Sign in with
Your question

UT2003

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2002 5:21:32 AM

I just picked up UT2003. So of course I cranked up all of the video settings to the max. 1600X1200, 32 bit, highest detail, etc. So when I click on the last setting the announcer guy says "HOLY SH!T" with the SH!T echoing and fading out! I laughed my buttocks off. If you get the game try it. BTW with my 9700 I'm running with everything maxed and it seems pretty smooth. There was some stuttering which I think may just be lag because it seemed to occur sporadically and not just when there was a lot of action going on. I'll have to test it in single player mode and see if it still stutters.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

More about : ut2003

September 29, 2002 12:40:43 PM

Yeah, I can run smooth single player, but when I do multi, it lags sometimes. I think it's either there's more action, or it's just internet lag.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
September 29, 2002 1:13:32 PM

It's definitely internet lag, I find myself getting killed before I see anyone around me at some times in the day. Extreme lag makes the game unplayable online at times, and I have a 3mbps cable connection. :frown:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.
Related resources
September 30, 2002 12:16:55 PM

I heard that UT2003 needs a *sick* computer to run a server.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
September 30, 2002 1:01:46 PM

Quote:

I heard that UT2003 needs a *sick* computer to run a server.

You need a fast internet connection with low ping time more than anything. I can run UT2003 on my LAN quite smoothly (although my other computers require that I lower the IQ level in the game because they have weaker graphics cards). It's when you move to a WAN connection (in this case, the Internet), that the lag makes the game less playable. It seems to me UT2003 requires a lot of NET bandwidth compared to previous FPS games. I would really feel sorry for any dial-up users trying to play UT2K3 online.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.
September 30, 2002 8:42:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a dailup user with an annoying local phone company that gives me between a 36.6Kb and a 40Kb connection. I've never had it go over 42. :(  I was sure looking forward to UT2003 (having only very recently picked up a UT GOTY Ed. for $10 at WalMart), but if 2003 is a bandwidth hog, I'm so very screwed.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
October 1, 2002 2:12:25 AM

I think companies should start creating bandwidth limits in their games, in order to make sure lag is reduced as much per server size. Up to 32 players is a huge strain in new games, and I'd say a minimum of T1 should be req.
Some idiots can put up a 16 player game with DSL 1MBPS, in UT2003, gee whizzy.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
October 1, 2002 6:15:19 PM

Quote:
Were you planning to play it on yer Celeron?!

**ROFL** Yeah, as if that were even possible. :p 

No, I'd been hoping to get a new machine in another quarter or two. (Probably my Xmas gift to myself.) I mean with UT2003 and Doom3 on the horizon, a Celeron 500 just isn't going to cut it. :( 

Though really my main reason for wanting the new system is to learn how to do DX8&9 3D programming and maybe, finally, get working on my own games. I swear, one of these days I'll get around to that. But it's hard to work with bit-masked copying of polymorphic skins to fit any reasonable warping of a generic 3D model with any combination of 'partial' skins when your PC can barely even run a 3D game in 800x600.

The idea that I want to work the bugs out of is to have a generic human figure that can be warped to be fat, thin, whatever. Then use bitmaps based on the generic figure for <i>just</i> a shirt, <i>just</i> a pair of pants, etc. Then using bitmasking to determine what parts of the image are transparent and what parts aren't, you merge the individual pieces of clothing into a single 'skin'. Then copy the actual skin into the still transparent parts to fill out the 'skin' so that none of it is transparent anymore.

Then using the information on how the generic model was warped, stretch or shrink parts of the complete 'skin' image to fit the warpings of the 3D model.

And violla, you have a human model where you can make them look however you want, short, tall, pudgy, obese, wafer-thin, whatever. You can outfit this model with a specific hat, a specific shirt, a specific pair of pants, a specific pair of shoes. And each item (hat, shirt, etc.) only requires one base graphic to be drawn by the game designer and will work for <i>any</i> model that is a warping of the base model.

Think of just how customizable character appearances could be in games with that kind of morphability, because now the game engine itself is saving the graphic artists all of the work from designing individual looks and feels to each and every character that doesn't fit the same generic model (or models).

But, as I said, a Celeron 500 with 128MB of RAM and a PCI Savage4 video is just <i>not</i> enough to work on that kind of code, because as I'm currently invisioning it, you just might be able to use the pixel shaders to do all of the work. It would be cool if you could anyway, because then you could have the video card working out all of the morphic character information to store back into main memory for use in play while the CPU is crunching on loading a level. And for that I'd prefer to have DX9.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
October 2, 2002 1:49:54 AM

It's great to see you're getting into this. I am thinking in fact of expanding my future projects. I guess in order it will be like this:

-Gaming Graphics producer, so I can get experimented in 3D and CG.
-Go to Squaresoft, and create a new kind of TV CG show, which I hope to god it will remain uncreated until I do. This has been a dream since 4 years, and I constantly get more stressed as time passes, as I fear someone will get the idea and take it. (for personal trust reasons I cannot divulge what the purpose of the show is, and why it is to remain hidden)
-Get into semiconductors, perhaps even work in a fab, if by that time they still function like now.

I think making many roads in life not only makes it more fun, but you're likely to discover and do a lot. The fact you have over 30 years in front, is discouraging when you're only gonna do ONE job during that time. I'd pray for those people's sakes. I will do diversity, to make sure I don't get tired of the same thing!

BTW why do you always say violla? Are you saying it in french? Cuz it's voilà!

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
October 2, 2002 5:44:42 PM

Post some links if you have any. I want to see what your up too.

I´m getting interested in this kind of stuff myself. Still not even getting started though.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
October 3, 2002 1:12:59 AM

Who, me?

I have nothing! :wink:
I don't have any fancy 3D software, nor any ideas how to use them. I don't have time anyway, my school year now is so much more charged than last year, I get homeworks on average lasting 2-3 hours a day, although I don't mind it anymore and find it rather normal and fun. But my projects remain in my head and only add to themselves, not change or fade in interest. I love the tech sector, I love drawing, I need to make my show, I want to make chips, perhaps help design them, I just want to explore the tech world in what I most excel and find fun!

--
October 4, 2002 12:51:39 AM

LOL... I'm addicted to this game. Play it online far too much. BTW, my name is Chuck online so if you see me, try not to frag me too bad :wink: . I try to stay with servers with pings of <100. Love the game. Contemplating whether to spend $75CDN to get the full game or not.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
October 4, 2002 2:06:35 AM

Quote:
I'm addicted to this game.

I'm an addict too. Need... more... Unreal... I love double domination. Intense. Look for Ezblader and my friend, Honkey_Mutha.

October 4, 2002 2:40:57 PM

I know what you mean, I´m kind of busy too. I still try to make a few hours for spending here and doing other stuff on the computer.

October 4, 2002 7:08:32 PM

I only play bombing run, everything else is too hard.

October 5, 2002 8:23:44 PM

Chuck.

Pleaze tell me how you play that damn football game?!?!?!!!?!????!

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!
October 5, 2002 10:51:28 PM

On one board I believe it's called Free Falling, sort of like that board you play on the roof tops in UT. With 16 players off line it's not very smooth, mainly on the roof top. I turned everything off or to it's lowest setting on UT3, plus my PC, overclock my card and CPU, turned off 4X, and still at certain parts on the roof top my FPS can go below 30.

For the most part my FPS are much higher and the game play is smooth, but there are some pretty demanding boards.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?
October 6, 2002 1:05:21 AM

The object is to get the ball and shove it into the goal much like Rollerball. However, if you have the ball you can't shoot anybody.

October 6, 2002 1:47:40 AM

Yeah, mainly, I never try to get the ball, cause then you get attention of about 10 people who are trying to kill you.

I just run and jump around and rack up kills...

!