Radeon 9700 Pro Black Screen after WinXP loads

sangwooksohn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi? I have problem using my newly purchased ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

I have an IBM Intellistation Z Pro (6866) with Dual PIII Xeon 1GHz along with 512MB PC800 ECC RDRAM and SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum Ex.
The Motherboard uses Intel 840 Chipset.
I had Elsa Gloria DCC installed previously, but I've upgraded my graphic card to ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

However, I am having Black Screen after Windows XP loads.
After the Windows XP loads, I have black screen.
It happens right before the windows screen goes to desktop screen from the Windows XP logo with loading show.
And my monitor says no input signal. It just goes black.

Since I have Windows XP with Intel 840 chipset, I assume that I do not need any particular AGP driver installed. (I don't thinks any available, either).

I even had Clean Windows XP installed with ATI Catalyst driver only, but I am still having the same problem.

However, I can have my screen if I boot up on Safe Mode and restart to normal Windows without doing anything.
And once Windows XP boots up successfully, it is steady rock stable.

I have ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Retail with ATI Catalyst 2.3 (build 6.13.10.6166) which released 12th Sep. for Windows XP.

If anyone know how to solve my problem, please post reply.

Thanks in advance.

Sang Wook Sohn

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
what kind of monitor do you have?
the problem might be that when windows begins to load the desktop settings kick in and what ever those settings are they are to much for your monitor. my little brother just got a new video card and had about the same problem. we found out that it was set to 1024x728 @ 85hz, his little 15" monitor could only go to 60hz @ 1024x728 so the monitor would simply shut off. if you can get it plugged into a 19"+ monitor then you can see if that is the problem. if that isn't it then it could be any number of things. doesn't that card need a direct connection to the power supply? I don't know if that would affect displaying things but check to see if that is plugged in.
that is my guess
-folken

sangwooksohn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am using IBM P260 21" monitor.
I previously used resolution of 1600x1200 32bit 85Hz.
And so does with ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.
I also made sure that I pluged all power cables.
BTW, I am using 490W Power Supply.

Anyway, I am having this problem not only on my favorite resolution, but also any resolution with any refresh rate.

If anyone knows how to solve my problem.
Please reply me.

Thanks in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sangwooksohn on 09/14/02 07:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>