easy way to increase signal reach?

My family just moved into a new, bigger house. Low and behold the trusty
Netgear FM114P router they have doesn't send signal very well to the second
floor. Not sure if it's the way the house is built or what.

What are my options for increasing signal strength easily? Can I buy
another of the exact same router and just have one set to relay a signal or
will that not work?

I'd like to buy something, not build an antenna or something like that if
possible.

Thanks!

Marcus

Marcus Holmes <mholmes@theworld.com> wrote:
> My family just moved into a new, bigger house. Low and behold the trusty
> Netgear FM114P router they have doesn't send signal very well to the second
> floor. Not sure if it's the way the house is built or what.

> What are my options for increasing signal strength easily? Can I buy
> another of the exact same router and just have one set to relay a signal or
> will that not work?

There are relays and bridging devices. You could run one cable to the
other end of the house and install a WAP.

> I'd like to buy something, not build an antenna or something like that if
> possible.

"Build" isn't necessarily that difficult. My house is almost 100 feet
long, and my reflector works just fine with the router at one end, and my
living room couch near the other end.
http://www.freeantennas.com I like the EZ-10.
< http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >

--
---

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:34:03 +0000 (UTC),
dold@easyXwayXt.usenet.us.com wrote:

>"Build" isn't necessarily that difficult. My house is almost 100 feet
>long, and my reflector works just fine with the router at one end, and my
>living room couch near the other end.
>http://www.freeantennas.com I like the EZ-10.
>< http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >
I think my situation is somewhat like yours but I'm not having great
luck at the other end of my house.

Have a Linksys wireless router that I have put the longer Radio Shack
antennas on and have reflectors on each antenna. By the time I am 2/3
of the way across the house my signal strength is down below 30% on my
PDA. Going outside, about 50-60 feet from the antenna I pretty much
lose my signal. No way is it good 100 feet out!

The router sits in a bookcase about five feet off the floor.

I am going to try raisng up to about seven feet off the floor on a
little bracket that will project out from the bookcase.

brian-s-jones-at-comcast.net wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:34:03 +0000 (UTC),
> dold@easyXwayXt.usenet.us.com wrote:

>>"Build" isn't necessarily that difficult. My house is almost 100 feet
>>long, and my reflector works just fine with the router at one end, and my
>>living room couch near the other end.
>>http://www.freeantennas.com I like the EZ-10.
>>< http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >

> I think my situation is somewhat like yours but I'm not having great
> luck at the other end of my house.

Between the bedroom and the living room there are two outside walls around
a deck. There is a sliding glass door off the bedroom, and window in the
living room. I'm not sure how much signal is penetrating the two walls,
verses bouncing around and then through glass.

These are wood walls with wood siding. The house overall is 100'x65'.
My coverage is good almost wherever I want it.
Off to the side of what I think is the pattern of the signal, I have to
make sure I face in the right direction so that the laptop WiFi card is not
blocked by my body. In the living room and kitchen, that doesn't seem to
matter.

--
---