Latitude CPx Laptop Cooling Fan

I've just acquired a Latitude CPx laptop. The cooling fan does not
appear to be working. Some screws are missing, so I know somebody
has been in it before me, so I opened it up, found the cooling fan
properly plugged in.

Is this cooling fan supposed to be operating continuously? OR, just
when a high temperature is reached?

If this fan is supposed to be operating continuously, how ominous is
this failure?

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada

It only runs when it needs to. You can control it using this free utility:

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

You should be able to get a replacement fan on eBay if you need one.

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 04:46:34 GMT, "Bill Joy" <wcjoy@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>It only runs when it needs to.

Thank you, good to know. Nothing in CMOS to suggest this. Now to
find a User Manual somewhere. Could not find it on the Dell site.

> You can control it using this free utility:
>
>http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

Thank you, got it, very much appreciated.

Regards,

Terry