I'm Coming to Nextel

TripleThreat

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

Well, I just ported my number over to Nextel from Verizon. Even paying the
Verizon ETF of $175. Just orderred the I-830. It looks like if I planned
this right, I can save money in the long run because my Verizon Bill is
really high at times. Verizon is a good carrier, but most of my family I
talk to use either Cingular, whom I hate or Nextel. Can anyone provide
feedback on Nextel in the DC area? Thanks

kc

Biggest mistake you made. Just kidding. In NYC area, Verizon is much better.

"TripleThreat" <reply_via@usenet.com.tw> wrote in message

> Well, I just ported my number over to Nextel from Verizon. Even paying
> the Verizon ETF of $175. Just orderred the I-830. It looks like if I
> planned this right, I can save money in the long run because my Verizon
> Bill is really high at times. Verizon is a good carrier, but most of my
> family I talk to use either Cingular, whom I hate or Nextel. Can anyone
> provide feedback on Nextel in the DC area? Thanks

I'm in the DC area, they seem pretty good here.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:35:51 -0400, "John" <NJJohn@Spamex.com> wrote:

>You will be required to pay full(over inflated price) for
>a new phone unless you agree to sign on for an additional contract from that
>point on. (Most will probable say it is in the fine print somewhere).

Maybe because it is?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:35:51 -0400, "John" <NJJohn@Spamex.com> wrote:
>
>> You will be required to pay full(over inflated price) for
>> a new phone unless you agree to sign on for an additional contract
>> from that point on. (Most will probable say it is in the fine print
>> somewhere).
>
> Maybe because it is?

Are you SURE it is? Would you care to point out exactly where it is? Maybe
is right and maybe it is not in the contract anywhere. Do you think if
enough people show that they are unhappy things might change or is that
concept something that escapes you?

Plans are usally more expensive with Nextel. They usually have a good
network in most areas. I would take them on a 15 day trial before you
port to see that where you go there aren't any weak spots or holes
where you need coverage.

--
agentHibby

Have you stopped to think how much a cell phone actually costs? Nextel is a
provider, not a manufacturer; they purchase the equipment from Motorola, who
has them by the short-hairs because they own the Iden platform and no one
else (except RIM) can make equipment for that platform. Nextel sells you
the replacement phone at their cost unless your sign a contract because they
use business sense. Why lose money on a customer who may not be there in
3 - 6 months, the time it takes to recoup the loss they have taken on the
phone?

Zman53@ameritech.net wrote:
> Have you stopped to think how much a cell phone actually costs?
> Nextel is a provider, not a manufacturer; they purchase the equipment
> from Motorola, who has them by the short-hairs because they own the
> Iden platform and no one else (except RIM) can make equipment for
> that platform. Nextel sells you the replacement phone at their cost
> unless your sign a contract because they use business sense. Why
> lose money on a customer who may not be there in 3 - 6 months, the
> time it takes to recoup the loss they have taken on the phone?

Nextel sells at cost? Who do you think you are trying to convince? Maybe
some of the fools you hang around with but not to many here I bet. I am
already a good customer that forks over well over $150.00 per month and they
will do me a big favor and let me buy a new phone for $500.00. Geee I feel
real sorry for those nice people at NEXTEL being forced to charge such an
outrageous price.

> Nextel sells at cost? Who do you think you are trying to convince? Maybe
> some of the fools you hang around with but not to many here I bet. I am
> already a good customer that forks over well over $150.00 per month and
they
> will do me a big favor and let me buy a new phone for $500.00. Geee I feel
> real sorry for those nice people at NEXTEL being forced to charge such an
> outrageous price.

Well, unless you can contradict the facts, Nextel 1st Quarter earnings (as
filed with the SEC) show equipment COSTS of $532M and equipment REVENUES
(not profits) of $352M. Not a secret number, and in line with every other
cellular provider. Now, if you want to accuse them of padding the books, I
would caution you by saying that in the current business, political and
social environment, numbers like these would have been exposed as frauds
long ago by a press and public keen on hanging the cellular companies out to
dry. They are a matter of public record- cellular companies pay much more
for thephones than they sell them for. You don't have to like it, but
unless you can provide proof (not opinion) to the contrary, these are the
only facts on the table.

SS Wrote:

> Well, unless you can contradict the facts, Nextel 1st Quarter earnings
> (as
> filed with the SEC) show equipment COSTS of $532M and equipment
> REVENUES
> (not profits) of $352M. Not a secret number, and in line with every
> other
> cellular provider. Now, if you want to accuse them of padding the
> books, I
> would caution you by saying that in the current business, political
> and
> social environment, numbers like these would have been exposed as
> frauds
> long ago by a press and public keen on hanging the cellular companies
> out to
> dry. They are a matter of public record- cellular companies pay much
> more
> for thephones than they sell them for. You don't have to like it, but
> unless you can provide proof (not opinion) to the contrary, these are
> the
> only facts on the table.

GOOD POST

--
1badss

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

SS wrote:
> "John" <NJJohn@Spamex.com> wrote in message
>

>> Nextel sells at cost? Who do you think you are trying to convince?
>> Maybe some of the fools you hang around with but not to many here I
>> bet. I am already a good customer that forks over well over $150.00
>> per month and they will do me a big favor and let me buy a new phone
>> for $500.00. Geee I feel real sorry for those nice people at NEXTEL
>> being forced to charge such an outrageous price.
>>

> Well, unless you can contradict the facts, Nextel 1st Quarter
> earnings (as filed with the SEC) show equipment COSTS of $532M and
> equipment REVENUES (not profits) of $352M. Not a secret number, and
> in line with every other cellular provider. Now, if you want to
> accuse them of padding the books, I would caution you by saying that
> in the current business, political and social environment, numbers
> like these would have been exposed as frauds long ago by a press and
> public keen on hanging the cellular companies out to dry. They are a
> matter of public record- cellular companies pay much more for
> thephones than they sell them for. You don't have to like it, but
> unless you can provide proof (not opinion) to the contrary, these are
> the only facts on the table.

Maybe you could provide something to back up what you say. Talk IS cheap no
matter how many of the ignorant like your post.Like a link maybe? If Nextel
pays more than the $500 they are asking me for then maybe they should make a
better deal. I seriously doubt Nextel is losing anything and am well aware
how big business cooks figures to say what ever they like.

that fact remains, Nextel as well as other companies make their money
off of monthly service not phones. the problem is not with nextel but
the prices motorola is charging them for the phones and we pay for it.
Don't get me wrong I think motorola makes the best phones but with no
compitition they can charge nextel higher prices which in turn means we
pay higher prices.

--
1badss

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

1badss wrote:
> SS Wrote:
>>

>> Well, unless you can contradict the facts, Nextel 1st Quarter
>> earnings (as
>> filed with the SEC) show equipment COSTS of $532M and equipment
>> REVENUES
>> (not profits) of $352M. Not a secret number, and in line with every
>> other
>> cellular provider. Now, if you want to accuse them of padding the
>> books, I
>> would caution you by saying that in the current business, political
>> and
>> social environment, numbers like these would have been exposed as
>> frauds
>> long ago by a press and public keen on hanging the cellular companies
>> out to
>> dry. They are a matter of public record- cellular companies pay much
>> more
>> for thephones than they sell them for. You don't have to like it,
>> but unless you can provide proof (not opinion) to the contrary,
>> these are the
>> only facts on the table.
>
> GOOD POST

Want to buy some swamp land?

"1badss" <1badss.1p974z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> that fact remains, Nextel as well as other companies make their money
> off of monthly service not phones. the problem is not with nextel but
> the prices motorola is charging them for the phones and we pay for it.
> Don't get me wrong I think motorola makes the best phones but with no
> compitition they can charge nextel higher prices which in turn means we
> pay higher prices.

That might be the case with Nextel, but I think the real probelm is that
most people don't understand the level of technology they carry on their
belt and how much it costs to cram all of that into a package smaller than a
deck of cards. Think about this- you can get a fully loaded desktop
computer for $400-$500, but to get a fully loaded laptop costs three times
that. With cell phones, most people assume that it is too small to cost
more than a few dollars to make, and yet minaturized technology costs top
dollar to develop, manufacture and market.

The lack of competition will ultimately change down the road with the
merger, but that only explains Nextel prices. All of the other carriers are
feeling the same pain, and they do have multiple vendors vying for business.
At the end of the day, it costs them all a lot to make these phones.

> 1badss wrote:
> > SS Wrote:
> >>

> >> Well, unless you can contradict the facts, Nextel 1st Quarter
> >> earnings (as
> >> filed with the SEC) show equipment COSTS of $532M and equipment
> >> REVENUES
> >> (not profits) of $352M. Not a secret number, and in line with every
> >> other
> >> cellular provider. Now, if you want to accuse them of padding the
> >> books, I
> >> would caution you by saying that in the current business, political
> >> and
> >> social environment, numbers like these would have been exposed as
> >> frauds
> >> long ago by a press and public keen on hanging the cellular companies
> >> out to
> >> dry. They are a matter of public record- cellular companies pay much
> >> more
> >> for thephones than they sell them for. You don't have to like it,
> >> but unless you can provide proof (not opinion) to the contrary,
> >> these are the
> >> only facts on the table.
> >
> > GOOD POST
>
> Want to buy some swamp land?

Only if I can pave it over and build a Wal*Mart...

Just remember that all cell companies have problems. Nextel has many.
But I feel that with the free incoming plan you can save lots of money.
Your first bill will be high because they charge you one month in
advance. So be ready to pay high. Don't forget to get the the insurance
that allows you to walk in and get your phone repaired at no extra
charge. It will cost you only 3.00 per month extra. It is called NSP
coverage. There is also a signal insurance that cost about 5.00 per
month. This covers lost or stolen phones.

Average out how many phone calls you make and how many you receive and
that way you will know how many mins to get on your plan. The free
incoming 500 is a great on if you know how to use it. get people to
call you back so that you can talk as long as you want or need to.

The reason that cell phones drop out is that the towers can only hold
so many calls. And when you leave on tower and go to another it will
drop you if the tower is full. Unlike other cell companies Nextel
towers will talk to each other to see if the nearest one can pick you
up.

I have been with nextel for 5 years and have seen them improve over the
years. They still have a lot of growing to do but I hope that with the
merger between them and Sprint that they will change a few things for
the better. They need to do 7 pm nights. They need to be the first cell
complany to allow you to check your voice mail free of charge from your
cell. They need roll over mins and nextel to nextel mobile. But that is
only my wish.

Hope that I was a help on your decision.

J D Washington

TripleThreat Wrote:

> Well, I just ported my number over to Nextel from Verizon. Even paying
> the
> Verizon ETF of $175. Just orderred the I-830. It looks like if I
> planned
> this right, I can save money in the long run because my Verizon Bill
> is
> really high at times. Verizon is a good carrier, but most of my family
> talk to use either Cingular, whom I hate or Nextel. Can anyone
> provide
> feedback on Nextel in the DC area? Thanks

--
rdmstudio

"Jimmy" <JimmyClifff@xemaps.com> wrote in message

> I had troubles with the i730 I first received and learned these were
> problematic to begin with and needed the fix. I was unable to apply this
as
> my user is out of state and would remain so from that point on.

So, you were told that they were aware of the problem and had a solution,
but you chose to refuse the assistance?

> I requested
> a new phone be shipped and was refused with no option to apply working
> hardware to my user.

You had a very simple option- have the user get the fix.

>A minor child with no knowledge to help herself she
> was left in the lurch with faulty equipment.

Again, a trip to a service center was all that was required for this one.

>I have also heard of other
> rushed out models that may have had problems. I know some would say this
is
> not the fault of Nextel but one of the phone manufacturer Motorola but I
see
> this as passing the buck onto the end user and a complete lack of
> responsibility.

Lack of responsibility? They publicly acknowledged the problem with the
phone and offered a free fix. The lack of responsibility was not taking
them up on their solution.

>I have moved on to the i860 with no reduced cost for my
> trouble and somehow feel Nextel could have been a bit more compassionate.

They treated you the same as all other users of the phone- why should you
get preferential treatment because you didn't even attempt to get the fix
for the phone? Your expectation of compensation for your "trouble" would be
a lot easier to understand if you had taken the steps to get the phone fixed
and it failed. You didn't need to personally have this done- your "user"
could have initiated it.

> WHAT WAS I THINKING?

That's what I want to know.

> In the first place if you don't work for Nextel then you re a total TROLL
> and don't have any creditability what-so-ever.

Then what would that make you? Totally clueless? I work with the
technology and back end systems on a daily basis, while you only know how to
turn it on and make a call. Currently, I have the quarterly financials for
13 different telecoms on my desk, both at work and home. You're waiting for
the Sunday paper to arrive so that you can get another look at your
Superhero, Dilbert. I posted facts, you posted attacks. The only one with
a credibility issue is you.

> I would never compare a cell phone with an car but I would compare it to
> any other electronic device and you have totally missed the point once
> again. Surprise surprise.

Funny that you failed to respond to the fact that this has happened with
other phones and other carriers, with most of the issues being resolved by a
fix similar to the one under discussion here. And you wanted to talk about
credibility.

> You have finally lost it and gone over the top with that last paragraph
> full of babble. I let you go now and be sure to take some more of those
pink
> pills and get plenty of rest before you return to that funny farm your
were
> raised on.

Funny- you seem to be disguising yourself as well. Pot- kettle- black.