How much inventory space do you use for charms?

Hi,

it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other players?

Also, while going through the charms, I see that some must've been there
for ages. Is a +10 life large charm sensible if the caharacter already
has 600 life, or should I remove it to get more inventory space? Is a
+3% cold resist small charm sensible on a lvl 79 character that doesn't
have maxed resitences in hell?

I don't know where to make the cut. All the modifiers are helpful, more
or less. I tried to seriously sort out the useless, but with only 3x4
squares left, boss runs to collect items don't make a lot of sense. Also
my stash tends to be filled with stuff so I can even temporarily put the
charms in the stash before I go item hunting ...

Any advices for a packrat like me to solve the problem?

I'd like to expand my question: what things do you really keep? Amulets,
rings, jewels, gems, runes, armor, weapons ... I see some players don't
even bother to pick up jewels?

I lost a lot of runes during an muling attempt yesterday, but this
solves the problem only temporarily :)

--
c.u. Hajo

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
> filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other
players?

> Also, while going through the charms, I see that some must've been there
> for ages. Is a +10 life large charm sensible if the caharacter already
> has 600 life, or should I remove it to get more inventory space? Is a
> +3% cold resist small charm sensible on a lvl 79 character that doesn't
> have maxed resitences in hell?
>
> I don't know where to make the cut. All the modifiers are helpful, more
> or less. I tried to seriously sort out the useless, but with only 3x4
> squares left, boss runs to collect items don't make a lot of sense. Also
> my stash tends to be filled with stuff so I can even temporarily put the
> charms in the stash before I go item hunting ...
>
> Any advices for a packrat like me to solve the problem?
>
> I'd like to expand my question: what things do you really keep? Amulets,
> rings, jewels, gems, runes, armor, weapons ... I see some players don't
> even bother to pick up jewels?
>
> I lost a lot of runes during an muling attempt yesterday, but this
> solves the problem only temporarily :)
>
> --
> c.u. Hajo
I fill my whole invintory up completly apart from my cube and 1 tomb of tps
and one ids. i then keep my cube empty to put things in there to id or keep.
then move from there to my stash when i can be bothered

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
> filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other
> players?
>
> Also, while going through the charms, I see that some must've been there
> for ages. Is a +10 life large charm sensible if the caharacter already has
> 600 life, or should I remove it to get more inventory space? Is a +3% cold
> resist small charm sensible on a lvl 79 character that doesn't have maxed
> resitences in hell?
>
> I don't know where to make the cut. All the modifiers are helpful, more or
> less. I tried to seriously sort out the useless, but with only 3x4 squares
> left, boss runs to collect items don't make a lot of sense. Also my stash
> tends to be filled with stuff so I can even temporarily put the charms in
> the stash before I go item hunting ...
>
> Any advices for a packrat like me to solve the problem?
>
> I'd like to expand my question: what things do you really keep? Amulets,
> rings, jewels, gems, runes, armor, weapons ... I see some players don't
> even bother to pick up jewels?

Let's see depends on char I have 10 going right now. I try to get their
resists maxed and mule away any decent charms to make more room on someone
else. The least amount of space I ever leave is 2x4 and I keep my cube on me
so if more than one thing drops that I want I can shove it in the cube. The
large +10 charm I would try rerolling. Any small charms with less than say
5% resists on it I sell em or reroll them. I don't make mules. With so many
chars I just tend to put whatever class specific item belongs one the char.
If I can't use it and my friend can't then it becomes a trader or a freebee
for someone else. So most all my stashes have plenty of space in them for
stuff to grow into. I have one char which started life as a mule. He holds
half the gems and is my 40 gems for whatever trader. I have another char who
holds the other gems and runes. He's my mf guy and can't get through hell so
I guess technically I have at least one mule LOL I keep jewels for crafting
now and then but if I can't use it and it's too good to craft with I will
trade it. Sounds like you could make an all for whatever game and just
unload on someone else LOL make it their prob 8D

What you might try which can get to be a pain but ends up being entirely
space conserving is dump all your charms in one game off all your chars and
then weed through them to max the resists for each one. (ask me I know LOL)
Anyway after much shuffling turns out I needed like 2 big ones and about 4
small ones for my current project. Not bad plenty of room for boss running
and item finding. Eventually you will run out of charms or chars that need
resists. Whatever is left is for rerolls or you need better gear 8D (don't
we all!)

--
In a World Full of Insanity
Here I Stand.

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
> filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other
players?

Mine are usually full, except one 2*4 field. horadric cube is in stash.

> Also, while going through the charms, I see that some must've been there
> for ages. Is a +10 life large charm sensible if the caharacter already
> has 600 life, or should I remove it to get more inventory space?

that +10 life large charm at 600 life i would drop, regardless of
richness/poorness. i'd keep life charms with at least +10 per field. of
course at the beginning of a new char i keep all of them.

> Is a +3% cold resist small charm sensible on a lvl 79 character that
doesn't
> have maxed resitences in hell?

as long as you dont find any better, yes.

> I don't know where to make the cut. All the modifiers are helpful, more
> or less. I tried to seriously sort out the useless, but with only 3x4
> squares left, boss runs to collect items don't make a lot of sense. Also
> my stash tends to be filled with stuff so I can even temporarily put the
> charms in the stash before I go item hunting ...

hm, i dont do much boss runs anymore, maybe that's why im having no problem
:D
and if i did, i wouldnt find anything :D

> Any advices for a packrat like me to solve the problem?

i decided to stop creating mules. actually, i'm in the process of deleting
mules.
go through them and throw away everything which is there for longer than 2
months, except the REAL precious items :D
it's crazy, i noticed one mule with 8 tal masks on it lately, and still i
keep to pick them up. well, tals mask is one of my favouites merc helmet.
but since you can buy each of those items for 1-2 pgems, why keep them
yourself ? let others do the muling ;)
unless you only have zod runes and botd on your mules of course.

> I'd like to expand my question: what things do you really keep? Amulets,
> rings, jewels, gems, runes, armor, weapons ... I see some players don't
> even bother to pick up jewels?

still picking up blue amuletts, and mostly keeping 3+ skill tree. or 2+skill
+stuff.
socketing stuff, full elite sets and one sigon.
uniques like arreats, titans, bartucs i keep some, who knows...
2 mules for runes, 2 mules for pgems. that should be it.

> I lost a lot of runes during an muling attempt yesterday, but this
> solves the problem only temporarily :)

hehe :D
Stefan

Stefan Roth wrote::

> "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
>>filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other
>>players?
>
> Mine are usually full, except one 2*4 field. horadric cube is in stash.

What do you do if you find more than a few good items during a game?

(E.g. things that are handy to other chars of you, but can't be muled
away in this game, becuase it is publie or the mule can't enter the
difficulty level).

>>Also, while going through the charms, I see that some must've been there
>>for ages. Is a +10 life large charm sensible if the caharacter already
>>has 600 life, or should I remove it to get more inventory space?
>
> that +10 life large charm at 600 life i would drop, regardless of
> richness/poorness. i'd keep life charms with at least +10 per field. of
> course at the beginning of a new char i keep all of them.

I've now handed those charms to my lower level characters. There they
add a noticeable amount of life, at 600 life total the difference wasn't
really noticieable.

>>Is a +3% cold resist small charm sensible on a lvl 79 character that
>>doesn't have maxed resitences in hell?
>
> as long as you dont find any better, yes.

Ok, so I keep it. I'm pretty new in hell (only two characters there) and
still trying to get used to it.

>>I don't know where to make the cut. All the modifiers are helpful, more
>>or less. I tried to seriously sort out the useless, but with only 3x4
>>squares left, boss runs to collect items don't make a lot of sense. Also
>>my stash tends to be filled with stuff so I can even temporarily put the
>>charms in the stash before I go item hunting ...
>
> hm, i dont do much boss runs anymore, maybe that's why im having no problem
> :D
> and if i did, i wouldnt find anything :D

I'm a fairly new player, so I don't have a lot of items yet. Almost all
good things are gifts from friends and helpful players.

Currently I'm trying to get my own stuff, and boss runs seems to be a
proper approach (I don't run the big bosses in hell, just some of the
minor uniques with fixed locations, like shenk, eldritch, bone ash, fire
eye, corpsefire, rakanishu and whoever crosses my path to them, also
visiting the the pit in act 1. Results are mixed, but it's a easy tour,
so I do it fairly often ).

>>Any advices for a packrat like me to solve the problem?
>
> i decided to stop creating mules. actually, i'm in the process of deleting
> mules.

How many mules would you recommend? I'm currently having three, two
tightly packed mixed purpose mules, and a new one for gems and runes
which slowly pile up.

> go through them and throw away everything which is there for longer than 2
> months, except the REAL precious items :D

Hehe :)
I'm just playing online for two months, so this threshold won't kick in
so soon.

> it's crazy, i noticed one mule with 8 tal masks on it lately, and still i
> keep to pick them up.

Don't tell they drop so often. Although I got one, too.

> well, tals mask is one of my favouites merc helmet.

I gave it to my merc, too. (I hate the looks of tals set, so my sorceres
will get other equipment).

> but since you can buy each of those items for 1-2 pgems, why keep them
> yourself ? let others do the muling ;)

The only items that I have multiple times are those actually in use by
my characters. I store only one of each type, if I store them.

> unless you only have zod runes and botd on your mules of course.

Maybe in a few years ;)

My highets self found rune so far is a Dol, and the only runeword that I
made is ancients pledge, more or less just to try it once.

>>I'd like to expand my question: what things do you really keep? Amulets,
>>rings, jewels, gems, runes, armor, weapons ... I see some players don't
>>even bother to pick up jewels?
>
> still picking up blue amuletts, and mostly keeping 3+ skill tree. or 2+skill
> +stuff.
> socketing stuff, full elite sets and one sigon.
> uniques like arreats, titans, bartucs i keep some, who knows...

I almost think you play a different game. But ... I found two +3 skills
amulets, but for characters I don't play, and one +2 skills for a
bowazon that is almost retired. Titans, indeed dropped once.

All of those I consider extremely lucky finds so far, and don't expect
to get them regularly.

> 2 mules for runes, 2 mules for pgems. that should be it.

Hmmm, that's more than I have so far ;)

>>I lost a lot of runes during an muling attempt yesterday, but this
>>solves the problem only temporarily :)
>
> hehe :D

No high runes lost, so not really troublesome. But I also lost a +1
paladin skills amulet, which bugs me a bit. I don't find +skills too
often, so I consider them valuable.

That's been the second time in 8 weeks that I lost items due to a game
crash. Not that that'd be frequently but it gives me some fear that it
could happen when I try to mule some of the really valuable stuff ...
probably I'll only do that if friends hold the things while I change chars.

--
c.u. Hajo

> What do you do if you find more than a few good items during a game?
>
> (E.g. things that are handy to other chars of you, but can't be muled
> away in this game, becuase it is publie or the mule can't enter the
> difficulty level).

i dont play public in hell, only sometimes in nm.
mostly i mule away my stash before/after a session.
so if i find more than one item, i take one item, go back to town and put
into stash, go back.

> How many mules would you recommend? I'm currently having three, two
> tightly packed mixed purpose mules, and a new one for gems and runes
> which slowly pile up.

ohoh :D
i started this season, with (IMO) a bigger approach, currently using 2
playing accounts and 5 mule accounts.
at the beginning i muled everything away, sorting items from the beginning
on.
for the next season i will restrict myself to one playing and two muling
accounts.

> I almost think you play a different game. But ... I found two +3 skills
> amulets, but for characters I don't play, and one +2 skills for a
> bowazon that is almost retired. Titans, indeed dropped once.

well, of course stuff will only drop when you least expect it ;)
i played a new char this weekend, and when i killed nihlatak in normal, he
dropped titans :D
didnt even know he can drop those.
and furthermore, i was playing an amazon, which actually could use it !
(bowzon though)

> That's been the second time in 8 weeks that I lost items due to a game
> crash. Not that that'd be frequently but it gives me some fear that it
> could happen when I try to mule some of the really valuable stuff ...
> probably I'll only do that if friends hold the things while I change
chars.

happened to me too twice this season, not nice.
Stefan

On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:26:00 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
> filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other
> players?

I have tomb of tp and tomb of identify and 4x2 ot 3x2 slots open rest is
stuffed with charms and mu cube is in the stash.

> Also, while going through the charms, I see that some must've been there
> for ages. Is a +10 life large charm sensible if the caharacter already has
> 600 life, or should I remove it to get more inventory space? Is a +3% cold
> resist small charm sensible on a lvl 79 character that doesn't have maxed
> resitences in hell?

I change charms when i'm ready to use better if i have better, if not then
i keep. If i go through my char i know i can find level 89 or higher with
3% single res charms on them.

> I don't know where to make the cut. All the modifiers are helpful, more or
> less. I tried to seriously sort out the useless, but with only 3x4 squares
> left, boss runs to collect items don't make a lot of sense. Also my stash
> tends to be filled with stuff so I can even temporarily put the charms in
> the stash before I go item hunting ...
>
> Any advices for a packrat like me to solve the problem?

TP back to town and put in stash or sell.

> I'd like to expand my question: what things do you really keep? Amulets,
> rings, jewels, gems, runes, armor, weapons ... I see some players don't
> even bother to pick up jewels?

After reaching 8 mule accounts i started to sell or throw stuff away.
I hardly even pick up and identify normal and exceptional items anymore.
amu, rings, jewels i pick up and identify, if the have stats i currently
need on a char i keep them else throw away or sell.
all types og gems and runes i pick up and cube for better, pgems are used
for never ending reroll of charms and diadems.
Have you ever seen a 40% extra damage/15% increased attack speed jewel,
iirc it's one of the most valuable item in the entire game.

> I lost a lot of runes during an muling attempt yesterday, but this solves
> the problem only temporarily :)

Back luck, maybe you were on the same server is me when i did almost the
same, but i only lost a couple mid level runes, +40 pgems and a couple of
perfect manald heal rings.

--
Sonni

Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

> On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:26:00 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

>>I lost a lot of runes during an muling attempt yesterday, but this solves
>>the problem only temporarily :)
>
> Back luck, maybe you were on the same server is me when i did almost the
> same, but i only lost a couple mid level runes, +40 pgems and a couple of
> perfect manald heal rings.

We're playing both on the european realm IIRC, so it's quite possible
that we suffered from the same problem.

Yet, compared to yours, my loss is really rather minor.

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d557d3$4cs$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Stefan Roth wrote::

[big snips, only commenting on thing not commented on by other players]

>What do you do if you find more than a few good items during a game?
>
>(E.g. things that are handy to other chars of you, but can't be muled
>away in this game, becuase it is publie or the mule can't enter the
>difficulty level).

Well, there are two approaches, and I use them both:

Either start the MF-run with a more or less empty stash, so that you have
plenty space for the goodies you might find. Abort the run when the stash
is full.

Also, in case things are _really_ going very good, create/rush some mules
which can enter NM/Hell games. F.i. my gem-mule has been rushed to Hell,
so if the stash overflows, I can temporarily park some stuff on that mule.

>How many mules would you recommend? I'm currently having three, two
>tightly packed mixed purpose mules, and a new one for gems and runes
>which slowly pile up.

At the very least, split up the gem and rune mules. You can count it out
yourself, but if you put all gems flawed and up in the inventory of a
mule, it just about fits.

The same goes for runes: I put all runes up to Thul in the inventory, Amn+
goes into the stash. Whenever I have 3 runes El-Thul, I cube them up the
next-highest (except Rals, those I mule off).

Hope this gives you an idea.

[snip]

>could happen when I try to mule some of the really valuable stuff ...
>probably I'll only do that if friends hold the things while I change chars.

No problem, just ask. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

You should try the chaos empire mod. It has a much larger "backpack"
and almost limitless stash, with 999 pages. Alos a "shared" stash,
which can be accessed from all characters on your computer.

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
> filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other
> players?

Heh, not compared to mine. By the time mine get halfway through A5 Hell,
their inventory is generally completely filled with charms, less the cube
and *maybe* a key slot.

--
chainbreaker

I try to keep 3 columns open, the same as what will fit in the cube. That
way I have room to pick up that first and maybe second item before opening
the inventory screen and putting it/them in the cube to leave room to pick
up that next green/gold item. Only when I am totally out of room will I
waypoint I usually take the 'free' trip to town if I have anything at all
'new' in my inventory.
This is one of the biggest decision making problems I have with this game
too!
Do I keep that fire resist charm or do I keep a magic find charm or do I
keep that plus to life/mana charm or do I keep.....
I definitely keep ALL resist all charms and plus to skill tree charms
if/when I find them. I have not run into having too many of those yet,
still hoping, hehe.
--
Don't Panic!

sidekick wrote::

> You should try the chaos empire mod. It has a much larger "backpack"
> and almost limitless stash, with 999 pages. Alos a "shared" stash,
> which can be accessed from all characters on your computer.

Actually I think the limited stash is a feature. It makes you think
about what to keep. It's ok that muling is inconvenient and even
dangerous sometimes. IMO this is a fairly important part of the game.

OTOH I'll try the CE mod some day. I've reading about it with great
interest, but first I want to play Diablo II/LOD seriously. I only got
two characters to hell so far, and both are not really strong there.

The game is still very challenging for me, and very interesting.

--
c.u. Hajo

chainbreaker wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>it seems all my characters end up with at least 50% of their inventory
>>filled by charms. I'm wondering if this is a lot compared to other
>>players?
>
> Heh, not compared to mine. By the time mine get halfway through A5 Hell,
> their inventory is generally completely filled with charms, less the cube
> and *maybe* a key slot.

Reading that quite a lot of players live with as little free space as I
do, or even less, gives me some confidence.

After some serious cleanup I now have a free 4x4 area in my inventory,
so I can collect a few things on my trips. Unfortunately my stash is
still almost full (almost just because I used a few of the gems to
socket things, and handed down a few items to my younger characters).

It seems I have to mule away things even more consequently.

--
c.u. Hajo

Sliver wrote::

> What you might try which can get to be a pain but ends up being entirely
> space conserving is dump all your charms in one game off all your chars and
> then weed through them to max the resists for each one. (ask me I know LOL)
> Anyway after much shuffling turns out I needed like 2 big ones and about 4
> small ones for my current project. Not bad plenty of room for boss running
> and item finding. Eventually you will run out of charms or chars that need
> resists. Whatever is left is for rerolls or you need better gear 8D (don't
> we all!)

This idea is quite good. At least I want to make a list of all my
possessions. I assume I have forgotten about many of the items that my
less played characters and their mercs use.

--
c.u. Hajo

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> I'd like to expand my question: what things do you really keep? Amulets,
> rings, jewels, gems, runes, armor, weapons ...

I tend to keep a few blue rings and amulets in my stash but these are
mainly for crafting, which is why I also have a few jewels.
Stuff I give to mules are either Set Items or Uniques I feel sure I'm
going to use.

I see some players don't
> even bother to pick up jewels?

Unless it's for crafting, there's really not much point.

> I lost a lot of runes during an muling attempt yesterday, but this
> solves the problem only temporarily :)

That's why I generally mule high-level runes I can't use immediately.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

In article <d59bjr.3ig.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> Also, in case things are _really_ going very good, create/rush some
>> mules which can enter NM/Hell games. F.i. my gem-mule has been rushed
>> to Hell, so if the stash overflows, I can temporarily park some stuff
>> on that mule.
>
>I have two 'Temp' mules that have been rushed to hell (the forges were a
>nice bonus, as were the socket quests) and I use these mules for the 1 in
>100 case where you get a good seed game and uniques are dropping like flies.
>Of course, it helps to keep the temp mules empty. :)
>
>Having three PCs with different installs/CD keys in the house also helps
>with the rushes.

I only have two, and my original 'plan' was to rush every mule I start up
till Hell Act V, quest #1. Which adds 3 forges and 3 socket quests. The
'cunning' plan was to do this to burn in the mule, and gain some nice
stuff along.

I haven't rushed many mules that way, mainly because the rushing job is
quite boring to do...

>> At the very least, split up the gem and rune mules. You can count it
>> out yourself, but if you put all gems flawed and up in the inventory
>> of a mule, it just about fits.
>
>You pick up gems that are lower than flawless? <shakes head> I have a godly
>freezealot and anytime I want chippies or flaweds for cubing I just run him
>around normal acts 1-4 with alt pressed. His aura kills everything with one
>pulse except some of the tougher bosses in the later acts and I can have an
>inventory full of lesser gems in five minutes.

I'm a packray, so I simply cannot leave any type of gem on the ground: I
pick them all up. I'm sure there's some mathematical proof, which shows
that I would get pgems much faster if I skipped picking up anything less
than flawless, so that I have to organize less mule-sessions and can use
the time gained by that to find more flawless ones.

But I simply 'have' to pick them up. Also, I don't find that many gems and
items in an average MF-run, so it all evens out nicely: by the time I'm
done MFing, the stash is filled with some nice uniques (hopefully) and a
load of gems of all types.

>> The same goes for runes: I put all runes up to Thul in the inventory,
>> Amn+ goes into the stash. Whenever I have 3 runes El-Thul, I cube
>> them up the next-highest (except Rals, those I mule off).
>>
>> Hope this gives you an idea.
>
>I have two runes mules. El - Thul and Amn upwards. Every so often I do a
>chippy run with the frosty boy and cube some Thuls etc and put them on the
>other mule.

If you're really goin to hoard runes, and collect a lot, including trading
for them, I think 1 rune mule for all the runes is a bit too much. My rune
mule is also running out of space, mainly becaus I have to many Puls, Ums,
Mals and Ists on it, and you don't generally cube up Puls to Um, since you
gain little value using that (2 x Pul is seen as more valuable than 1 x
Um for instance).

Anyhow, next time, I'll probably make a mule especially for the stuff Pul
and up, and keep all the lower stuff on the original mule.

>Then again, I have 5 mule accounts in SC and three in HC. LOL, I get realm
>down just trying to refresh them all.

That's indeed a bit 'excessive'. I'm slowing down with the mule expansion,
since I'm becoming more and more selective as to what I keep...

Regards,

Patrick.

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> Reading that quite a lot of players live with as little free space as
> I do, or even less, gives me some confidence.
>
> After some serious cleanup I now have a free 4x4 area in my inventory,
> so I can collect a few things on my trips. Unfortunately my stash is
> still almost full (almost just because I used a few of the gems to
> socket things, and handed down a few items to my younger characters).
>
> It seems I have to mule away things even more consequently.

Well, I play HC exclusively and tend to value resists charms as mush as or
more than most other objects in the game, and that's what you'll generally
find taking up the lion's share of my character inventories. The only
reason I'd even want to have unused space would be to be able to quickly
pick up items in a multiplayer game, but in the only multiplayer games I
ever play any more, there's no need to snatch and grab.

--
chainbreaker

In article <d5ajis.260.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> I haven't rushed many mules that way, mainly because the rushing job
>> is quite boring to do...
>
>It is indeed. I had great plans of rushing all my mules too. As a bonus to
>the sockets/forges the mules can go into hell games and off-load excess gear
>as an MF character becomes full.

Yep, that's yet another nice side-benefit. Problem for me is: I already
fully loaded the few mules I have that can enter Hell. So I should either
move some stuff to another (new) mule, to free these, or rush another
mule of mine, and hope for good stuff from the Hellforges.

>> That's indeed a bit 'excessive'. I'm slowing down with the mule
>> expansion, since I'm becoming more and more selective as to what I
>> keep...
>
>Yep. Not only that but I have three playing accounts of my own and have
>inherited another eight or so mixed accounts. Busy, busy. Might have to do
>some rationalising.

I'm really getting fed up with the stuff on mules and trying to trade it
away. I am already a lot more selective as to what I keep, but even the
semi-nice stuff is untradeable, even if/when you ask for some pgems.

So I'm seriously contemplating just dumping loads of stuff, so finally
clean up a bit...

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d557d3$4cs$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>>What do you do if you find more than a few good items during a game?
>
> Well, there are two approaches, and I use them both:
>
> Either start the MF-run with a more or less empty stash, so that you have
> plenty space for the goodies you might find. Abort the run when the stash
> is full.

All my played characters underwent a major stash cleanup yesterday
evening. I've created a new mule to keep all jewels, rings and amulets.
It's unbelievable what amounts I've collected with the different chars!

But at least my played characters can collect stuff even during a longer
journey, now.

> Also, in case things are _really_ going very good, create/rush some mules
> which can enter NM/Hell games. F.i. my gem-mule has been rushed to Hell,
> so if the stash overflows, I can temporarily park some stuff on that mule.

My only serious chance to get a mule to hell seems to be to retire some
charcaters that have reached hell, and at least now, all of my
characters that reached hell are still active.

The situation will change in a few weeks or months I guess.

>>How many mules would you recommend? I'm currently having three, two
>>tightly packed mixed purpose mules, and a new one for gems and runes
>>which slowly pile up.
>
> At the very least, split up the gem and rune mules. You can count it out
> yourself, but if you put all gems flawed and up in the inventory of a
> mule, it just about fits.
>
> The same goes for runes: I put all runes up to Thul in the inventory, Amn+
> goes into the stash. Whenever I have 3 runes El-Thul, I cube them up the
> next-highest (except Rals, those I mule off).
>
> Hope this gives you an idea.

Yes, it does, thank you. It means I need at least one more mule, I'll
set it up and park it to get it permed later the day.

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d5ajbi$okt$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> Either start the MF-run with a more or less empty stash, so that you have
>> plenty space for the goodies you might find. Abort the run when the stash
>> is full.
>
>All my played characters underwent a major stash cleanup yesterday
>evening. I've created a new mule to keep all jewels, rings and amulets.
>It's unbelievable what amounts I've collected with the different chars!

:) Hope you found some useful stuff, because blue rings and amulets aren't
that valuable without any useful mods. Jewels are of course always useful,
as trade fodder for crafting junkies... :)

>But at least my played characters can collect stuff even during a longer
>journey, now.

Sounds good!

>> Also, in case things are _really_ going very good, create/rush some mules
>> which can enter NM/Hell games. F.i. my gem-mule has been rushed to Hell,
>> so if the stash overflows, I can temporarily park some stuff on that mule.
>
>My only serious chance to get a mule to hell seems to be to retire some
>charcaters that have reached hell, and at least now, all of my
>characters that reached hell are still active.
>
>The situation will change in a few weeks or months I guess.

I'm myself seriously considering to rush some more mules to Hell Act V. I
will do this with my skelliemancer as the rusher on the fast computer, and
the mule-to-be-rushed on my slower computer. If you want to, you can tag
along if you want, with your mule. I don't think the skelliemancer will
notice any difference between a 2 or a 3 player game.

It will however be quite boring, because as a mule you just tag along,
without being able to do anything; you just have to be within the right
distance when the needed act bosses are killed, etc.

>Yes, it does, thank you. It means I need at least one more mule, I'll
>set it up and park it to get it permed later the day.

See my other remark too, put the chippies also on the rune mule. You'll
hopefully be consuming these too for cubing up stuff from Sol and up. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d5ajbi$okt$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>>All my played characters underwent a major stash cleanup yesterday
>>evening. I've created a new mule to keep all jewels, rings and amulets.
>>It's unbelievable what amounts I've collected with the different chars!
>
> :) Hope you found some useful stuff, because blue rings and amulets aren't
> that valuable without any useful mods. Jewels are of course always useful,
> as trade fodder for crafting junkies... :)

It's very mixed. I separated about 20 rings and amulets to be used in
cube recipes, there are 18 amulets left that seem useful on their own
(some with +skills for character classes that I currently don't play,
like barbarian and necromancer). About 12 rings also seemed to be useful.

Some of them I kept because they have nice mods and low level
requirements and might help to start new characters, others are kept
becuase of the overall power of their mods. Some are even too high to be
useful right now, but waiting to be used soon. E.g. a rare amulet with
FCR, life and mana that needs level 48 and will be used by the rocket
sorc until I find another +1 sorc skill amulets. I have a +2 cold skills
amu, perfect now that I build a sorc without any cold spells :)

IIRC the jewels pile up to a group of ~20. Some of them are rare jewels,
some might even be useful, but most wait to be used in crafting recipes.

>>But at least my played characters can collect stuff even during a longer
>>journey, now.
>
> Sounds good!

Yes, I enjoy this very much. Even the needed breaks to mule stuff away
are good, so I can recover a bit between fast paced sessions :)

Yet, most of the time yesterday I spent on leveling the rocket sorc, so
I only picked very few useful things, but once a high level Druid with
obviously high MF helped me through act 3 and act 4 nightmare, and there
were some nice leftovers from Mephisto and Diablo drops that he didn't
want to have or could not carry. So my item collection grew a bit again.

>>>Also, in case things are _really_ going very good, create/rush some mules
>>>which can enter NM/Hell games. F.i. my gem-mule has been rushed to Hell,
>>>so if the stash overflows, I can temporarily park some stuff on that mule.
>>
>>My only serious chance to get a mule to hell seems to be to retire some
>>charcaters that have reached hell, and at least now, all of my
>>characters that reached hell are still active.
>
> I'm myself seriously considering to rush some more mules to Hell Act V. I
> will do this with my skelliemancer as the rusher on the fast computer, and
> the mule-to-be-rushed on my slower computer. If you want to, you can tag
> along if you want, with your mule. I don't think the skelliemancer will
> notice any difference between a 2 or a 3 player game.
>
> It will however be quite boring, because as a mule you just tag along,
> without being able to do anything; you just have to be within the right
> distance when the needed act bosses are killed, etc.

This reminds me of the caretaking one of my rushers did for me a while
ago - he lead me to a spot that he considered safe in the CS and told me
to stay there and not move while he kills Diablo. Interesting. There
really seem to be locations close enough to Diablos spawning point to
get the quest and yet being protected enough that Diablos area attacks
don't reach the character.

OTOH a mule probably doesn't care if rushed dead or alive.

Let me know when you plan to do the rush, I'll see if I can arrange my
day to join the rush.

>>Yes, it does, thank you. It means I need at least one more mule, I'll
>>set it up and park it to get it permed later the day.
>
> See my other remark too, put the chippies also on the rune mule. You'll
> hopefully be consuming these too for cubing up stuff from Sol and up. :)

Will do. After the accident on Saturday there aren't so many runes left,
though. Yet I found a few earlier this week.

You need Rals, right? I've counted, three are left, and I can give you 2
of them. The rocket sorc can do the "free the barbarians" quest in
normal and nightmare soon, so I can restock on Rals quickly if I need to.

I skipped the quest yesterday, teleported through the highlands right to
the crystallite passage to rescue Anya (normal only, in nightmare I'm
not yet ready for that). The Barbs are tough enough to wait another day :)

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d5amlh$q6$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

[Some agressive snipping to protect this thread against exploding, all of
the snipped text read with interest though! :)]

>IIRC the jewels pile up to a group of ~20. Some of them are rare jewels,
>some might even be useful, but most wait to be used in crafting recipes.

Keeping some low-level amulets and rings around for starting chars is
always handy. I don't do that, because I trust/hope they find some usefull
stuff on their journey...

Well, 20 crafting jewels (doesn't matter if they're blue or yeloow) can be
traded for around a Pul... Or gather about 40, and score an Um. That will
open up some extra runewords, or allow you to up your resists more
handily...

[snip]

>Yet, most of the time yesterday I spent on leveling the rocket sorc, so
>I only picked very few useful things, but once a high level Druid with
>obviously high MF helped me through act 3 and act 4 nightmare, and there
>were some nice leftovers from Mephisto and Diablo drops that he didn't
>want to have or could not carry. So my item collection grew a bit again.

Nice going! You're building the RocketSorc as described by 'Mickey', i.e.
Nova + FB? I'm interested in how you fare! :)

[Mule-rush]

>> It will however be quite boring, because as a mule you just tag along,
>> without being able to do anything; you just have to be within the right
>> distance when the needed act bosses are killed, etc.
>
>This reminds me of the caretaking one of my rushers did for me a while
>ago - he lead me to a spot that he considered safe in the CS and told me
>to stay there and not move while he kills Diablo. Interesting. There
>really seem to be locations close enough to Diablos spawning point to
>get the quest and yet being protected enough that Diablos area attacks
>don't reach the character.

Yup, it's probably the same area of the CS where I park the mule when I'm
clearing the last section, and Diablo comes out. :)

>OTOH a mule probably doesn't care if rushed dead or alive.

Sometimes the mule doesn't survive, if f.i. the lightning-stream or the
'circle-of-fire' hits him. With the mule being a naked lvl 1-5 character,
not much is needed to kill him of course. :)

>Let me know when you plan to do the rush, I'll see if I can arrange my
>day to join the rush.

OK, will do. I'm not sure I will be doing it (because it's so
mind-numbingly boring), but then again, with more people in the game, it
might even be a bit of fun...

>> See my other remark too, put the chippies also on the rune mule. You'll
>> hopefully be consuming these too for cubing up stuff from Sol and up. :)
>
>Will do. After the accident on Saturday there aren't so many runes left,
>though. Yet I found a few earlier this week.

Keep looking, it's all in the numbers: if you kill enough monsters in
Hell, one of them will drop something really nice. :)

>You need Rals, right? I've counted, three are left, and I can give you 2
>of them. The rocket sorc can do the "free the barbarians" quest in
>normal and nightmare soon, so I can restock on Rals quickly if I need to.

That'd be cool. I now have so many PAmethysts that I'm thinking of using
them in the 3 pgems + gc recipe to do some rerolls... It'd be nice to
use a few for crafting a, hopefully, godly crafter amulet...

Patrick.

In article <d5aon5$62b$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> Nice going! You're building the RocketSorc as described by 'Mickey', i.e.
>> Nova + FB? I'm interested in how you fare! :)
>
>Nova and FB, but not ES. Focus on vitaliy, maybe a touch of energy.

Hmmm, so there are some differences with the 'standard' RocketSorc then.

Curious how it works out, because in your report below (which I will
heavily snip, to keep the size down a bit) I noticed a few remarks by
yourself which might indicate why the RocketSorc is built like she is. :)

>Earlier this day I posted a summary of my findings so far, but maybe it
>was lost somewhere on the path to you. I'll copy it in here:

Where did you post this, a new subject/post? Or in an old thread? If
something got lost, I'd like to find out, so I can see where it went. :)

[biiiig snip]

>Starting with fireball rocks through normal, it's really strong in
>almost all areas and kills everything in one hit usually. The efficiency
>drops in nightmare quite a bit, but it's still strong.

As long as it's nicely synergized, it should remain strong, no?

>At least at this point I miss frozen orb very much. I really doubt if
>nova will be as efficient, OTOH nova can be cast _much_ faster than FO.
>Currently I can't say if it will work well :(

I think that's where the killing power comes from, perhaps lower damage,
but spam it quickly enough, and it starts to hurt. Of course, starting
with some keyboardian acrobatics and spamming a few SF's will also help.
:)

>With +1 skills, fire ball curently does a little less than 600 damage in
>average, and nova about 80 (since there are 29 skill points in fire ball
>and synergies, but only 7 in nova and mastery, this isn't too surprising).

:)

>Str: 60
>Dex: 25
>Vit: 78
>Ene: 52

So you went for some energy. :)

>The rocket sorc is a mana burner, particulary if using nova. Fire ball
>is a bit easier on mana, but if you fight bosses you'll cast fireball
>all over, and it seems unavoidable to run out of mana at some point.

This is probably one of the reason why Mickey maxed ene in this specific
case, relies on ES with +skills to keep him safe, and quite important, I
think, the Insight stick with a Prayer merc to keep both the life- and
mana-balls filled. I'm still hoping to get a reaction from him as to the
effectiveness of a Prayer/Insight 'mutal synergy'...

>damage still does. So I have a little hope that around clvl 60 there
>will be a turning point from which mana will be less of a problem.
>Currently I need blue potions badly.

We'll know soon enough, if you continue levelling at this pace! :)

>If the build shows potential, I'll try to get better equipment.

You'll acquire plenty of spare stuff as time goes by. :)

[snip-snip]

Sounds good, looking forward to a further update, and of course a session
with her in action! :)

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d5aon5$62b$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>>Earlier this day I posted a summary of my findings so far, but maybe it
>>was lost somewhere on the path to you. I'll copy it in here:
>

> Where did you post this, a new subject/post? Or in an old thread? If
> something got lost, I'd like to find out, so I can see where it went. :)

It was posted in the "Sorceress" thread. I used google to look for the
message, but google groups doesn't list it either. So I assume my
newsserver didn't propagate it properly. It seems I really need to look
for another news server.

> [biiiig snip]
>
>>Starting with fireball rocks through normal, it's really strong in
>>almost all areas and kills everything in one hit usually. The efficiency
>>drops in nightmare quite a bit, but it's still strong.
>
> As long as it's nicely synergized, it should remain strong, no?

Yes, but since I started to spend every second point on nova/lightning
mastery it doesn't improve as fast as before while monsters keep getting
harder all the time. So I must slow down and repeat areas to level fast
enough. I also ran into the first fire immunes in act 4, which was
really troublesome because nova still was very weak at that time.

>>At least at this point I miss frozen orb very much. I really doubt if
>>nova will be as efficient, OTOH nova can be cast _much_ faster than FO.
>>Currently I can't say if it will work well :(
>
> I think that's where the killing power comes from, perhaps lower damage,
> but spam it quickly enough, and it starts to hurt. Of course, starting
> with some keyboardian acrobatics and spamming a few SF's will also help.
> :)

Nova can be cast very fast. Let me put it this way: in less than a
second all mana is gone. If all monsters are gone, too, it's perfect, if
not, I'm having troubles. (I can't say if it's really just a second, but
it feels so. IIRC I can cast about ten novas in a row, don't know how
long that takes at 20% FCR)

>>With +1 skills, fire ball curently does a little less than 600 damage in
>>average, and nova about 80 (since there are 29 skill points in fire ball
>>and synergies, but only 7 in nova and mastery, this isn't too surprising).
>
> :)

My sorc hit level 51 yesterday (I was playing other characters too).

Fire ball now grew to ~1300 damage. I'm currently having +5 to fire
skills, +1 to FM, 1 point in FM, 20 in FB and 11 in fire bolt.

Nova grew to ~200 damage. I don't remeber the exact split between nova
and lightning mastery, but nova is reaching a level of usefulness slowly.

>>Str: 60
>>Dex: 25
>>Vit: 78
>>Ene: 52
>
> So you went for some energy. :)

Yes, and this build needs even more energy. Despite all advice I'm
spending skill points now 2:1 on vit and ene. I keep 60 points for later
if I need to correct the balance. I seriously need more and better
+mana/+energy items.

>>The rocket sorc is a mana burner, particulary if using nova.

There should be a lot of exclamation marks here!

>>damage still does. So I have a little hope that around clvl 60 there
>>will be a turning point from which mana will be less of a problem.
>>Currently I need blue potions badly.
>
> We'll know soon enough, if you continue levelling at this pace! :)

I've reached the point where the situation starts to change. Fire ball
is maxed, the fire bolt synergy adds more power at no additional mana cost.

Yet killing a boss means to cast a row or fire balls, drink a blue
potion, then cast more fire balls ...

Nova is IIRC level 8 now, and I prefer to raise lightning mastery which
adds only little less damage per point than a new level in nova itself,
yet adds power at no additional mana cost. In my current situation, this
seems to be more promising.

>>If the build shows potential, I'll try to get better equipment.
>
> You'll acquire plenty of spare stuff as time goes by. :)

Yesterday it was a lucky day.

I gambled a +1 sorceress skills tiara for her, and cubed a +2 fire
skills amulet.

I gambled a +3 fire skills tiara for my other sorc (wheeee!) and also
cubed a larger number of +1/+2 skills amulets for other classes - I had
a immense collection of rings, I used the 3 rings = 1 magic amulet
recipe. I'm out of rings and amulets as input now, though. Unfortunately
nothing with nice secondary modifiers, yet I never had such a collection
of +skills amulets before.

With the +3 fire skills tiara, fire wall now does ~6200 damage/second.

> [snip-snip]
>
> Sounds good, looking forward to a further update, and of course a session
> with her in action! :)

Currently you'd just meet a fire sorc, nova is still too weak and needs
to much mana for regular use.

But we can try a session at any time :)

I started the rocket sorc on a new account, that why you don't see me
currently. I get way too much whispers on my first account. I really
enjoy the silence on the new account. It's not really fun if you fight a
boss and get three whispers in a row and shortly thereafter a lot of
whisprs asking why you didn't answer yet.

I'll mail you the new account name, so we can set up our friends lists
accordingly.

Hey, you have a new sorc, too, do you? "FireAndIce" I think, is her
name? Is that the FB/FO build that I considered "too easy" ;o)

--
c.u. Hajo