Another Gul from the Hell Hellforge, what now?

Finally got my IK Barb playing a bit, and the going seems to get tougher
now. Act IV Hell was still doable, WW-ing around, etc. Also Hephasto went
down nicely, and after smashing the Soulstone, a Gul popped out.

Hmmm, nice, of course, the highest it can give, but what now. Gul in
itself isn't part of too many exciting runewords, and I do have another
Gul from another lucky Hellforge... So, cube them both up to a Vex (that
would be my second one, I found another a long while ago), or keep them as
trade-fodder?

To return to the IK Barb's adventures: now that he has entered Act V Hell,
things are getting a lot tougher; especially those Frenzytaurs are tough
cookies, because they are usually also PI, and despite the hefty elemental
damage on the IK Maul, he's no longer leeching, so WW-ing in that case is
quite difficult...

Also, I'm more and more finding out I need Cannot Be Frozen from
somewhere; I think with the full IK set, the only way I can get it, is
from Ravenfrost. Or am I missing something?

Regards,

Patrick.

ik set has a number of socket available, you can always stick a cham
in the helm, or you can socket the armor and put a cham in that.

On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:54:27 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> Finally got my IK Barb playing a bit, and the going seems to get tougher
> now. Act IV Hell was still doable, WW-ing around, etc. Also Hephasto went
> down nicely, and after smashing the Soulstone, a Gul popped out.

Congratz with that one :)

> Hmmm, nice, of course, the highest it can give, but what now. Gul in
> itself isn't part of too many exciting runewords, and I do have another
> Gul from another lucky Hellforge... So, cube them both up to a Vex (that
> would be my second one, I found another a long while ago), or keep them as
> trade-fodder?

I think that vex have one good thing, HotO, and a vex is better
trade-fodder than 2xgul.

> To return to the IK Barb's adventures: now that he has entered Act V Hell,
> things are getting a lot tougher; especially those Frenzytaurs are tough
> cookies, because they are usually also PI, and despite the hefty elemental
> damage on the IK Maul, he's no longer leeching, so WW-ing in that case is
> quite difficult...

I'm not much of a ww expert so i don't now how it works with PI, but even
at 1 hardpoint concentrate can do the job and it's only 2 mana so you
don't need leech, and your defense raise so the chance for you getting
hitted is lower.

> Also, I'm more and more finding out I need Cannot Be Frozen from
> somewhere; I think with the full IK set, the only way I can get it, is
> from Ravenfrost. Or am I missing something?

Iirc cbf only comes on uniques and runewords and since all you have left
is amu and rings and cbf doesn't spawn on any unique amu you only choice
is ravenfrost.

--
Sonni

In article <ilsm71hcbj2pnc3dql3buqit66grjmhm14@4ax.com>,
z123 <z123@z123.org> wrote:
>ik set has a number of socket available, you can always stick a cham
>in the helm, or you can socket the armor and put a cham in that.

Unfortunately I'm not that rich, so a Cham in the helm is not an option.
:)

Ravenfrost it seems to be then... :)

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <pan.2005.05.06.12.16.24.772384@sonni.org>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:54:27 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>> Finally got my IK Barb playing a bit, and the going seems to get tougher
>> now. Act IV Hell was still doable, WW-ing around, etc. Also Hephasto went
>> down nicely, and after smashing the Soulstone, a Gul popped out.
>
>Congratz with that one :)

Thanks! It's been a while since I last smashed a Soulstone on the Hell
Hellforge, but this again reminds me why rune-rushing can be quite
rewarding, despite being also quite boring. :)

>I think that vex have one good thing, HotO, and a vex is better
>trade-fodder than 2xgul.

Yeah, I'll cube them both up to a Vex then...

>> To return to the IK Barb's adventures: now that he has entered Act V Hell,
>> things are getting a lot tougher; especially those Frenzytaurs are tough
>> cookies, because they are usually also PI, and despite the hefty elemental
>> damage on the IK Maul, he's no longer leeching, so WW-ing in that case is
>> quite difficult...
>
>I'm not much of a ww expert so i don't now how it works with PI, but even
>at 1 hardpoint concentrate can do the job and it's only 2 mana so you
>don't need leech, and your defense raise so the chance for you getting
>hitted is lower.

My IK Barb has maxed WW, BO, and Concentrate, and I'm currently finalizing
Mace Mastery. But for the Frenzytaurs I mentioned Concentrate is not an
option, especially when surrounded by a few of them. Berserk (I put 1
point there) works wonders on them, but when Berserkign you definately do
NOT want to be dealing with more than one...

Perhaps I should pack more elemental damage charms, and also swap out the
Poison damage charms I have, because poison simply is too slow...

>> Also, I'm more and more finding out I need Cannot Be Frozen from
>> somewhere; I think with the full IK set, the only way I can get it, is
>> from Ravenfrost. Or am I missing something?
>
>Iirc cbf only comes on uniques and runewords and since all you have left
>is amu and rings and cbf doesn't spawn on any unique amu you only choice
>is ravenfrost.

OK, it's either Ravenfrost or a Cham. Since I'm not exactly swimming in
Chams, Ravenfrost it's going to be. Now to acquire one. ;)

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> [snip]
>
> My IK Barb has maxed WW, BO, and Concentrate, and I'm currently finalizing
> Mace Mastery. But for the Frenzytaurs I mentioned Concentrate is not an
> option, especially when surrounded by a few of them. Berserk (I put 1
> point there) works wonders on them, but when Berserkign you definately do
> NOT want to be dealing with more than one...
>
> Perhaps I should pack more elemental damage charms, and also swap out the
> Poison damage charms I have, because poison simply is too slow...
>
> [snip]

If i'm not mistaken you uses highlord's amu and that one combined with
full ik shout give you level 7 battle cry.
That lower enemy defense with 62% which maen with max concentrate and a
good deal mace mastery you will have 95% chance to hit. It also lowers
enemy damage with 31%, that combined with ~14k defense with you use
concentrate will have them miss a lot and when the hit you their damage
will be very limited. and even if they are both PI and FI you will still
do around 1k elemental damage.
I must admit i don't find them hard to kill.
And of course you have a level 7 howl to send them out running to take
one on one.

--
Sonni
-=-=-

[snip]
>> Iirc cbf only comes on uniques and runewords and since all you have left
>> is amu and rings and cbf doesn't spawn on any unique amu you only choice
>> is ravenfrost.
>
> OK, it's either Ravenfrost or a Cham. Since I'm not exactly swimming in
> Chams, Ravenfrost it's going to be. Now to acquire one. ;)
[snip]

*Offers free RavenFrost to Patrick Vervoorn if his character is in
Europe-Ladder-SC-LoD*

In article <f64fe.12407$a9.5136@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
>[snip]
>>> Iirc cbf only comes on uniques and runewords and since all you have left
>>> is amu and rings and cbf doesn't spawn on any unique amu you only choice
>>> is ravenfrost.
>>
>> OK, it's either Ravenfrost or a Cham. Since I'm not exactly swimming in
>> Chams, Ravenfrost it's going to be. Now to acquire one. ;)
>[snip]
>
>*Offers free RavenFrost to Patrick Vervoorn if his character is in
>Europe-Ladder-SC-LoD*

Now that's a mighty nice offer! I'd be happy to accept this offer. You can
reach me via *PatrickV1, or *PatrickV2.

Regards,

Patrick.

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:f71f$427e0aea$82a1d3bf$11292@news2.tudelft.nl...
> In article <f64fe.12407$a9.5136@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
> >[snip]
> >>
> >> OK, it's either Ravenfrost or a Cham. Since I'm not exactly swimming in
> >> Chams, Ravenfrost it's going to be. Now to acquire one. ;)
> >[snip]
> >
> >*Offers free RavenFrost to Patrick Vervoorn if his character is in
> >Europe-Ladder-SC-LoD*
>
> Now that's a mighty nice offer! I'd be happy to accept this offer. You can
> reach me via *PatrickV1, or *PatrickV2.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

NP -=- I enjoy reading your "IK Barb's adventures" from time to time ;)

In article <427bcfdf$0$303$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:

[snip]

>If i'm not mistaken you uses highlord's amu and that one combined with
>full ik shout give you level 7 battle cry.
>That lower enemy defense with 62% which maen with max concentrate and a
>good deal mace mastery you will have 95% chance to hit. It also lowers
>enemy damage with 31%, that combined with ~14k defense with you use
>concentrate will have them miss a lot and when the hit you their damage
>will be very limited. and even if they are both PI and FI you will still
>do around 1k elemental damage.
>I must admit i don't find them hard to kill.
>And of course you have a level 7 howl to send them out running to take
>one on one.

Yeah, the above are Barb-specific tactics I didn't try yet, simply because
I didn't need them until Act V Hell. Everything up till now was easily
defeatable using just WW, and perhaps Concentrate when mana ran out...

It seems I'll have to define a few more hotkeys and see what I can do. :)

Anyhow, having rechecked it, my elemental damage charms setup is rather
oriented towards poison damage (several 175 psn lc's, and few 100 psn
sc's f.i.), but this simply is too slow...

Regards,

Patrick.

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
> "Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> message news:f71f$427e0aea$82a1d3bf$11292@news2.tudelft.nl...
> > In article <f64fe.12407$a9.5136@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> > Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
> > >[snip]
> left
> choice

> > >[snip]
> > >
> > >*Offers free RavenFrost to Patrick Vervoorn if his character is in
> > >Europe-Ladder-SC-LoD*
> >
> > Now that's a mighty nice offer! I'd be happy to accept this offer. You
can
> > reach me via *PatrickV1, or *PatrickV2.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Patrick.
>
> NP -=- I enjoy reading your "IK Barb's adventures" from time to time ;)

What time (and timezone) will you next be in D2?

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <427bcfdf$0$303$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>,
> Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>If i'm not mistaken you uses highlord's amu and that one combined with
>>full ik shout give you level 7 battle cry.
>>That lower enemy defense with 62% which maen with max concentrate and a
>>good deal mace mastery you will have 95% chance to hit. It also lowers
>>enemy damage with 31%, that combined with ~14k defense with you use
>>concentrate will have them miss a lot and when the hit you their damage
>>will be very limited. and even if they are both PI and FI you will still
>>do around 1k elemental damage.
>>I must admit i don't find them hard to kill.
>>And of course you have a level 7 howl to send them out running to take
>>one on one.
>

> Yeah, the above are Barb-specific tactics I didn't try yet, simply because
> I didn't need them until Act V Hell. Everything up till now was easily
> defeatable using just WW, and perhaps Concentrate when mana ran out...
>
> It seems I'll have to define a few more hotkeys and see what I can do. :)
>
> Anyhow, having rechecked it, my elemental damage charms setup is rather
> oriented towards poison damage (several 175 psn lc's, and few 100 psn
> sc's f.i.), but this simply is too slow...

Battle Cry are for a barb what static field for a sorc, amp dam/decrep
for necro, CoS for assa's :)

Use it and you will learn to love it :)

--
Sonni
-=-=-

In article <egqfe.22598$a9.13943@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
>"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message

>> NP -=- I enjoy reading your "IK Barb's adventures" from time to time ;)
>
>What time (and timezone) will you next be in D2?

My "IK Barb's Adventures" aren't _that_ exciting, but great to hear
someone enjoys them.. :)

I think I can be online this evening; maybe for a short while from about
18:30-18:15, and for sure later that same evening, after about 21:15. All
times GMT+1.

message news:294b3$427f1350$82a1d3bf$22861@news2.tudelft.nl...
> In article <egqfe.22598$a9.13943@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
> >"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
>
> >> NP -=- I enjoy reading your "IK Barb's adventures" from time to time ;)
> >
> >What time (and timezone) will you next be in D2?
>
> My "IK Barb's Adventures" aren't _that_ exciting, but great to hear
> someone enjoys them.. :)
>
> I think I can be online this evening; maybe for a short while from about
> 18:30-18:15, and for sure later that same evening, after about 21:15. All
> times GMT+1.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

Please log into chat or a game... I cant chat you if you leave it on normal
screen from when you first enter :¬/

> "Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> message news:294b3$427f1350$82a1d3bf$22861@news2.tudelft.nl...
> > In article <egqfe.22598$a9.13943@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> > Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
> > >"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message

> > >What time (and timezone) will you next be in D2?
> >
> > My "IK Barb's Adventures" aren't _that_ exciting, but great to hear
> > someone enjoys them.. :)
> >
> > I think I can be online this evening; maybe for a short while from about
> > 18:30-18:15, and for sure later that same evening, after about 21:15.
All
> > times GMT+1.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Patrick.
>
> Please log into chat or a game... I cant chat you if you leave it on
normal
> screen from when you first enter :¬/

Grrrr....
I saw you but you weren't in a game OR in chat so couldn't get a whisper
through to you :¬/
Np... just come to channel "Public chat agd2" and I'll see you sometime
(Logged in via Telnet) :¬/

In article <o8Pfe.58815$Cq2.54652@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:

>Grrrr....
>I saw you but you weren't in a game OR in chat so couldn't get a whisper
>through to you :¬/
>Np... just come to channel "Public chat agd2" and I'll see you sometime
>(Logged in via Telnet) :¬/

Yes, I know, I'm terribly sorry... I was logged in, but had to go
somewhere else. Also, I recently had a broken videocard in my mule-pc, but
Diablo 2 on that machine now is flickering like mad...

Trying out new drivers, looking for solutions, because this seems to be a
known problemen with Diablo 2 and GeForce 4 FX5200 cards... :(

Regards,

Patrick.

Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:

>Grrrr....
>I saw you but you weren't in a game OR in chat so couldn't get a whisper
>through to you :¬/
>Np... just come to channel "Public chat agd2" and I'll see you sometime
>(Logged in via Telnet) :¬/

Thank you very much for the Ravenfrost; it replaced the rare ring he was
wearing. I lost 8% LL due to that, but I think the Cannot Be Frozen + AR
bonus + cold damage + cold absorb + 40 mana more than makes up for that.

That was a mighty nice Necromancer you entered the game with; I saw a
Fanaticism aura. Very nice (though a tad expensive..? :)

I presume that was due to a Beast runeworded weapon; what did you put
Beast in, and how do you (and the skellies of course ;) like it?

message news:4e2bb$428079a9$82a1d3bf$14026@news2.tudelft.nl...
> In article <o8Pfe.58815$Cq2.54652@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
>
> >Grrrr....
> >I saw you but you weren't in a game OR in chat so couldn't get a whisper
> >through to you :¬/
> >Np... just come to channel "Public chat agd2" and I'll see you sometime
> >(Logged in via Telnet) :¬/
>
> Thank you very much for the Ravenfrost; it replaced the rare ring he was
> wearing. I lost 8% LL due to that, but I think the Cannot Be Frozen + AR
> bonus + cold damage + cold absorb + 40 mana more than makes up for that.
>
> That was a mighty nice Necromancer you entered the game with; I saw a
> Fanaticism aura. Very nice (though a tad expensive..? :)
>
> I presume that was due to a Beast runeworded weapon; what did you put
> Beast in, and how do you (and the skellies of course ;) like it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

I've not played D2 in a about a week or more so cant remember but I THINK
the beast runeword is in a 15% ED warscepter. I've had it a long time now
though so cant remember what (if any) skills were on it before making for
necro but they dont really matter anyways as they'd be pally ones ;¬)

I used to do MFing all day a while ago but since getting Guildwars... D2
makes me bored too fast :¬/

Maybe its just the adventure in playing a new game and it'll wear off... I
dunno *shrug*
D2 is the game I always keep comming back to anyways... I just like to have
a fling sometimes and D2 is understanding when I crawl back into bed with it
;¬)

In article <gdhge.61935$Cq2.55211@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:4e2bb$428079a9$82a1d3bf$14026@news2.tudelft.nl...

[snip]

>> That was a mighty nice Necromancer you entered the game with; I saw a
>> Fanaticism aura. Very nice (though a tad expensive..? :)
>>
>> I presume that was due to a Beast runeworded weapon; what did you put
>> Beast in, and how do you (and the skellies of course ;) like it?
>
>I've not played D2 in a about a week or more so cant remember but I THINK
>the beast runeword is in a 15% ED warscepter. I've had it a long time now
>though so cant remember what (if any) skills were on it before making for
>necro but they dont really matter anyways as they'd be pally ones ;¬)

;) I was just curious as to how it worked; I don't have the runes for
Beast (perhaps I can get that Ber with another all-out Ist->HR exchange),
but I'm not sure I'd gain much over the current setup, where I'm wielding
an Isted Arm of King Leoric: I will lose some skellies, the nice +mana
mods from the Arm, and the MF from the Ist.

>I used to do MFing all day a while ago but since getting Guildwars... D2
>makes me bored too fast :¬/

You did your MF-ing with a necromancer? What's the rest of his setup, I'm
curious, because my main MF-char is also a summoning necro...

>Maybe its just the adventure in playing a new game and it'll wear off... I
>dunno *shrug*
>D2 is the game I always keep comming back to anyways... I just like to have
>a fling sometimes and D2 is understanding when I crawl back into bed with it
>;¬)

As you remark yourself, I've seen a lot of people leave D2, and return to
it a few weeks/months later... ;)

Patrick.

In article <nY1he.75049$Cq2.56190@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:8b833$42829b98$82a1d3bf$6510@news1.tudelft.nl...

>(200 + 93)% dmg but add that with +29% attack speed and it works-out quite
>nice... even for just boosting your merc ;)

It sounds nice. The bow-fana is higher level, so that'd probably be
better. But on a rogue there's no way to get might... Hmm. :)

>> Still, if I'm really swimming in runes, I might try on a Beast weapon to
>> see what happens (or get a Rogue merc, and equip her with the Fana bow
>> runeword, or a barb, with last wish for might there... :)
>>
>> One can always dream... :)
>
>The only "Expensive" rune in Beast is Ber... which you can buy for just 6x
>Ist ;)
>(40 pGems = Um)

Yes, I know, and I did just that to finally get a Ber and a Jah, to make
Enigma. But that more or less drained my complete supply of Ists. So I
don't think I have the 6 Ists for Ber, and more importantly, the
motivation to try out Beast. Nice to have, probably, but not essential.

And if I want to do Beast right, I should put it in a multi-purpose
weapon, which means an expensive 5 socket elite scepter with important
+skills, so a Pally can use one.

Are the other skills (Werebear and Lycanthropy) of any use for a necro? Or
a pally for that matter?

>> >My MF hammerdin has about 12k damage, 12k defense, max resists in hell,
>> >around 500% MF, Max (75) resists (85 on lightning), 10-20 absorb on all
>> >elemental damage AND teleport.
>> >(Using Enigma, Hoto, Zakarum(Um), Coa(2x pTopaz), etc)
>>
>> The 500 is with the MF gear (Isted Crystal Sword + Monarch) swapped in?
>
>Yes.

My summoning necro has about 400%MF, with just his plain gear. Now that I
have teleport on enigma, I could (should, actually!) replace his weapon
switch (a Naj's Puzzler at the moment) for something more useful. A
6-Isted Crystal Sword + 4 Isted Monarch is a bit too expensive for my
liking, but I could opt for a Blade of Ali Baba and a shield with some MF.

Any other ideas for a necro's weapon switch, besides the above? :)

>> Errr, you're talking about WoW, because I totally lost you in the previous
>> paragraph.. ;)
>
>Nope... GuildWars (refered to in previous post within this thread that you
>answered just before ;)

My apologies; I was (incorrectly) assuming you switched to WoW, because I
see a lot of D2 regulars (especially in the trade forums) switch to WoW.
And later on return. ;)

Anyway, hope you like it! :)

Regards,

Patrick.