PNY Ti4200 & Soyo

DSmooth

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
Here's the long and the short...I've rebuilt my PC approximately a dozen times to get the Ti4200 to work, but to no avail. It could be 5 min or 30 min, but I will always lock-up in Windows (eg, apps, internet browsing, etc). I contacted PNY and they mentioned that their have been a number of reported incompatibility problems with nVidia and Soyo Dragon mobos and suggested that I contact Soyo to get a mobo swap. I then contacted Soyo and they mentioned that I needed to update mobo drivers, nvidia drivers, bios, etc. Except for upgrading my PSU, I've literally done it all!

Here's my setup:
-T-Bird 1.4GHz (133MHz Bus)
-Soyo K7-V Dragon - Bios Revision: K7VX_2BA2 (4/29/02 - Latest Release) Original Dragon
-768MB of Crucial DDR RAM - Updated [vcache] settings to be able to utilize 768MB, I also removed one stick and it still locked up.
-Antec 300W PSU
-O/S: Win98SE
-CMEDIA onboard audio
-Onboard NIC
-Creative DVD
-TDK velocd

Do you think a new PSU will solve my Windows issue? Or is the GF4 and Soyo Dragon just not compatible.

THANKS.

I'm running a SOYO Dragon K7-V, and a GF4 TI-4400 video card, Win98SE, 512MB RAM, very similar to your setup with no problems but one big difference, I'm running a 400W power supply now. I did have some funky stuff happening with the 300W P/S I had before I went to the 400W P/S but they're gone now, I would suggest you moving up to at least a 400W P/S. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

DSmooth

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
Thanks, Ryan. I upgraded my PSU last night to 430W so I'll see if that was the problem tonight. What brand was your GF4?