Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best use of a Gul rune?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 10, 2005 5:30:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that it's
worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
USEast HCL.

More about : gul rune

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:36:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <WH2ge.482$Lu6.139@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
>fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
>available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
>complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that it's
>worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
>USEast HCL.

Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.

I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a Vex.
Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be used in
many other runewords.

I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for another
Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!

Regards,

Patrick.
May 10, 2005 7:36:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Thanks, that's about what I had concluded. From your experience, is it true
that a Gul is traded at roughly Ist+something? Again, this is HCL.

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:496b3$4280b8f0$82a1d3bf$19734@news2.tudelft.nl...
> In article <WH2ge.482$Lu6.139@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
> >fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
> >available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes
to
> >complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that
it's
> >worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
> >USEast HCL.
>
> Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.
>
> I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a Vex.
> Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
> 'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be used in
> many other runewords.
>
> I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for another
> Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 9:57:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <Tc4ge.569$1A6.242@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:

[Quoting fixed, could you please bottom-post in the future?]

>> Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.
>>
>> I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a Vex.
>> Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
>> 'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be used in
>> many other runewords.
>>
>> I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for another
>> Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!
>
>Thanks, that's about what I had concluded. From your experience, is it true
>that a Gul is traded at roughly Ist+something? Again, this is HCL.

You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather 'strange'.
As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.

A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for a
standard price of 6 Ists.

Regards,

Patrick.
May 10, 2005 9:57:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:687a7$4280d9da$82a1d3bf$12489@news1.tudelft.nl...
> In article <Tc4ge.569$1A6.242@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> [Quoting fixed, could you please bottom-post in the future?]
>
> >> Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.
> >>
> >> I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a
Vex.
> >> Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
> >> 'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be used
in
> >> many other runewords.
> >>
> >> I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for another
> >> Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!
> >
> >Thanks, that's about what I had concluded. From your experience, is it
true
> >that a Gul is traded at roughly Ist+something? Again, this is HCL.
>
> You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
> understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather 'strange'.
> As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.
>
> A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
> But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for a
> standard price of 6 Ists.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:30:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

doodles wrote:
> I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?
>

High runes.
Can't remember if it's from OHM and up or LO and up.

--
Sonni
-=-=-
Assembler Command: GCC 2.0 is to C as SVR4 is to Unix.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:49:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <CZ4ge.787$j17.271@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:687a7$4280d9da$82a1d3bf$12489@news1.tudelft.nl...

[Quoting fixed again, so I will repeat my request for bottom-posting
again, and also do it below in case you don't read/see this..]

>> You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
>> understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather 'strange'.
>> As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.
>>
>> A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
>> But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for a
>> standard price of 6 Ists.
>
>I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?

[Repeated here again, could you please bottom-post, just like I'm doing
here? With that out of the way, I'd be happy to answer your question]

A High Rune. Generally runes from about Ohm - Zod, sometimes Vex is also
included, but since a Vex can be cubed from 4 Ists, it's not traded for
the same value as the higher runes.

Regards,

Patrick.
May 10, 2005 11:20:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:7d849$4280e600$82a1d3bf$13168@news1.tudelft.nl...
> In article <CZ4ge.787$j17.271@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> >message news:687a7$4280d9da$82a1d3bf$12489@news1.tudelft.nl...
>
> [Quoting fixed again, so I will repeat my request for bottom-posting
> again, and also do it below in case you don't read/see this..]
>
> >> You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
> >> understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather
'strange'.
> >> As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.
> >>
> >> A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
> >> But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for
a
> >> standard price of 6 Ists.
> >
> >I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?
>
> [Repeated here again, could you please bottom-post, just like I'm doing
> here? With that out of the way, I'd be happy to answer your question]
>
> A High Rune. Generally runes from about Ohm - Zod, sometimes Vex is also
> included, but since a Vex can be cubed from 4 Ists, it's not traded for
> the same value as the higher runes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my question: why
do people like bottom posting better than top posting? I've always found it
far less convenient...for one thing, Outlook automatically positions my
response at the top, and secondly I have to scroll down past lots of
embedded quotes to get to the reply. I usually remember the essential
content of the original post anyway. With my limited attention span, I
usually want to get right to the meat of the reply, rather than have to
scroll down to get to it. Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious
about bottom- vs. top-posting.

I also noticed that Outlook just made the font smaller when I bottom posted,
too, for completely inexplicable reasons.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

> Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my
> question: why do people like bottom posting better than top posting?
> I've always found it far less convenient...for one thing, Outlook
> automatically positions my response at the top, and secondly I have to
> scroll down past lots of embedded quotes to get to the reply. I
> usually remember the essential content of the original post anyway.
> With my limited attention span, I usually want to get right to the
> meat of the reply, rather than have to scroll down to get to it.
> Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious about bottom- vs.
> top-posting.

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-p...

ALso, I found this in someone;'s sig that I liked:

A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:12:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On East HCL, Gul = Ist+Mal

i have cubed enough Ist runes into Gul, Vex, Ohm (to make sure at least
those are legit)

Clincher

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:CZ4ge.787$j17.271@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?
>
> "Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> message news:687a7$4280d9da$82a1d3bf$12489@news1.tudelft.nl...
> > In article <Tc4ge.569$1A6.242@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
> > doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [Quoting fixed, could you please bottom-post in the future?]
> >
> > >> Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.
> > >>
> > >> I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a
> Vex.
> > >> Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
> > >> 'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be
used
> in
> > >> many other runewords.
> > >>
> > >> I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for
another
> > >> Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!
> > >
> > >Thanks, that's about what I had concluded. From your experience, is it
> true
> > >that a Gul is traded at roughly Ist+something? Again, this is HCL.
> >
> > You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
> > understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather
'strange'.
> > As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.
> >
> > A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
> > But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for a
> > standard price of 6 Ists.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Patrick.
>
>
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:14:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:7d849$4280e600$82a1d3bf$13168@news1.tudelft.nl...

>> [Repeated here again, could you please bottom-post, just like I'm doing
>> here? With that out of the way, I'd be happy to answer your question]
>>
>> A High Rune. Generally runes from about Ohm - Zod, sometimes Vex is also
>> included, but since a Vex can be cubed from 4 Ists, it's not traded for
>> the same value as the higher runes.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Patrick.
>
>Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my question: why
>do people like bottom posting better than top posting? I've always found it
>far less convenient...

Because that's what has been used on UseNet for ages. Also see Marcel's
response as for why it's not that logical to use top-posting: it messes up
the order in which you chronologically read through the past threads.

>for one thing, Outlook automatically positions my
>response at the top, and secondly I have to scroll down past lots of
>embedded quotes to get to the reply. I usually remember the essential
>content of the original post anyway. With my limited attention span, I
>usually want to get right to the meat of the reply, rather than have to
>scroll down to get to it. Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious
>about bottom- vs. top-posting.

First of all, Outlook is an abomination that, just like all the monsters
you encounter in Diablo 2, has to be wiped off the face of the earth. Get
a good news-reader. At least use something like Mozilla Thunderbird
(www.mozilla.org) for something that's better than Outlook.

Or if you want some more possibilities, looks at xnews (www.xnews.com/org,
IIRC).

Secondly, bottom-posting is only the start; it's also very much
appreciated if you trim your posts: i.e., cut out the original material
which is no longer relevant. Which is what I did with this post (compare
the stuff above with the post I reacted to.

So, the correct procedure is: Reply, Trim, Bottom-post. People will like
you much more for it, and you will notice you will get more polite replies
to about any question you post on the UseNet.

>I also noticed that Outlook just made the font smaller when I bottom
>posted, too, for completely inexplicable reasons.

That's Outlook for ya: a totally mysterious program which does whatever it
(or Bill Gates) wants. Switch to something else, your newsreading
experience will improve at lot. See above for some suggestions...

And thanks for taking the effort of bottom-posting, it's much appreciated.
Now to continue on the path of enlightenment! :) 

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:14:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
news:38a9b$4281160d$82a1d3bf$16239@news1.tudelft.nl:

> In article <6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my
>>question: why do people like bottom posting better than top posting?
>>I've always found it far less convenient...
>
> Because that's what has been used on UseNet for ages. Also see
> Marcel's response as for why it's not that logical to use top-posting:
> it messes up the order in which you chronologically read through the
> past threads.

I have to grant him the fact that on a ng such as this, there are very few
threads where top-posting causes great difficulty. This is mainly ecause
most of the threads here are pretty short. Only 10-20% of them (by my WAG)
go longer. On more active ngs, where there are *a lot* of people jumping in
and replying (see rec.pets.dogs.behavior for an example) it is handy.

The ideal way to post is, of course, interspersed.

<snip>
>
> Or if you want some more possibilities, looks at xnews
> (www.xnews.com/org, IIRC).

Nope, got moved to http://xnews.newsguy.com/

And should the OP decide to go with XNews, download and install it from the
download choice (http://xnews.newsguy.com/#download) and then download and
install the latest version (http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/).

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:22:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:WH2ge.482$Lu6.139@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
> fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
> available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
> complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that
it's
> worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
> USEast HCL.
>
>
i found a Gul on US West LSC and was very sad to find it was worth not even
Mal. but in a lucky trade i managed to get a made delerium helm for it(which
is why i wanted to trade down in runes any way) so it was a happy out come
for me
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:29:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Please dont yell at me for this, i use google groups service to post
and it doesnt let me bottom post or top post. Its just a post. without
any context whatever, do i copy paste the earlier posts to sound "in
context"?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:36:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

GrimBold wrote:
> Please dont yell at me for this, i use google groups service to post
> and it doesnt let me bottom post or top post. Its just a post.
without
> any context whatever, do i copy paste the earlier posts to sound "in
> context"?

For asking a question, you will never get yelled at (by me at least).

Hmmm, I replied to your post through Google Groups and it included your
post. I am posting through Google Broups Beta, are you using the
not-beta version perhaps??
May 11, 2005 7:03:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
news:D 5srbs.2eo.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz...
> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> > "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > news:6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:
> >
> >> Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my
> >> question: why do people like bottom posting better than top posting?
> >> I've always found it far less convenient...for one thing, Outlook
> >> automatically positions my response at the top, and secondly I have
> >> to scroll down past lots of embedded quotes to get to the reply. I
> >> usually remember the essential content of the original post anyway.
> >> With my limited attention span, I usually want to get right to the
> >> meat of the reply, rather than have to scroll down to get to it.
> >> Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious about bottom- vs.
> >> top-posting.
> >
> > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-p...
> >
> > ALso, I found this in someone;'s sig that I liked:
> >
> > A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> > Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
> > text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> And another one, refering to doodles comment about Outlook positioning the
> cursor at the top:
>
> "Top posting because that's where the cursor is, is like shitting in your
> pants because that's where your arsehole is".
> --
> ~misfit~
>
>

As you may notice, I have avoided any kind of flaming about this topic, so I
will summarize my preference for top posting without any emotion:
1. I'm lazy - I'd rather not have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the
post if the tool I use positions me at the top
2. I have a short attention span (an in case you're wondering, I'm 51) - I
don't WANT to read the quoted post over and over again, I want to get to the
reply
3. I remember the original content of the post - see #2
4. It seems that people really care about the position of the reply, as
opposed to, say, the content. Or world peace. I care about the content,
period...and world peace is impossible to attain anyway.
5. I have a problem with authority. If someone tells me I have to do
something a particular way, my initial reaction is: "Really? Why?"
Everything else being equal (which is appears to be, in this case) I tend to
do things my way.
6. People in general aren't sequential anyway...at best they are random.
Also, it seems to me that if you need to read through the previous posts to
reconstruct the context of the reply, you have a problem with short-term
memory.

By the way, bottom posting "because that's what has been used on UseNet for
ages" is like thinking Windows is better because more people use it.

Notice, by the way, that I bottom-posted this reply.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:48:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

doodles wrote:
> "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:W8pge.841$1A6.435@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> > news:D 5srbs.2eo.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz...
> > > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> > > > "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > > > news:6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

<edited>

> (here is another
> interesting question: why do men have to remember to put the seat
down, but
> women don't have to remember to put the seat up?)

Well, off the top of my head, I'd say it's probably because the
consequence for we women who forget to look, and the toilet seat is up,
is far more dire. :p 

Jill

Splish splash, I was takin' a bath . . . in the most unusual of places.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:33:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

<marcel.beaudoin@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1115814967.341614.173030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> GrimBold wrote:
> > Please dont yell at me for this, i use google groups service to post
> > and it doesnt let me bottom post or top post. Its just a post.
> > without any context whatever, do i copy paste the earlier posts to
> > sound "in context"?
>
> For asking a question, you will never get yelled at (by me at least).
>
> Hmmm, I replied to your post through Google Groups and it included your
> post. I am posting through Google Broups Beta, are you using the
> not-beta version perhaps??

I think the old Google Groups quoted automatically. I've heard from
other users that the regular reply in GG Beta doesn't quote, but the
one under "show options" does. Might be worth a try.

RelMark
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:04:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

doodles wrote::

> Notice, by the way, that I bottom-posted this reply.

Thank you. You'll get used to it, and maybe discover some of the
benefits on your own :) 

A more philosphical idea: If you know other people appreciate something,
and it doesn't cost you much, do it. Often it pays back, and even if it
doesn't you know you made the others happy. It's a good feeling usually.
:)  And don't forget, peace is a value just by itself.

No, I'm not a teacher or preacherman. I'm just back from a discussion
how to make this world a better place ;) 

--
c.u. Hajo
May 11, 2005 10:35:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:W8pge.841$1A6.435@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:D 5srbs.2eo.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz...
> > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> > > "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > > news:6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:
> > >
<trim - grumble>
> 1. I'm lazy - I'd rather not have to scroll all the way to the bottom of
the
> post if the tool I use positions me at the top

OK, I'm going to try it your way for one WHOLE WEEK, which is roughly 6 1/2
days longer than I try anything else against my original inclination!
Assuming, of course, that I remember...given the fact that my wife informs
me that I can't remember to put the toilet seat down (here is another
interesting question: why do men have to remember to put the seat down, but
women don't have to remember to put the seat up?) there is not much to be
hopeful for here.

My initial "reaction to the reactions" here is that there is nothing
inherently superior about bottom vs. top-posting, it has to do with style
and preference. In Java, there is an ongoing and rather emotional debate
about the location of curly braces, and this reminds me a lot of that
debate.

If I had to guess, I would think that my hardcore laziness will win out in
the end - see embedded quote above. But I'm williing to be surprised.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:36:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

doodles wrote:
> "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:W8pge.841$1A6.435@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
>>news:D 5srbs.2eo.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz...
>>
>>>Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
>>>
>>>>"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>>>news:6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:
>>>>
>
> <trim - grumble>
>
>>1. I'm lazy - I'd rather not have to scroll all the way to the bottom of
>
> the
>
>>post if the tool I use positions me at the top
>
>
> OK, I'm going to try it your way for one WHOLE WEEK, which is roughly 6 1/2
> days longer than I try anything else against my original inclination!
> Assuming, of course, that I remember...given the fact that my wife informs
> me that I can't remember to put the toilet seat down (here is another
> interesting question: why do men have to remember to put the seat down, but
> women don't have to remember to put the seat up?) there is not much to be
> hopeful for here.
>
> My initial "reaction to the reactions" here is that there is nothing
> inherently superior about bottom vs. top-posting, it has to do with style
> and preference. In Java, there is an ongoing and rather emotional debate
> about the location of curly braces, and this reminds me a lot of that
> debate.
>
> If I had to guess, I would think that my hardcore laziness will win out in
> the end - see embedded quote above. But I'm williing to be surprised.
>
>
As far as the laziness is concerned. I use Mozilla Thunderbird to read
the ng's. There is a setting under options that makes the cursor
automaticly start at the bottom of a message when you reply.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:jgsge.909$1A6.895@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

> OK, I'm going to try it your way for one WHOLE WEEK, which is roughly
> 6 1/2 days longer than I try anything else against my original
> inclination!

<Snip>

> If I had to guess, I would think that my hardcore laziness will win
> out in the end - see embedded quote above. But I'm williing to be
> surprised.

This group is rather easygoing for something like that. I don't think that
many people will get too bent out-of-shape about top vs. bottom posting.

In other groups, top-posting would result in you getting killfiled and not
responded to.


--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:47:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Leave it down all the time and see where it gets you! ;-)

~misfit~ wrote:

> doodles wrote:
>
>
>>Assuming, of course, that I remember...given the fact
>>that my wife informs me that I can't remember to put the toilet seat
>>down (here is another interesting question: why do men have to
>>remember to put the seat down, but women don't have to remember to
>>put the seat up?)
>
>
> Ahh, a whole new can of worms! Why indeed do we have to handle the seat that
> they've parked their nether-regions on repeatedly? Surely if you're
> 'dirtying' it more frequently, bacteriologically speaking, you should be the
> one to handle it?
>
> I think the whole onus on the men thing is a hang-over from a different era
> when men opened doors for women and pulled out their dining seats for them.
> A large percentage of women objected to this being 'coddled' so the practice
> was largely halted. However, when it comes to getting their hands dirty
> they're not above indulging in double-standards.
>
> <g>
> --
> ~misfit~
>
>
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:46:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

neithskye wrote:

> Jill
>
> Splish splash, I was takin' a bath . . . in the most unusual of places.
>

And where is that pic?

Bing
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:05:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

doodles wrote:

>I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
>fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
>available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
>complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that it's
>worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
>USEast HCL.
>
I'll second the Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex idea. HOTO is plenty useful and the
other required runes are pretty easy to find.
May 12, 2005 3:40:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Odo Wolbers wrote:
> Maybe you should consider time as a valuable ressource.
>

Naturally.

> I for myself put the latest letter on top of the others, so I can
> easily, without moving too much paper, see the latest update to a
> project.

This may be your preference, but unfortunately this is not proper
netiquette. AGD2 is one of the more tolerant newsgroups. However, that
is no excuse for *intentional disregard* for usenet customs.

>
> Maybe teachers about a better world see that different, but I'm a
> manager.

This does not even make sense. However, as a "manager" (whoop-de-do!)
you should know the importance of group policies. They are there for a
reason, and blatant disregard for them is usually frowned upon.

>
> Therefore I'll put it on top!

Then expect to be repeatedly told that you are wrong.

-Jason
May 12, 2005 7:24:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1115923201.907559.151500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
> Odo Wolbers wrote:
>> Therefore I'll put it on top!
>
> Then expect to be repeatedly told that you are wrong.

Or ignored or killfiled or flamed repeatedly. Considering that usenet is
relatively international it makes it easier for all if one follows a few
simple rules. Having read all the arguments for why to top-post here's the
best answer to why one should not;

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-p...

--
In a World Full of Insanity
Here I Stand.
Sliver
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:20:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Maybe you should consider time as a valuable ressource.

I for myself put the latest letter on top of the others, so I can
easily, without moving too much paper, see the latest update to a
project.

Maybe teachers about a better world see that different, but I'm a
manager.

Therefore I'll put it on top!

--
If you're able to write a better german than me you may raise public
critics about my penglish, but hints via PM are welcome.
--------------------------------
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> doodles wrote::
>
> > Notice, by the way, that I bottom-posted this reply.
>
> Thank you. You'll get used to it, and maybe discover some of the
> benefits on your own :) 
>
> A more philosphical idea: If you know other people appreciate something,
> and it doesn't cost you much, do it. Often it pays back, and even if it
> doesn't you know you made the others happy. It's a good feeling usually.
> :)  And don't forget, peace is a value just by itself.
>
> No, I'm not a teacher or preacherman. I'm just back from a discussion
> how to make this world a better place ;) 
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 9:24:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Read some of it, had read some of it in the past ... this only are
opinions, some partsof / articles are blatantly wrong.

Im around in the nets since 1982. Be assured, nothing is "fixed" in
here, nobody is able to order a way to use the net.

Bye
Odo
--
If you're able to write a better german than me you may raise public
critics about my penglish, but hints via PM are welcome.
--------------------------------
Sliver <SliverREMOVETHIS@personainternet.com> wrote:

> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-p...
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:08:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Tue, 10 May 2005, "doodles" wrote:

>> Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my question: why
>> do people like bottom posting better than top posting?

One reason has to do with the habits of newsreaders: they tend to trim
off a .sig file and everything below it when composing a reply.

My newsreader, Agent, does this.

So if you top-post, and have a .sig that starts with '-- ' (note the
space) then if I reply to you, your .sig and everything below it
(including everything you've replied to) gets trimmed off... complete
loss of context.

>> I've always found it far less convenient...
>> for one thing, Outlook automatically positions my
>> response at the top, and secondly I have to scroll down past lots of
>> embedded quotes to get to the reply.

I've noticed many posters failing to trim quotes. It's 'bad manners to
not trim quotes' per the suggestions documents right along side 'it's
bad manners to top post'.

>> I usually remember the essential
>> content of the original post anyway. With my limited attention span, I
>> usually want to get right to the meat of the reply, rather than have to
>> scroll down to get to it. Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious
>> about bottom- vs. top-posting.

Individual style varies (or it wouldn't be 'individual'). Some folks
are retentive about top-bottom-side-whatever posting. Some folks are
just plain retentive. The top-bottom flame war is idiocy.

>> I also noticed that Outlook just made the font smaller when I bottom posted,
>> too, for completely inexplicable reasons.

There are many reasons I don't use Outlook. This would be one of them
if I tried it.


--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:12:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On 11 May 2005, "neithskye" wrote:

>> doodles wrote:
>> > "doodles" wrote .
>> > > "~misfit~" wrote
>> > > > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
>> > > > > "doodles" wrote
>>
>> <edited>
>>
>> > (here is another interesting question: why do men have to
>> > remember to put the seat down, but women don't have to
>> > remember to put the seat up?)
>>
>> Well, off the top of my head, I'd say it's probably because the
>> consequence for we women who forget to look, and the toilet seat is up,
>> is far more dire. :p 
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> Splish splash, I was takin' a bath . . . in the most unusual of places.

Compare this against us men not remembering to look before peeing... and
the seat was down?

I think we should both be responsible to the other...


--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Brian Brunner wrote:
> On 11 May 2005, "neithskye" wrote:

<edited>

> Compare this against us men not remembering to look before peeing...
and
> the seat was down?
>
> I think we should both be responsible to the other...

I was just being a goof, but you are, of course, correct.

It takes less time to put the seat up/down than it does to nag/hassle
your partner to do the same; a pity so many couples choose the latter.

Jill

As the saying goes, "It's a long walk back to Eden, baby, so don't
sweat the small stuff".
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:33:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"neithskye" <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1116066014.963146.88260@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Brian Brunner wrote:
> > On 11 May 2005, "neithskye" wrote:
>
> <edited>
>
> > Compare this against us men not remembering to look before peeing...
> and
> > the seat was down?
> >
> > I think we should both be responsible to the other...
>
> I was just being a goof, but you are, of course, correct.
>
> It takes less time to put the seat up/down than it does to nag/hassle
> your partner to do the same; a pity so many couples choose the latter.
>
> Jill
>
> As the saying goes, "It's a long walk back to Eden, baby, so don't
> sweat the small stuff".

Oh great... I hope my girlfriend doesn't see this post or she'll start
putting the seat up.... going to the toilet 10mins later and then giving me
hell for not putting it down after too :¬O

I do think however that now women are pushing for too much "equality" and
have alot more benefits then men... and men ofcourse are scared to argue
back & try too hard to "keep the peace".

Anyone with me on starting a mens-rights movement to try and regain equality
for men? - lol
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:45:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"FuManchu" <FuManchu@smellus.net> wrote in message
news:7b75815507si7f6gv615cjmdriuuidd7ps@4ax.com...
> doodles wrote:
>
> >I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
> >fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
> >available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes
to
> >complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that
it's
> >worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
> >USEast HCL.
> >
> I'll second the Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex idea. HOTO is plenty useful and the
> other required runes are pretty easy to find.

Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex ???
!(Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex) ... Gul+Gul+ruby=Vex ;¬)
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:47:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Trammel wrote:

>"FuManchu" <FuManchu@smellus.net> wrote in message
>news:7b75815507si7f6gv615cjmdriuuidd7ps@4ax.com...
>> doodles wrote:
>>
>> >I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
>> >fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
>> >available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes
>to
>> >complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that
>it's
>> >worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
>> >USEast HCL.
>> >
>> I'll second the Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex idea. HOTO is plenty useful and the
>> other required runes are pretty easy to find.
>
>Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex ???
>!(Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex) ... Gul+Gul+ruby=Vex ;¬)
>
Heh, it was supposed to be an arrow, not a backwards greater than or
equal sign.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:58:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:35:59 GMT, "doodles"
<tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>why do men have to remember to put the seat down, but
>women don't have to remember to put the seat up?

The assumption is that the natural state of a toilet seat is to be
down.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:58:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Jack Hollis wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:35:59 GMT, "doodles"
> <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>why do men have to remember to put the seat down, but
>>women don't have to remember to put the seat up?
>
>
> The assumption is that the natural state of a toilet seat is to be
> down.
Most women complain that if the seat is left up and they forget to look,
it would be a messy situation. Well, if the seat should be left down,
then shouldn't the lid also be left down? If the lid is down, they will
have to raise it, if the seat is up they will have to lower it. I guess
the point I am trying to make here is, man or woman, we should all look
before we go. <grin>
!