Pocket Wi-Fi Signal Detectors

I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The
Kensington WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from
Smartid (Singapore). The reviews I've been able to find suggest the
four-LED WiFi Finder and WiFiSeeker are similar and heads above the
three-LED Kensington.

Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
(www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?

paul.devivo@christianliving.com (Paul DeVivo) wrote in message news:<7cb6c348.0406230458.3cb50317@posting.google.com>...
> I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The
> Kensington WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from
> Smartid (Singapore). The reviews I've been able to find suggest the
> four-LED WiFi Finder and WiFiSeeker are similar and heads above the
> three-LED Kensington.
>
> Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
> (www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?

The Seeker review I read said that the Seeker and the Detector had
similar performance but favored the Seeker due to its smaller size.
I've been using a Detector for several months and been quite happy
with it- it fits quite comfortably into a front pocket so getting a
smaller version of the same thing holds no attraction for me.

And yes, the Kensington is garbage.

-Gabriel

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

On 25 Jun 2004 08:46:22 -0700, Gabriel <archangel@technologist.com> wrote:
> paul.devivo@christianliving.com (Paul DeVivo) wrote in message news:<7cb6c348.0406230458.3cb50317@posting.google.com>...
>> I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The
>> Kensington WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from
>> Smartid (Singapore). The reviews I've been able to find suggest the
>> four-LED WiFi Finder and WiFiSeeker are similar and heads above the
>> three-LED Kensington.
>>
>> Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
>> (www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?
>
> The Seeker review I read said that the Seeker and the Detector had
> similar performance but favored the Seeker due to its smaller size.
> I've been using a Detector for several months and been quite happy
> with it- it fits quite comfortably into a front pocket so getting a
> smaller version of the same thing holds no attraction for me.
>
> And yes, the Kensington is garbage.
>
> -Gabriel

As an aside I did contact the makers of the Smartid detector and I
was told That one red light is approx. -70db signal and 2 lights
approx -64db signal. The only chance I've had so far of checking my
stuff out is sitting with a borrowed laptop in a 1 to 2 signal area
and
getting full 11Mbps connection.
HTH
Jon
--

Mail sent to the above address doesn't get read.
To send email replace domain with fastmail.co.uk