Another Insight...

Last response: in Video Games
May 30, 2005 6:07:19 PM

Hi,

The Insight runeword is something I start to like more and more...

I until yesterday-evening only had one Insight stick in my inventory; a
medium one (level 16 meditation aura, about 200%ED) in a plain Partizan.
Damage output was nice, and it's in the hands of a Prayer merc, who is
accompanying my FB/Blizzard sorceress.

She's currently somewhere around Act 3 Hell, but the merc is more or less
running out of steam, because an Insighted Partizan deals not enough
damage, and he therefore leeches back too little.

I've been on the lookout for a better polearm to make another Insight in,
and was hoping for any elite polearm to drop, because even a non-ethereal
one would still be an improvement. No luck yet, unfortunately, I'm finding
plenty of plain Ogre Axes, but nothing I could use. However,
yesterday-evening I had a triple set of luck:

1. I found an ethereal Partizan (okok, not elite, but still nice);
2. It got 4 sockets in the socketing recipe;
3. I made a rather nice Insight in it: Level 17 meditation aura/254%ED!

This thing deals about ~100-~450 dmg, and it about double the damage
output from the merc. So I hope the merc can manage a bit better in Hell
now, test-drive will be this evening probably. ;)

I've also been thinking of putting Insight on other chars. One example
would be the merc of my Skelliemancer. While a summoner is usually not
that mana-intensive, mine rather is: he has maxed CE, and also has maxed
Bone Spirit, synergized by points in Bone Spear and the Marrowwalk bug.

When going full-bore on the CE's and Bone Spirits, I drain his mana supply
in about 10-15 seconds. After that , the army of course still beats up any
enemy they encounter, but quick killing of large groups is out of the
question then, until I gulp a mana potion from the inventory, or find one.

His merc is there for two reasons only: provide the Might aura to the
Horde, and get the first body down, so I can start the CE chain-reaction.
For this last 'feature' he uses a rather specific set of equipment:
Guillaume's Face and a Duress armor. Weapon currently is an Obedience
Thresher, but I'm considering going back to a Shael/Shael Amned ethereal
upgraded Hone Sundan. The third option would be a nice Insight stick:
loads of damage is possible, but no Crushing Blow and no Life Leech. But
the Obedience showed me Life Leech is not that essential, so that's no
problem. Less Crushing Blow, however, would probably mean big bosses (Like
Baal) go down less quickly, and the trick should to figure out if the
'unlimited' mana supply due to Insight's meditation aura compensates for
that...

Will be continued. ;)

Regards,

Patrick.

More about : insight

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:07:20 PM

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:c52aa$429b01f7$82a1d3bf$4952@news2.tudelft.nl...

> Hi,
>
> The Insight runeword is something I start to like more and more...
>
> I until yesterday-evening only had one Insight stick in my inventory; a
> medium one (level 16 meditation aura, about 200%ED) in a plain Partizan.
> Damage output was nice, and it's in the hands of a Prayer merc, who is
> accompanying my FB/Blizzard sorceress.
>
> She's currently somewhere around Act 3 Hell, but the merc is more or less
> running out of steam, because an Insighted Partizan deals not enough
> damage, and he therefore leeches back too little.
>
> I've been on the lookout for a better polearm to make another Insight in,
> and was hoping for any elite polearm to drop, because even a non-ethereal
> one would still be an improvement. No luck yet, unfortunately, I'm finding
> plenty of plain Ogre Axes, but nothing I could use. However,
> yesterday-evening I had a triple set of luck:
>
> 1. I found an ethereal Partizan (okok, not elite, but still nice);
> 2. It got 4 sockets in the socketing recipe;
> 3. I made a rather nice Insight in it: Level 17 meditation aura/254%ED!
>
> This thing deals about ~100-~450 dmg, and it about double the damage
> output from the merc. So I hope the merc can manage a bit better in Hell
> now, test-drive will be this evening probably. ;)
>
> I've also been thinking of putting Insight on other chars. One example
> would be the merc of my Skelliemancer. While a summoner is usually not
> that mana-intensive, mine rather is: he has maxed CE, and also has maxed
> Bone Spirit, synergized by points in Bone Spear and the Marrowwalk bug.
>
> When going full-bore on the CE's and Bone Spirits, I drain his mana supply
> in about 10-15 seconds. After that , the army of course still beats up any
> enemy they encounter, but quick killing of large groups is out of the
> question then, until I gulp a mana potion from the inventory, or find one.
>
> His merc is there for two reasons only: provide the Might aura to the
> Horde, and get the first body down, so I can start the CE chain-reaction.
> For this last 'feature' he uses a rather specific set of equipment:
> Guillaume's Face and a Duress armor. Weapon currently is an Obedience
> Thresher, but I'm considering going back to a Shael/Shael Amned ethereal
> upgraded Hone Sundan. The third option would be a nice Insight stick:
> loads of damage is possible, but no Crushing Blow and no Life Leech. But
> the Obedience showed me Life Leech is not that essential, so that's no
> problem. Less Crushing Blow, however, would probably mean big bosses (Like
> Baal) go down less quickly, and the trick should to figure out if the
> 'unlimited' mana supply due to Insight's meditation aura compensates for
> that...

My ES/FO sorc just upgraded her merc's insight to a cryptic axe based one.
That plus the mercs tal helm just about keep him alive when going slow in
hell. In a mob scene like an 8 player game he will usually get smacked down
before I can drop potions on him or switch back to teleport to tele him out
of danger. Since I rely on him to down anything cold immune (static and
chain lightning are my other tree skills), keeping him alive is important, I
use ES to keep the sorc alive, with the insight, she only gets hurt when
mana burned or when really really hit hard. I have about 40 dr and 25 mdr to
back up the ES.

So far the cryptic axe is the best 4 socket polearm I have found, I am still
keeping my eyes out for that elusive eth 4 socket weapon to upgrade further.

I still wish they had created insight in a bow or sword so an act 1 or 3
merc could carry it.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:51:55 PM

In article <d7hne3.1l4.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

[A lot about the Insight runeword]

[snippage]

>Ok, so Insight has no CB but it does have a certain amount of Critcal Strike
>and, for those bosses, I think that the damage your necro can do with bone
>spirit makes up for it. Also, if you're MFing the stick gives you another
>23% if the merc gets the last shot in.

I know Insights adds 5 to the passive/magic Amazon skill 'Critical
Strike', but does this work on a merc? I have the impression it does NOT,
but I'd like to be proven wrong, since that adds at least some extra
'punch' to Insight...

[snip]

>It adds a whole new dimension to playing a skellimancer with Insight. Those
>'back-up' spells become a lot more viable as attacks, almost to the point
>where the skellys are the back-up in a lot of situations. Basically allows
>you to have an hybrid bone/skellimancer. Especially with Marrowwalks.

Well, that's what my Skelliemancer currently probably also is: maxed SM
and Raise Skeleton, put 1 point each in most of the rest of the Summon
tree (the standard skelliemancer build). I then also maxed CE, and maxed
Bone Spirit, and am probably going to 'finish' this build soon but putting
all other points in Bone Spear. The guy is currently lvl92, and I'm about
85% towards lvl93, and that will probably be the end of the levelling,
because it's going very slow now.

Anyhow, I found a regular 4 socketed Thresher yesterday-evening, so I can
make yet another Insight. I might try that on him, to see how that goes.

He will still have the CB from Guillaume's Face and Duress, so he will
still be able to do 'something' to end bosses...

Regards,

Patrick.
!