Video skips/stutters after sleep

CanadianZ

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hello,
I have a quad core AMD and an ATI 4350 and it plays all SD and HD videos fine as long as it has been rebooted. If I have woken the computer up from sleep all the video I try skips or barely plays at all. Both SD and HD video.

I have my power setting set to "balanced". I am pretty sure it must be related to that but I don't know where to go from there. I am running windows 7 64 bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks, CanadianZ

PS I have updated all my drivers for my video card

CanadianZ

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Specs:
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad
780G chipset
Motherboard is MSI MS-7548 (integrated graphics but appears not to be utilized)
ATI HD4350
8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
750 7200 RPM SATA HD
Hauppauge TV Tuner with Remote Control Media Cntr
Vista Home Premium with Win 7 Upgrade
DVD Burner and Blu-Ray Player
300 Watt PS

HDD is a seagate

Welcome to Tom's CandadianZ. I also saw your post on AVSforum. Exactly which driver version are you using for your video card? I know you stated that you updated your video card drivers, but I just want the specifics. Particularly since I had the exact problem you describe using ATI catalyst 9.9 - 9.12 drivers. I'm just trying to rule out that possibility.

CanadianZ

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Thanks for the help.

The drivers I am using are the 8.741 for the ATI Radeon 4350 and catalyst 10.6. I see there is a 10.7 just out recently but I read the release notes and it doesn't mention anything about the problem I am having.

I switched my sleep settings to high performance but that only shuts the monitor down and doesn't do anything for saving power on the tower AFAIK. I was hoping to narrow down the problem a bit.

Thanks again,

CanadianZ

CanadianZ

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

I tried going to the Bios when booting but could not find this option. Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks for the help though.

CanadianZ

Three things to try:

#1: In the Power Management Options, there is a section for PCI express settings in the Advanced properties. Play with the settings in there to see that fixes the problem.

#2 Take out the HD4350 and switch to the onboard video. See if you still have the same problem. This will rule out the video card as the culprit anyways.

#3 Try to play the video in a different software player like MPC-HC or VLC. If it plays OK in these players, there might be a codec or Windows problem.

CanadianZ

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

All software does this. MPC, VLC, windows media player....

Thanks, CanadianZ

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

(i hate it when people dont fill out their info on config, so we dont know what were up against.
would be nice to know your motherboard manuf. and model)

bios has an option on- S3 standby/sleep or "STR" (suspend to RAM) - enable it
(especially if its on S1)