jhj's maphack - valid or trojan?

David

I download the 0.1.1 version of Jhj's maphack and ran the gui_mh.exe
program. After the install, I loaded D2, it auto. minimized the
program! When I attempted to select D2, the system continued the
auto-minimize issue.

I re booted the machine and the same conditions occur. Does anyone
know if this program installs a DLL or patch to the system or auto
run a program that will reload on boot?

I also noticed that the gui_mh program disappeared after I ran it.

I am running Win2k and my START button has turned from dark blue to
light blue! I think this occurred post-install.

David wrote:
> I download the 0.1.1 version of Jhj's maphack and ran the gui_mh.exe
> program. After the install, I loaded D2, it auto. minimized the
> program! When I attempted to select D2, the system continued the
> auto-minimize issue.
>
> I re booted the machine and the same conditions occur. Does anyone
> know if this program installs a DLL or patch to the system or auto
> run a program that will reload on boot?
>
> I also noticed that the gui_mh program disappeared after I ran it.
>
> I am running Win2k and my START button has turned from dark blue to
> light blue! I think this occurred post-install.

Prince Jhj thanks you for your hospitality... and for your eyes... and
for your tongue... but I'm afraid more is needed.
--
Zamboni

"David" <martindb@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I download the 0.1.1 version of Jhj's maphack and ran the gui_mh.exe
> program. After the install, I loaded D2, it auto. minimized the
> program! When I attempted to select D2, the system continued the
> auto-minimize issue.
>
> I re booted the machine and the same conditions occur. Does anyone
> know if this program installs a DLL or patch to the system or auto
> run a program that will reload on boot?
>
> I also noticed that the gui_mh program disappeared after I ran it.
>
> I am running Win2k and my START button has turned from dark blue to
> light blue! I think this occurred post-install.

OMG!!! You've been start-button hacked!
Your start-button now belongs to the russian psuedo-mafia!!!! :¬O

Format!!! Its the only way to save the rainforest!!!!

David wrote:
> I download the 0.1.1 version of Jhj's maphack and ran the gui_mh.exe
> program. After the install, I loaded D2, it auto. minimized the
> program! When I attempted to select D2, the system continued the
> auto-minimize issue.
>
> I re booted the machine and the same conditions occur. Does anyone
> know if this program installs a DLL or patch to the system or auto
> run a program that will reload on boot?

This little text was written for Mousepad's Maphack back in 1.09 times, but
it might still be valid:
http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php#maphack

Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
> David wrote:
> > I download the 0.1.1 version of Jhj's maphack and ran the gui_mh.exe
> > program. After the install, I loaded D2, it auto. minimized the
> > program! When I attempted to select D2, the system continued the
> > auto-minimize issue.
> >
> > I re booted the machine and the same conditions occur. Does anyone
> > know if this program installs a DLL or patch to the system or auto
> > run a program that will reload on boot?
>
> This little text was written for Mousepad's Maphack back in 1.09 times, but
> it might still be valid:
> http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php#maphack

But that was *Mousepad's* maphack. Jhj's maphack is less intrusive,
since the auto-minimize keeps him off of Battle.net rather ncely, don't
you think? :)
--
Zamboni

David wrote:
> I noticed that the launch exe"gui_mh.exe" disappears after it is run.
> From the first time I ran the the program, I have been having issues
> with D2. I was running D2 about 20 min prior to installation and I
> did not install any program, system updates, etc.
>
> Does this process install a DLL or exe into the system and run on
> startup? Or are one of the D2 files altered? Eg. can I return my
> system to a pre-jhj state?

1) Uninstall D2.
2) Run every Trojan remover you can find.
2a) (Optional) Reformat the disk and reinstall all software.
3) Reinstall D2, change the passwords on your accounts (assuming you
still have any).
4) Learn to play without hacking the map.

Whatever Jhj installed on your system, it was not the One True Maphack.
Almost all of the False Maphacks are known to be infested with trojans
- Jhj is after your account passwords (and if he gets your PayPal and
eBay passwords, so much the better).
--
Zamboni

David

I noticed that the launch exe"gui_mh.exe" disappears after it is run.
From the first time I ran the the program, I have been having issues