Sorceress cold mastery question and general advice

Hi,

First, I've got a question about the cold mastery skill.

Arreat summit states it reduces the enemies cold resistance, but never
below 0% resistance.

Now I'm pondering about a useful level of cold mastery. My sorceress has
got cold mastery at slvl 12 (with +skills from equipment) which means
-75% cold resistance of enemies.

It seems this brings the resistances of almost all monsters down to 0 or
at least close to 0.

I feel unsure how to go on. Originally I had planned to max cold
mastery, but this seems to be a waste of skill points? My sorceress is
using frozen orb, maxed. I could spend points on the only synergy to
frozen orb, ice bolt. But it's only 2% enhanced cold damage. Not very
tempting.

I could try to improve static field, enhancing it's range.

This is basically a dual element sorceress, fire wall and frozen orb as
main spells. There isn't much to do about fire wall, it's maxed already
and fire mastery soon will be maxed. The question is how to spend the
rest of the skill points:

The build so far:

Frost Nova: 1
Ice bolt: 1
Ice blast: 1
Glacial spike: 1
Blizzard: 1
Frozen orb: 20
Cold mastery: 8

Inferno: 1
Blaze: 1
Fire wall: 20
Fire mastery: 15

Static field: 1
Telekinesis: 1
Teleport: 1

Any suggestions how to go on?

--
c.u. Hajo

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> First, I've got a question about the cold mastery skill.
>
> Arreat summit states it reduces the enemies cold resistance, but
never
> below 0% resistance.

Not sure where you saw that as I just had a look and couldn't find it.
Accepted opinion is that the max is -100%.

> Now I'm pondering about a useful level of cold mastery. My sorceress
has
> got cold mastery at slvl 12 (with +skills from equipment) which means

> -75% cold resistance of enemies.

Most people like to get it to slvl 17 after +skills as this is the
-100%.

<snip>

> I feel unsure how to go on. Originally I had planned to max cold
> mastery, but this seems to be a waste of skill points? My sorceress
is
> using frozen orb, maxed. I could spend points on the only synergy to
> frozen orb, ice bolt. But it's only 2% enhanced cold damage. Not very

> tempting.

As I said earlier, Cold Mastery will take enemies down to -100%. In
Hell, a lot of monsters will have some level of cold resistance so feel
free to dump a few more points in it if you have the points. I think
slvl 27 was another level people liked for -150%. That will take Hell
Baal down to -100%.

> I could try to improve static field, enhancing it's range.

Not bad, but your +skills might be able to handle it.

<snip>
> Any suggestions how to go on?

How about 20 points into Telekenesis and then get a Memory staff for a
prebuffed ES :) (it was a joke, but now that i think about it, it's not
too bad)

Good Luck

chaliban

On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:25:51 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First, I've got a question about the cold mastery skill.
>
> Arreat summit states it reduces the enemies cold resistance, but never
> below 0% resistance.

Not completely correct, snipped from AS
Well if they are NOT Cold Immune, it will lower their Cold Resistance down
below 0% which essentially means they will take more damage.

> Now I'm pondering about a useful level of cold mastery. My sorceress has
> got cold mastery at slvl 12 (with +skills from equipment) which means -75%
> cold resistance of enemies.

My late FO/CL sorc had 5 hardpoints in cold mastery and it got boosted to
14 with +skills, but it seems to be high enough to be a good killer in
hell when monsters isn't coldimmune.

--
Sonni

chaliban wrote::

> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>First, I've got a question about the cold mastery skill.
>>
>>Arreat summit states it reduces the enemies cold resistance, but
>>never
>>below 0% resistance.
>

> Not sure where you saw that as I just had a look and couldn't find it.
> Accepted opinion is that the max is -100%.

I meant to read it on this page:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/sorceress-cold.shtml#coldmastery

But if I look again, it's just an example that results in 0% for that
specific case.

So I'm happy to have posted the question. Thank you for correcting me!

> Most people like to get it to slvl 17 after +skills as this is the
> -100%.

Ok, that seems to be a useful amount. It'd leave 3 more points for
static field, compared to the initial plan, which seems to be handy.

> <snip>

> As I said earlier, Cold Mastery will take enemies down to -100%. In
> Hell, a lot of monsters will have some level of cold resistance so feel
> free to dump a few more points in it if you have the points.

The build was planned with 20 points in cold mastery. If I just continue
the current path, she'll get 20 points in cold mastery during her early
level 80th.

Given that she'll get some more +skill items later, probaly 17 hard
points will be a good idea. It leaves some points for static field and
still results in more than 100% lower cold resistance even with the
current equipment.

> I think
> slvl 27 was another level people liked for -150%. That will take Hell
> Baal down to -100%.

That looks like a special case for power players? I have some troubles
to get a lot of +skills, and think I should aim at the casual play. Hell
Ball is not on my list of favorite targets.

>>I could try to improve static field, enhancing it's range.
>
> Not bad, but your +skills might be able to handle it.

I hope so. In either case :)

> <snip>
>
>>Any suggestions how to go on?
>
> How about 20 points into Telekenesis and then get a Memory staff for a
> prebuffed ES :) (it was a joke, but now that i think about it, it's not
> too bad)

It's just a readically different build. This one tries to get a lot of
power in two offensive spells. No defensive spells at all (no ES, no
frozen armor or such).

Fire wall is a very strategic spell so she can stay away from the heat
of the battle usually and doesn't need an awfully lot of defense.
Besides this is a low energy build that favours vitality, so ES would be
quite a misfit on it.

--
c.u. Hajo

Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:25:51 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

>>Now I'm pondering about a useful level of cold mastery. My sorceress has
>>got cold mastery at slvl 12 (with +skills from equipment) which means -75%
>>cold resistance of enemies.
>
> My late FO/CL sorc had 5 hardpoints in cold mastery and it got boosted to
> 14 with +skills, but it seems to be high enough to be a good killer in
> hell when monsters isn't coldimmune.

Did you put all the rest in CL/LM and CL synergies?

I'm asking becuase I initially planned for much more point's in CM and
I'm surprised that you used only so few.

I still think my FO is a bit weak (24 FO/12 CM with +skills currently)
and this is nightmare difficulty. From that feeling I'd say I'll
continue my initial plan for hard 20 FO/20 CM (hard points) or maybe
stop at 20/17 like chaliban suggested in his response to my question.

--
c.u. Hajo

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:12:25 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> Sonni Skammelsen wrote::
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:25:51 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>>Now I'm pondering about a useful level of cold mastery. My sorceress has
>>>got cold mastery at slvl 12 (with +skills from equipment) which means
>>>-75% cold resistance of enemies.
>>
>> My late FO/CL sorc had 5 hardpoints in cold mastery and it got boosted
>> to 14 with +skills, but it seems to be high enough to be a good killer
>> in hell when monsters isn't coldimmune.
>
> Did you put all the rest in CL/LM and CL synergies?

I maxed LM and CL and no CL synergies.

> I'm asking becuase I initially planned for much more point's in CM and I'm
> surprised that you used only so few.

With +9 all skills i did ok, it gave me level 29 Fo with level 14 CM,
which gives Fo with avg. damage of 409 and -85% enemy cold resistance.

> I still think my FO is a bit weak (24 FO/12 CM with +skills currently) and
> this is nightmare difficulty. From that feeling I'd say I'll continue my
> initial plan for hard 20 FO/20 CM (hard points) or maybe stop at 20/17
> like chaliban suggested in his response to my question.

Since FO at a level close to 30 and CM around 15 make a good killer and
you need an other skill to take out CI monsters then in my opinion the 15
extra skill points is better used somewhere else.

Skills on my sorc was like this
Cold tree
20 FO
5 CM
1 shiver armor
1 in prereqs

Fire tree
7 Warmth

Ligthning tree
20 CL
20 LM
1 ES
1 in prereqs
and the rest in TK

And she had 9 +skills using this gear
HotO
upped visceratuant
viper magic
um'ed shako
tal's amu
glooms trap
infernostrides
10% fcr ring with 11res all and mana
10% fcr ring with 7res all and mana
and stocked up with life/mana/mf charms

she had just enough str for gear, 77 i think
enough dex for 75%
rest in vit
base energy
and due to her charms and gear she had more mana than life.

--
Sonni

Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:12:25 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

>>I'm asking becuase I initially planned for much more point's in CM and I'm
>>surprised that you used only so few.
>
> With +9 all skills i did ok, it gave me level 29 Fo with level 14 CM,
> which gives Fo with avg. damage of 409 and -85% enemy cold resistance.

I see. That's quite strong.
+9 skills are not on my list. If I'm lucky I'll get +7 or +8. Currently
I plan with +5 or +6.

>>I still think my FO is a bit weak (24 FO/12 CM with +skills currently) and
>>this is nightmare difficulty. From that feeling I'd say I'll continue my
>>initial plan for hard 20 FO/20 CM (hard points) or maybe stop at 20/17
>>like chaliban suggested in his response to my question.
>
> Since FO at a level close to 30 and CM around 15 make a good killer and
> you need an other skill to take out CI monsters then in my opinion the 15
> extra skill points is better used somewhere else.

I'm not quite sure what you want to tell me by that. My FO will be as
strong as yours soon (I'm at clvl 70 and it's not hard to level up to
80. Actually is it stronger already, in hard points, but I don't have +9
to skills) and my other attack spell, fire wall, is already really
strong. The only troubles will the cold+fire immunes, and for those I'll
use static field and my merc must help a bit.

So I could stop raising CM and put the points elsewhere - now we#re back
at the initial question, where to put them :)

> Skills on my sorc was like this
> Cold tree
> 20 FO
> 5 CM
> 1 shiver armor
> 1 in prereqs
>
> Fire tree
> 7 Warmth
>
> Ligthning tree
> 20 CL
> 20 LM
> 1 ES
> 1 in prereqs
> and the rest in TK

I wonder if this is worth the points? Obviously you'll say "yes" because
you put them all in there, but I'd like to know the reasons :)

Why didn't you prefer to raise the power of CL? The lightning synergies
give a lot of extra damage.

> And she had 9 +skills using this gear
> HotO

Out if reach for me. Nice to have, though :)

> upped visceratuant

This could be an option. I have that shield, and it's not really used by
any of my chars, although one of my sorcs wears it on swap.

I seriously miss resistances on it, that's why I don't like it. Maybe if
it's socketed by Larzuk and a PDiamond is put into it?

> viper magic

Don't have a spare one (I have two, both used by caharcters.) But surely
a good decision.

> um'ed shako

Shako - you don't mean a Herlequins Crest, but the ordinary item?

> tal's amu

Nice. I want one, too ;)

> glooms trap

-3 to light rad, is this a problem?
I usually dislike items with -light modifiers

> infernostrides

Nice.

> 10% fcr ring with 11res all and mana
> 10% fcr ring with 7res all and mana

Does FCR work with FO? FO seems to have a fixed casting delay. I tried
comparing with and without FCR, either I didn't hit a breakpoint or the
difference was so small that I did'nt notice it.

Fire wall also seems to have a fixed delay. Currently I don't look for
FCR much because of that.

> and stocked up with life/mana/mf charms

As needed ;)

> she had just enough str for gear, 77 i think
> enough dex for 75%
> rest in vit
> base energy
> and due to her charms and gear she had more mana than life.

Currently I don't want to raise str beyond 60 - maybe 65 if I upgrade
the rare torso plate. Will see, a 3 socket mage plate could be an option
instead.

I've let dex at base. I use shields only to get the modifiers, not for
blocking.

Vit and energy is a split. In the beginning I needed to put some points
into energy, now that my merc has an Insight polearm, it's not a problem
anymore.

She has more life than energy currently, but that can change very
quickly depending on the items that I find. The difference between life
and mana isn't relly big.

--
c.u. Hajo

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:39:37 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> Sonni Skammelsen wrote::
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:12:25 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>>I'm asking becuase I initially planned for much more point's in CM and
>>>I'm surprised that you used only so few.
>>
>> With +9 all skills i did ok, it gave me level 29 Fo with level 14 CM,
>> which gives Fo with avg. damage of 409 and -85% enemy cold resistance.
>
> I see. That's quite strong.
> +9 skills are not on my list. If I'm lucky I'll get +7 or +8. Currently I
> plan with +5 or +6.

+9 skills on a sorc is actually easy to reach, and with skillers you
easily get skill trees over +9.

>>>I still think my FO is a bit weak (24 FO/12 CM with +skills currently)
>>>and this is nightmare difficulty. From that feeling I'd say I'll
>>>continue my initial plan for hard 20 FO/20 CM (hard points) or maybe
>>>stop at 20/17 like chaliban suggested in his response to my question.
>>
>> Since FO at a level close to 30 and CM around 15 make a good killer and
>> you need an other skill to take out CI monsters then in my opinion the
>> 15 extra skill points is better used somewhere else.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you want to tell me by that. My FO will be as
> strong as yours soon (I'm at clvl 70 and it's not hard to level up to 80.
> Actually is it stronger already, in hard points, but I don't have +9 to
> skills) and my other attack spell, fire wall, is already really strong.
> The only troubles will the cold+fire immunes, and for those I'll use
> static field and my merc must help a bit.
>
> So I could stop raising CM and put the points elsewhere - now we#re back
> at the initial question, where to put them :)

First i would max out my FM.
And if you plan is not to get +skills put enough in static so you have a
decent radius on it, i had level 10 static due to my +skills which is a
nice radius, 9.3 yards and if i remember correct the screen has a 16 yeard
radius.

>> Skills on my sorc was like this
>> Cold tree
>> 20 FO
>> 5 CM
>> 1 shiver armor
>> 1 in prereqs
>>
>> Fire tree
>> 7 Warmth
>>
>> Ligthning tree
>> 20 CL
>> 20 LM
>> 1 ES
>> 1 in prereqs
>> and the rest in TK
>
> I wonder if this is worth the points? Obviously you'll say "yes" because
> you put them all in there, but I'd like to know the reasons :)

Playing HC gives you no option for recover your body, and and with 1 point
in TK you loose 2 mana for each damagepoint, and when mana is gone life
starts to drop, and no mana maens you cannot tele away.
With with a level 20 TK you will loose 0.75 mana for each damagepoint.
And iirc i had 10 hardpoints in TK which is 1.375 mana for is damagepoint.
For me it meant that if i took a blow doing 1000 damage my ES absorbed 590
damage, with a level 1 TK it costed my 1180 mana, which was more than i
had, so i couldn't tele away or cast a spell, with level 10 TK it only
costed 811 mana, so i still had mana to either tele away or cast a spell.

Hope this helps you to understand the reasons for pumping TK if you choose
to use ES.
I remember when first starting to talk about using ES, people always
recommented max ES and max TK and no vit and all energy to keep ES
effective.

If we try my sorc again with max ES and max TK and 1000 damage again i
would have absorbed 840 damage which would be converted to a mana loss of
630 and according to others you would easily get over 3k mana.

> Why didn't you prefer to raise the power of CL? The lightning
synergies
> give a lot of extra damage.

Because it was/is not needed to be a real killer.
level 29 CL with level 29 LM gives avg. 1094 damage per hit with 10 hits,
thats close to 11k ligthning damage per CL blast.

>> And she had 9 +skills using this gear HotO
>
> Out if reach for me. Nice to have, though :)

Good old occu is +3 skills like HotO and it has some nice res all too.

>> upped visceratuant
>
> This could be an option. I have that shield, and it's not really used by
> any of my chars, although one of my sorcs wears it on swap.
>
> I seriously miss resistances on it, that's why I don't like it. Maybe if
> it's socketed by Larzuk and a PDiamond is put into it?

I had a pdiamond in mine, forgot to mention that :)

>> viper magic
>
> Don't have a spare one (I have two, both used by caharcters.) But surely
> a good decision.

It's close to be the only option, it has skills, fcr, res all and mdr.

>> um'ed shako
>
> Shako - you don't mean a Herlequins Crest, but the ordinary item?

Sorry, i'm polluted be all the others that refers to Harlequins Crest as
shako, it is of course one of those, else i wouldn't have wasted a UM on
it.

>> tal's amu
>
> Nice. I want one, too ;)

Go mf or shop :)

>> glooms trap
>
> -3 to light rad, is this a problem?
> I usually dislike items with -light modifiers

Not really and i get 2 back from infernostride so i enden at -1.
And it's more important with mana then light radius, it's doesn't help a
lot that you can see the monsters if you don't have enough mana to kill
them.

>> infernostrides
>
> Nice.
>
>> 10% fcr ring with 11res all and mana
>> 10% fcr ring with 7res all and mana
>
> Does FCR work with FO? FO seems to have a fixed casting delay. I tried
> comparing with and without FCR, either I didn't hit a breakpoint or the
> difference was so small that I did'nt notice it.
>
> Fire wall also seems to have a fixed delay. Currently I don't look for
> FCR much because of that.

Yes, both FO and Fire Wall have fixed casting delay, but i used Cl which
is depending on FCR, and then the 18 res all on to rings isn't that bad
either, combined with the extra mana.

>> and stocked up with life/mana/mf charms
>
> As needed ;)
>
>> she had just enough str for gear, 77 i think enough dex for 75% rest in
>> vit
>> base energy
>> and due to her charms and gear she had more mana than life.
>
> Currently I don't want to raise str beyond 60 - maybe 65 if I upgrade
> the rare torso plate. Will see, a 3 socket mage plate could be an option
> instead.

I always aim for the best gear so i don't need str charms or othewr wierd
stuff for using the best gear for the build.

> I've let dex at base. I use shields only to get the modifiers, not for
> blocking.
>
> Vit and energy is a split. In the beginning I needed to put some points
> into energy, now that my merc has an Insight polearm, it's not a problem
> anymore.

No blocking and no absorb and little vit, i would be scared :)

> She has more life than energy currently, but that can change very
> quickly depending on the items that I find. The difference between life
> and mana isn't relly big.

Hope she has enough life for taking a hit from a hell guildrat :)

--
Sonni

Sonni Skammelsen wrote::
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:39:37 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>

>>Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

>>So I could stop raising CM and put the points elsewhere - now we#re back
>>at the initial question, where to put them :)
>
> First i would max out my FM.

Oh, no doubt about that. It's a given, regardless what I do with the
other points. I can decide if I want to max it next level, wait until
level 75 or follow the initial plan, and have it maxed at level 80, that
means build it up in parallel with CM.

But a maxed FM is a must have for sure.

> And if you plan is not to get +skills

No no. Not this way :) I mean if I can I'll use all +skills that I can
get. I just doubt that I get a lot of them soon. I now have +4/+6
(cold/fire). I can get +5/+7 if I swap a viper magi or que hegans from
another character. I can get +6/+8 is I also swap a shield from another
charcter. I can get +9 all if I give my one and only occulus to this char.

The problem: this weakens the other chars. I don't want that.

So she must wait until I find or buy new stuff. This can take a while.
If I find new stuff I'll use it of course.

Thus I don't plan with +9 all, but +4/+6 because that is available now.

I don't mean to leave it this way forever. Ask me next week again what
happened in the meantime :)

> put enough in static so you have a
> decent radius on it, i had level 10 static due to my +skills which is a
> nice radius, 9.3 yards and if i remember correct the screen has a 16 yeard
> radius.

This is interesting. I never was able to find out how long a yard
actually is in D2 game world.

>>>and the rest in TK
>>
>>I wonder if this is worth the points? Obviously you'll say "yes" because
>>you put them all in there, but I'd like to know the reasons :)
>
> Playing HC gives you no option for recover your body, and and with 1 point
> in TK you loose 2 mana for each damagepoint, and when mana is gone life
> starts to drop, and no mana maens you cannot tele away.
> With with a level 20 TK you will loose 0.75 mana for each damagepoint.
> And iirc i had 10 hardpoints in TK which is 1.375 mana for is damagepoint.
> For me it meant that if i took a blow doing 1000 damage my ES absorbed 590
> damage, with a level 1 TK it costed my 1180 mana, which was more than i
> had, so i couldn't tele away or cast a spell, with level 10 TK it only
> costed 811 mana, so i still had mana to either tele away or cast a spell.
>
> Hope this helps you to understand the reasons for pumping TK if you choose
> to use ES.

Yes. You have different needs. For me dying is inconvenient, it
interrupts the game. For you it's the end of the game.

> I remember when first starting to talk about using ES, people always
> recommented max ES and max TK and no vit and all energy to keep ES
> effective.
>
> If we try my sorc again with max ES and max TK and 1000 damage again i
> would have absorbed 840 damage which would be converted to a mana loss of
> 630 and according to others you would easily get over 3k mana.

Yes, I was told so, too. So far I never tried a serious ES build. This
sorceress again relies on vitality and doesn't use ES often.

She couldn't stand 1000 physical damage, though, I think. It'll be on me
to make sure she never has to.

But hey, she will grow, there are 30 more levels, and while I think
above 85 is a dream, this still means 15 levels and I have the option of
two more Lam Esens tome quests, each of gives 5 attribute points.

15*5 + 10 points in vit means 190 more points of vit, and I have 110
attribute points saved now. Dumping them in vit means 220 more life.

Yet, most likely those points go 4:1 into vit and energy.

There is room for improvement here. Not only better gear, just natural
growth :) But I'll wait until I feel the need, I mean get a feel if life
is needed or energy or whatever.

>>>And she had 9 +skills using this gear HotO
>>
>>Out if reach for me. Nice to have, though :)
>
> Good old occu is +3 skills like HotO and it has some nice res all too.

Yes. Did you try it? It has 25% chance to teleport on being hit. One of
my sorceresses use it, but I'm really very undecided if I'll try to get
another one for my new sorceress. Currently I rather think I'l stick
with +2 skills and if don't have to suffer from teleportitis.

I'd like to hear what other players think about it? I dislike it very
much, although it hasn't killed my sorceress yet, but a few occasions
were close, after being teleported into a monster pack.

>>>tal's amu
>>
>>Nice. I want one, too ;)
>
> Go mf or shop :)

:eek:)

Let me explain: there are things that I'd like to have, but still don't
take serious steps to get because I'm lazy and I think I can get along
with my current posessions.

That's why he was this smily ";)" - it was meant ot show that I'm not
very serious about the "I want to have one". I want to have one, yes,
but I'll not do much to get one. If it drops from the next monster I'll
be happy. If not, I'll still be as happy as I'm now :)

>>>10% fcr ring with 11res all and mana
>>>10% fcr ring with 7res all and mana
>>
>>Does FCR work with FO? FO seems to have a fixed casting delay. I tried
>>comparing with and without FCR, either I didn't hit a breakpoint or the
>>difference was so small that I did'nt notice it.
>>
>>Fire wall also seems to have a fixed delay. Currently I don't look for
>>FCR much because of that.
>
> Yes, both FO and Fire Wall have fixed casting delay, but i used Cl which
> is depending on FCR, and then the 18 res all on to rings isn't that bad
> either, combined with the extra mana.

Ok, I just asked to be sure my decision was right. Thank you for
confiring my findings!

>>>she had just enough str for gear, 77 i think enough dex for 75% rest in
>>>vit
>>>base energy
>>>and due to her charms and gear she had more mana than life.
>>
>>Currently I don't want to raise str beyond 60 - maybe 65 if I upgrade
>>the rare torso plate. Will see, a 3 socket mage plate could be an option
>>instead.
>
> I always aim for the best gear so i don't need str charms or othewr wierd
> stuff for using the best gear for the build.

I agree, I wouldn't want to use tricks to equip my gear.

I'm just less focused on specific items. I've got a collection of
things, and try to make the best out of it. It grows each day, but I
never know what will be the next aquisition.

Among my stuff you'll find a lot of rare items, and customized socketed
stuff. I never used Larzuks socketing reward, though, while I usually
use Charsi imbue reward once per character.

And there are always lucky moments, like getting a Peasant Crown for
free as a giveaway or a free Bonehew because the former owner didn't
really need it and wanted to clear the stash.

I just never know what will happen next day :)

>>I've let dex at base. I use shields only to get the modifiers, not for
>>blocking.
>>
>>Vit and energy is a split. In the beginning I needed to put some points
>>into energy, now that my merc has an Insight polearm, it's not a problem
>>anymore.
>
> No blocking and no absorb and little vit, i would be scared :)

I learned that others think my vitality is low, but as long as they die
more frequently I don't worry. Blocking isn't exactly 0, it's just not
very high. Don't know if it makes a difference. Shields for sure add
defense, and can add life/mana and resistances; I like all of those mods.

Fire walls can be cast in the very distant corners of the screen. It's
kind of a long-range attack in some way :)

Fire walls can also be cast around corners. Even through doors and into
tunnels. It's a bit tricky, but usally the monsters don't even see me
when they get fried by my walls.

Duriel is my biggest problem. His chamber has exactly zero options for
strategy. The only hope is that my merc or a party member can stop him
so that he stays in the fire walls long enough.

>>She has more life than energy currently, but that can change very
>>quickly depending on the items that I find. The difference between life
>>and mana isn't relly big.
>
> Hope she has enough life for taking a hit from a hell guildrat :)

Yes, sure :)

I've been there with a similar build - weaker actually due to 13 wasted
skill points. This is a rebuild, flawless so far, and therefore at level
70 almost as strong as the other one at level 80.

She just doesn't have good equipment yet. For a few reasons: I don't
want to take it away from my other characters, I'm too lazy to check all
mules and look for the optimal combination and actually she performs
well, so there is no pressure on better gear :)

Maybe I'm also bit proud to play well with cheap and self-found things.
At least it feels better this way, than to have a character that is only
strong with top equipment.

Please don't get me wrong. This is just how I think and feel. Of course
if you have the things, use them and be happy :)

--
c.u. Hajo

[snipped everything]

Ok, i'll try sum it up a little.

1. You would like to get more +skill gear....
2. You would like to only use self found gear....
3. You don't want you char to survive only due too super gear....
4. My opinion on using, if i ever did, occulus....

1 + 2) this can be done in the same way very easily, your char at level
70 should be able to solo nm andy, mephe and baal.
By doing that you should be able to get the item you need, and you will
even be able to gain some xp by doing baal solo. And if you add
something like the ancient's way you can get some nice charms too.
Remember gc from nm act 3 and up can become skillers and sc from the
ancient's way and up can get 5 res all and 7% mf.

3) as you propertly know, a char with super cool gear but a bad player
can get killed more often then a har with bad gear played by a good
player. And the gear i mentioned isn't that super cool gear, it's all
average gear from which all can be found in nm. But i still understand
you point of view.
For myself, sometimes when other players, i guess they use MH or
something like that since they can see all my gear, offers my other gear
than what i use, because i think my gear setup all over is better as it
is than if i change gloves, boots or something else. Example is when i
play my hybrid zon they almost always offer my an other armor or boots,
maybe because my armor is only an exceptional armor with lionheart in,
but i need the mods on that armor more then i need a elite armor which
also means i need more str to use it, or the boots that is some rare
boot's but then again they contains just the mods i need.
And sometimes those are the same players that need to use chicken or
some kind of fast exit setup for not getting killed while i can stay in
the game an clear the areas without getting in to troubles.

So i also understand your points on not just replace one item of your
gear because that could easily make the build weaker in stead of
stronger, but i take a guess here and say we talk about almost a
complete gearchange.

4) i use occu on my sorcs from level 42 and until i can replace it with
my endgame weapon, or even use it as my endgame weapon. The teleport on
struck can be a little annoying, but with my hotkey setup i can teleport
back to where i was almost before the monsterpack i might teleport into
wakes up and attack, and sometimes it is useful as when you actually get
teleported to safety. My very soon to be build tal's sorc is going to
used it until she can use the complete set at level 71.

Hope i didn't snipped away to much:)

--
Sonni
-=-=-

In article <d6hl77$241$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

[some big snippage, I'm only reacting to a small part of your posting. :)]

>Since I currently don't mind killing a lot of things for fun, I'd prefer
>the chaos sanctuary and Diablo. It's more entertaining even if it takes
>as long or longer. How do Diablos drops compare to Mephis? Diablo is a
>higher boss, so he should drop better?

Yes, NM Diablo has (should have ;) a higher mlvl than NM Mephisto. You
should be able to Google for his exact mlvl and/or what he can drop.

>They never dropped in my games, so far. I had to trade for them, but
>also got a skin of the vipermagi as a gift (used by another char
>currently). I don't have a spare one for my new sorc.
>
>Short time hope: a rare or 3 socket mage plate or archon plate. If it's
>socketed I'll do the same trick again, like described above, get three
>good resists, and again a higher defence.

Look at some of the (relatively) low level runewords which can be put in
armors. Some of them are much more useful than anything with only the
plain ral/ort/tal in.

>I'm a pyromaniac. I have an Assassin fire trapper and all my sorceresses
>are fire+other skill. Unless one of them needs a lot of mana I try to
>get magefists.

A thing that occured to me: the lvl of your fire traps on the fire trapsin
might also be upped with +1 due to Magefist: so possibly Magefist is a
good piece of equipment for her...

I noticed a long while ago, when experimenting with Magefist on my necro,
als the CE level goes up +1 when wearing them. The +1 fire skills on
Magefist is _not_ only for the sorceress' fire skill tree, but affects all
fire related skills. So I'd expect a Paladin's Holy Fire also to be
affected for instance, but also a Necro's CE and a trapper's fire traps.

Experiment if you want, and let us know! ;)

>It only has +5 energy and +7 mana. I want more :)

One will drop, don't worry. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6hl77$241$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Short time hope: a rare or 3 socket mage plate or archon plate. If it's
>>socketed I'll do the same trick again, like described above, get three
>>good resists, and again a higher defence.
>
> Look at some of the (relatively) low level runewords which can be put in
> armors. Some of them are much more useful than anything with only the
> plain ral/ort/tal in.

I'll start with those that seem doable and interesting, but are not for
armor. Then I'll comment on all runewords that can be made in armors:

Lore 2 Socket Helms Ort + Sol

I think I'll try this one. Yesterday I noticed that my rocket sorc
doesn't wear headgear with +skills, and the tarnhelm that she has in her
stash is too weak. I'll look if I have a suitable coronet on a mule, if
not, I'll look for a 2 socket helm and try the Lore runeword. Problem: I
used my last Sol on the Insight partizan for the rockets merc, so I
can't make Lore until I find another one.

Rhyme 2 Socket Shields Shael + Eth

I have those runes. 2 sockets shields are plenty, and I surely will find
a nice one. This looks very tempting, becuase of the +25 resist all and
the +15% faster mana regeneration.

Splendor 2 Socket Shields Eth + Lum

I don't have a Lum. I might have a chance to get one from the countess
in nightmare but I don't know for sure. Actually I like this runeword, I
just don't know how easy/hard it is to get a Lum or if it' easier to get
one of the unique shield that have comparable mods.

Spirit 4 Socket Swords/Shields Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn

I have the runes. I like the mods. I'd like to try that in a sword some
day. There are one handed swords with four sockets and moderate
requirements. It's better than the the rare orbs that I have.

Smoke 2 Socket Body Armor Nef + Lum

I don't have a Lum. I might have a chance to get one from the countess
in nightmare but I don't know for sure. I don't like the -1 light
radius, but othwerwise I like this one.

Stealth 2 Socket Body Armor Tal + Eth

I have the runes, but this doesn't look very intersting for a sorceress.
Maybe an amazon might like it better?

Lionheart 3 Socket Body Armor Hel + Lum + Fal

Mostly impossible. No hope to get all those runes soon.

Bramble 4 Socket Body Armor Ral + Ohm + Sur + Eth

Mostly impossible. Also not interesting.

Enigma 3 Socket Body Armor Jah + Ith + Ber

I don't expect to get that ever in my D2 career.

Gloom 3 Socket Body Armor Fal + Um + Pul

Mostly impossible. Also not interesting.

Duress 3 Socket Body Armor Shael + Um + Thul

Most likely I won't get an Um. Also not really tempting for a sorceress.

Prudence 2 Socket Body Armor Mal + Tir

Most likely I won't get a Mal. Also not really tempting for a sorceress.

Dragon 3 Socket Body Armor/Shields Sur + Lo + Sol

Mostly impossible. Also not interesting.

To summarize: There are no runweords for armors that I could do now and
also would prefer over my current armor. Smoke is the only interesting
one of the 'cheap' runewords, but I'm not sure how long it might take to
get a Lum.

I think my decision to plainly use ral, ort, tal in a more or less
random armor to get resists is the best I could do right now. The
situatiuon will change once I get a Lum, Smoke surely is a better choice.

>>I'm a pyromaniac. I have an Assassin fire trapper and all my sorceresses
>>are fire+other skill. Unless one of them needs a lot of mana I try to
>>get magefists.
>
> A thing that occured to me: the lvl of your fire traps on the fire trapsin
> might also be upped with +1 due to Magefist: so possibly Magefist is a
> good piece of equipment for her...
>
> I noticed a long while ago, when experimenting with Magefist on my necro,
> als the CE level goes up +1 when wearing them. The +1 fire skills on
> Magefist is _not_ only for the sorceress' fire skill tree, but affects all
> fire related skills. So I'd expect a Paladin's Holy Fire also to be
> affected for instance, but also a Necro's CE and a trapper's fire traps.

I think I once asked if +fire skills affect the traps, and the answer
was 'no'. But I didn't test that by myself. I know that the +fire skills
work on Druid elemental fire skills.

I don't like to mule 'valuable' equipment like magefist too often
between my characters. I lost some uniques already, and the magefists
are things I can't replace easily.

The only safe way to mule things is to ask friends, but I don't want to
bother people too often with such requests and keep that for the really
important things (Please hold my last Sol rune for a moment :) you
remember, or plese give me that WP, it only takes a second :) )

> Experiment if you want, and let us know! ;)

I'm afraid, I'm fear item loss during muling too much to do a lot of
experiments.

>>It only has +5 energy and +7 mana. I want more :)
>
> One will drop, don't worry. :)

My rocket has one with +86 mana. It's been my best rare ring in regard
of +mana. The limit is +90, so this surely was a very lucky find!

--
c.u. hajo

On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:10:56 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> Sonni Skammelsen wrote::
>
>> On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:17:05 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>>

>>>Sonni Skammelsen wrote::
>>>[snip]
>>>Yes, that's right. Andy isn't a threat anymore, Mephi also, but I hate
>>>these undead dolls in the durance of hate.
>
> Yesterday I was practising boss runs. The durance of hate is definitely
> among my least liked areas. Not only that I got killed several times by
> these dolls, the "always go left" trick sometimes results in moving
> through 75% of the durance of hate before finding the stairs.

The trick of doing bossruns, specially in nm where normal monsters doesn't
have that high level so they can drop good stuff is going directly for the
boss.
Being a sorc you should ignore every monster and tele like a mad man. When
this season started i had nothing and the char i used for mf at nm meph
was my paladin, i used vigor to run durance of hate level 2, i only killed
a monster if it block the doorway and i couldn't get it to move away.
Now the only char i have that i use for hell meph is my barb, with him i
just run and jump corners.
Some times i run take a little longer than other times, but average i
can/could complete about 10 meph runs in both nm and hell in about 15
minutes.

> In one try I searched for the stairs more than 10 minutes, and then got a
> "connection lost". That put and end on my tests. So far running Mephi in
> NM looks inefficient to me.
>
> Since I currently don't mind killing a lot of things for fun, I'd prefer
> the chaos sanctuary and Diablo. It's more entertaining even if it takes as
> long or longer. How do Diablos drops compare to Mephis? Diablo is a higher
> boss, so he should drop better?

there is something with meph as i understand it, diablo have higher level
and can drop higher level item, but meph can drop more items and drop more
often than diablo.

>>>I must skip Baal in most games
>>>unless I want to change to hell, if I kill him I'll complete the quest.
>>>I could kill him in games that players opened that have killed him
>>>already, but I didn't try that yet - once I got the Baal quest by
>>>accident and went to hell earlier than I wanted, so I got a bit careful
>>>about Baal.
>>
>> The only part of your "dream gear" that cannot drop from andy and mephe
>> is harlequins crest, so i would say try go hunt them down, and a good
>> way to do it is joining baalruns and do it in 8 player games, and maybe
>> you get lucky with games created where you can do baal without getting
>> the quest, and they already did the hard part of killing all his
>> minions.
>
> Yes, that works. Baal runs often seem to be opened by characters who have
> the Baal quest already, and a 'good' run wipes the minions in a few
> minutes.
>
> Still NM Baal is quite hard for me, actually he's my next quest, so no
> surprise. A quick calculation shows that I must toast him about 60 seconds
> with my fire walls, but he just doesnt't stay there :)
>
> I think I'll skip NM Baal until my merc caught up with my own level and
> can pin Baal long enough.

If i look back i can see you both have a good level FO and static too, and
thinking back on my own sorc you should be able to tele on top of baal and
static a few times to bring him down to 33% life and then finish him off
with a short series of FO. In nm you don't really need help from you merc
for killing him fast and smooth.

> [snipped some gear]
> All the good belts that I found so far are in use by other characters. I'm
> pondering about imbuing an exceptional or elite belt? I find non-magic
> versions of these now and then, yet never saw a rare one so far. But one
> never knows that the imbue gives.
>
> My rocket sorc has an imbued mesh belt, which turned out not too bad.
>
> What do you think?

I'm one of those who says, never use your imbue quest on anything else
than diadem

> [snipped even more gear]
> I play now a little more than two months, average 4 hours a day. Just to
> give you an idea what I mean if I say "never dropped in my games". I don't
> play that long yet, and usually only in nightmare not in hell :)

With 2 months under your belt you should be able to start getting some of
the better gear.
And for most chars you will be able to find the gear the need for being
able to go through hell in nm. It just takes some time with doing bossruns.
To give you a little idea of how i did it, and i do play about as much as
you do.
When i got a char that could do nm meph runs in the start of this season
i used around 3 weeks where 75% of the time i played for doing nm meph
runs. That give my enough items to make other chars that could play the
game in hell, and therefor got me even better stuff just questing through
hell.
And when i got my first char that really could handle hell meph i started
to get everything i could need.
And to give a little idea of how many hell mpeh runs i have made, the char
is by the way a concentrate IK barb, i started doing meph runs when the
char was level 82 and now he is level 89.5 all that xp has come from
durance of hate level 3 which is the only place i killed monsters.
There isn't many items that cannot drop there from other monsters, like
boss blood lords and champoin blood lords, they dropped both nat's claw
and mav's diadem for my there. and the unique council members down there
has the chance to drop even better, the are in fact higher level than meph
himself, iirc meph is level 87 but the 3 council members are level 91.

--
Sonni

In article <d6hpph$g2o$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>I'll start with those that seem doable and interesting, but are not for
>armor. Then I'll comment on all runewords that can be made in armors:

Feel free. I'll add my own comments.

>Lore 2 Socket Helms Ort + Sol
>
>I think I'll try this one. Yesterday I noticed that my rocket sorc
>doesn't wear headgear with +skills, and the tarnhelm that she has in her
>stash is too weak. I'll look if I have a suitable coronet on a mule, if
>not, I'll look for a 2 socket helm and try the Lore runeword. Problem: I
>used my last Sol on the Insight partizan for the rockets merc, so I
>can't make Lore until I find another one.

Lore is nice, until you run into something better of course. But it was a
very nice mid-level item for my first character on this ladder, the one it
all started with, my skelliemancer.

>Rhyme 2 Socket Shields Shael + Eth
>
>I have those runes. 2 sockets shields are plenty, and I surely will find
>a nice one. This looks very tempting, becuase of the +25 resist all and
>the +15% faster mana regeneration.

Exactly, very cheap for a nice shield. But of course better stuff is
available on uniques. However, lacking those uniques, this is pretty
cheap. Also, do not forget the importance of the 'Cannot Be Frozen' on
this runeword, though it's more important to melee chars than sorcs.

Anyhow, it's just an all-around nice shield, has something for about every
class.

>Splendor 2 Socket Shields Eth + Lum
>
>I don't have a Lum. I might have a chance to get one from the countess
>in nightmare but I don't know for sure. Actually I like this runeword, I
>just don't know how easy/hard it is to get a Lum or if it' easier to get
>one of the unique shield that have comparable mods.

You will be drowning in Lums once you start running Hell Countess. And
Splendor is 'sort of' like Lidless Wall, with some minor differences.

>Spirit 4 Socket Swords/Shields Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
>
>I have the runes. I like the mods. I'd like to try that in a sword some
>day. There are one handed swords with four sockets and moderate
>requirements. It's better than the the rare orbs that I have.

My FB/??? Sorc is planning on getting one, but only in a Monarch However,
I need a few more levels to be able to reach the needed Strength
requirements without sacrificing too much elsewhere.

In a Sword I don't think it's that interesting, especially when compared
with the unique orbs available for sorceresses.

>Smoke 2 Socket Body Armor Nef + Lum
>
>I don't have a Lum. I might have a chance to get one from the countess
>in nightmare but I don't know for sure. I don't like the -1 light
>radius, but othwerwise I like this one.

Also nice intermediate armor, especially when you lack nice uniques. FHR,
some mana, lots of res-all. The -1 light is a minor irritation.

>Stealth 2 Socket Body Armor Tal + Eth
>
>I have the runes, but this doesn't look very intersting for a sorceress.
>Maybe an amazon might like it better?

FCR? FHR? FRW? It has a lot of nice mods, but it indeed lacks resists.

>Lionheart 3 Socket Body Armor Hel + Lum + Fal
>
>Mostly impossible. No hope to get all those runes soon.

Run Hell Countess quickly, and you'll be cubing those runes before you
know it.

>Bramble 4 Socket Body Armor Ral + Ohm + Sur + Eth
>
>Mostly impossible. Also not interesting.

It's not really a sorc armor, but it has 5% extra mana, life per kill
(very good for sorcs), so it even has a use there. But it's more of a merc
armor, and very expensive at that.

>Enigma 3 Socket Body Armor Jah + Ith + Ber
>
>I don't expect to get that ever in my D2 career.

;) But very, very nice for about any class except the sorc.

>Gloom 3 Socket Body Armor Fal + Um + Pul
>
>Mostly impossible. Also not interesting.

It's indeed not that interesting, especially looking at the costs of it.
You can probably get a much nicer unique armor for those runes.

>Duress 3 Socket Body Armor Shael + Um + Thul
>
>Most likely I won't get an Um. Also not really tempting for a sorceress.

But for her Act 2 merc, it's a great and relatively cheap armor! I have
one on about every merc I can afford to put one.

But indeed, Ums do not drop a lot from Hell Countess, but NM and Hell
hellforges can get you Ums.

>Prudence 2 Socket Body Armor Mal + Tir
>
>Most likely I won't get a Mal. Also not really tempting for a sorceress.

Nope, strange armor. More something for a pure player melee-er, which
concentrates on getting max defence (make Prudence in a very nice superior
2 socket ethereal elite armor, and you can get very high def).

>Dragon 3 Socket Body Armor/Shields Sur + Lo + Sol
>
>Mostly impossible. Also not interesting.

Not really. However, when put on a melee sorc, which uses Dream + Enchant
+ LM, it will probably be quite 'spectacular'. Very expensive though.

>To summarize: There are no runweords for armors that I could do now and
>also would prefer over my current armor. Smoke is the only interesting
>one of the 'cheap' runewords, but I'm not sure how long it might take to
>get a Lum.
>
>I think my decision to plainly use ral, ort, tal in a more or less
>random armor to get resists is the best I could do right now. The
>situatiuon will change once I get a Lum, Smoke surely is a better choice.

Well, I think you mentioned several armor which are clearly superior to
the rare one you're using now, or a plain one socketed with ral/ort/tal,
but to each his own of course. :)

>I think I once asked if +fire skills affect the traps, and the answer
>was 'no'. But I didn't test that by myself. I know that the +fire skills
>work on Druid elemental fire skills.

I haven't seen that question here. Fire Facets indeed do not affect fire
traps, because traps are seen as minions and facet do not affect the
damage dealt by minions. However, I do expect (but am not sure) for
Magefists to add +1 to all fire traps and Fire Bomb on a trapassin.

>I don't like to mule 'valuable' equipment like magefist too often
>between my characters. I lost some uniques already, and the magefists
>are things I can't replace easily.
>
>The only safe way to mule things is to ask friends, but I don't want to
>bother people too often with such requests and keep that for the really
>important things (Please hold my last Sol rune for a moment :) you
>remember, or plese give me that WP, it only takes a second :) )

Just ask, it looks like I can be online this evening from about
19:00-20:45, so if you want to do some safe muling, just ask... :)

>> Experiment if you want, and let us know! ;)
>
>I'm afraid, I'm fear item loss during muling too much to do a lot of
>experiments.

I'll help, because I'd like to see this questions answer. If I think about
it, I'll try it out this evening on my own trapassin. I will not be able
to the the effects of Magefist on her fire traps (because she has no
points there), but I will be able to see whether Magefist affect Fire
Bomb.

>> One will drop, don't worry. :)
>
>My rocket has one with +86 mana. It's been my best rare ring in regard
>of +mana. The limit is +90, so this surely was a very lucky find!

That's indeed very nice for a rare ring. If it also has some res-all and
10%FCR, you're holding a beauty indeed! ;)

Regards,

Patrick.

Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

> On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:10:56 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>

>>Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

>>Yesterday I was practising boss runs. The durance of hate is definitely
>>among my least liked areas. Not only that I got killed several times by
>>these dolls, the "always go left" trick sometimes results in moving
>>through 75% of the durance of hate before finding the stairs.
>
> The trick of doing bossruns, specially in nm where normal monsters doesn't
> have that high level so they can drop good stuff is going directly for the
> boss.
> Being a sorc you should ignore every monster and tele like a mad man.

I need to practise that more. So far I ended up dead way too often when
I tried.

> Some times i run take a little longer than other times, but average i
> can/could complete about 10 meph runs in both nm and hell in about 15
> minutes.

Amazing :)

>>How do Diablos drops compare to Mephis? Diablo is a higher
>>boss, so he should drop better?
>
> there is something with meph as i understand it, diablo have higher level
> and can drop higher level item, but meph can drop more items and drop more
> often than diablo.

This explains the popularity of Mephisto for runs :)

> If i look back i can see you both have a good level FO and static too, and
> thinking back on my own sorc you should be able to tele on top of baal and
> static a few times to bring him down to 33% life and then finish him off
> with a short series of FO. In nm you don't really need help from you merc
> for killing him fast and smooth.

I'll try that. FO is at 23, CM is at 15, static is only 4, so I must get
close to Baal, but that's doable.

>>[snipped some gear]
>>All the good belts that I found so far are in use by other characters. I'm
>>pondering about imbuing an exceptional or elite belt? I find non-magic
>>versions of these now and then, yet never saw a rare one so far. But one
>>never knows that the imbue gives.
>>
>>What do you think?
>
> I'm one of those who says, never use your imbue quest on anything else
> than diadem

I assume a diadem can get higher mods (like in gambling?) but OTOH you
could end up with a diadem that has +skills for a completely different
character class, making it useless?

>>[snipped even more gear]
>>I play now a little more than two months, average 4 hours a day. Just to
>>give you an idea what I mean if I say "never dropped in my games". I don't
>>play that long yet, and usually only in nightmare not in hell :)
>
> With 2 months under your belt you should be able to start getting some of
> the better gear.

So far I played 4 characters seriously: An assassin, now at lvl 81, a
FO/FW/CB sorc, also at lvl 81, a FB/Nova sorc, at lvl 75 and a FW/FO
sorc at lvl 76

The last sorc is a rebuild of the first sorc, without charged bolt.

I assume I always started a new character when one of my characters was
about to get into the more interesting areas of the game. So most of the
time I spent is areas where nothing too interesting can drop.

> And for most chars you will be able to find the gear the need for being
> able to go through hell in nm. It just takes some time with doing bossruns.
> To give you a little idea of how i did it, and i do play about as much as
> you do.
> When i got a char that could do nm meph runs in the start of this season
> i used around 3 weeks where 75% of the time i played for doing nm meph
> runs.

Honestly I don't have the patience and dedication for that. Also I got
many gifts from other players that got me started. I will do boss runs
since I need the items, but most likely less focused than you did.

*Hajo ponders about putting a big "Sponsored by Patrick et. al." label
on his characters*

My latest FW/FO sorc is the first one that uses almost only self-found
items.

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d6i438$bnn$2@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

[Big snippage again]

>> I'm one of those who says, never use your imbue quest on anything else
>> than diadem
>
>I assume a diadem can get higher mods (like in gambling?) but OTOH you
>could end up with a diadem that has +skills for a completely different
>character class, making it useless?

Of course not. If it has nice mods like (a selection out of): +2 skills,
res-all, FCR, FRW, open sockets, +life, +mana, +str/dex/vit/ene, you can
always trade it. Sometimes for a lot. :)

And once you have a rare diadem, you can also start rerolling it with the
6 PSkulls + rare item recipe, and get the some chances for 'greatness' at
every roll. :)

>*Hajo ponders about putting a big "Sponsored by Patrick et. al." label
>on his characters*

*hahaha* :) I know it's like a big carrot in front of you, but if you
don't want me to dangle anymore more carrots in front of you, just say
so... ;)

Regards,

Patrick.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:22:25 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

> [Snip]
> I need to practise that more. So far I ended up dead way too often when I
> tried.

I practiced with nm andy and countess runs on nm, it gives the feel, and
soon you can do it to meph too.

>> Some times i run take a little longer than other times, but average i
>> can/could complete about 10 meph runs in both nm and hell in about 15
>> minutes.
>
> Amazing :)

Not amazing, training :)
I remember season 1 when i played SC with a friend, back then i would
completed about 10 hell meph runs with his sorc in the same time i did 2
nm meph runs with my pala, both chars had the same level.

> >>How do Diablos drops compare to Mephis? Diablo is a higher
>>>boss, so he should drop better?
>>
>> there is something with meph as i understand it, diablo have higher
>> level and can drop higher level item, but meph can drop more items and
>> drop more often than diablo.
>
> This explains the popularity of Mephisto for runs :)

Yeah, it's not taken out of the blue sky, and he is also the easiest super
unique to get down to.

>> If i look back i can see you both have a good level FO and static too,
>> and thinking back on my own sorc you should be able to tele on top of
>> baal and static a few times to bring him down to 33% life and then
>> finish him off with a short series of FO. In nm you don't really need
>> help from you merc for killing him fast and smooth.
>
> I'll try that. FO is at 23, CM is at 15, static is only 4, so I must get
> close to Baal, but that's doable.

More like tele on top of, static, walk to steps back and FO, he will most
likely concentrate on your merc.

> [snip]
> I assume a diadem can get higher mods (like in gambling?) but OTOH you
> could end up with a diadem that has +skills for a completely different
> character class, making it useless?

if you get stats you can't use or sell reroll with 6 pskulls.
I spent is areas where nothing too interesting can drop.

> [snip]
>> And for most chars you will be able to find the gear the need for being
>> able to go through hell in nm. It just takes some time with doing
>> bossruns. To give you a little idea of how i did it, and i do play about
>> as much as you do.
>> When i got a char that could do nm meph runs in the start of this season
>> i used around 3 weeks where 75% of the time i played for doing nm meph
>> runs.
>
> Honestly I don't have the patience and dedication for that. Also I got
> many gifts from other players that got me started. I will do boss runs
> since I need the items, but most likely less focused than you did.
>
> *Hajo ponders about putting a big "Sponsored by Patrick et. al." label on
> his characters*

When a new season starts it's very hard to get sponsored, nobody has any
items to spare, so you had to find them yourself :)

> My latest FW/FO sorc is the first one that uses almost only self-found
> items.

starting to go the right way :)

--
Sonni

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6i438$bnn$2@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Sonni Skammelsen wrote::
>
> [Big snippage again]
>
>>>I'm one of those who says, never use your imbue quest on anything else
>>>than diadem
>>
>>I assume a diadem can get higher mods (like in gambling?) but OTOH you
>>could end up with a diadem that has +skills for a completely different
>>character class, making it useless?
>
> Of course not. If it has nice mods like (a selection out of): +2 skills,
> res-all, FCR, FRW, open sockets, +life, +mana, +str/dex/vit/ene, you can
> always trade it. Sometimes for a lot. :)
>
> And once you have a rare diadem, you can also start rerolling it with the
> 6 PSkulls + rare item recipe, and get the some chances for 'greatness' at
> every roll. :)

I think, this formula has a drawback. If you start with a high item
level diadem, it will degrade with each re-roll finally approaching 0.4
* clvl

The new ilvl is 0.4*ilvl + 0.4*clvl

Assuming a level 90 character and an ilvl 80 item (I don't know what
ilvl the imbue quest creates, I use 80 for this example):

1. reroll: ilvl = 68
2. reroll: ilvl = 63
3. reroll: ilvl = 61
4. reroll: ilvl = 60

Since the formula always round down (according to arreat summit) from
that point you loose one ilvl per reroll.

IIRC +2 skills need ilvl 90? So you never get that with this recipe,
even on circlets. +3 to one skill tab needs ilvl 60, so can get up to 5
tries on that, it seems.

OTOH I only have 4 PSkulls collected so far, so it stays a theoretic
exercise for me :)

>>*Hajo ponders about putting a big "Sponsored by Patrick et. al." label
>>on his characters*
>
> *hahaha* :) I know it's like a big carrot in front of you, but if you
> don't want me to dangle anymore more carrots in front of you, just say
> so... ;)

I think we found a good level in the meantime. You give me things that
are useful and valuable for me, and I can sometimes return some things
that are useful for you. With time and your help (and of cause all who
answered my questions here!) I learn to grow up in the game and do my
own steps. Currently I feel like a child, that wants to do the first
steps alone, still a bit uncertain yet willing to do it.

Look at the funny armor that I've built. It's self-found, self-made. Not
perfect, but it will be good enough for a while. You pointed me to the
runewords, told me how to do countess runs, and soon I'll be able to
make even a better armor. Still every little help from you is a big help
for me.

I just try to show my appreciation of your help this way. I can't put
such a label on my chars in the game, but now every reader of this
newsgroup has read the text, and that's probaly even better since you
post here too, and they know who is meant :)

--
c.u. Hajo

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <d6iarc$un2$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> >Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

<snip useful info about rerolling and ilvls>

Quote from Adeyke of the Amazon Basin to clarify:

"All diadems are created equal, for purposes of affix selection.
Regardless of the ilvl of a diadem, it'll always have exactly alvl 99
and will thus always have the same possible affixes at the same
probabilities."

In other words, all rare diadems can be rerolled with any level
character and you can still get all affixes.

chaliban wrote::

> Quote from Adeyke of the Amazon Basin to clarify:
>
> "All diadems are created equal, for purposes of affix selection.
> Regardless of the ilvl of a diadem, it'll always have exactly alvl 99
> and will thus always have the same possible affixes at the same
> probabilities."
>
> In other words, all rare diadems can be rerolled with any level
> character and you can still get all affixes.

Thanks! So much to learn :)

--
c.u. Hajo

Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

> On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:22:25 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

>>*Hajo ponders about putting a big "Sponsored by Patrick et. al." label on
>>his characters*
>
> When a new season starts it's very hard to get sponsored, nobody has any
> items to spare, so you had to find them yourself :)

Yes, that's the purpose of the ladder.

Yet, I'm quite surprised how often I get things for free. I mean, I
don't ask, just play along and still often players give me things. Like,
when an Amazon asked me: "Do you want this axe? I have no use for it and
no space to keep it!". The "axe" was a bonehew and this happened in act2
nightmare.

I think 30-50% of my equipment are gifts like this.

>>My latest FW/FO sorc is the first one that uses almost only self-found
>>items.
>
> starting to go the right way :)

I wouldn't say the other way is wrong :) I give away things, too, that I
don't need but consider useful for other players.

--
c.u. Hajo

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6hpph$g2o$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>

>>Lore 2 Socket Helms Ort + Sol
>>
>>I think I'll try this one ... Problem: I
>>used my last Sol on the Insight partizan for the rockets merc, so I
>>can't make Lore until I find another one.
>
> Lore is nice, until you run into something better of course. But it was a
> very nice mid-level item for my first character on this ladder, the one it
> all started with, my skelliemancer.

Available alternatives are an Tarnhelm that I could upgrade (expensive
recipe!) or a Tiara with +1 all sorc skills but no other mods.

Lore is cheaper than the upgrade, and better than the Tiara. The 2
socket sallet that I found has more base defense than the Tiara, too.

Now, the only question is, will I find a better helm first, or a Sol :)

>>Splendor 2 Socket Shields Eth + Lum
>>
>>I don't have a Lum. I might have a chance to get one from the countess
>>in nightmare but I don't know for sure. Actually I like this runeword, I
>>just don't know how easy/hard it is to get a Lum or if it' easier to get
>>one of the unique shield that have comparable mods.
>
> You will be drowning in Lums once you start running Hell Countess. And
> Splendor is 'sort of' like Lidless Wall, with some minor differences.

If I can make both, Splendor and Spirit (in a sword), I can swap around
some items. The splendor shield will replace a PDiamond Lidless on my
almost retired FO/CB sorc, the Lidless wall and the spirit sword will go
to my rocket, replacing the chromatic ire (unique two handed staff) that
she has. I think overall "spirit" sword and lidless wall togetzher is
better for her than the chromatic ire.

I assume I can make spirit first, and meanwhile the spirit sword will be
given to my FW/FO sorc until the splendor shield is ready and the big
swap can start.

>>Spirit 4 Socket Swords/Shields Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
>>
>>I have the runes. I like the mods. I'd like to try that in a sword some
>>day. There are one handed swords with four sockets and moderate
>>requirements. It's better than the the rare orbs that I have.
>
> My FB/??? Sorc is planning on getting one, but only in a Monarch However,
> I need a few more levels to be able to reach the needed Strength
> requirements without sacrificing too much elsewhere.
>
> In a Sword I don't think it's that interesting, especially when compared
> with the unique orbs available for sorceresses.

Compared to the unique orbs it's worse, right. I'm not sure if I can buy
or find one of those soon. A "spirit" sword seems to be a short term
solution to power up a bit and close the gap until I get something better.

>>Smoke 2 Socket Body Armor Nef + Lum
>>
>>I don't have a Lum. I might have a chance to get one from the countess
>>in nightmare but I don't know for sure. I don't like the -1 light
>>radius, but othwerwise I like this one.
>
> Also nice intermediate armor, especially when you lack nice uniques. FHR,
> some mana, lots of res-all. The -1 light is a minor irritation.

This will be of immediate use for my FW/FO sorc. Just waiting for a Lum :)

>>Stealth 2 Socket Body Armor Tal + Eth
>>
>>I have the runes, but this doesn't look very intersting for a sorceress.
>>Maybe an amazon might like it better?
>
> FCR? FHR? FRW? It has a lot of nice mods, but it indeed lacks resists.

My FW/FO sorc who needs better armor isn't interested in these mods
much, but needs resists. So Smoke is more interesting currently.

My other sorcs are all well with armor, so it's a bit of a special
situation here. In general Stealth is nice, right.

>>Lionheart 3 Socket Body Armor Hel + Lum + Fal
>>
>>Mostly impossible. No hope to get all those runes soon.
>
> Run Hell Countess quickly, and you'll be cubing those runes before you
> know it.

It'll take a while until I can run hell countess reqularly and quickly.
I think if I get a Lum first, I'll try Smoke.

If I get a skin of the vipermagi first, I'll not need any of the armor
runewords :)

>>Duress 3 Socket Body Armor Shael + Um + Thul
>>
>>Most likely I won't get an Um. Also not really tempting for a sorceress.
>
> But for her Act 2 merc, it's a great and relatively cheap armor! I have
> one on about every merc I can afford to put one.
>
> But indeed, Ums do not drop a lot from Hell Countess, but NM and Hell
> hellforges can get you Ums.

Duress is nice indeed. Except one poor guy all of my mercs have nice
armor now, so I'll see what I get first, a nice armor or an Um.
Exceptional rare armors drop now and then, my bets are on one of these
rather than the Um.

> Well, I think you mentioned several armor which are clearly superior to
> the rare one you're using now, or a plain one socketed with ral/ort/tal,
> but to each his own of course. :)

All the good armors are in use. If I swap them, one of my other
characters has the armor problem :)

>>I think I once asked if +fire skills affect the traps, and the answer
>>was 'no'. But I didn't test that by myself. I know that the +fire skills
>>work on Druid elemental fire skills.

[...]

>>>Experiment if you want, and let us know! ;)

> I'll help, because I'd like to see this questions answer. If I think about
> it, I'll try it out this evening on my own trapassin. I will not be able
> to the the effects of Magefist on her fire traps (because she has no
> points there), but I will be able to see whether Magefist affect Fire
> Bomb.

Report: Patrick and I did the test yesterday. I have a fire trapper, so
we could test all fire traps.

Result: All fire traps are enhanced by the +1 fire skills on magefists!

I assume this makes (upped ?) magefists interesting for a fire trapper.

>>>One will drop, don't worry. :)
>>
>>My rocket has one with +86 mana. It's been my best rare ring in regard
>>of +mana. The limit is +90, so this surely was a very lucky find!
>
> That's indeed very nice for a rare ring. If it also has some res-all and
> 10%FCR, you're holding a beauty indeed! ;)

It has +10% FCR, but no res all, +1 strength and one small single resist
IIRC.

It's still great for the rocket :)

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d6kabc$b55$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>> Lore is nice, until you run into something better of course. But it was a
>> very nice mid-level item for my first character on this ladder, the one it
>> all started with, my skelliemancer.
>
>Available alternatives are an Tarnhelm that I could upgrade (expensive
>recipe!) or a Tiara with +1 all sorc skills but no other mods.

Don't upgrade the Tarnhelm; that more or less defeats the purpose of this
helmet: a low level hat with +1 skills on it. There are very few uniques
which are worth the runes to upgrade 'em, and Tarnhelm ain't it. ;)

>Lore is cheaper than the upgrade, and better than the Tiara. The 2
>socket sallet that I found has more base defense than the Tiara, too.
>
>Now, the only question is, will I find a better helm first, or a Sol :)

Keep gambling Coronets, and hope a +2 sorc skills one is gambled, with
nice secondary mods.

[snippage of valid observations, I agree ;)]

[Spirit in Sword]

>Compared to the unique orbs it's worse, right. I'm not sure if I can buy
>or find one of those soon. A "spirit" sword seems to be a short term
>solution to power up a bit and close the gap until I get something better.

Yes, you're right, lacking better stuff, it can still be very nice. :)

>>>I have the runes, but this doesn't look very intersting for a sorceress.
>>>Maybe an amazon might like it better?
>>
>> FCR? FHR? FRW? It has a lot of nice mods, but it indeed lacks resists.
>
>My FW/FO sorc who needs better armor isn't interested in these mods
>much, but needs resists. So Smoke is more interesting currently.
>
>My other sorcs are all well with armor, so it's a bit of a special
>situation here. In general Stealth is nice, right.

It has some interesting mods, but it's easily bettered by uniques. I
noticed a lot of people running around (and trading) in the cheaper
runewords at the start of ladder. Reason: the runes for a runeword like
this are usually easier to acquire than the unique which betters it.

>If I get a skin of the vipermagi first, I'll not need any of the armor
>runewords :)

Yup, that still is one of the most usefull sorc armors around. And perhaps
something to upgrade, but only if it's near perfect, and you're willing to
spend the Str to wear the upgraded version. No problem if you're planning
on equipping a Spirit Monarch, more of a problem if you're planning a
minimum-Str build.

>Duress is nice indeed. Except one poor guy all of my mercs have nice
>armor now, so I'll see what I get first, a nice armor or an Um.
>Exceptional rare armors drop now and then, my bets are on one of these
>rather than the Um.

I think you have a better use for your first Um to drop than making a
Duress armor. :)

(I.e. putting it in a nice armor, to up the res)

>Report: Patrick and I did the test yesterday. I have a fire trapper, so
>we could test all fire traps.
>
>Result: All fire traps are enhanced by the +1 fire skills on magefists!
>
>I assume this makes (upped ?) magefists interesting for a fire trapper.

Upping adds little def, and a trapper doesn't need a lot of def, because
she plans on not being near monsters. ;)

Anyway, while swapping around the Magefists, I also noticed it, as
expected, raised Corpse Explosion on a necro with +1.

It however, did not add +1 to Death Sentry, despite the CE-element of that
trap. :(

>>>My rocket has one with +86 mana. It's been my best rare ring in regard
>>>of +mana. The limit is +90, so this surely was a very lucky find!
>>
>> That's indeed very nice for a rare ring. If it also has some res-all and
>> 10%FCR, you're holding a beauty indeed! ;)
>
>It has +10% FCR, but no res all, +1 strength and one small single resist
>IIRC.
>
>It's still great for the rocket :)

Niice ring! I want one too! :)

Regards,