Battlenet intimidation from a frustrated dueller

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Hey -- just started playing on Bnet this week. I set up a non-password
game on USEast. Got my SC character up to level 18, then someone came
into the game asking me to duel (I was in town). I explained I was a
newbie and wasn't interested. The person responded with some green
messages (whispers?) that he was hacking my account. Then he left.

I realize that this is 12-year-old behavior, and a result of creating a
game w/o a password. However, is there anything to the hacking part,
apart from someone guessing my password?

Absolutely not. Change your password just in case but NO! it can't
happen unless you downloaded something dodgy i.e. a keylogger

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Nobody wrote:
> Hey -- just started playing on Bnet this week. I set up a non-password
> game on USEast. Got my SC character up to level 18, then someone came
> into the game asking me to duel (I was in town). I explained I was a
> newbie and wasn't interested. The person responded with some green
> messages (whispers?) that he was hacking my account. Then he left.

I reported this to bnet, including a screenshot. Here was the droid's
response:

> Hello,
>
> If you are having an issue with a specific user harassing you in a chat channel, please use one of the appropriate Battle.net chat channel commands. The simplest action you can take is to /ignore them, or turn on the /dnd (Do Not Disturb) feature using the appropriate Battle.net commands - ("http://www.battle.net/info/commands.shtml"). In addition, there are a number of useful Friends List commands, including the ability to ignore messages from anyone who is not on your Friends List. More information on Friends List commands can be found at ("http://www.battle.net/info/friends.shtml").
>

> Regards,
>
> Marty T.
> Online Support
> Blizzard Entertainment
> http://www.Blizzard.com

I wonder if they treat spam bots the same way? Sounds like there's no
point in larting (google is your friend if you don't know what a LART is).

"Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
> Hey -- just started playing on Bnet this week. I set up a non-password
> game on USEast. Got my SC character up to level 18, then someone came
> into the game asking me to duel (I was in town). I explained I was a
> newbie and wasn't interested. The person responded with some green
> messages (whispers?) that he was hacking my account. Then he left.
>
> I realize that this is 12-year-old behavior, and a result of creating a
> game w/o a password. However, is there anything to the hacking part,
> apart from someone guessing my password?

Alot of idiots on bNet will say they are going to hack your account when you
remind them how stupid their claims are they get quite upset.
Every time someone has threatened to hack me / my account... I have
responded by telling them my real IP address and domain names that point at
my PC... I also then give them a list of the OS Im using, routers they'd
have to pass through, firewalls, antviruses, etc... which is more than
enough information for them to launch an internet based attack... and have
yet to have anyone attempt it.

The closest anyone has got to "hacking" my account was to:
1) Ask me to download and run a "hack" that they said would let me dupe
items (A keylogger to try and steal my password)
2) Around 15 failed attempts to guess my password - lol

As long as you dont give anyone your password (even if they pretend to be
your friend for months) and also dont run "hack" programs you dont know are
clean & trustworthy then you should be fine :¬)

Also: Just incase you are a new user of the internet... make sure you are
running an Antivirus & Firewall 24/7 (Like everyone who is online should be
:¬)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> Nobody wrote:
> > Nobody wrote:
> >> Hey -- just started playing on Bnet this week. I set up a
> >> non-password
> >> game on USEast. Got my SC character up to level 18, then someone came
> >> into the game asking me to duel (I was in town). I explained I was a
> >> newbie and wasn't interested. The person responded with some green
> >> messages (whispers?) that he was hacking my account. Then he left.
> >
> > I reported this to bnet, including a screenshot. Here was the droid's
> > response:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> If you are having an issue with a specific user harassing you in a
> >> chat channel, please use one of the appropriate Battle.net chat
> >> channel commands. The simplest action you can take is to /ignore
> >> them, or turn on the /dnd (Do Not Disturb) feature using the
> >> appropriate Battle.net commands -
> >> ("http://www.battle.net/info/commands.shtml"). In addition, there
> >> are a number of useful Friends List commands, including the ability
> >> to ignore messages from anyone who is not on your Friends List.
> >> More information on Friends List commands can be found at
> >> ("http://www.battle.net/info/friends.shtml").
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Marty T.
> >> Online Support
> >> Blizzard Entertainment
> >> http://www.Blizzard.com
> >
> > I wonder if they treat spam bots the same way? Sounds like there's no
> > point in larting (google is your friend if you don't know what a LART
> > is).
>
> Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool?
>
> Wikipedia is also your friend.

Probably what he ment but it is being used out of context.
To Lart is to mess with someone while not letting them know it was you (to
"put them in their place").
As bNet is the one cancelling accounts, etc then your not Larting... neither
is bNet as it accepts the responsibility. To Lart requires smarts &
cunning... to send a complaint to someone else can be done by anyone.

My guess is Nobody saw the term recently hence the misuse of it and not
explaining it to other users of the ng.

....Just a guess though ;¬)

KAOS

On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:06:41 GMT, "Trammel" <Me@Server.com> dared
speak in front of ME:

>"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Nobody wrote:
>> >
>> > I reported this to bnet, including a screenshot. Here was the droid's
>> > response:

>> > I wonder if they treat spam bots the same way? Sounds like there's no
>> > point in larting (google is your friend if you don't know what a LART
>> > is).
>>
>> Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool?
>>
>> Wikipedia is also your friend.
>
>Probably what he ment but it is being used out of context.
>To Lart is to mess with someone while not letting them know it was you (to
>"put them in their place").
>As bNet is the one cancelling accounts, etc then your not Larting... neither
>is bNet as it accepts the responsibility. To Lart requires smarts &
>cunning... to send a complaint to someone else can be done by anyone.
>
>My guess is Nobody saw the term recently hence the misuse of it and not
>explaining it to other users of the ng.
>
>...Just a guess though ;¬)

Eh. LART is commonly used to refer to initiating a TOS enforcement as
well. Course, that's usually when it involved invoking the C*B*L
(tinc) for support...

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from