Sign in with
Your question

R8500 rules in UT2K3!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2002 3:46:05 PM

<A HREF="http://members.rogers.com/amd_man/ut2k3.jpg" target="_new"> Here's my benchmark. </A>

I put my Display Properties window in the background to prove to you that my R8500 really reached those scores. I reset both my R8500 and P4 to their stock speeds. UT2K3 was set to the highest possible settings in the game. I'll post some personal screen shots with and without Aniso and AA if you like. ATI definitely did something right with these new 2.3 Catalyst drivers! :smile:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

More about : r8500 rules ut2k3

September 14, 2002 5:26:04 PM

*bump*

People, the final UT2K3 demo is now available! Isn't anyone interested?

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.
Related resources
September 14, 2002 5:29:21 PM

I am interested!!!!! I just cant install it yet, my comp isnt here yet. :frown:

It looks like a really sweet game with great graphics. I cant wait to download the demo and test it out next weekend, well i hope next weekend unless something goes horribly wrong with my new system...
September 14, 2002 7:16:12 PM

YES, WE ARE INTERESTED. My brother was so excided, he almost woke me up this morning when he saw that the demo was finally here.

I saw a video where they said it would run on a TNT2. I thought they meant the "real" TNT2, not my m64. I was pretty surprised that the game is playable at 800x600 with 16 bit colors. Just barely, and looking around to fast is a pain, but still.

Can´t wiat to get myself a Radeon 9700Pro.

<font color=red>I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I´m all out of bubblegum...</font color=red>
September 14, 2002 7:53:14 PM

I was disappointed with my results!

Geez, I thought Nvidia worked to optimize their cards, but my Ti200 with my AXP 1.4GHZ barely itch 40 FPS in most levels! I checked Anandtech's results, those were a lie, even at loosened Details, and 800*600, I see nothing more than average 30-40.

I don't get it, I have no AA and Aniso enabled.

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
September 14, 2002 8:00:27 PM

I don't know, but overall, I'm very pleased that the bug in the R8500 driver and the poor performance in the Anand UT2003 has been fixed. From what I've seen, my bench score is relatively similar to a Ti4200. Eden, in the UT2003demo folder, there's a .exe called Benchmark. Run it and tell us what you get at the end. The first test is just a flyby (as in no bots). The second test has a few bots on screen. I'm curious to see what Matisaro gets at stock speed on his Ti4200. :wink:

September 14, 2002 8:24:31 PM

Don't you recall, he fried his Ti4200 as he was trying an insane mod!

I did run the Benchmark thing, I turned Stat FPS on, and in the end I beleive I had 42 FPS. Way too low IMO.

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
September 14, 2002 8:39:00 PM

42FPS for the Flyby or BotMatch? If it's the flyby, then that's terrible. If it's the botmatch, then that's ok for a Ti200. I get about 54FPS for the BotMatch when everything's at stock. I get about 127 or 128FPS for the flyby. In game performance is in between those two numbers.

September 14, 2002 9:22:45 PM

I just got the demo.........is there a benchmark in the demo ? How do I run it ?

-N-

<b><font color=blue>Paramedics - Does this mean there is always two of them ?</font color=blue></b>

<A HREF="http://www.nialm.com\rig.htm" target="_new">My Rig</A>
September 14, 2002 10:04:22 PM

In the UT2003 folder (eg. C:\UT2003Demo\System), there's a file called benchmark.exe. Run that, sit back and relax until it finishes.

September 14, 2002 11:28:15 PM

I'm very impressed with the results on my R8500 too. It runs beautifully at 1024x768 max details. I haven't tried any higher, but anandtech had me mislead. I get
Flyby:129.687714
Botmatch: 48.658611
@ 1024x768 with my card at 279/324 1800+/KT333/Catalyst 2.3
September 15, 2002 12:24:29 AM

Don't worry, those Anand benchmarks were on old drivers. The Catalyst 2.3s are great drivers! You're actually getting slightly higher than me in Flyby, but I had my card at stock.

September 15, 2002 1:23:33 AM

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Gotta get this demo. I've never played the first UT so I have no idea what it's like. Seems pretty good huh?

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
September 15, 2002 1:30:08 AM

Erm, what was ur cpu again? W/ my 1.2Ghz T-Bird, Quadro DCC (stock speeds, so GF3 speeds), 28. something or other drivers, I get 117 on flyby, and 40 on botmatch. I think cpu speed plays a very large role in botmatch, b/c ocing core by 40Mhz and ram by over 100Mhz gave me 2 fps more.

What if you had admin rights to life?
September 15, 2002 1:44:52 AM

Yeah, it's a P4 2.26GHz. I was running at stock in that benchmark.

September 15, 2002 1:44:52 AM

Yeah, it's a P4 2.26GHz. I was running at stock in that benchmark.

September 15, 2002 1:50:11 AM

Hehe, my measly 1.2Ghz doesn't stand a chance:)  Well, we'll talk when I get my sledgies.

September 15, 2002 2:11:28 AM

I'm impressed so far with the new Catalyst drivers. I wonder how the R8500 stacks up against the Ti4200 in UT2003 now. Cause it seemed pretty far behind with the old Catalysts (at least at anandtech).
September 15, 2002 2:32:13 AM

Gah, it is cpu, 2 fps difference between 640x480 and 1600x1200!!

September 15, 2002 2:44:12 AM

115.6 flyby
38.6 botmatch

290/280 1.7 stock speed.

I think i run across CPU bottleneck

At the end i have speak with a horny lady
September 15, 2002 2:57:34 AM

The same seting but at 1.87 so 10 % increase in RAM FSB CPU

My willi seen to be too slow for max performance of the RADEON 8500

September 15, 2002 2:57:34 AM

The same seting but at 1.87 so 10 % increase in RAM FSB CPU

My willi seen to be too slow for max performance of the RADEON 8500

September 15, 2002 5:25:26 AM

AWESOME!!! been waiting for a new game to play in replacement for WC3...It's great to go back to FPS game again! The graphics looked awesome but I ahve a question for you guys...how big of a difference do you see in graphics in UT2003 vs Q3A...for me I do notice enhancements and fluid realism but not too much...or am I just being biased because I know UT2003 is gonna be a revolution...

hey AMD_Man can I use ATI Max to upgrade my 2.2 to 2.3 Catalyst driver...last time was a bummer coz nothing could remove the 2.1 drivers properly and I couldn't run the setup flawlessly...is there a difference between running the setup and using add hardware wizard from Windows? I might just use the add hardware wizad to be safe
September 15, 2002 5:33:19 AM

it's Sept 14th here 10:40 PM and I am dloading the demo but imma try it on 2.2 drivers with R8500 64MB, stock speed...let's see how it goes...and after AMD_man replies (hopefully) to my question if it's same to use add hardware wizzard and setup then imma go test on 2.3
September 15, 2002 5:45:20 AM

the 4200 is right there with it at stock speeds. I have the same 2.26 (non-oced) as AMD_Man, but I have the 4200ti(non-oced). The benchmarks were almost an exact mirror of his. botmatch was about 4 fps higher, and the other was just 1.

This was my first UT experience. Seems pretty cool. I'm so used to the feel of the quake games though, so it's gonna take some getting used to. It seems a little more stiff at first. Gotta warm into it.

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>
September 15, 2002 7:44:27 AM

Graphics and animation are simply superb! then I saw some guy's torso and 1 leg flew for a short while and drops on the green ground as you see the shade of the towering trees sway reflected at the ground...some awesome detail there! lotsa polygons put in it as I've read at some issue of Computer game World...how does the visuals compare to Morrowind btw? but damn guys it looks great...better than Quake 3...the future is here...well it's always gonna be here as long as new games keep poppin out...but UT2003 is something to be amazed about

btw here's my benchmark...

R8500 64MB (stock) - Catalyst 2.2 drivers
1024x768 @ 32bbp

Flyby: 106.125977
Botmatch: 46.028339

are these framerates? sorry to be noob...hehe...coz isn't 46 fps too low or was that benchmark done at the highest setting?

well time to try using AA and aniso
September 15, 2002 11:50:41 AM

how come i get same results on both benchmarks..
Flyby:~45
Botmatch:~30

BTW..its on a P41.5GHZ..256RDRAM/Radeon64DDR 182/182 at 1024*768 with catalyst 2.1...but its perfectly playable...fraps gives me an average of 30FPS...

P.S. what do u guys think of the game....umm..i dont like it....that guy's voice is so silly...funny actually...and the original weapons and bots in UT were far cooler....
any thoughts...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oymd on 09/15/02 04:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 15, 2002 12:21:17 PM

Um, don't use ATIMax. It's horribly screwed up at the moment. Just uninstall the Catalyst 2.2 and install the Catalyst 2.3.

September 15, 2002 2:17:58 PM

Do you guys out there like this game ? I've downloaded it yesterday and... well... Boring. Sure the graphics are really neat, and the physics are very enjoyable (I like to see my body fly thru the air :) , but I tried a CTF and it didn't appeal to me... Maybe because I'm bad at this, i dont know, but for now I'm gonna stick to Counter Strike ;) 
Anyway I must have the worst score of you all, but I'm still using 23.11 det under XP (newer ones crash my comp). So with an Athlon 1.33, 256 SDRAM, Geforce3, I get an awesome 86/35
September 15, 2002 4:04:07 PM

Ja, I found it boring too.

September 15, 2002 6:58:34 PM

No cooldoud, I win!

Running the benchmark at 10x7 (and probably 32bit colors, no sure, I just ran the damm thing!) I get 6.xxxxx in the flyby and 5.xxxxx in the botmatch.

The TNT2 m64.............. I really need an upgrade.

BTW, I think 46 fps is quite playable. Even 20 seems playable.

<font color=red>I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I´m all out of bubblegum...</font color=red>
September 15, 2002 8:46:40 PM

Flyby: 93.4
BotMatch: 33.9

Not great but not bad either, I guess, for a Tbird at 1500 Mhz (150*10), SDRAM, Radeon 8500 at 300/325. However I get stuttering in game play. I haven't seen this in any games in months so I don't know what's wrong. I'm suspecting a sound card/driver issue. Do you happen to know if there is a command line instruction to disable sound so I can test my idea?

I find most FPS's boring with the exceptions of Half-Life, SOF, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (too short), and MOHAA. I hate death matches.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
September 15, 2002 8:48:50 PM

My 1.2 ghz system kicks j00 system's azz!!

September 15, 2002 8:50:52 PM

That's awful for a Radeon 8500 on a 1.5GHz Athlon.What drivers are you using? It might be that you're using SDRAM, but I don't know.

September 15, 2002 8:58:16 PM

I marveled at the graphics and animation but yeah I found it boring after a while...I also play CS and there are some differences between games like UT/Q3A and CS so some ppl will enjoy UT and some CS...but I believe this topic concentrates on R8500 cards performing well on UT2003 and UT2003's achievement in ground breaking technology for FPS games...hehe

I do prefer CS over UT2003 but if CS had the same nice looks as UT2003 it will be kick ass!
September 15, 2002 8:58:41 PM

Maybe ut2k3 is heavily dependant on all aspects of the system. It's got a nice engine, wonder when they'll make a game:) 

September 15, 2002 9:00:03 PM

Catalyst 2.3, Win98. I think having only a 64MB video card might be the bit limiting in this game as well.

September 15, 2002 9:00:57 PM

AMD_Man...the problem is whenever I uninstall the old drivers after I reboot Windows damn insists on re-installing the old driver...the INF file for the old drivers are somehow still in the system of Windows...with Nvidia cards you can use "detonator destroyer" to fully remove everything that is related to Nvidia drivers...is there any program that fully removes Radeon drivers and INF files...
September 15, 2002 9:09:40 PM

I don't know. I'm on a P4 2.26GHz with a 64MB R8500 but I score nearly 40FPS higher than you in Flyby, and 20FPS higher in Botmatch.

September 15, 2002 9:16:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know, but overall, I'm very pleased that the bug in the R8500 driver and the poor performance in the Anand UT2003 has been fixed. From what I've seen, my bench score is relatively similar to a Ti4200

Um no way your trying to claim your benchmark invalidates anands, there could be any number of configurations changes which would increase your performance compared to their system.

The 4200 rules ut2003 and untill someone does a new benchmark suite to prove otherwise, thats how it will stay.

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:
September 15, 2002 9:18:01 PM

Quote:
Matisaro gets at stock speed on his Ti4200.

Even if I had not fried my 4200 in a failed modding attempt I wouldnt compare results on 2 seperate platforms to show which card is better, benchmarkS must be done in a strictly controled manner to be applicable.

September 15, 2002 9:20:25 PM

Quote:
I'm impressed so far with the new Catalyst drivers. I wonder how the R8500 stacks up against the Ti4200 in UT2003 now. Cause it seemed pretty far behind with the old Catalysts (at least at anandtech).

LoL, read my above post, there is no evidence the catylist drivers did anything simply because we do not have vaild comparision material.

Your and amd mans results are not comparable to the anandtech results, one different setting in the bios or sys.ini can result in dramatically different performannce!

September 15, 2002 9:31:09 PM

Matisaro, this is what MindCrime said earlier on:

Quote:

the 4200 is right there with it at stock speeds. I have the same 2.26 (non-oced) as AMD_Man, but I have the 4200ti(non-oced). The benchmarks were almost an exact mirror of his. botmatch was about 4 fps higher, and the other was just 1.

This was my first UT experience. Seems pretty cool. I'm so used to the feel of the quake games though, so it's gonna take some getting used to. It seems a little more stiff at first. Gotta warm into it.

See, so overall, his Ti4200 is only 4% faster.

September 15, 2002 9:32:19 PM

Quote:

LoL, read my above post, there is no evidence the catylist drivers did anything simply because we do not have vaild comparision material.

Your and amd mans results are not comparable to the anandtech results, one different setting in the bios or sys.ini can result in dramatically different performannce!

Lol, see my above post. :wink:

September 15, 2002 10:20:25 PM

Quote:
don't know. I'm on a P4 2.26GHz with a 64MB R8500 but I score nearly 40FPS higher than you in Flyby, and 20FPS higher in Botmatch.

Well, there's a huge difference between a Tbird 1.5 with SDRAM and a P4 2.26 and DDR.

Doesn't matter. I'll still wait for Doom 3 before I make a major upgrade.

September 15, 2002 10:25:34 PM

What was the mod u were trying to do?

September 15, 2002 10:27:02 PM

Quote:

Well, there's a huge difference between a Tbird 1.5 with SDRAM and a P4 2.26 and DDR.

RDRAM now, actually. :wink:

September 15, 2002 10:37:21 PM

I agree with some, the game lacks fun. I expected something like the old UT, even though I never played but saw it a few times only, I felt there was some nice action.

To be honest guys, I often felt the Q3 atmosphere but with updated graphics, and the gameplay also felt too Quaky! I had expected more, in fact I am greatly disappointed with my performance, I mean around 50 FPS for FLYBY, when others get over 80, is something not right.
Not to mention weak botmatch results. The entire time I played it, it was always hovering the 20s and 30s, so I didn't get much smooth gameplay, yet Anand's results had mine scoring much higher, PLUS let us not forget the CPU scaling graphics showing my 1.4GHZ should NOT deviate too much.

--
September 15, 2002 11:30:34 PM

OK, I found some interesting things. I was reading the notes about the demo which mentioned an OpenGL renderer. Nosing through the benchmark folder I found how to enable the OpenGL renderer. In the following directory

\UT2003Demo\Benchmark\Stuff

there is a file called MaxDetail.ini. Here are the lines that control which renderer is used

<b>[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice</b>

Just activate the one you want and comment out the others (with a ";").

I'm not sure what visual changes happen with the OpenGL renderer vs the D3D renderer but I score

FlyBy: 104.6
BotMatch: 38.3

This is roughly 12% better than my D3D scores.

Something else that is interesting is the Null renderer which appears to just benchmark the CPU and memory hardware eliminating the video card. This might be useful at determining which is most limiting, the system or the video card.

!