  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
a b } Memory
August 7, 2005 2:10:09 PM

G'day mates,

My old Dell 4100 still has its basic 128 MB memory as bought.
I'm thinking of adding a 256 MB module.

Are there any "gotchas" in doing this? Specifically, is there any
need, or perhaps just some performance advantage, to set it up one way
or the other?

The options as they appear to me are:

1. Leave the 128 where it is and add 256 in the other slot; or

2. Replace the 128 with the 256 and put the 128 in the other slot.

My inclination is to leave the 128 MB module where it is if there's no
real reason to shift it -- no point in risking potential damage if
there's little point in doing so.

I might add, if it's relevant, that the main motivation for this
upgrade is to move from Windows ME to XP Pro.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

More about : upgrade dell 4100 memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 7, 2005 2:10:10 PM

There's no difference. I've upgraded 4 of mine
both ways and seen no differences.

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> My old Dell 4100 still has its basic 128 MB memory as
> bought.
> I'm thinking of adding a 256 MB module.
>
> Are there any "gotchas" in doing this? Specifically, is
> there any
> need, or perhaps just some performance advantage, to set
> it up one way
> or the other?
>
> The options as they appear to me are:
>
> 1. Leave the 128 where it is and add 256 in the other
> slot; or
>
> 2. Replace the 128 with the 256 and put the 128 in the
> other slot.
>
> My inclination is to leave the 128 MB module where it is
> if there's no
> real reason to shift it -- no point in risking potential
> damage if
> there's little point in doing so.
>
> I might add, if it's relevant, that the main motivation
> for this
> upgrade is to move from Windows ME to XP Pro.
>

> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 7, 2005 2:10:10 PM

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> My old Dell 4100 still has its basic 128 MB memory as bought.
> I'm thinking of adding a 256 MB module.
>
> Are there any "gotchas" in doing this? Specifically, is there any
> need, or perhaps just some performance advantage, to set it up one way
> or the other?
>
> The options as they appear to me are:
>
> 1. Leave the 128 where it is and add 256 in the other slot; or
>
> 2. Replace the 128 with the 256 and put the 128 in the other slot.
>
> My inclination is to leave the 128 MB module where it is if there's no
> real reason to shift it -- no point in risking potential damage if
> there's little point in doing so.
>
> I might add, if it's relevant, that the main motivation for this
> upgrade is to move from Windows ME to XP Pro.
>

> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Phred,

Perhaps you may come across a local shop or retailer selling PC133 DIMMs
cheaply or even reasonably. That would be ideal. Vendors here in the U.S.,
such as www.crucial.com are becoming very "proud" of those DIMMs and are
charging fairly high prices - when compared to current DDR RAM DIMMs.

Depending on your comfort level, you might look here:
http://search.ebay.com.au/512mb-PC133-SDRAM_W0QQfromZR4... and even find a
pair of 256mb DIMMs for less than the price of one at retail prices....

The machine max is 512mb.

Good luck,

Stew
(Former 4100 owner)
August 7, 2005 4:33:10 PM

make sure you get the right kind of matching memory

!