Best use of a Gul rune?

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that it's
worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
USEast HCL.

In article <WH2ge.482$Lu6.139@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
>fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
>available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
>complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that it's
>worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
>USEast HCL.

Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.

I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a Vex.
Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be used in
many other runewords.

I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for another
Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!

Regards,

Patrick.

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

Thanks, that's about what I had concluded. From your experience, is it true
that a Gul is traded at roughly Ist+something? Again, this is HCL.

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:496b3$4280b8f0$82a1d3bf$19734@news2.tudelft.nl...
> In article <WH2ge.482$Lu6.139@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
> >fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
> >available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes
> >complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that
it's
> >worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
> >USEast HCL.
>
> Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.
>
> I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a Vex.
> Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
> 'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be used in
> many other runewords.
>
> I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for another
> Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

In article <Tc4ge.569$1A6.242@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:

[Quoting fixed, could you please bottom-post in the future?]

>> Yep, a single Gul is rather useless, not many 'hot' runewords use it.
>>
>> I found two Guls from lucky Hell Hellforges, and cubed them both to a Vex.
>> Vex is used in the Heart of the Oak runeword, which is about the
>> 'ultimate' runeword for any caster type character, but can also be used in
>> many other runewords.
>>
>> I suggest you hold on to, do some Hell Hellforges, and hope for another
>> Gul. And never, ever cube up 2 Ists to a Gul!
>
>Thanks, that's about what I had concluded. From your experience, is it true
>that a Gul is traded at roughly Ist+something? Again, this is HCL.

You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather 'strange'.
As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.

A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for a
standard price of 6 Ists.

Regards,

Patrick.

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:687a7$4280d9da$82a1d3bf$12489@news1.tudelft.nl...

doodles wrote:
> I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?

High runes.
Can't remember if it's from OHM and up or LO and up.

--
Sonni
-=-=-

In article <CZ4ge.787$j17.271@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:687a7$4280d9da$82a1d3bf$12489@news1.tudelft.nl...

[Quoting fixed again, so I will repeat my request for bottom-posting
again, and also do it below in case you don't read/see this..]

>> You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
>> understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather 'strange'.
>> As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.
>>
>> A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
>> But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for a
>> standard price of 6 Ists.
>
>I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?

[Repeated here again, could you please bottom-post, just like I'm doing
here? With that out of the way, I'd be happy to answer your question]

A High Rune. Generally runes from about Ohm - Zod, sometimes Vex is also
included, but since a Vex can be cubed from 4 Ists, it's not traded for
the same value as the higher runes.

Regards,

Patrick.

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:7d849$4280e600$82a1d3bf$13168@news1.tudelft.nl...
> In article <CZ4ge.787$j17.271@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> >message news:687a7$4280d9da$82a1d3bf$12489@news1.tudelft.nl...
>
> [Quoting fixed again, so I will repeat my request for bottom-posting
> again, and also do it below in case you don't read/see this..]
>
> >> You're talking about the USEast server, and I only play on Europe. I
> >> understood prices on one (or both) of the US servers are rather
'strange'.
> >> As in, HR's are traded for Ist + something.
> >>
> >> A Gul is still half a Vex, so I expect to get at least Ist+Mal for one.
> >> But this is on SC Eur Ladder, where all the 'real' HR's are traded for
> >> standard price of 6 Ists.
> >
> >I hate to be an idiot...but what's an HR? Hell Rush?
>
> [Repeated here again, could you please bottom-post, just like I'm doing
> here? With that out of the way, I'd be happy to answer your question]
>
> A High Rune. Generally runes from about Ohm - Zod, sometimes Vex is also
> included, but since a Vex can be cubed from 4 Ists, it's not traded for
> the same value as the higher runes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my question: why
do people like bottom posting better than top posting? I've always found it
far less convenient...for one thing, Outlook automatically positions my
response at the top, and secondly I have to scroll down past lots of
embedded quotes to get to the reply. I usually remember the essential
content of the original post anyway. With my limited attention span, I
usually want to get right to the meat of the reply, rather than have to
scroll down to get to it. Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious
about bottom- vs. top-posting.

I also noticed that Outlook just made the font smaller when I bottom posted,
too, for completely inexplicable reasons.

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my
> question: why do people like bottom posting better than top posting?
> I've always found it far less convenient...for one thing, Outlook
> automatically positions my response at the top, and secondly I have to
> scroll down past lots of embedded quotes to get to the reply. I
> usually remember the essential content of the original post anyway.
> With my limited attention span, I usually want to get right to the
> meat of the reply, rather than have to scroll down to get to it.
> Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious about bottom- vs.
> top-posting.

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-posting

ALso, I found this in someone;'s sig that I liked:

A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

On East HCL, Gul = Ist+Mal

i have cubed enough Ist runes into Gul, Vex, Ohm (to make sure at least
those are legit)

Clincher

In article <6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:7d849$4280e600$82a1d3bf$13168@news1.tudelft.nl...

>> [Repeated here again, could you please bottom-post, just like I'm doing
>> here? With that out of the way, I'd be happy to answer your question]
>>
>> A High Rune. Generally runes from about Ohm - Zod, sometimes Vex is also
>> included, but since a Vex can be cubed from 4 Ists, it's not traded for
>> the same value as the higher runes.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Patrick.
>
>Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my question: why
>do people like bottom posting better than top posting? I've always found it
>far less convenient...

Because that's what has been used on UseNet for ages. Also see Marcel's
response as for why it's not that logical to use top-posting: it messes up
the order in which you chronologically read through the past threads.

>for one thing, Outlook automatically positions my
>response at the top, and secondly I have to scroll down past lots of
>embedded quotes to get to the reply. I usually remember the essential
>content of the original post anyway. With my limited attention span, I
>usually want to get right to the meat of the reply, rather than have to
>scroll down to get to it. Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious
>about bottom- vs. top-posting.

First of all, Outlook is an abomination that, just like all the monsters
you encounter in Diablo 2, has to be wiped off the face of the earth. Get
a good news-reader. At least use something like Mozilla Thunderbird
(www.mozilla.org) for something that's better than Outlook.

Or if you want some more possibilities, looks at xnews (www.xnews.com/org,
IIRC).

Secondly, bottom-posting is only the start; it's also very much
appreciated if you trim your posts: i.e., cut out the original material
which is no longer relevant. Which is what I did with this post (compare
the stuff above with the post I reacted to.

So, the correct procedure is: Reply, Trim, Bottom-post. People will like
you much more for it, and you will notice you will get more polite replies
to about any question you post on the UseNet.

>I also noticed that Outlook just made the font smaller when I bottom
>posted, too, for completely inexplicable reasons.

That's Outlook for ya: a totally mysterious program which does whatever it
(or Bill Gates) wants. Switch to something else, your newsreading
experience will improve at lot. See above for some suggestions...

And thanks for taking the effort of bottom-posting, it's much appreciated.
Now to continue on the path of enlightenment! :)

Regards,

Patrick.

> In article <6Q7ge.648$1A6.427@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my
>>question: why do people like bottom posting better than top posting?
>>I've always found it far less convenient...
>
> Because that's what has been used on UseNet for ages. Also see
> Marcel's response as for why it's not that logical to use top-posting:
> it messes up the order in which you chronologically read through the
> past threads.

I have to grant him the fact that on a ng such as this, there are very few
threads where top-posting causes great difficulty. This is mainly ecause
most of the threads here are pretty short. Only 10-20% of them (by my WAG)
go longer. On more active ngs, where there are *a lot* of people jumping in
and replying (see rec.pets.dogs.behavior for an example) it is handy.

The ideal way to post is, of course, interspersed.

<snip>

> Or if you want some more possibilities, looks at xnews
> (www.xnews.com/org, IIRC).

Nope, got moved to http://xnews.newsguy.com/

And should the OP decide to go with XNews, download and install it from the
download choice (http://xnews.newsguy.com/#download) and then download and
install the latest version (http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/).

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

> I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
> fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
> available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
> complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that
it's
> worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
> USEast HCL.

i found a Gul on US West LSC and was very sad to find it was worth not even
Mal. but in a lucky trade i managed to get a made delerium helm for it(which
is why i wanted to trade down in runes any way) so it was a happy out come
for me

Please dont yell at me for this, i use google groups service to post
and it doesnt let me bottom post or top post. Its just a post. without
any context whatever, do i copy paste the earlier posts to sound "in
context"?

GrimBold wrote:
> Please dont yell at me for this, i use google groups service to post
> and it doesnt let me bottom post or top post. Its just a post.
without
> any context whatever, do i copy paste the earlier posts to sound "in
> context"?

For asking a question, you will never get yelled at (by me at least).

Hmmm, I replied to your post through Google Groups and it included your
post. I am posting through Google Broups Beta, are you using the
not-beta version perhaps??

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> > "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >
> >> Since you were very polite and helpful, I'm bottom-posting my
> >> question: why do people like bottom posting better than top posting?
> >> I've always found it far less convenient...for one thing, Outlook
> >> automatically positions my response at the top, and secondly I have
> >> to scroll down past lots of embedded quotes to get to the reply. I
> >> usually remember the essential content of the original post anyway.
> >> With my limited attention span, I usually want to get right to the
> >> meat of the reply, rather than have to scroll down to get to it.
> >> Again, thanks for your help...I was just curious about bottom- vs.
> >> top-posting.
> >
> > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-posting
> >
> > ALso, I found this in someone;'s sig that I liked:
> >
> > A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> > Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
> > text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> And another one, refering to doodles comment about Outlook positioning the
> cursor at the top:
>
> "Top posting because that's where the cursor is, is like shitting in your
> pants because that's where your arsehole is".
> --
> ~misfit~

As you may notice, I have avoided any kind of flaming about this topic, so I
will summarize my preference for top posting without any emotion:
1. I'm lazy - I'd rather not have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the
post if the tool I use positions me at the top
2. I have a short attention span (an in case you're wondering, I'm 51) - I
don't WANT to read the quoted post over and over again, I want to get to the
reply
3. I remember the original content of the post - see #2
4. It seems that people really care about the position of the reply, as
opposed to, say, the content. Or world peace. I care about the content,
period...and world peace is impossible to attain anyway.
5. I have a problem with authority. If someone tells me I have to do
something a particular way, my initial reaction is: "Really? Why?"
Everything else being equal (which is appears to be, in this case) I tend to
do things my way.
6. People in general aren't sequential anyway...at best they are random.
Also, it seems to me that if you need to read through the previous posts to
reconstruct the context of the reply, you have a problem with short-term
memory.

By the way, bottom posting "because that's what has been used on UseNet for
ages" is like thinking Windows is better because more people use it.

Notice, by the way, that I bottom-posted this reply.

doodles wrote:
> "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message

<edited>

> (here is another
> interesting question: why do men have to remember to put the seat
down, but
> women don't have to remember to put the seat up?)

Well, off the top of my head, I'd say it's probably because the
consequence for we women who forget to look, and the toilet seat is up,
is far more dire. :p

Jill

Splish splash, I was takin' a bath . . . in the most unusual of places.

<marcel.beaudoin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> GrimBold wrote:
> > Please dont yell at me for this, i use google groups service to post
> > and it doesnt let me bottom post or top post. Its just a post.
> > without any context whatever, do i copy paste the earlier posts to
> > sound "in context"?
>
> For asking a question, you will never get yelled at (by me at least).
>
> Hmmm, I replied to your post through Google Groups and it included your
> post. I am posting through Google Broups Beta, are you using the
> not-beta version perhaps??

I think the old Google Groups quoted automatically. I've heard from
other users that the regular reply in GG Beta doesn't quote, but the
one under "show options" does. Might be worth a try.

RelMark

doodles wrote::

> Notice, by the way, that I bottom-posted this reply.

Thank you. You'll get used to it, and maybe discover some of the
benefits on your own :)

A more philosphical idea: If you know other people appreciate something,
and it doesn't cost you much, do it. Often it pays back, and even if it
doesn't you know you made the others happy. It's a good feeling usually.
:) And don't forget, peace is a value just by itself.

No, I'm not a teacher or preacherman. I'm just back from a discussion
how to make this world a better place ;)

--
c.u. Hajo

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> > > "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in

<trim - grumble>
> 1. I'm lazy - I'd rather not have to scroll all the way to the bottom of
the
> post if the tool I use positions me at the top

OK, I'm going to try it your way for one WHOLE WEEK, which is roughly 6 1/2
days longer than I try anything else against my original inclination!
Assuming, of course, that I remember...given the fact that my wife informs
me that I can't remember to put the toilet seat down (here is another
interesting question: why do men have to remember to put the seat down, but
women don't have to remember to put the seat up?) there is not much to be
hopeful for here.

My initial "reaction to the reactions" here is that there is nothing
inherently superior about bottom vs. top-posting, it has to do with style
and preference. In Java, there is an ongoing and rather emotional debate
about the location of curly braces, and this reminds me a lot of that
debate.

If I had to guess, I would think that my hardcore laziness will win out in
the end - see embedded quote above. But I'm williing to be surprised.

doodles wrote:
> "doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message

> <trim - grumble>
>
>>1. I'm lazy - I'd rather not have to scroll all the way to the bottom of
>
> the
>
>>post if the tool I use positions me at the top
>

> OK, I'm going to try it your way for one WHOLE WEEK, which is roughly 6 1/2
> days longer than I try anything else against my original inclination!
> Assuming, of course, that I remember...given the fact that my wife informs
> me that I can't remember to put the toilet seat down (here is another
> interesting question: why do men have to remember to put the seat down, but
> women don't have to remember to put the seat up?) there is not much to be
> hopeful for here.
>
> My initial "reaction to the reactions" here is that there is nothing
> inherently superior about bottom vs. top-posting, it has to do with style
> and preference. In Java, there is an ongoing and rather emotional debate
> about the location of curly braces, and this reminds me a lot of that
> debate.
>
> If I had to guess, I would think that my hardcore laziness will win out in
> the end - see embedded quote above. But I'm williing to be surprised.

As far as the laziness is concerned. I use Mozilla Thunderbird to read
the ng's. There is a setting under options that makes the cursor
automaticly start at the bottom of a message when you reply.

> OK, I'm going to try it your way for one WHOLE WEEK, which is roughly
> 6 1/2 days longer than I try anything else against my original
> inclination!

<Snip>

> If I had to guess, I would think that my hardcore laziness will win
> out in the end - see embedded quote above. But I'm williing to be
> surprised.

This group is rather easygoing for something like that. I don't think that
many people will get too bent out-of-shape about top vs. bottom posting.

In other groups, top-posting would result in you getting killfiled and not
responded to.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Leave it down all the time and see where it gets you! ;-)

neithskye wrote:

> Jill
>
> Splish splash, I was takin' a bath . . . in the most unusual of places.

And where is that pic?

Bing

doodles wrote:

>I just found my first Gul rune, lying on the ground in Act 5 Hell after a
>fight in the Frigid Highlands. But in looking at the various runewords
>available, nothing seems that worthwhile, or requires even higher runes to
>complete. What do you recommend for it? In trade, I am thinking that it's
>worth about ist+ um, ist+pul, something like that. By the way, this is
>USEast HCL.

I'll second the Gul+Gul+ruby=>Vex idea. HOTO is plenty useful and the
other required runes are pretty easy to find.