Installing Linux

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I've looked up tons of websites saying to install Linux, and they all say to make it an .ISO file. So, I burnt them as an .ISO image on cd's. I don't get how it works from there. I restart the computer with disk in drive...so I guess .ISO's aren't boot disks, and it won't open with computer. So do you burn it as a bootable disk?

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
GeForce Verto FX5200 128mb DDR
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB, Stock 40gb
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW
Go EMachines...:(

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can't just burn the .iso to the cd... sorta. If you open the cd in windows and see something.iso there you did it wrong. You have to burn it as an image. Depending on what program you're using to burn it may be slightly different but generally there is an option somewhere that says "burn cd from cd image". Find and use that to burn the cd.

For example with roxio easy cd creator 6 it's in file/record disc from image.

When the burn is complete open up my computer and double click on your cd drive. You should either get an autorun screen, or you will be able to see a bunch of folders and files on the cd in explorer. Just reboot and you're good to go :)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
or in nero6 it is:

Recorder->Burn Image

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
what i'm trying to install is yarrow-binary-i386-iso...i'm not sure what that is but i think i already burned it as an iso image, and i get a hole bunch of files that come up, but i don't which one you use to install linux...? :S

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
GeForce Verto FX5200 128mb DDR
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB, Stock 40gb
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW
Go EMachines...:(

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, so you have your files that come up. That's good. Put the cd in the drive, reboot, go into your BIOS and make sure your computer is set to boot from the cd drive first. When that's done, just restart the computer and you should boot from the cd. The install program will come up automatically if there is one.

I don't know anything about yarrow linux, but just going from the filename it sounds like it should have an install program and put all the files you need on your computer. If not, then it's probably an ftp install distro, and you'll need their install guide to get going.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.