Lightning Sorceress

I've finally decided that i have to make a Sorceress. I've seen some pretty
destructive ones running around but 9/10 of them are of course Icemaidens. I
decided that i'd go Lightning. I know that i'll have alot of problems when i
get upto NM and Hell but i thought what the heck. It's an experience. I have
taken an unusual i thought approach in mastering Charged Bolt. That will be
my main skill. Yes Lightning itself will max out eventually but i'll mostly
be throwing Charged Bolts everywhere. It's quite amusing watching it. So far
she's throwing out 19 charged bolts at a time.

Currently she's using:

A Rare Staff (2Handed and can't remember it's name)
Stealth Armor with 25% faster cast rate on it
A Rare Ring with 10% faster cast rate
Manald Ring (helps with mana regen and so)
Sigons Helm
Sigons Boots
I can't remember what else. I have a Memory Staff in my stash. Can't wait to
get to Level 37. I also have a Leaf Staff in my stash. Not sure if i will
use some Fire or Cold based skills for a backup.

As a Lightning Sorceress is it a good thing to put alot of points into
Static Field?

--
Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.

In article <428e836c@news.comindico.com.au>,
"Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au> wrote:

> I've finally decided that i have to make a Sorceress. I've seen some pretty
> destructive ones running around but 9/10 of them are of course Icemaidens. I
> decided that i'd go Lightning. I know that i'll have alot of problems when i
> get upto NM and Hell but i thought what the heck. It's an experience. I have
> taken an unusual i thought approach in mastering Charged Bolt. That will be
> my main skill. Yes Lightning itself will max out eventually but i'll mostly
> be throwing Charged Bolts everywhere. It's quite amusing watching it. So far
> she's throwing out 19 charged bolts at a time.
>
> Currently she's using:
>
> A Rare Staff (2Handed and can't remember it's name)
> Stealth Armor with 25% faster cast rate on it
> A Rare Ring with 10% faster cast rate
> Manald Ring (helps with mana regen and so)
> Sigons Helm
> Sigons Boots
> I can't remember what else. I have a Memory Staff in my stash. Can't wait to
> get to Level 37. I also have a Leaf Staff in my stash. Not sure if i will
> use some Fire or Cold based skills for a backup.
>
> As a Lightning Sorceress is it a good thing to put alot of points into
> Static Field?

I have a lvl 88 CL/FO Sorc on the USEast SCL right now. Maxed FO, CL, L,
LM. One point in Teleport, ES, SF & Warmth. Putting remaining points
back & forth in CM and Charged Bolt.

One point in static + skills is plenty. Using full Tal Rasha's set right
now. (Still haven't found a +2/+2 Cold Lighting Tal's orb yet)

Chain Lightning uses a lot of mana. I find her Holy Freeze merc with an
INSIGHT stick to be invaluable for the Meditation Aura.

I have around 300% MF on her right now and can run through most of the
game. A total MF run will include: The Pit, Countess, Ancient Tunnels,
Meph, Diablo, Baal, Pindle, Eldritch & Shenk,

In order to do WSK/Baal, make sure you have more life than mana to avoid
the Mana curse.

In Chaos Sanctuary, I teleport away when merc gets Iron Maidened.

When I come across a Cold/Lightning Immune, I clear everything else
nearby, and then pin them with Telekinesis to make my Merc's task easier.

"Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au> wrote...

> I've finally decided that i have to make a Sorceress. I've seen some
> pretty destructive ones running around but 9/10 of them are of course
> Icemaidens. I decided that i'd go Lightning. I know that i'll have alot of
> problems when i get upto NM and Hell but i thought what the heck. It's an
> experience. I have taken an unusual i thought approach in mastering
> Charged Bolt. That will be my main skill. Yes Lightning itself will max
> out eventually but i'll mostly be throwing Charged Bolts everywhere. It's
> quite amusing watching it. So far she's throwing out 19 charged bolts at a
> time.
>
> [snip]

This is actually not a new idea, as you may have guessed. I was reading
somwhere about different Sorceress builds, and the "Sparkler" caught my
attention. My first thought was, of course, "Are you kidding? Charged
Bolt????" Well, I'm here to tell you that it's amazing. Don't waste a
point in anything else except one in teleport and static field.

Once you're getting close to NM level, you need to start investing points
into a secondary elemental skill. I chose Blizzard over Frozen Orb for two
reasons: first, it is the most powerful you can get without synergies, and
second, the fact that it can kill off screen is unbeatable. I killed
Mephisto off-screen, since his lightning resists made my efforts against him
there useless.

After I maxed out CB, I basically divided my skill points between Ligtning
Mastery and Blizzard until both of those were maxed. I've dumped a few
points into Cold Mastery since those three were maxed, and that helps out
Blizzard's effectiveness quite a bit, even though it doesn't "add" any more
damage.

Right now, my sorc is level 71, purely solo, in Hell difficulty nearing the
end of Act I. I have unused skill points laying there and I'm undecided now
how to use them. (I keep looking at the max damage of CL, but I'm not
swayed... I'm thinking she might actually make a viable tri-elementalist.)
The dual-elemental battles with Blizz and CB seem to work amazingly well.
Plus skill items will be a must when you get to Hell.

> As a Lightning Sorceress is it a good thing to put alot of points into
> Static Field?

Put one point into SF, and let your plus skill items add to that.

Jake Mysterio wrote::

> I've finally decided that i have to make a Sorceress. I've seen some pretty
> destructive ones running around but 9/10 of them are of course Icemaidens. I
> decided that i'd go Lightning. I know that i'll have alot of problems when i
> get upto NM and Hell but i thought what the heck. It's an experience. I have
> taken an unusual i thought approach in mastering Charged Bolt. That will be
> my main skill. Yes Lightning itself will max out eventually but i'll mostly
> be throwing Charged Bolts everywhere. It's quite amusing watching it. So far
> she's throwing out 19 charged bolts at a time.

I once built a charged boltress, but gave up mid of nightmare. I think
with more care you can take her through the whole game, though.

The choice of lightning itself doesn't seem to be a serious problem. I
currently have a lightning/fire sorceress in hell, and after some
initial difficulties with my equipment it now works much better than
expected.

> I have a Memory Staff in my stash. Can't wait to
> get to Level 37. I also have a Leaf Staff in my stash. Not sure if i will
> use some Fire or Cold based skills for a backup.

Mine is currently using a chromatic ire two handed staff, but she misses
a shield (and the option to get better resists or +skills from the
shield) very much.

Cold spells are generally more useful than fire I think, yet I made
fairly good experiences with fire wall and fire ball.

> As a Lightning Sorceress is it a good thing to put alot of points into
> Static Field?

I only use 1 and hope for +skills from equipment. I was told that a
total of 10 points (hard points and +skills) is desireacble becuase this
covers most of the viewable area on screen.

My sorc has a level 7 static field, and that seems to work ok. For her
it's just a backup if everything else fails, or if the other spells
don't work becuase of the immunities.

--
c.u. Hajo

Here are my sorceress's stats, sice you commented upon my other comments in
another thread:

Name: Jehuquien
Level: 72

Str: 145 actual / 157 enhanced
Dex: 80 actual / 113 enhanced
Vit: 95 actual / 149 enhanced
Mc2: 65 actual / 97 enhanced

Unused stat points: 60

Spells

Lightning
20 in Charged Bolt
1 in Static Field
7 in Lightning
1 in Chain Lightning
20 in Lightning Mastery
1 in Telekinesis
1 in Teleport
1 in Energy Shield

Cold
1 in Frost Bolt
1 in Frost Nova
1 in Ice Blast
1 in Glacial Spike
20 in Blizzard
3 in Cold Mastery
1 in Frozen Shield
1 in Shiver Armor

And, since I've decided to attempt a tri-elementalist, I'm now building
Meteor starting with the prerequisites.

Fire
1 in Fire Bolt
1 in Inferno
1 in Fire Ball

Plusses to skills total 7 right now (which makes all the difference in the
world, in Hell), but I'm hoping to get higher with a Spirit shield, once I
find a Monarch or Aegis shield. I still have to work out how to get her
resistances up using that shield. Taking away Ancients' Pledge will reduce
her already perilous resistances.

Equipment Used:
Skulder's Ire russet armor
Peasant Crown war hat
Ancients' Pledge kite shield
Waterwalk sharkskin boots
Lenymo sash upgraded to demonhide sash
Soul Knuckle rare sharkskin gloves
Spirit long sword

and.....

I feel stupid admitting this...

Two SOJs and an Anni, all three of which were purchased from d2items.com....
Sad, I know...

I play solo, and I pretty much gave up on my NM Act II defensive merc a
while ago, so he's only level 55 now. The only danger she is in right now
in Act II Hell is from very fast cold immunes. Otherwise, she pretty much
handles everything else, and that is no mean feat in Hell, IMO. Cold
immunes were may last sorc's major flaw, since she was my first D2X child.
With her, a second mastery was never planned because I didn't know about the
immunes in Hell. So Meteor was her second choice. That was powerful enough
eventually to kill efficiently, but it is really hard to get the hang of it.

"Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> I've finally decided that i have to make a Sorceress. I've seen some
> pretty destructive ones running around but 9/10 of them are of course
> Icemaidens. I decided that i'd go Lightning. I know that i'll have alot of
> problems when i get upto NM and Hell but i thought what the heck. It's an
> experience. I have taken an unusual i thought approach in mastering
> Charged Bolt. That will be my main skill. Yes Lightning itself will max
> out eventually but i'll mostly be throwing Charged Bolts everywhere. It's
> quite amusing watching it. So far she's throwing out 19 charged bolts at a
> time.
>
> Currently she's using:
>
> A Rare Staff (2Handed and can't remember it's name)
> Stealth Armor with 25% faster cast rate on it
> A Rare Ring with 10% faster cast rate
> Manald Ring (helps with mana regen and so)
> Sigons Helm
> Sigons Boots
> I can't remember what else. I have a Memory Staff in my stash. Can't wait
> to get to Level 37. I also have a Leaf Staff in my stash. Not sure if i
> will use some Fire or Cold based skills for a backup.
>
> As a Lightning Sorceress is it a good thing to put alot of points into
> Static Field?
>

> --
> Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.

Why 1 point in Energy Shield? I've read in quite a few posts that it is a
wasted skill. Does it benefit in any way?

"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote
in message news:mxske.50979$w15.12493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> Why 1 point in Energy Shield? I've read in quite a few posts that it is a
> wasted skill. Does it benefit in any way?

Well, I have read that, too. I'm not the most experienced player here, by
any means. I have found it helpful, though. That, as well as Shiver Armor.
With the plus skills, one point gives me 8, so that helps, too. My sorc
doesn't have a lot of life points, and one hit from some monsters, or
inadvertently getting surrounded by several fast ones, results in immediate
death if her mana is not contributing to her life. I found the Undead
Stygian Dolls to be expecially problematic without ES. They were just
slaughtering her. HTH