Concerns about buying Win7, need a few answers.

foreverloved

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I'm contemplating switching from Win XP 64-bit to Win 7 64-bit however I've read a few things that concern me and would really appreciate it if I could get a few things cleared up.

My main concern is that I've been using the same WinXP disc on multiple computers in my house and while this may not be totally legal I don't wish to buy multiple copies of Windows 7 or a new copy any time I buy a new HD or reformat(which is often).

1.Is it impossible or much more difficult to use the same Windows 7 disc for multiple computers at the same time?

2.If I reformat my HD will I have issues reusing the same disc?

3.I had a copy of WinXP years ago that I would have to call an automated voice center and answer some questions before it would give me the auth code, is this what I'll be dealing with or something else?

4.Is there any reason other than tech support that I'd want to pay twice the price for a retail box over an OEM disc?

Solution
The answer to question #2 is a little more involved.

If all you do is reformat the hard disk, then there is no problem re-installing Win 7 OEM (I have done this without any problem)
However, if you change/upgrade your motherboard or CPU, then you will need to speak with a Microsoft tech by phone and then validate the OS (I did this when I upgraded my mobo) - the OS (OEM) cannot be un-installed and transferred to another computer.
The answer to question #2 is a little more involved.

If all you do is reformat the hard disk, then there is no problem re-installing Win 7 OEM (I have done this without any problem)
However, if you change/upgrade your motherboard or CPU, then you will need to speak with a Microsoft tech by phone and then validate the OS (I did this when I upgraded my mobo) - the OS (OEM) cannot be un-installed and transferred to another computer.

Solution