One output at a time for Geforce?

solomani

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
I setup TV out on my geforce2 (the cable for my geforce 3 is broke, so the geforce2 will have to do until I get a new cable) and I can't get it to output to both the TV and the monitor?

I am using the Nvidia detonator drivers 30.82 and theres only an option to pick one not output to both. I assume there must be a way to do this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You need to enable dual displays in advanced settings for the driver.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

solomani

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Thanks. Do sound a little more stupid, where is the dual monitor setting or is it something extra I have to install?

In my desktop settings/advanced I only have the following tabs;

General, Adapter, Monitor, Troubleshoot, Color Management, Geforce2GTS, Device Selection and Color Correction.

I went through all the sub buttons and couldnt see anything remotely like dual display setup. Or is it something under the nview desktop manager? Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IIRC from my MX it was it's own tab, but maybe under the GeForce2GTS menu or the Device Selection? It said "Enable dual displays".

Now, you have a GTS, not an MX, so having independant displays would be out of the question, but you should be able to put the same image on both displays.

There were some very poorly made cards with cheap components that wouldn't do even that from what I heard, in which case you need to use something like TV-Tool to do it, but then you might end up having to set your monitor resolution to 640x480@30Hz, not a good option.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I believe the first nvidia reference boards to allow dual output were the GF4's. I remember my Gf2 Ultra and GF3 could only use 1 output at a time. More recently some manufacturers have been coming out with non-reference designs which allow dual output with the newer drivers though. eVGA is the biggest maker of such cards.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

SnakeEyes

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
Actually, most of the GeForce cards can output both to the monitor and to the tv-out simultaneously. It sometimes requires the use of something like TV-Tool (mentioned above) to enable this, otherwise it'll only show on or the other. Also, some if not all of the GF2/GF3 (not MX) cards required that the monitor resolution be dropped to match the TV-Out resolution (ie, both the same) while using both.

If what you really want is independed displays, you can get a GF2MX or GF4 (any with at least the TV output, but one with dual monitor outputs and the tv-out are also available[VGA & DVI + TV-Out, usually]). The cheapest route that still provides basically the same sort of features that you're used to, as well as a slight performance boost, would be to look for a GF4MX440. Keep in mind that none of the MXs are DX8.0/8.1 capable (compatible yes, capable no, since none have full pixel and vertex shaders). For that the choice from nV hardware would be GF3 or GF4Ti (but GF3 has the same output limitations you're seeing right now- ie., no true dual output, just clone).

SnakeEyes