Linksys and Dell 510m Mini PCI card

AndrewW

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002

Hi - I have a small network of 2 pc's which runs off a Linksys wired router
(BEFSR41) attached to a broadband modem. Attached to this sits a Linksys
Wireless access point (WAP54g) . I have an ancient Compaq laptop with a
Linksys card which links with the main wired network through the WAP.

My problem comes with the brand new Dell 510m laptop I have just bought. I
paid an extra £20 for a Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WLAN mini PCI card
(made by Broadcom). The network connection recognises the existence of the
wireless LAN and I filled in the details it requested as best I could. The
problem arises when I enter the WEP code. I receive the following message:

"The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
network confifguration. This can be entered as 13 ASCII characters or 10 or
26 hexadecimal characters".

Obviously the network fails to see the other PC's on the network and I can't
log onto the internet, even though it appears to realise a wireless network
exists.

I had set my Linksys WAP with 64bit encryption.

I also tried installing the Linkys PCMIA card in the Dell laptop with, I
think, the same result...odd! Tried in different parts of the building, even
next to the WAP box.... no joy.

Also, I have tried assigning an IP address of 192.168.1.20 as the 3 other
PC's all have their own IP addresses. This made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong??? What does it all
mean???

Any ideas/help appreciated!

Cheers

Andrew

redd

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

I might be i wrong but i don't think you can have wap and wep at the same
time. Try all wep or all wap. And if you have a mixed enviroment a,b,g ect.
the router should be set to allow a mixed enviroment.

"andreww" <andreww@fake.com> wrote in message
> Hi - I have a small network of 2 pc's which runs off a Linksys wired
> router
> (BEFSR41) attached to a broadband modem. Attached to this sits a Linksys
> Wireless access point (WAP54g) . I have an ancient Compaq laptop with a
> Linksys card which links with the main wired network through the WAP.
>
> My problem comes with the brand new Dell 510m laptop I have just bought.
> paid an extra £20 for a Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WLAN mini PCI
> card
> (made by Broadcom). The network connection recognises the existence of
> the
> wireless LAN and I filled in the details it requested as best I could.
> The
> problem arises when I enter the WEP code. I receive the following message:
>
> "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
> network confifguration. This can be entered as 13 ASCII characters or 10
> or
> 26 hexadecimal characters".
>
> Obviously the network fails to see the other PC's on the network and I
> can't
> log onto the internet, even though it appears to realise a wireless
> network
> exists.
>
> I had set my Linksys WAP with 64bit encryption.
>
> I also tried installing the Linkys PCMIA card in the Dell laptop with, I
> think, the same result...odd! Tried in different parts of the building,
> even
> next to the WAP box.... no joy.
>
> Also, I have tried assigning an IP address of 192.168.1.20 as the 3 other
> PC's all have their own IP addresses. This made no difference.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong??? What does it all
> mean???
>
> Any ideas/help appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andrew

Are you sure that you are entering the same WEP for each computer? Often
the software shipped with a card will generate the 40/64 bit key from a
pass-phrase that you enter. All the machines must have the same actual key
for the network to function.

--
Bob Horton
"redd" <redd@hotmale.com> wrote in message news:Sn2Cc.25$iU6.1@fed1read03...
> I might be i wrong but i don't think you can have wap and wep at the same
> time. Try all wep or all wap. And if you have a mixed enviroment a,b,g
ect.
> the router should be set to allow a mixed enviroment.
>
> "andreww" <andreww@fake.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - I have a small network of 2 pc's which runs off a Linksys wired
> > router
> > (BEFSR41) attached to a broadband modem. Attached to this sits a
Linksys
> > Wireless access point (WAP54g) . I have an ancient Compaq laptop with a
> > Linksys card which links with the main wired network through the WAP.
> >
> > My problem comes with the brand new Dell 510m laptop I have just bought.
> > paid an extra £20 for a Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WLAN mini PCI
> > card
> > (made by Broadcom). The network connection recognises the existence of
> > the
> > wireless LAN and I filled in the details it requested as best I could.
> > The
> > problem arises when I enter the WEP code. I receive the following
message:

> > "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
> > network confifguration. This can be entered as 13 ASCII characters or
10
> > or
> > 26 hexadecimal characters".
> >
> > Obviously the network fails to see the other PC's on the network and I
> > can't
> > log onto the internet, even though it appears to realise a wireless
> > network
> > exists.
> >
> > I had set my Linksys WAP with 64bit encryption.
> >
> > I also tried installing the Linkys PCMIA card in the Dell laptop with, I
> > think, the same result...odd! Tried in different parts of the building,
> > even
> > next to the WAP box.... no joy.
> >
> > Also, I have tried assigning an IP address of 192.168.1.20 as the 3
other
> > PC's all have their own IP addresses. This made no difference.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong??? What does it all
> > mean???
> >
> > Any ideas/help appreciated!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Andrew

AndrewW

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002

I found the solution... I made an error in the key!

Duh!

Well, I learn't a fair amount along the way.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew