How to use Cloak of Shadows ?

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I never really found a use for CoS. If I can
see the monsters on screen, they can see me, and they acquire target,
so nothing is gained. Or, more likely, my idiot merc and Shadow Master
(yes, we come in groups) will move straight for them and there again,
CoS is of no use. Am I missing something ? How can I cast this thing,
move in close and zap the evil-doers if I don't know where they are ?
Or should I continually maintain a artificial night everywhere I go ?

Thanx for the input

Dr Fleau

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Dr Fleau wrote:
> Maybe I'm an idiot, but I never really found a use for CoS. If I can
> see the monsters on screen, they can see me, and they acquire target,
> so nothing is gained.

When CoS is active, the bad guys will have a kind of steam-breath, like
when it's cold outside. You can see them by that. This works especially
well indoors. Once you get used to it you might find it _easier_ to see
the enemies with CoS active than without.

> Or, more likely, my idiot merc and Shadow Master
> (yes, we come in groups) will move straight for them and there again,
> CoS is of no use. Am I missing something ?

Bad guys have limited attention span. Many of them will forget all
about you with CoS active. This is especially true for ranged
attackers.

> How can I cast this thing,
> move in close and zap the evil-doers if I don't know where they are ?
> Or should I continually maintain a artificial night everywhere I go ?

Sneak up (slowly, you may need to walk, not run). When you see the
enemies, cast CoS, start tarpping or MA'ing. Let Shadow and Merc go at
it. Repeat when CoS runs out. This will keep the baddies on the edge of
the screen, as well as the ranged attackers from hitting you.

Be careful not to move to another screen while cloaked. If you do then
the enemies will see you and you will not be able to recast right away.

-Jason

On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:36:41 -0700, Dr Fleau wrote:

> Maybe I'm an idiot, but I never really found a use for CoS. If I can
> see the monsters on screen, they can see me,

Not always true.

>and they acquire target,
> so nothing is gained. Or, more likely, my idiot merc and Shadow Master
> (yes, we come in groups) will move straight for them and there again,
> CoS is of no use. Am I missing something ?

You can move sideways after casting CoS and they won't see that.

Dr Fleau wrote:
> Maybe I'm an idiot, but I never really found a use for CoS. If I can
> see the monsters on screen, they can see me, and they acquire target,
> so nothing is gained. Or, more likely, my idiot merc and Shadow
Master
> (yes, we come in groups) will move straight for them and there again,
> CoS is of no use. Am I missing something ? How can I cast this thing,
> move in close and zap the evil-doers if I don't know where they are ?
> Or should I continually maintain a artificial night everywhere I go ?

It also lowers their defence.

Anyway, IIRC and in general terms, once cast, a monster will still
continue on with whatever they were doing just before CoS was cast. So,
if they had seen you, they will still move towards you. UNLESS they are
interrupted, eg if your merc or Shadow engages. OR you cast MB on them.

So, cast CoS, then a quick MB, and that monster will be stuck to the
spot to do with as you will.

Chaliban

Jason wrote:

> Be careful not to move to another screen while cloaked. If you do then
> the enemies will see you and you will not be able to recast right away.

Hmm... I've been playing an assassin build for a few weeks now, and find
CoS to be annoying in this regard, especially when fast monsters "show
up" from off the screen, after CoS is in effect.

I wonder if this is an example of a skill where it's best *not* to have
extra points because the duration of the spell is longer and you can't
recast it as frequently.

Of course, there's also the defense effects (+ to yours, - to enemies')
with more points, so I guess it's a trade off. See this for the summary:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/assassin-shadow.shtml#cloakofshadows

--
Help fight spam by "educating" the lax, zombie-hosting ISPs:
http://pages.infinit.net/filmore/educateYourISP.htm

Can't you cast Speed to cancel CoS and then recast CoS?

"Cris Fuhrman" <filmore@bigSANS_SPAMfoot.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Jason wrote:
>
> > Be careful not to move to another screen while cloaked. If you do then
> > the enemies will see you and you will not be able to recast right away.
>
> Hmm... I've been playing an assassin build for a few weeks now, and find
> CoS to be annoying in this regard, especially when fast monsters "show
> up" from off the screen, after CoS is in effect.
>
> I wonder if this is an example of a skill where it's best *not* to have
> extra points because the duration of the spell is longer and you can't
> recast it as frequently.
>
> Of course, there's also the defense effects (+ to yours, - to enemies')
> with more points, so I guess it's a trade off. See this for the summary:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/assassin-shadow.shtml#cloakofshadows

> --
> Help fight spam by "educating" the lax, zombie-hosting ISPs:
> http://pages.infinit.net/filmore/educateYourISP.htm

On Thu, 5 May 2005 10:41:10 -0400, "Daniel L."
<jereçoisdéjàtropdespamaubureau@désolé.com> wrote:

>> Can't you cast Speed to cancel CoS and then recast CoS?

speed cancels fade, not cos.

--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

On 4 May 2005 09:36:41 -0700, "Dr Fleau" <dr_fleau@lycos.com> wrote:

>Maybe I'm an idiot, but I never really found a use for CoS. If I can
>see the monsters on screen, they can see me, and they acquire target,
>so nothing is gained. Or, more likely, my idiot merc and Shadow Master
>(yes, we come in groups) will move straight for them and there again,
>CoS is of no use. Am I missing something ? How can I cast this thing,
>move in close and zap the evil-doers if I don't know where they are ?
>Or should I continually maintain a artificial night everywhere I go ?
>
>Thanx for the input
>
>Dr Fleau

CoS can be an annoying spell, especially if you're spoiled to playing
a Necromancer with a good "Dim Vision" (several points in it for a
sufficiently large radius). Dim Vision has the advantage in a way
because you can cast it over and over again if the first time doesn't
take. The bad thing about Dim Vision is that it's *not*
all-encompassing like Cloak of Shadows, which on first level has a
20-yard radius (if I remember correctly)... so once you cast it,
everything is completely blinded. You just have to make sure and cast
it at the right time... my advice is to sneak up, and cast it once a
few monsters have already gotten onscreen.

There are various ways to distract monsters that help CoS; Mind Blast
will stun them temporarily, you can also use Psychic Hammer on
occasion, at least in lower difficulty areas of the game. Until you
start using Fade, Burst of Speed helps considerably in dodging
monsters.

So CoS has several advantages over the Necro's Dim Vision curse; it's
pretty much all-encompassing on its first level, and it lowers defense
of your enemies (and maybe even raises your own defense level? I
forget)... the downside is that you can't keep re-casting it like you
can Dim Vision, which in some cases, despite its other advantages,
renders it almost useless.

I personally find CoS to be useful most of the time... and tend to use
it often when playing Assassins. When it's cast at the right
time...which is I admit often very hard to do...it's extremely useful.
But when cast at the wrong time, its purpose is almost completely
annulled.

--USEast

Latest posts