Muling for dummies (noobies?)

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Hi there,

I'm on US East Ladder 1.10 LOD. I only have one copy of LOD and I'd like
to dump some of my items to a mule. However, I'm in NM now, and it's
harder since my mule is still in normal.

I had some bad luck trying to create a game in Normal level and move the
items. When my mule wanted to come in, the game was gone. The loss
wasn't that bad, but now I'm gun-shy about this kind of operation. Maybe
I've just been lucky before...

What are the basics about games wrt muling? I.e., when does a game go
away? I had heard that the game has to be active for 10 min at least,
but I've experimented and shown that not to be true in all cases.

Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.

Thanks in advance

My method
Start game with mule
hit enter then /time enter
this give you a time reference to look to see if you have the 5 minutes
required to hold the game open.
do a countess run to burn off the 5 minutes and snag a couple cheap runes.
/time again
got 5 minutes? good
leave game and return with main char(if you blew the time you won't get in)
drop stuff, return with mule.

Nobody wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm on US East Ladder 1.10 LOD. I only have one copy of LOD and I'd like
> to dump some of my items to a mule. However, I'm in NM now, and it's
> harder since my mule is still in normal.
>
> I had some bad luck trying to create a game in Normal level and move the
> items. When my mule wanted to come in, the game was gone. The loss
> wasn't that bad, but now I'm gun-shy about this kind of operation. Maybe
> I've just been lucky before...
>
> What are the basics about games wrt muling? I.e., when does a game go
> away? I had heard that the game has to be active for 10 min at least,
> but I've experimented and shown that not to be true in all cases.
>
> Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
> always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.
>
> Thanks in advance

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

"Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
<snippers>
> What are the basics about games wrt muling? I.e., when does a game go
> away? I had heard that the game has to be active for 10 min at least,
> but I've experimented and shown that not to be true in all cases.
>
> Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
> always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.
>
> Thanks in advance

Generally, the approach that works is to create a normal game and play for 5
minutes. I've always found that the amount of time it takes me to get to
Baal and kill him is around 7-8 minutes, which is sufficient. Then leave
the game and re-enter it with the character holding the item(s) you wish to
mule. Drop the item. Leave the game and enter with the mule. Pick up the
item. Rinse and repeat.

If you leave a game before the 5 minutes are up, the game disappears.

The element of uncertainty here is the general unpredicability of
battle.net. Most experienced players have more than one story of having a
game disappear spontaneously, usually when a lot of high-value items are
laying on the ground. I try to only mule 3-4 items at a time as a result,
and I never mule a really valuable item with the above approach. Instead,
find a trustworthy friend who can hold the item for you while you bring the
mule into the game.

Nobody wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm on US East Ladder 1.10 LOD. I only have one copy of LOD and I'd
> like to dump some of my items to a mule. However, I'm in NM now, and
> it's harder since my mule is still in normal.
>
> I had some bad luck trying to create a game in Normal level and move
> the items. When my mule wanted to come in, the game was gone. The loss
> wasn't that bad, but now I'm gun-shy about this kind of operation.
> Maybe I've just been lucky before...
>
> What are the basics about games wrt muling? I.e., when does a game go
> away? I had heard that the game has to be active for 10 min at least,
> but I've experimented and shown that not to be true in all cases.
>
> Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
> always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.
>
> Thanks in advance

The game only has to be active 5 minutes to stay active when it's empty. How
long it stays open I can't say, but long enough to log out and log back in
with a char on another account.

It's a good idea to open the game with your mule, and when the 5 minutes has
gone by, log in with the char that's got the loot. That way you're sure the
game's open before dropping anything.

And of course never use this type of muling if it's stuff you can't afford
to loose, but I guess you already figured that one out ;)

Muling in non-empty games is of course better, and if you can get someone
you trust to hold your stuff that would be best. I don't about USEast, but
the AGD games on USWest are usually a pretty safe place to mule, and if it's
something really uber, I can usually find someone to hold it for me while I
get another char.

HTH

Devast8or

mark

"Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> What are the basics about games wrt muling?

In addition to what's already been said:

* Don't switch characters too quickly, this can trigger the anti-botting
measures and give you 'Realm Down'.

* You can also try the 'quickie' mule, but this is less reliable, good for
only muling an item or two. Start a game, drop the item and leave
immediately. Then bring in the mule and pick it up. If the game is active
for less than a minute, it will last for about a minute. Never do this with
anything valuable. But for giving an item to another character who can use
it, it's great.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

Nobody wrote:
> Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
> always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.
>
> Thanks in advance

Others have given what you need to know, but I'll add this--

It's probably a good idea to always leave the game and reenter it before
dropping any items just to make sure the game's stable, AND to make sure
that you've remembered the game name/pw and typed it correctly. Heh, it's
probably worse to lose items like that than to a lagged-out game, and it's
something we've all done, too.

To that end, always use the same name//pw for your muling games--or make up
a game//pw naming system that's simple and easy for you to remember. Maybe
since you use "Nobody" as your nick here, something like nb11//bn12--the "n"
and "b" for NoBody, of course. What you *don't* want to do is get in the
habit of using a bunch of random gobbledygook like ahahann//10mnma for your
games.

Oh, and DON'T EVER drop something on the ground you're not prepared to lose.
If there's a Muling Rule #1, that's it.
--
chainbreaker

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Mark wrote:
> In addition to what's already been said:
>
> * Don't switch characters too quickly, this can trigger the anti-botting
> measures and give you 'Realm Down'.

Thanks to all who have replied -- along the lines of this comment, I
found a page in the bnet support:

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0689p

I quote from the page above:

> # Creating numerous games within a short time period
>
> * Common causes include muling, magic finding, and Baal/Pindleskin runs.

This response makes it sounds as if such things are bad from bnet's
point of view...

I searched briefly their site for the word "muling" and only found this
page. Does anyone know if "muling" is technically allowed on bnet? I
know that maphack, etc. are not. I know some purists have criticised the
fact that muling is enabled by allowing multiple players, etc.

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
> <snippers>
> > What are the basics about games wrt muling? I.e., when does a game go
> > away? I had heard that the game has to be active for 10 min at least,
> > but I've experimented and shown that not to be true in all cases.
> >
> > Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
> > always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> Generally, the approach that works is to create a normal game and play for
5
> minutes. I've always found that the amount of time it takes me to get to
> Baal and kill him is around 7-8 minutes, which is sufficient. Then leave
> the game and re-enter it with the character holding the item(s) you wish
> mule. Drop the item. Leave the game and enter with the mule. Pick up
the
> item. Rinse and repeat.
>
> If you leave a game before the 5 minutes are up, the game disappears.
>
> The element of uncertainty here is the general unpredicability of
> battle.net. Most experienced players have more than one story of having a
> game disappear spontaneously, usually when a lot of high-value items are
> laying on the ground. I try to only mule 3-4 items at a time as a result,
> and I never mule a really valuable item with the above approach. Instead,
> find a trustworthy friend who can hold the item for you while you bring
the
> mule into the game.

Btw: In Diablo2 as in many places there are friends and "friends".

If you have sufficiantly high enough items to warrant it (and maybe even if
you dont) then people will pretend to be your friends in order to steal
items you may lend them or try to mule in their games.

I have lost an Enigma and a few other items in this manner so now only mule
items by myself or with my girlfriend (who also plays D2). Watch yourself
:¬)

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Nobody wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm on US East Ladder 1.10 LOD. I only have one copy of LOD and I'd
> > like to dump some of my items to a mule. However, I'm in NM now, and
> > it's harder since my mule is still in normal.
> >
> > I had some bad luck trying to create a game in Normal level and move
> > the items. When my mule wanted to come in, the game was gone. The loss
> > wasn't that bad, but now I'm gun-shy about this kind of operation.
> > Maybe I've just been lucky before...
> >
> > What are the basics about games wrt muling? I.e., when does a game go
> > away? I had heard that the game has to be active for 10 min at least,
> > but I've experimented and shown that not to be true in all cases.
> >
> > Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
> > always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> The game only has to be active 5 minutes to stay active when it's empty.
How
> long it stays open I can't say, but long enough to log out and log back in
> with a char on another account.
>
> It's a good idea to open the game with your mule, and when the 5 minutes
has
> gone by, log in with the char that's got the loot. That way you're sure
the
> game's open before dropping anything.
>
> And of course never use this type of muling if it's stuff you can't afford
> to loose, but I guess you already figured that one out ;)
>
> Muling in non-empty games is of course better, and if you can get someone
> you trust to hold your stuff that would be best. I don't about USEast, but
> the AGD games on USWest are usually a pretty safe place to mule, and if
it's
> something really uber, I can usually find someone to hold it for me while
> get another char.

Another hint might be not to switch characters / accounts too fast when
muling or you will get a "Realm Down". As a general rule I stay in a game f
or atleast 3 minutes every time I join/create a game 3 times.

IE:
CharA makes game & waits 6 minutes before dropping items.
MuleArmorA enters and gets his stuff
MuleArmorB enters and gets remaining armor
MuleWeapA enters and gets weapons... then waits in game for 3 minutes.
MuleRuney enters to get runes
MuleIK enters to pickup that stupid hammer (again).
(Every 3 joins = wait 3 mins)

This method has been very sucessful in stopping the "Realm Down" plague of
muling so far... until bNet tries to fight an unrelated problem and does it
in a wrong way (again) affecting legit players.

~misfit~ wrote:
> Devast8or wrote:
>>
>> Muling in non-empty games is of course better, and if you can get
>> someone you trust to hold your stuff that would be best. I don't
>> about USEast, but the AGD games on USWest are usually a pretty safe
>> place to mule, and if it's something really uber, I can usually find
>> someone to hold it for me while I get another char.
>
> A note about muling in AGD games, don't drop stuff you are muling
> inside the square around the fire, wander over by Charsi or Gheed or
> somewhere to drop it. AGD games have a policy that anything dropped
> around the fire is free for the taking (Great for starting
> characters, I got a helping hand a few times like that when I started
> playing on the realms).

Yes, of course. I forgot that (very important) bit of information. Thanks
misfit.

Devast8or

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm on US East Ladder 1.10 LOD. I only have one copy of LOD and I'd like
> to dump some of my items to a mule. However, I'm in NM now, and it's
> harder since my mule is still in normal.
>
> I had some bad luck trying to create a game in Normal level and move the
> items. When my mule wanted to come in, the game was gone. The loss wasn't
> that bad, but now I'm gun-shy about this kind of operation. Maybe I've
> just been lucky before...
>
> What are the basics about games wrt muling? I.e., when does a game go
> away? I had heard that the game has to be active for 10 min at least, but
> I've experimented and shown that not to be true in all cases.
>
> Obviously muling inside a game where others are is possible, but I've
> always been afraid to lose my stuff to the other folks.

Bnet was being a right royal git last night. Tons of lag, game freezes etc
no way in hell I would mule a damn thing. Everyone has told you about the
quickie and 5 minute mule. Seeing as your on East you can gimme a holler if
I am on and I will babysit while you xfer. (account *SorrensSorrow). Oh and
I am not like Trammel's "friends" 8D

--
In a World Full of Insanity
Here I Stand.

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 01:03:33 +0200, "Devast8or"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>It's a good idea to open the game with your mule, and when the 5 minutes has
>gone by, log in with the char that's got the loot. That way you're sure the
>game's open before dropping anything.

It's always best to join the game at least once before muling. This
way you know that the game is stable and you have the game name and PW
right.

Another piece of advice is not to rush. Take at least 10 seconds
between every action. This way you wont trigger an IP block. I know
you will be anxious to retrive your stuff but the game will last for 5
minutes once you leave and doing things too qucikly, especially
switching between accounts, can get you tagged and then your stuff is
lost.

Nobody wrote:
> http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0689p
>
> I quote from the page above:
>
> > # Creating numerous games within a short time period
> >
> > * Common causes include muling, magic finding, and
> > Baal/Pindleskin runs.
>
> This response makes it sounds as if such things are bad from bnet's
> point of view...
>
> I searched briefly their site for the word "muling" and only found
> this page. Does anyone know if "muling" is technically allowed on
> bnet? I know that maphack, etc. are not. I know some purists have
> criticised the fact that muling is enabled by allowing multiple
> players, etc.

Somewhere on the Blizzard pages it says "We do not support muling". So if
you do it - it is at your own risk. They are not actively against it,
otherwise they would probably have found other words, like on the
description page for unique charms where they write "we want to discourage
people from trading the charms by not letting them place the charms in the
trade window".

--
AGD2 FAQ: http://www.gunde.de/diablo2/agd2faq.php

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote:

>In addition to what's already been said:
>
>* Don't switch characters too quickly, this can trigger the anti-botting
>measures and give you 'Realm Down'.

Another addition: Even if you get a "Realm Down" because of having
switched between mule(s) and main char too often, you're items are
probably not lost.

* Switch to Windows Desktop and disconnect your internet connection.
* Re-connect to your ISP.
* Login to Battle.net.
* Login to the game that you made stable by following the advice all
others gave you here.
* Collect items.

This in fact only works if you have dynamic IPs and not a static one,
because the old one is banned for some time.

But, the safest way is to make friends here anyways, as agd2 players
are not known for being grabbers. :^)

J:
NP: -
--