Assassin shadow master disappearing (dies?)

I'm playing on Hell single player, and sometimes, for no apparent reason
my Shadow Master (assassin's tank) just goes away. I think it's a bug in
Diablo II related to moving fast and the Shadow Master can't keep up.
It's annoying and I'd like to figure out how to avoid this.

It also happens sometimes with the Valkyrie on my Amazon.

Or do they just have some random life-span, after which it requires that
you recast them?
--
Help fight spam by "educating" the lax, zombie-hosting ISPs:
http://pages.infinit.net/filmore/educateYourISP.htm

"Cris Fuhrman" <filmore@bigSANS_SPAMfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm playing on Hell single player, and sometimes, for no apparent reason
> my Shadow Master (assassin's tank) just goes away. I think it's a bug in
> Diablo II related to moving fast and the Shadow Master can't keep up.
> It's annoying and I'd like to figure out how to avoid this.
>
> It also happens sometimes with the Valkyrie on my Amazon.
>
> Or do they just have some random life-span, after which it requires that
> you recast them?

I don't know if this is actually what's going on, but when I notice this
happening it's because I'm moving fast in one direction and my
shadow/valk/golem/other minion spots an enemy in the other direction. Then
the minion moves to engage the enemy and gets too far away from me and
disappears.

With the assassin you can help prevent this by using the Dragon Flight skill
occasionally. That will teleport your minion (and merc) to you.

--- Hacksaw

Cris Fuhrman wrote:
> I'm playing on Hell single player, and sometimes, for no apparent
> reason my Shadow Master (assassin's tank) just goes away. I think
> it's a bug in Diablo II related to moving fast and the Shadow Master
> can't keep up. It's annoying and I'd like to figure out how to avoid
> this.
> It also happens sometimes with the Valkyrie on my Amazon.
>
> Or do they just have some random life-span, after which it requires
> that you recast them?

I think they sometimes just get "lost", like you say. They evidently don't
have the same movement routines that mercs do. Same thing happens on bnet.
Like Hacksaw says, probably the easiest remedy is regular use of Dragon
Flight just to keep your little group nice and cozy--which is a good thing
to do anyway, even if the master *didn't* have the disappearing problem.

Oh, and regarding your last question, if they *do* have a random life span
it can be a hellaciously long one, because I've occasionally kept a master
going for hours.

--
chainbreaker

"Cris Fuhrman" <filmore@bigSANS_SPAMfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm playing on Hell single player, and sometimes, for no apparent reason
> my Shadow Master (assassin's tank) just goes away. I think it's a bug in
> Diablo II related to moving fast and the Shadow Master can't keep up.
> It's annoying and I'd like to figure out how to avoid this.
>
> It also happens sometimes with the Valkyrie on my Amazon.
>
> Or do they just have some random life-span, after which it requires that
> you recast them?

Occasionally they will just disappear. I have even had it happen in town. No
poison damage, they just go poof while repairing or moving things to the
stash. This even happens with a lvl 30 master, so it isn't just something
that happens when you change gear from buffing gear to combat gear.

"Cris Fuhrman" <filmore@bigSANS_SPAMfoot.com> wrote in message
> I'm playing on Hell single player, and sometimes, for no apparent reason
> my Shadow Master (assassin's tank) just goes away. I think it's a bug in
> Diablo II related to moving fast and the Shadow Master can't keep up.
> It's annoying and I'd like to figure out how to avoid this.
>
> It also happens sometimes with the Valkyrie on my Amazon.
>
> Or do they just have some random life-span, after which it requires that
> you recast them?
> --
> Help fight spam by "educating" the lax, zombie-hosting ISPs:
> http://pages.infinit.net/filmore/educateYourISP.htm

You will also experiance this problem with Necro revives...
....let them go too far away from you and they will disappear.

In the case of a Necro, the only way to make them "Catch-up" is to use
Teleport from Enigma :¬/

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> Trammel wrote:
> > "Cris Fuhrman" <filmore@bigSANS_SPAMfoot.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm playing on Hell single player, and sometimes, for no apparent
> >> reason my Shadow Master (assassin's tank) just goes away. I think
> >> it's a bug in Diablo II related to moving fast and the Shadow Master
> >> can't keep up. It's annoying and I'd like to figure out how to avoid
> >> this.
> >>
> >> It also happens sometimes with the Valkyrie on my Amazon.
> >>
> >> Or do they just have some random life-span, after which it requires
> >> that you recast them?
> >> --
> >> Help fight spam by "educating" the lax, zombie-hosting ISPs:
> >> http://pages.infinit.net/filmore/educateYourISP.htm
> >
> > You will also experiance this problem with Necro revives...
> > ...let them go too far away from you and they will disappear.
> >
> > In the case of a Necro, the only way to make them "Catch-up" is to use
> > Teleport from Enigma :¬/
>
> All my necros teleport and none of them have Enigma, I can't 'afford' it.
>
> I use Spellsteel or Naj's Puzzler on switch for the teleport charges.
Reallt
> cool for 'telekills' Baal lasts less than half the time he normally would.
> --
> ~misfit~

I dont use any items with charges as it costs too much to repair and I
constantly have no gold... or need to waste time finding runes.

I'd much rather trade Ist's for Jah and/or Ber then make Enigma. This then
also means my necro can tele to Baal, etc and doesn't have to waste time
walking there (Which is always good :)