Woo hoo! ATI 9700 Pro

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I'm picking it up Monday. I've waited three long weeks. My warehouses were out of them. I had to get on a waiting list! These things must be selling like hotcakes! Any known problems with drivers, games, etc.?

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Nope, just make sure to install the Catayst 2.3 drivers and the DirectX lockup patch.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Woo hoo! I'm guessing the lockup patch is on the ATI website? I'll post 3dMark results on Monday. Woo hoo!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Get the patch <A HREF="http://mirror.ati.com/support/infobase/4081.html" target="_new">here</A>.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't know really but it's better to be safe then sorry. :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
And another thing, make sure you have a free molex or floppy power connector for the R9700. Also, it's best to leave a little space between your graphics card and PCI cards. The R9700 tends to get a bit hotter than an R8500 and the GF4.

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
All my stuff comes from newegg on monday too, including a radeon 9700 Pro!!!! :smile: I cant wait until i get everything together, I will post the specs and benchmarks in the cpu section. The only thing that sux is that newegg had no Kingston PC-1066, i just ordered it directly from kingston instead, it was the same price. I also hope the audigy I got doesnt do the Windows XP Squeal of Death or i will be extremely pissed off.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I have an Enermax power supply. They give you about 800 moldex connectors so that shouldn't be a problem. The nearest thing I have to my AGP slot is 4 slots down and it is a fan. So keeping that baby cool isn't a problem either. I can't wait! Woo hoo!

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I also hope the audigy I got doesnt do the Windows XP Squeal of Death or i will be extremely pissed off.
You can always send it back and get a TBSC or GTXP. Good luck with your new stuff. Woo hoo!

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Hey AMD MAN, I heard that this card has some issues with certain games. YOu wouldnt happen to know any would you? I have heard that it wont work with Warcraft 3, one of my newer games i got. I also heard of problems with Neverwinter Nights, another game i want to get. The FPS games will be awesome though, even counterstrike should look better. No more laggin and dyin for me!! w00t!! :smile:

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
You can always send it back and get a TBSC or GTXP. Good luck with your new stuff. Woo hoo!
Oh yeah, i forgot about how easy that was. I hope that they will let me do it. If the audigy does give me crap what card would u recommend for a Promedia 4.1 system?

Klipsch finally repaired with the advice from the repair facility in NYC.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The fix that AMD_Man posted a link to are some games. You should download that.

The Game Theatre XP seems very good.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Imphy

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Ouch, I just put my new machine together. ASUS P4T533-R, 512MB 32Bit PC1066 Memory, P4 2.53GHz 533FSB and a Radeon 9700 Pro, running XP SP1. I only scored 6700 in 3DMark2001, and in tomshardware test they scored 12000 on the exact same set up, what the hell am I missing that would half the performance?? Any ideas?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Sounds like you have Aniso and AA on? Make sure you use the Catalyst 2.3 drivers. They're more stable and a bit faster than the ones that come with the CD.

Imphy

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Thanx for the tup. The catalyst 2.3 drivers made a difference, up to 9800 now, but still a few thousands off the mark. Is it AA (antialiasing) in 3DSMark2001 I should disable (if so, it is already by default), and what is Ansio?

Again, thanks for your reply!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Check in the ATI control panel. Right click the Desktop, click Properties, Settings, then click the Advanced button. Switch to DirectX. Make sure "Application Preference" is selected for Anisotropic Filtering and "Application Preference" is selected for SMOOTHVISION.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WC3 seems to work fine with my 9700pro (havent got NWN yet)

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ye gods, I have an XP2000, 256DDR on a Kt266a & the 9700pro wiv win98se & I get in & around 13000 3dmarks (more if I pump everything to performance settings) this is just with the CD drivers & patch

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Exclent marneus, then I can expect atleast over 10 000 marks.
I have about the same setup except I have KT333 and XP 1800.

<font color=red>I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I´m all out of bubblegum...</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know that they will be moving from .15 micron to .13, and that the availability will be higher, performance/cooling slightly improved, and price lower. They are having trouble producing the thing on .15 micron because of its size, causing low availability.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Who? ATI? I thought they didn´t move to 0.13 because they thought it was to early. Isn´t that the biggest rumours concerning NV30? Problems with the .13 process?

<font color=red>I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I´m all out of bubblegum...</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They didn't initially put it on the .13 micron process because of availability of the .13 micron process in the industry. Their suppliers are the ones with .13 micron problems. As soon as their suppliers are able to work out production problems, ATI will move to that process. If that takes 6 months, that means the card will drop to ~$250 based on age alone, but because the supply will be greater and the cost will be lower, I expect a drop to around $200 with a reduction in temp and better overclockability. In fact, ATI might raise the clock speed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Cooldoud

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Yep... And when the ATI 0.13 Radeon 9700 is out, Nvidia will announce its "Geforce5 Ultra", so the upcoming NV30 will lose 200$ and will retail at 300$ instead of the 500$ when it is out...
No offence meant Crashman, but i think that when talking about computers, we're not talking about wisdom. If you were wise, you would never buy a PC, because there is always so much better hardware to come in the next months... You must just decide when to take a move (basically when you've got money ;), and DONT look forward to what will hapen in one, two or six months. Just seize the moment when your PC is a state of the art one. Whats forward ? P4 w/ HyperThreading, NV30, dual channel DDR. Should I buy when these are out ? No, there will be the hammer coming in just a few months, and the DDR-II, as well as a 0.13µ Radeon 9700 Pro... I think you see what I mean ! In fact computer science is just insane !
Well... As you have already remarked, I REALLY need to go to bed now. Good night all (if applicable, I dont know what time it is in your country :)

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
What is DDR II? I hear people talking about it but i haven´t found any info on it.