Should I just go with Mandrake?

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Does anyone know if Mandrake is simpler. I can not find anything with Fedora Redhat...actually I don't think I installed it right. I'm just going to download and install Mandrake then. Thanks for the help :)

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
GeForce Verto FX5200 128mb DDR
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB, Stock 40gb
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW
Go EMachines...:(

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Ahhhh...dry ground again. Sorry Linux, but I gave you my best shot. Maybe some other time.

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Sounds like you've had a bad experience with Linux.

First off, with regards to what version, I have installed both RedHat and Mandrake with no problems.

As far as your HDD issue, (and if I am wrong, someone will correct me) but Linux can't "see" NTFS partitions, that have to be FAT, preferably FAT16.

You should maybe do a bit more research before you give up so easily.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What's wrong with it? What do you mean you can't find anything?

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I don't know if I was looking in the places, but I went to search seached for my second hard drive, I can't remember what I typed in, something like '/dav/hdb'. But I think I just installed it wrong. I downloaded the files off of suprnova.org(bittorrent) and the 3rd CD would install, I'll just download from the Mandrake website. The version I was trying to install was Fedora Rehat 10, it might have been a beta or something, even if Redhat doesn't make beta's...I haven't given up on linux, I'm just gonna have Windows on one, and Madrake Linux 9.2 on the other.

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I'm not sure about Fedora, but on Mandrake the Windows disk should be under something like /mnt/dos or similar. To access it, use Konquerer or Nautilus (depending on if you use KDE or Gnome) and just find it like you would in Windows - eg, open your home directory and navigate up/down from there. There's no C: D: and so on, just a tree structure starting at / If there's nothing that looks right under /mnt, post the contents of the file /etc/fstab (a table of mountable filesystems).

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
When I last used mandrake it was /mnt/win_c IIRC

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I’ve tried all of the major distributions of Linux and Mandrake is the one I’m sticking with. Best hardware support and easiest for Windows users to get the hang of. The KDE GUI is the one I’d recommend.

Just my opinion though…

Krigg

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
Quote: sparky853
As far as your HDD issue, (and if I am wrong, someone will correct me) but Linux can't "see" NTFS partitions, that have to be FAT, preferably FAT16.

Ok, I'll correct you because you are wrong. Linux can definitely see NTFS partitions, reading them isn't a problem, although writing to them can be an issue. You can however have a dual boot computer, with NTFS partitions for windows, and see all of those partitions from Linux. It just may take some tweaking in the kernel configuration. My dual boot system is Windows XP and Gentoo Linux, now Windows can't read my Linux partitions, but my Linux can read all of my Windows partitions...fancy that eh?

I'm sorry to hear that Mandrake has given some a bad impression of Linux...don't let that stop you though.

Linux is best suited for email and web servers, as well as VPN and VoIP gateway servers. It's not susceptible to the same attacks that Windows is, not to mention it's far easier to manage.

Don't give up on Linux....just try a different distro.

Krigg

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
You want something simpler? You'll have to pay a lil bit...

<A HREF="http://www.xandros.com/" target="_new">Xandros</A>
<A HREF="http://info.lindows.com/coho/new/newfeatures2.html" target="_new">Lindows</A> - Free for a small amount of time...
<A HREF="http://www.mepis.org/" target="_new">Mepis</A>
<A HREF="http://www.lycoris.com/" target="_new">Lycoris</A> - Probably the most windows like along with Lindows

So, if you want easy to use with point-click-click-point-click-double click blather go for those distros.

If you want a distro that will garner you a bit more respect...go for Suse, Mandrake, Fedora, and Slackware.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS