Possible to determine CD Key in use?!

Manchild

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

I expect the answer is no - just to stop folk stealing keys from each
other but I figured I would ask. A friend of mine lent me his CD set
and keys a while back so I could mule things easily - he now wants them
back and I cant remember what set of keys are installed on my comp.
Rather than re-installing everything can I either a) figure out what CD
keys for LOD and D2 are being used or are their switcher programs out
there that will let me plug in one set.

I just dont want to give back his media and then cut him offline.

"ManChild" <starritt@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I expect the answer is no - just to stop folk stealing keys from each
> other but I figured I would ask. A friend of mine lent me his CD set
> and keys a while back so I could mule things easily - he now wants them
> back and I cant remember what set of keys are installed on my comp.
> Rather than re-installing everything can I either a) figure out what CD
> keys for LOD and D2 are being used or are their switcher programs out
> there that will let me plug in one set.
>
> I just dont want to give back his media and then cut him offline.

There used to be a utility available to reveal your D-II and LOD CS keys,
called showcdkey. I assume that it still works. A quick google search
showed several places that it can still be downloaded from.

I have no idea how to change the CD key without doing a complete install,
but I'd bet there is a way.

Ruben

"Ruben-P" <ruben_ptREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "ManChild" <starritt@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I expect the answer is no - just to stop folk stealing keys from each
>> other but I figured I would ask. A friend of mine lent me his CD set
>> and keys a while back so I could mule things easily - he now wants
>> them back and I cant remember what set of keys are installed on my
>> comp. Rather than re-installing everything can I either a) figure out
>> what CD keys for LOD and D2 are being used or are their switcher
>> programs out there that will let me plug in one set.
>>
>> I just dont want to give back his media and then cut him offline.
>
> There used to be a utility available to reveal your D-II and LOD CS
> keys, called showcdkey. I assume that it still works. A quick google
> search showed several places that it can still be downloaded from.
>
> I have no idea how to change the CD key without doing a complete
> install, but I'd bet there is a way.
>
> Ruben

I have the utility and a prog to change the keys if you need it

PM me.

Greg

"Ruben-P" <ruben_ptREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "ManChild" <starritt@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I expect the answer is no - just to stop folk stealing keys from each
> > other but I figured I would ask. A friend of mine lent me his CD set
> > and keys a while back so I could mule things easily - he now wants them
> > back and I cant remember what set of keys are installed on my comp.
> > Rather than re-installing everything can I either a) figure out what CD
> > keys for LOD and D2 are being used or are their switcher programs out
> > there that will let me plug in one set.
> >
> > I just dont want to give back his media and then cut him offline.
>
> There used to be a utility available to reveal your D-II and LOD CS keys,
> called showcdkey. I assume that it still works. A quick google search
> showed several places that it can still be downloaded from.
>
> I have no idea how to change the CD key without doing a complete install,
> but I'd bet there is a way.

http://from.no-ip.com/showcdkey.exe (For 2 weeks from this posts date)
I dont normally serve .exe files for download but this is a small one so
I'll make an exception for 2 weeks.

Hope it helps :)

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

ManChild wrote:
> I expect the answer is no - just to stop folk stealing keys from each
> other but I figured I would ask. A friend of mine lent me his CD set
> and keys a while back so I could mule things easily - he now wants
> them back and I cant remember what set of keys are installed on my
> comp. Rather than re-installing everything can I either a) figure out
> what CD keys for LOD and D2 are being used or are their switcher
> programs out there that will let me plug in one set.

Additionally to the other information, it is linked in the FAQ:
http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php#extract-key

~misfit~ wrote:
> Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
> > Additionally to the other information, it is linked in the FAQ:
> > http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php#extract-key
>
> I've downloaded that before and had no luck. This time I tried via
> your link and get the same error. Something about application failed
> to start because it couldn't find STORM.dll.

Have you tried placing the file in your D2 installation directory? That is
where your storm.dll should be located.

"Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in message
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
> > > Additionally to the other information, it is linked in the FAQ:
> > > http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php#extract-key
> >
> > I've downloaded that before and had no luck. This time I tried via
> > your link and get the same error. Something about application failed
> > to start because it couldn't find STORM.dll.
>
> Have you tried placing the file in your D2 installation directory? That is
> where your storm.dll should be located.

Yup... the showcdkey.exe only works if it is ran from within your Diablo2
folder (unless you copy a few key files to somewhere else with it :)

--

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> Trammel wrote:
> > "Gundemarie Scholz" <spamyousilly@inbox.ru> wrote in message

> >> Have you tried placing the file in your D2 installation directory?
> >> That is where your storm.dll should be located.
> >
> > Yup... the showcdkey.exe only works if it is ran from within your
> > Diablo2 folder (unless you copy a few key files to somewhere else
> > with it :)
>
> Well sheeeit! Nobody told me that and there's no reame file included with
> it. Might pay to mention it on your site Gunde.
>
> Thanks, I'll try again.

I hope that wasn't a "put-down" aimed at someone that actually spent the
time to put an FAQ together that we all use (mostly), maintain it, run a
chat-bot for you and generally be a helpful & nice person?

On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:01:31 GMT, "Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote:

>> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message

>> > Well sheeeit! Nobody told me that and there's no reame file included with
>> > it. Might pay to mention it on your site Gunde.
>> >
>> > Thanks, I'll try again.
>>
>> I hope that wasn't a "put-down"

No, it wasn't...

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

Trammel wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> > Well sheeeit! Nobody told me that and there's no reame file
> > included with it. Might pay to mention it on your site Gunde.
>
> I hope that wasn't a "put-down"

I didn't interprete it as that, so don't worry.

--
AGD2 FAQ: http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php

> Trammel wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> >> Well sheeeit! Nobody told me that and there's no reame file included
> >> with it. Might pay to mention it on your site Gunde.
> >>
> >> Thanks, I'll try again.
> >
> > I hope that wasn't a "put-down" aimed at someone that actually spent
> > the time to put an FAQ together that we all use (mostly), maintain
> > it, run a chat-bot for you and generally be a helpful & nice person?
>
> Huh? Hell no! Are you just a bit sensitive or is this a cultural thing?
> <snip>

Probably both, sorry :¬s