Shut down problem

Deaks

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
I need a little help and I'm sure it's just a simple answer, but my computer is not turning off when I shut it down. It close Windows ME, but doesn't turn off, it comes up with veritcal orange and black lines. Has this got something to do with my signal from my monitor? and yes I have downloaded Microsoft's IDE shut problem patch. Appreciate some help.

It could be quite a few things, Hardware related, M/B, Video Card, NIC, Sound Card, Software Related, Drivers, Conflicts Etc.

Just guessing it possibly could be video related, with your description of what the monitor is doing, uninstall and reinstall the video card for starters.

I had a shutdown problem with ME and it was the onboard sound that was causing the problem, removed the drivers, disabled the onboard sound in the CMOS setup, and installed a soundcard in PCI, and the shutdown problem was solved for me, but that may not be your problem at all.

If the video card suggestion doesn't work, then you'll have to do the process of elimination method by removing a PCI card and its drivers one at a time and restarting the machine until the problem goes away.

Did you install, or change, or update, anything just prior to this problem arising?

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Hey Deaks, when you find out what it is please post back. I've got win ME on a laptop and it's recently started showing the black and orange screen during shut down. No prob for me because it only hangs amoment and then does close down. BTW, as I said it's a laptop so no hardware changes.

Have you tried system restore to go back to a point before the problem began occuring?

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
9600 Pro
Win98SE

Deaks

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
Hey thanks I'll try that. It's differently not my on board sound because that's allready disabled and allways has been. So I'll start uninstalling!!

Windows ME
AMD 2000+
512 MB RAM
DFI NFII Ultra AL Mainboard
2 X 40 Gig Seagate HD's
GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 128 MB
Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1