MSI GF4 4200 64mb problem

zimen

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
Hi, I've got a problem with my newly bought MSI G4 4200, whenever I try to load a game in Open GL or Direct 3d the computer crashes totally. My computer specs is: AMD Athlon 1,1 Ghz, 512 mb sdram, Abit kt7a raid mainboard and newest drivers.

Starwind

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
how many games do you have, and which one does it crash on?

I have asus TI 4200 64 megs.
Aoe 2: age of kings.. it crashesd after awhile. Aquanox i cannot use any special features without choppiness.

Another question, do you have heatsinks on your ram? Reason why, my video card's ram gets hot (i can feel the heat radiating from it when i let my hand hover over it. The ram does not have heat sinks.

I am exploring all the options. either the nvidia drivers and asus drivers are not working right in XP... or they should of added heatsinks. I thought why would some games crash and some not? I have no clue! :( (I am just letting you know you are not alone).

zimen

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
Actually I fixed the problem. I think my motherboard is too old to be fully compatible with the graphics card.

Anyway I set the agp mode in the bios from 4x to 2x and it worked like a dream.

About the games: GTA 3, Mafia, Aquanox, Sacrifice, Half-life and Battlefield 1942. Before I changed the AGP mode absolutely all of my games crashed after a little while.

My ram doesn't have heatsinks, only the gpu.
My card isn't as hot as yours I think, the only heat I can feel is from under the GPU, so you may have a problem there.

Good luck.