ATI vs nvidia output signal

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
I just switched from an ATI 7000 to an Inno3d Ti4200. The 4200 performance is great but man is the TV out signal lame. The ATI TV out image was perfect but the 4200 produces a heavily flickered image no matter the flicker filter setting. I have to convert from s-video to composite with either card since my TV only accepts composite. Unfortunately the TV is 50ft away which probably doesn't help matters, but like I said the ATI worked fine. Any insights to remedy this are welcome. Thank you.

John A

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Learn to live with it, nVidia cards normally use very cheap TV-out encoder chips.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I hate to disappoint, but my leadtek required TV-Tool to get the pic at full width, and that required the monitor to be set at only 30Hz!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it depends on the manuf, some use better quality components than others, generally the more U pay the better quality bits will be used in the card...

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
What exact leadtek product do you have? I got a leadtek GF3 the second it came out, so I have one of their first (prolly earlier revision than most). It works wonderfully. As for modding, I meant possibly changing out the adapter, but u'd have to be really familiar with the circuitry, etc.

What if you had admin rights to life?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I sold it last year, a GeForce 2 GTS. I sold it because, compared to my Radeon LE TVO, it sucked. It was a little faster in DX7 games though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to go by the TV-Out encoder chip, not the card. Most of these chips were made by chrontel or BT I believe, both being of low quality. I could be mistaken as to the names of the manufacturer.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Does the encoder chip vary as Ti4200 manufacturer varies?
I bought the Inno3d because it was one of the two Ti4200 makers I could find that advertised TVO res of 1024x768, so I was hoping to get better picture quality since they went to the trouble to provide 1024x768. Bad assumption apparently.

John A

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I havent gotten a card w/ TV-Out since my TNT2-Ultra(I think it was ultra).....Was a diamond card. I had TV out on my first TNT also, but didnt learn from that. They both SUCKED, so I stayed away from cards w/ TV out since then. Although I have heard good things about the ATi TV-Out quality, so I may go that route in the future.

[-peep-].

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My old ATI card has kick butt TV-Out, but because it's so old, I'm limited to 840x768 resolution or something similar when using it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are different models and manufacturers used depending on the card brand and model.

TRENDING THREADS