char will do well in Hell, this is a great
way to do it.

When you're in desperate need of extra attribs and skills, go back and
do acts 1-4 in the normal levels.

'Course, you could outfit your -act5 char with uber-gear from ATMA, too.

--
Help fight spam by "educating" the lax, zombie-hosting ISPs:
http://pages.infinit.net/filmore/educateYourISP.htm

<snip>
I have not used the -act5 "trick" in a long time. I have forgotten how
to put it in. should it look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"-act5 ?
Also does it work with the chaos empire mod?

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:15:29 AM

Yes it works with CE. But i wouldnt reccommend doing it. It takes away
all the fun. CE played the right way is sooo entertaining. If you do
the -act5 thing here, it will take you to clvl 96. Like my sorc..the
one i havent played after that one time when she started out. No fun
killing everything just by glaring at them. LOL.
!