Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit .....XP MODE

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 18, 2009 6:45:49 PM

hi guys,
i currently have vista 32-bit. I want to get windows 7 ultimate and i like the windows xp mode option. My only concern is if i get 7 in 64 bit will the windows xp mode be 64 bit? I can't have xp 64 bit because i will not be able to run my school programs such as XILINX

Thank you.

More about : windows bit bit mode

a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2009 10:03:34 PM

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 and my XP virtual machine is the 32-bit version of XP - so you should be fine.

Score
0
September 19, 2009 6:16:54 AM

thanks man!
i got another question.
I have a vista ultimate that i got from a friend. Its not "genuine" but it fully activated.
Will i be able to use the windows 7 upgrade disc or download?
Score
0
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 19, 2009 6:48:05 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by not being "genuine", but if it has a valid license key you should be able to use it as the basis for an upgrade.
Score
0
September 19, 2009 6:49:42 AM

i do not have a license key for it. I installed an already activated iso of vista.
Score
0
September 19, 2009 7:07:37 PM

Quote:
i do not have a license key for it. I installed an already activated iso of vista.


No licence key means You are not legally owning it so You don't qualify for upgrade because You don't have anything to upgrade.
It might work but it would not be legal or morally correct to use upgrade. If You are looking to save money look at OEM version to buy. You mention school so You might be able to get W7 professional/enterprise free of charge as a student.
Score
0
a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 20, 2009 8:42:09 PM

ainarssems said:
You mention school so You might be able to get W7 professional/enterprise free of charge as a student.


FYI - it's $30 in the US (£30 in the UK), and applies to Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional, not Professional and Enterprise.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2009 12:31:55 AM

mowglismlxl said:
hi guys,
i currently have vista 32-bit. I want to get windows 7 ultimate and i like the windows xp mode option. My only concern is if i get 7 in 64 bit will the windows xp mode be 64 bit? I can't have xp 64 bit because i will not be able to run my school programs such as XILINX

Thank you.


I am currently running Windows 7 RC 64 Bit, and Windows XP Home 32 Bit on the same machine in dual boot configuration, there is no incompatibility problems, no "confusion" with the 2 different operating system modes. I have partitoned a 160GB SATA drive in half, and run W7 64 Bit, and XPHome 32 Bit, on the same HDD.
If I can get away with this, then you should have no problem running them both. I hope this helps?
Score
0
September 21, 2009 1:59:41 PM

Quote:
FYI - it's $30 in the US (£30 in the UK), and applies to Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional, not Professional and Enterprise.


I got mine for free(professional) and could get enterprise as well from my ACM student subscription which is $19. Home was definately not there as they are intended for students to learn about business/enterprise use not for home use.They have pulled W7 from downloads now but it should be back up later. But Vista Business, XP Pro available all the time.
Score
0
a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 21, 2009 11:59:33 PM

Must be a different program then....? The offer I saw for students purchasing Windows 7 was for Home Premium and Professional at $30 USD if you purchase with an email address from an established college or university in the US, UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea or Mexico.
Score
0
June 11, 2010 1:41:41 PM

Also I'd like to clarify is there a windows XP mode running 64bit ? :pt1cable: 
Score
0
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 11, 2010 2:08:03 PM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
Score
0
!