WinXp Q: D2 keeps minimizing by itself!

Hey all,

Quite probably having too much fun playing my new nec through A4, but I've
noticed an odd problem when I first begin playing. I'll just be truckin'
along, cursing the demon hordes and then POP, I'm back to the desktop! I
click the tab to bring D2 back up and often I'll be kicked right back to the
desktop. This will happen a few times and then stop. Any ideas? Should I
disable my screen saver perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

David Simmons

"David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Quite probably having too much fun playing my new nec through A4, but I've
> noticed an odd problem when I first begin playing. I'll just be truckin'
> along, cursing the demon hordes and then POP, I'm back to the desktop! I
> click the tab to bring D2 back up and often I'll be kicked right back to
the
> desktop. This will happen a few times and then stop. Any ideas? Should
> disable my screen saver perhaps?

With win98se I get the odd random minimizing when the OS decides to issue an
error, just the other day I had this comp burning in a char, while I was
watching movies on another comp on the network. I watched several short
movies stored on this machine across the lan when suddenly WMP decided that
it lost the network resource to the file, at the same time D2 decided to
jump out of the mule parking game and minimize. No error message on the
machine running D2, just the strange error on the machine running WMP.

XP is supposed to reboot itself when resources are low to avoid a BSOD.
Perhaps your system was at the point of needing to do that to save itself.

David Simmons wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Quite probably having too much fun playing my new nec through A4, but I've
> noticed an odd problem when I first begin playing. I'll just be truckin'
> along, cursing the demon hordes and then POP, I'm back to the desktop! I
> click the tab to bring D2 back up and often I'll be kicked right back to the
> desktop. This will happen a few times and then stop. Any ideas? Should I
> disable my screen saver perhaps?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> David Simmons
It might do this when the system updates virus definitions or checks
something on the internet. Does it still do this if you wait a while
after powering up before entering battle.net? Are any email apps
running in the background?
--
Zamboni

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

"john graesser" <graesser@tca.net> wrote in message

> "David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
<snippers>
> XP is supposed to reboot itself when resources are low to avoid a BSOD.
> Perhaps your system was at the point of needing to do that to save itself.

That's not what is happening. I have the same thing happen on my laptop as
soon as it boots, and there is no lack of resources on that machine. I have
yet to figure out what is causing it, but I do have a solution: as soon as
Diablo 2 takes over the screen (fullscreen), click as fast as you can,
attempting to hit the "battle.net" or "single player" button. Once you have
been able to start a game, the miminizing stops. But until you get it
going, it just keeps on minimizing.

I also noticed that after a while, it seems to stop by itself. For example,
when I installed Pirates, it did the same thing...but after a few days of
this, but machine seems to recognize that it shouldn't minimize the
application and stops attempting to.

Windows XP: Ya gotta love it.

In article <mx0oe.249$HM.236@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, David
Simmons (xenobuzz@earthlink.net) dropped a +5 bundle of words...

> Hey all,
>
> Quite probably having too much fun playing my new nec through A4, but I've
> noticed an odd problem when I first begin playing. I'll just be truckin'
> along, cursing the demon hordes and then POP, I'm back to the desktop! I
> click the tab to bring D2 back up and often I'll be kicked right back to the
> desktop. This will happen a few times and then stop. Any ideas? Should I
> disable my screen saver perhaps?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> David Simmons

Are you accidently hitting the window key instead of ctrl or alt?

It'll do it then too.

--
Starshine Moonbeam
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

"Starshine Moonbeam" <silverbells@tacoshells.com> wrote in message
> In article <mx0oe.249$HM.236@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, David
> Simmons (xenobuzz@earthlink.net) dropped a +5 bundle of words...
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Quite probably having too much fun playing my new nec through A4, but
I've
> > noticed an odd problem when I first begin playing. I'll just be
truckin'
> > along, cursing the demon hordes and then POP, I'm back to the desktop!
> > click the tab to bring D2 back up and often I'll be kicked right back to
the
> > desktop. This will happen a few times and then stop. Any ideas?
Should I
> > disable my screen saver perhaps?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > David Simmons
> >

> Are you accidently hitting the window key instead of ctrl or alt?
>
> It'll do it then too.

Yup... my keyboard has that "feature" built into it too... I think they some
idiot made a buggy/flawed keyboard idea and they thought "Well... we'll call
it a feature... it works for M$!!!" :¬P

Anyways... you can disable that annoying "bug" on your keyboard with a
simple registry edit ;¬)

To disable windows key for your keyboard:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_windows_key/

On 3 Jun 2005 17:02:20 -0700, "Zamboni" <thezambonis@gmail.com> wrote:

>It might do this when the system updates virus definitions or checks
>something on the internet. Does it still do this if you wait a while
>after powering up before entering battle.net? Are any email apps
>running in the background?
>--
>Zamboni

Updates can bring you back to your desktop and there's no shortage of
programs that place update files on your computer. Check your
processes folder in Windows Task Manager. Google the files and see if
any are unecessary update files. Windows XP has an update file that
loads on every start up, but (unlike many update programs) it
terminates after a few minutes. I'd also check for scheduled tasks
that may be running without you knowing it. Disabling you virus
update function is risky unless you rememeber to do it yourself.